Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 762 Words
  • 1,855 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 21. Chapter 21

Duccius stayed for an additional seven days. He had to make one more hunting trip. He came back after two days, with several rabbits. Later the boys told me they took him to a new spot where they knew there would be no deer or boar.

“There are bears, but we did see any.”

I was sad and happy Duccius was leaving. We could get back to normal, but I’ll miss him. Life return to what I consider normal.

I needed to go to Rome. We loaded the cart with fruit. One of the boys asked if we could sell rabbit meat. I didn’t know the answer, but my guess would be no. They are easy to raise. We did have some vegetables to sell. Aeneas asked to go along. He wanted to visit the Temple, and he knew I’d do that. So he drove the cart, and I rode my horse. We left early in the morning, before light. We arrived at Gaius’s house late at night. His servant said he was sleeping, “We will go to my room, and in the morning, we’ll surprise him.”

We woke before grandfather, so when he came to the table for his breakfast, he found us sitting there. “When did you arrive?”

“Last night very late. You were sleeping, and I didn’t want to bother you.”

“Well, I’m glad to see you. What brought you to the city?”

“We have some vegetables to sell, and I need some supplies. Duccius said he would pay for a second press, so we’re looking for a second press.”

“I think I can help you with that. One of the men in the Senate is moving to one of the islands. He was selling some of his furniture. He may have an olive press he’ll sell.”

“Great, I have some vegetables to sell to a vendor who has been buying my vegetables. Send your cook to my cart, tell her to take what she needs.”

Later that morning, after the cook took what she needed, they left to sell his vegetables. They went to the Temple and made an offering to Apollo, leaving some vegetables for the old priest. Then they left for the vendor. As usual, the vendor bought the remaining vegetables at his price, which was alright. The goal wasn’t to sell the vegetables; that was a side action. The goal was to get a larger olive press.

When he got back to Gaius’s, Gaius told Lucinius that the Senator was willing to sell the press. The price he wanted was reasonable in Lucinius’s mind. Gaius said he would go with them if he would bring him back home. That wasn’t a problem for Lucinius, so the three of them headed to the home of the Senator. When they arrived, Lucinius remember him from the times he sat in on the Senate deliberations. The Senator remembered him as well. So what was to be a quick business deal turned into an afternoon at socializing, with wine and snacks of sweet honey rolls. It was too late to start home by the time they loaded the mill on the cart. So they spent another night at Gaius’s house. Early the next morning, before light, they left for home. Gaius insisted they have some cheese and freshly baked bread before leaving. They took a pitcher of water with them.

On the way home, they talked about when they thought the olives would be ready to press and where they should set up the press. They talked about how they could make their olive oil different so they could get a better price. They also talked about what happened when they had company. Talking, they didn’t pay attention to how far they traveled. They were surprised when they saw a torch in the distance.

“Is that home?”

“Yes, I think it is.”

“I didn’t think we traveled this far.”

“I guess we were talking and not paying attention. I’m glad the horse knew the way.” Laughing as they enter the gate surrounded by the boys.

The next morning two people slept past breakfast. When they finally woke, after a cold bath, they were ready for the day. Felix had another egg creation for them to try.

“What do you call this?”

“I call it egg papyrus.”

“You can write on it?”

“No, it’s like papyrus, it is thin, about the thickness of papyrus and you can roll it like like a scroll.”

“You are becoming an egg emperor. I wonder what your next creation will be like.”

This was the end of Scroll 2. I should go back and reread this Scroll to make sure I didn't miss anything. You all might want to reread chapter 1. I did miss a part of that Scroll and since have corrected it. My sorry
Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 minute ago, chris191070 said:

Great chapter to end Scroll 2. They are now fully equipped for when the olives are ripe.

Yes, now we shall see what quality they will get from their pressing of the olives

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, CLJobe said:

  Strange the way we humans think

That is such a loaded statement that could go so many ways just read the newspaper everyday.I definitely include myself in that statement.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

That is such a loaded statement that could go so many ways just read the newspaper everyday.I definitely include myself in that statement.

Yes, and the blogs. Even the comments on the stories.  

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
43 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Guilty as charged! 😂

Don't panic, I enjoy the comments. So keep reading and commenting

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Now the fun will be watching the further progress as the work done at the villa matures and becomes ever so productive!!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 minute ago, drsawzall said:

Now the fun will be watching the further progress as the work done at the villa matures and becomes ever so productive!!

The boys are really working hard. crops are good, trees are full of fruit, and the grapes will be ready to make wine.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Guilty as well lol, well well well, an olive press and from one of the senators at that. Granddad loves his grandson. I really can't wait to see what all is going to come to pass. Glad Duccius didn't kill a bear lol. Maybe when the grapes are ripe and they make wine he will send me some, Ah sipping my red now, and a toast to you and your stories. Great work. (maybe the following chapters will be long as scrolls) lol. Everything is good as is. You know I start looking for new chapter at6am cent. time, and when I get home at 7pm. That is how much I enjoy you works.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

"You all might want to reread chapter 1. I did miss a part of that Scroll and since have corrected it. My sorry"

Thank you for finding the misses part of the scroll. The story makes makes much more sense now that we know about Lucinius's birth and early childhood.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Miles White said:

Guilty as well lol, well well well, an olive press and from one of the senators at that. Granddad loves his grandson. I really can't wait to see what all is going to come to pass. Glad Duccius didn't kill a bear lol. Maybe when the grapes are ripe and they make wine he will send me some, Ah sipping my red now, and a toast to you and your stories. Great work. (maybe the following chapters will be long as scrolls) lol. Everything is good as is. You know I start looking for new chapter at6am cent. time, and when I get home at 7pm. That is how much I enjoy you works.

Thank you Miles. Yes, I also prefer a red wine. I'm glad you are enjoying my story. You do know it is fiction don't you or maybe it isn't fiction. Lucinius comes to me in my dreams and tells me these stories. 😀

  • Like 3
Link to comment
10 hours ago, frosenblum said:

"You all might want to reread chapter 1. I did miss a part of that Scroll and since have corrected it. My sorry"

Thank you for finding the misses part of the scroll. The story makes makes much more sense now that we know about Lucinius's birth and early childhood.

My bad. One of my readers asked a question and I knew that I had addressed that in my book. So I went back and reviewed the scroll, and sure enough I somehow missed that section.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

An Olive Press will be way cool. Olive Oil is so popular now. I can only imagine it being even more popular back then.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Buz said:

An Olive Press will be way cool. Olive Oil is so popular now. I can only imagine it being even more popular back then.

It was very popular, it was used as soap, it was used in lamps, it was used in cooking and was used in eating. The crushed pulp was served to the animals.

Today, to the best of my knowledge, it is used primarily in the kitchen, cook with it and used in salads. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..