Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 796 Words
  • 1,780 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 3. Chapter 3

During the next two years, Lucinius had invitations to sit in on the Senate deliberations. On the days Gaius would take him, he made mental notes, and upon arriving home, he committed those notes to his scroll. It didn’t take long for him to fill a second chest with his scrolls. But Gaius wasn’t the only grandfather that was interested in his grandson. Lucius Caecus had Senate friends who kept him informed of what was happening. Included with that information was information about Lucinius.

In the middle of the year, the temperature in Rome reached its highest. Even though living on a hill provided some relief, the winds kept the temperature a little cooler, but it was still hot. Using the heat as an excuse, Lucius invited the family to visit him at his Villa. The reports he had received on Lucinius piqued his interest in the boy. Appias looked favorably on the invitation and sent a reply to his father accepting his invitation.

Fourteen days later, along with their attending slaves, they left in the early morning when it was cooler. The ride would be about ten hours, which meant they would arrive early in the evening. Celia knew they would need to stop at least once, so she packed a meal of bread, cheese, fruit, and wine. While they traveled, Lucinius asked many questions. This was his first time outside the walls of Rome. Riding in front of the cart, next to his father, he directed these questions to his father, who wasn’t pleased. There were no citizens around for him to cover up his animosity.

Celia told her son, in Greek, to remember his questions, and she would answer them later. The rest of the ride went quietly. Lucinius dropped back behind the cart so he wouldn’t bother his father, who was in front. Lucinius wasn’t a fool. He knew his father didn’t like him, but not the why. He had a vague idea of how his father treated Duccius but couldn’t understand what he did to deserve his father’s resentment. He wasn’t a person who brought shame on the family. He tried to do just the opposite and bring honor to the family. As he let these thoughts run through his mind, he was very quiet and sad. He realized that he’d never have the love of his father or the respect he showed toward Duccius. He wasn’t happy, and his mother saw his downcast look. Talking to him in Greek, “Lucinius, do not let him bother you. Look at what you have achieved that will mark you as the man you are. Life will show you some people will see, and some people are blind. Your father is blind; maybe one day he will see.”

Lucinius contemplated these words as he rode along. It was hard to realize he would never be able to feel the love of his father. As he rode, he prayed to Apollo that his grandfather could see and wouldn’t be blind. The family stopped along a stream. Lucinius led his horses to the water and then led the mules to the water. His father yelled, “You should have taken my horse to the water before the mules.” Lucinius said to himself, “He is blind. He didn’t see the mules needed the water more than his horse. Nor did he see he could’ve taken his horse, or one of the slaves could’ve taken it. He is truly blind.” Thinking this, Lucinius put a smile on his face. Celia’s attendant gave Lucinius some food. Speaking in Greek, “Your father is tired. Let the gods see to your father.” “Thank you Calliope, I’ll pray to Apollo.” If Appias had heard this exchange, he would have had Calliope beaten for being so bold and tending to Lucinius. Even though Calliope was Celia’s slave, everything Celia owned was his since he was the master of his house. There was no one to argue against this as Roman law allowed a man to own everything and everyone in his house, including family.

Resuming their trip, it wasn’t long when they could feel the cooler air. The cooler air was a breeze coming from the ocean. Lucinius perked up as he realized they were getting close to the Villa and the sea. He began to pay more attention to his surroundings. Soon he could see the Villa in the far distance. He had the urge to speed up and reach the Villa before his father and mother. But he knew that would just set off his father again. He did move up and rode beside the cart rather than behind, where he was riding. His mother looked at him and smiled. She was proud of her son even if Appias wasn’t.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 7
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Mi piace molto di come racconti, ma devo evidenziare che dalla zona di Roma non si sente l’odore dell’oceano, ma del mediterraneo, scusami.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Kev said:

Appias reminds me so much of my own father as he held me up by the throat against the wall when my mother died and called me a murderer. My mother had cancer when I was born and refused treatment until the birth; by then in those days it was too late...

He always blamed me... 25 years later I still heard those words echoing in my head when he wanted to have my son spend the week with him 'murderer'. He literally turned up with a case to take my boy and wouldn't listen to me... We never let him take him, it was the one time my ex showed her claws when she told him to suck it up and become a man! she also called the police and had them on the phone in case they were needed. May have been a bitch but she reminds me of Lucinius' mother, hurt her son and hell better watch out and get ready.

Loving the story 😊

I wondered why your father was so against you and now I know why. Yes, you don't mess with a mother when her child is in danger

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Chris L said:

Ain't nobody learned nuthin yet ... don't mess with momma's baby! LOL!!! LOL!!! 

A mother hen she is. You don't mess with her child. You would think Appias would be happy since he didn't hav Keto take care o fLucinius.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Apias may have the power, but don't mess with mother

The power behind the throne. Women have been that power for centuries.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Nuzzulinu said:

Mi piace molto di come racconti, ma devo evidenziare che dalla zona di Roma non si sente l’odore dell’oceano, ma del mediterraneo, scusami.

Lei ha ragione, le mie scuse

  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Just please let Lucius be 100% different than his Son. Please! I am so worried about Lucinius.

Celia can only do so much.

  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Buz said:

Just please let Lucius be 100% different than his Son. Please! I am so worried about Lucinius.

Celia can only do so much.

Don't worry about Lucinius, he has a strong mother. Apollo will protect him

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..