Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,149 Words
  • 1,071 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 13. Chapter 13

As time passed, the boys tending the animal sheds had a surprise for Lucinius. They had caught several rabbits and placed them in a shed. Lucinius smiled. He knew that his boys were behind him, just like Aumen. He’d prove a freedman will work harder than a slave. Knowing how rabbits multiplied, he now was guaranteed rabbit and wild pig for an occasional roast.

They had just finished a midday meal when they saw a rider coming toward the house. One of the boys working in the garden told Lucinius, who was in the grove, that a rider was approaching. Lucinius went to see who it was. He knew it wasn’t his grandfathers or his father. As the rider got close to the house, Lucinius couldn’t believe his eyes. It was Duccius. He knew he said he would visit when he left the Army but didn’t say when. “Curzio, go and tell Felix to prepare some food. That’s my brother.”

The smiles on the faces of the brothers would have lightened a dark room. Duccius no sooner dismounted when Lucinius has his arms around him. One of the boys, Adom, took Duccius’s horse and led him to the stables. There he would feed him and give him water. “I didn’t know you were coming. You said when you left the Army.”

“I left the Army last week. We finished the campaign, and my commander agreed to my departure.”

“You musty be hungry, come and eat.” Lucinius led Duccius to the kitchen, where Felix had prepared his egg special. “I have a little wine. My grapes aren’t ready.”

“No wine, I’d like some water.” Felix heard that and went and got water from the well. It was cold and would refresh the soldier. He set the clay jug on the table with a cup. Duccius smiled at him as he poured the water into the cup.

After he had his fill, the brothers went to the courtyard where they could talk. “You have a Villa. I didn’t know father love you this much to give you a Villa.”

Lucinius laughed, “He didn’t give me this. He gave me the land, which was free. Our grandfathers helped me, or I’d be living in a shed with the animals.”

“I don’t understand. Mother said he gave you land outside of Rome. I figured it would be a house with a small piece of land, not this.”

“Father made a mistake. He thought it was a small piece of land strewn with the battle remnants that were fought here. But the architect checked the grant and found what he had given me was free land that encompassed all of this.”

Duccius started to laugh, “I’ll bet he’s mad. Did he try and take it back?”

“Yes, but I think our grandfathers stopped him.”

The brothers spent the afternoon catching up until the men started to show up for the evening meal. Duccius was surprised to see them in tunics and sandals. “How much are you paying these men? It must cost a lot of money to hire this many?”

Lucinius just laughed, “I’ll tell you later. There are Aumen and Felix. I think it’s time to eat.”

“Do you have a place where I can clean up before I eat?”

“Yes, Sandro, would you please show my brother to the Baths.” Sandro smiled and nodded yes.

All cleaned and dressed in a tunic, Duccius returned to the courtyard. “The bath was just what I needed.”

“After you eat, I’ll show you your room.”

The brothers enjoy the evening. Some of the boys told stories that probably were told to them by their parents and grandparents. As the evening drew to a close, Lucinius showed Duccius his room on the second floor. Duccius was happy for his brother. He prayed to Mars, asking for his blessing on his brother. Little did he know, but Lucinius was praying to Apollo, asking for the same thing.

In the morning, as the boys came dressed for work, Duccius was surprised. These were the same boys who were at supper last night. He looked at Lucinius, confused.

Lucinius laughed, “You remember I told you I thought men should be free. The first slave I bought with money from Gaius, Aumen. I treated him as a freedman. He worked harder than the slaves that Father has. I knew that if a man was free, treated as a brother, he would give more of himself than a man who needed a whip to work. These boys are all free. They know that I treat them with the respect a freedman would get. They work hard. They know what they get is the freedom they buy with their loyalty. When you’re finished eating, I’ll show you.”

Felix came and cleared the tables as the boys left to go to work. Duccius watched as they passed the statue of Apollo, they stopped and offered a prayer. Walking with Lucinius, he watched the boys working. When they got to the animal sheds, he saw three boys tending to the sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, and rabbits. He laughed when he saw the rabbits. He also noticed that the boys were happy during their work. He remembered how he had seen men being whipped for what these boys accomplished with smiles. When they went to the grove, he asked about the trees. He recognized the olive, peach, apple, and fig trees. “What are these trees? I don’t recognize them.”

"These trees are cherry, these are plums, these are dates, and these are pears. These trees came from grandfather’s Villa in the south.” Duccius was amazed at how well the grove looked. It was way better than their father’s.

