Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 1,504 Words
  • 1,636 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 33. Chapter 33

The next morning for breakfast, there was cheese, fresh-baked bread, and water or wine. We laid on couches as they served us. Lucinius was eating and watching his father. “Grandfather, I think this oil is mine. You should save it.”

My father looked, “I thought that this oil was a little rancid. It tasted like the oil we had last night.” My Grandfather knew this was his oil and not mine.

Later that morning, “I don’t understand your father. The oil last night was excellent, and the oil this morning was mine.”

“Grandfather, for a lot of reasons, I was never the son he wanted. When I was younger and living with them, nothing I ever did would please him. That hasn’t changed. I have decided I’m not going to try and please him anymore.”

Grandfather just looked at me. I could tell by his expression he didn’t like how my father treated me. I think he tried to make up for it. “What are you going to do today?”

“I’m going to teach someone how to make salt.” He laughed. He knew what I meant.

I found Niciu, “I’m going to show my men Neptune’s secret, want to help.”

Laughing, “You get set up. I’ll bring the hot coals.”

“Give me some time, and I’ll send one of the men to let you know I’m ready.”

I looked for Duccius, he was busy talking to Father, so I went without him. Aumen and Nour just looked at the sea.

“Take off your sandals and stand in the water. When we get back home, you can say Neptune washed your feet after you thank Neptune.”

I watched as they let the water wash their feet. Aumen took a handful of water and smelled it; he smiled. “

We need to get ready to get the salt from Neptune. Gather all of the wood you see and we will put it here.”

I had brought the shallow pan I used the first time I did this. “Why do you need the pan?”

“I’ll show you. Let’s get those stones and build a place for a fire.”

There were still some of the stones from the last time I was here. I placed the stones so I could put the pan on top. With the wood, I just needed the hot coals to start the wood. I sent one of the boys to let Niciu know I was ready for the coals. While I waited for Niciu, “We’ll put the ocean water in the pan, then once we have the fire going, the water will boil away, leaving the salt behind.”

I noticed that they didn’t believe me. By this time, their feet and legs were dry. “Take your finger, wet it, then wipe your feet with the finger, taste it and tell me what you taste.”

I watched as they did what I told them. “It has a salty taste but something else.”

“Yes, and when we have the salt in this pan, we will add clear water, pass it through a piece of cloth. We’ll boil that water until we have salt again, but it won’t taste the same.”

They were anxious to start. I gave them my cup, which had wine in it, and they began to fill them with the water from the sea. The wood was ready; I just needy the hot coals.

“Are you ready?”

I looked, and there was Niciu with the hot coals.

Soon we had a good fire going, and we filled the pan with the water from the sea. Aumen and Nour watched the water boil.

“We need to get more wood and water. One of you get the water, and the other can come with me to get the wood, we need to do this all day if we want to get enough salt to take to the Villa.”

We worked way past midday and still had not filled the pan. Being here a short time, I wanted to make as much salt as I could. Deacon brought us some cheese and bread, and he stayed and watch. Aumen told him to take off his sandals and step into the water. While he was standing there letting the water wash his feet, Aumen gave him the cup and told him he could help with the water. He did it for a while, saying he had to go back. He went to put his sandals on and noticed the slight crust of solids on his feet. Taking his hand to brush it away before putting on his sandals, Aumen told him to taste his fingers. He did and said one word, “Salt”.

We worked until Deacon came back to tell us that it was time for the evening meal. We had enough for the day. We put out the fire, I’d need the wood for tomorrow. I took the pan with the salt back to the Villa. I’ll start filtering tomorrow, and maybe if I could get another pan, I could have two fires going. While we were eating, Grandfather asked how was the salt making?

“I think a few more days and I’ll have enough to take with me. I want the men to taste it. If you would like to have some, I’ll leave some for you.”

“No, you take it. I know Niciu knows how to do it. If we want some, he can make it.” I smiled.

“Tomorrow, while my men continue to making salt, I’d like to check your grove. I need some walnut shells. I use the juice for ink, and it is better than the black ink.”

“Doesn’t it stain your hands?”

“Yes, but it wears off. I think one of my men wants to use it on the wood.”

“Have your trees producing any? You had the tees how long three years?”

“Yes, I think it will be a few more years. We can see the tree is about ready to flower. I’m hoping to have some nuts next year, probably after the wheat and oats are ready for harvesting.”

“Maybe that might be a good time to visit.”

“Yes, Grandfather, I’ll take the boys and go hunting. Father, you may want to go hunting with us.”

I watched my father. He didn’t respond; my mother smiled. I knew she would come but not without my father.

That evening, I told Aumen and Nour that I would start them on the salt, but I can’t spend a full day there. They understood, “Will do the dissolving of the salt we have and filtering it, I’ll show you how to do that. You know what we did today, so you will have to have two fires. I’ll help you get them started, and then I’ll bring food at midday.”

I wanted to be with them all day until we had enough to take home. My grandfathers have been kind to me, so I didn’t want to not show my respect by leaving them alone.

The next morning, before breakfast, we went to the beach. I was surprised when I saw all of the wood.

“Where did this come from?”

“Last night, we came here with Deacon and gathered all of the wood we could find. They Niciu came and brought some wood from the grove. He said it was a gift from the gods. I think Deacon is going to stay and help.”

“Come and have something to eat, I’ll bring something for you at midday.” Arriving back at the Villa, Grandfather saw me, “Up so early?”

“Yes Grandfather, I wanted to get the men started on making salt.”

“Good, after breakfast, we can check the grove and vineyard.” I knew we would talk about Father then.

At breakfast, Aumen whispered to me, “No eggs” I laughed. I knew Grandfather had sheep and goats. That is where my sheep and goats came from. I’m not sure about chickens. I’ll find out today when we tour the Villa.

For the next four days, we made salt, I toured the Villa with both grandfathers, and we discussed Father. I told them that until Father asked the gods for forgiveness and accepted me as his son, he’ll never be cured of his illness.

“I noticed he is not as well with you here as he was when you weren’t here. The other day when he thought he was drinking your wine, his comments disturbed me.”

“I made that comment about the wine on purpose. Nothing I do pleases him. I have given up and will no longer look upon him as my father. If he changes his attitude towards me, my arms will be open to him.”

“What if he wants to come with us when we visit?”

“He can come, I’ll treat him with the respect of anyone who visits my Villa. My mother taught me to be tolerant of him when I was growing up. That hasn’t changed.”

“You’re your mother’s son.”

“Yes, hers and Apollo’s.” My grandfather just smiled.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

He'll never change... mine never did, even on his death bed he never changed. Took one look at me and told me to leave if I had that 'queer' blood still in me. By that time I was very much like Lucinius and he was no father to me. We went because my brothers wanted support, though one of them thought it more important to get dad's will and find out what they had than be at the hospital.

Lucinius was lucky, at least he had his mother, brother, grandfathers and his boys. When my mother died it was just me. Dad had my brothers wrapped around his finger and I was treated more like a servant in my own home than any of the boys in the villa. In knew the term Cinderfella long before it was on screen or written about... I lived it... 19 years now and I have not had contact with any family and have never been happier.

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kev said:

He'll never change... mine never did, even on his death bed he never changed. Took one look at me and told me to leave if I had that 'queer' blood still in me. By that time I was very much like Lucinius and he was no father to me. We went because my brothers wanted support, though one of them thought it more important to get dad's will and find out what they had than be at the hospital.

Lucinius was lucky, at least he had his mother, brother, grandfathers and his boys. When my mother died it was just me. Dad had my brothers wrapped around his finger and I was treated more like a servant in my own home than any of the boys in the villa. In knew the term Cinderfella long before it was on screen or written about... I lived it... 19 years now and I have not had contact with any family and have never been happier.

 

There are times when you must act like Lucinius, "he is not longer my father" I am a father, and no matter what my children do, I'll still love them, that doesn't mean I will like everything they do, but love for me is unconditional.

PS: I'm glad you are happy now. Although it is hard, put the past behind you and enjoy what you have today 🤗

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Can the Grandfather's try to intervene?No that they will be able to get through Appias thick skull.But it sound there were unaware of a lot of it.Is there some kind of tradition that you don't interfere with your son trying to raise their son?Otherwise I can't figure out why they haven't tried. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
22 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

Can the Grandfather's try to intervene?No that they will be able to get through Appias thick skull.But it sound there were unaware of a lot of it.Is there some kind of tradition that you don't interfere with your son trying to raise their son?Otherwise I can't figure out why they haven't tried. 

I don't think there is any tradition. I imagine Appias's father has tried. But Appias is very hard headed and it appears nothing can get through. I often wondered if he didn't hold his wife at fault. Lucinius would be dead if she hadn't gone to the Temple and dedicated him to Apollo.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter, I think that he is correct change things that you can change, accept things that you cannot changed and move forward with your life and family and friends

  • Like 5
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter, I think that he is correct change things that you can change, accept things that you cannot changed and move forward with your life and family and friends

Exactly Lucinius's philosophy. Can't blame him for giving up. It's sad when you think what a closed mind has lost. Here a son would give him anything just for returning  the love.  I thought there were stupid people today, seems they existed in those days as well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Best now to leave the past...in the past and now look forward, and never look back!!!

I agree, He can't change what has happen, count your blessings and move forward

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Being the Son of Apollo hasn't caused him any harm it seems. In fact, it seems to be totally the opposite.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Buz said:

Being the Son of Apollo hasn't caused him any harm it seems. In fact, it seems to be totally the opposite.

Apollo has looked upon Lucinius with favor, as the saying goes. Lucinius is a student of Apollo. Growing up spending time in the Temple he was taught by the priest.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..