“No grape vines?”

“Yes, but they aren’t ready for making wine. Grandfathers gave me some starters. They haven’t produced enough grapes to make wine. Even if they did, I don’t have a press. But I’ll show you what I have.” Walking to where he had his grapevines, Duccius noted that when they had grown and started to produce sufficient grapes for making wine, Lucinius would be able to sell a lot of wine.

Then he saw the one vine that had an unusual grape. “What is that?”

“We found this vine on the property, Aumen watered it, and slowly it came back to life. The grapes aren’t sweet, but Felix uses the juice in his cooking. It adds a nice flavor.”

Duccius had a lot to think about that evening. He wasn’t sure about freeing slaves, but he had to admit the loyalty shown by the boys to Lucinius was something his father didn’t have. The way they worked and their pride in their work definitely was different, even compared to freedmen who worked for others. In his prayers to Mars, he asked his questions, hoping for answers. All he heard was one word, loyalty.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 12
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Duccius didn't seem to be aware of how their Father treated Lucinius.It might be interesting  to see how Duccius feels about his father now.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 minute ago, weinerdog said:

Duccius didn't seem to be aware of how their Father treated Lucinius.It might be interesting  to see how Duccius feels about his father now.

I'm sure Appias never mentioned anything about Lucinius to Duccius. 

  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment

"I didn’t know father love you this much to give you a Villa" - Duccius seemed to have a little of the green eyed monster until her realized that Lucinius had been given a hovel and as far as his father had been concerned would have been living in a shed... His comment about the land from his father though shows that he was aware that there was little fatherly love for Lucinius. 

His observations of the slaves and the word loyalty being given to his prayers make it an interesting query as to what he will do next.

It will also be interesting to see what his father gives to him now that he has left the army... or has he? Will he need to return to the legion once the visit is over?

Edited by Kev
  • Like 5
Link to comment

Duccius seemed a little jealous at first until he heard from Lucinus that Father had given him bare ground and that everything there he had built. It will be interesting to see Duccius next move after he got one word in his prayers. Loyalty.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

"I didn’t know father love you this much to give you a Villa" - Duccius seemed to have a little of the green eyed monster until her realized that Lucinius had been given a hovel and as far as his father had been concerned would have been living in a shed... His comment about the land from his father though shows that he was aware that there was little fatherly love for Lucinius. 

His observations of the slaves and the word loyalty being given to his prayers make it an interesting query as to what he will do next.

It will also be interesting to see what his father gives to him now that he has left the army... or has he? Will he need to return to the legion once the visit is over?

I think Duccius was aware of his father's views on Lucinius. He spent 14 years with his father's unfavorable treatment of Lucinius. I think his comment concerning the Villa was more of a surprise to him knowing how is father felt about Lucinius. In Rokman tradition the eldest son inherits the property. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Duccius seemed a little jealous at first until he heard from Lucinus that Father had given him bare ground and that everything there he had built. It will be interesting to see Duccius next move after he got one word in his prayers. Loyalty.

Yes, but I don't think he will be able to convince his father to set the slaves free and expect them to stay. His father is a cruel master, he beat his slaves, so there is not way they would stay.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, mfa607 said:

Loyalty says it all. Great chapter! Thank you!

You are welcome. You are a rich man if you have a loyal friend

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Very interesting chapter, there is tension between the brothers, I think that's due to some ingrained beliefs inherent in Duccius, who will soon learn his brother has the better path!!

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

Very interesting chapter, there is tension between the brothers, I think that's due to some ingrained beliefs inherent in Duccius, who will soon learn his brother has the better path!!

Also some conditioning done by his father. I think that Duccius sees some of the problem but as the favored son, he will have a hard time going against his father 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Just imagine I am whispering because...I didn't realise dates grew on trees. That they weren't a fruit that had been dried.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, Buz said:

Just imagine I am whispering because...I didn't realise dates grew on trees. That they weren't a fruit that had been dried.

Shhhhh, I'll not say anything. It's our secret

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 2/16/2021 at 5:32 PM, Buz said:

Just imagine I am whispering because...I didn't realise dates grew on trees. That they weren't a fruit that had been dried.

Dates grow on a tree called a Date Palm Tree, Like plums on a Plum Tree, Pears on a Pear Tree, Peaches on a Peach Tree.

 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..