Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 782 Words
  • 1,212 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 15. Chapter 15

Early the next morning, the boys had the cart loaded with the bags of oats. Aumen was on his horse, and Paxton was sitting in the cart when Dante arrived with his bundle of clothes. Lucinius mounted his horse and led the cart to the city. They repeated the same path as last time, a stop at the Temple with a bag of oats for the priest, a visit at Gaius’s where he insisted they had something to eat and drink. On the way to his father’s, he let Dante off and wished him good luck. Assuming the baker would pay him what he asked for his oats, he gave Dante other denarii.

Paxton whispered something to Dante. Dante shook his head no and left, walking into the city. Arriving at his father’s house, he was met by Duccius, who told him his father wasn’t home. Again his mother greeted him with a hug, acknowledging the others as well. She asked if they were hungry, they said they had eaten at the home of Gaius. But they would have a cup of wine, as Paxton took a bag of oats and gave it to Calliope.

“I’m going to take the rest of the oats to the baker. I think he’ll pay what I want for my oats.”

“Maybe you should go to that merchant you went to with the wheat. I’ll send the baker over.”

They laughed, but Lucinius didn’t like to haggle over price. He knew he set a fair price. “Are you coming with us?”

“Yes, I’m going to go home with you, and then in a few days, I’m going south to see grandfather.” Lucinius was surprised, but happy Duccius was going to go home with him.

“I’ll stop here before heading home, be ready.”

“Sir, I’m worried about Dante.”

“Don’t worry about him. I’ve asked Apollo to look out for him. Who knows, he might be back. Being free has its problem as well. He needs to find housing and to earn money to live.”

Pulling up at the baker’s stall, “Hello, I have some freshly harvested oats, if you’re interested.”

“How much do you want for it?”

Lucius had checked the price at a stall selling oats on his way to the baker. He quoted a price a little less than what that merchant was offering. The baker thought about it, tasted the oats, and agreed to the price. While the boys unloaded the cart, he paid Lucinius.

“I sold out of bread with the wheat you sold me. My customers came back and asked for an extra loaf.”

“I’m glad, at the next harvest, I’ll bring more wheat to you. I hope you have as much good luck with these oats.”

With the money from the oats, Aumen mentioned that he should buy himself a new tunic. Lucinius realized that Aumen and he could use a new tunic as well as sandals. They purchased some sweet wheat cakes, which Paxton enjoyed.

Business finished, they headed to Lucinius home to pick up Duccius. They never got close to his father’s house when they met Duccius. He tossed his bag on the cart. Smiling, he followed Lucinius to the Villa. When they arrived, they were met by the boys. Lucinius had bought wheat cakes for them. They were thankful, one of the boys asked about Dante. “After Dante left the cart, we didn’t see him. I hope he’s okay. We prayed at the Temple for him.” Again at dinner that night, he gave each man a denarii. “This is your share of the oat harvest.”

Duccius was surprised, “You pay your men?”

“Yes, why not? They worked to grow the wheat and oats. They need to be rewarded for their work.”

“But they are slaves.”

“Who said they are slaves? I never said they are slaves. Have you ever seen a slave work as hard as these boys do without an overseer beating them if they didn’t work hard enough to suit him?”

Duccius had to think, and he remembers his father beating a slave when he dropped a box of grapes, and the animals crushed them. He admitted to himself that maybe Lucinius was right. When supper was almost over, one of the boys brought a fruit platter, there were the cherries, plums, figs, dates, apples, and a few olives.

"The trees will take about two or three more weeks before the fruit will be ripe enough. I picked what looked to be the ripest.” Duccius was getting a lesson in human nature, and he just didn’t know it.

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 hours ago, weinerdog said:

If he didn't already know it Duccius can see how much wiser Lucinius is then Appias 

When you see how everybody was concerned about Dante you can see the people working for Lucinius are more like family then co-workers 

When people share the same background, having gone thorough hell, and then get into a situation like they have with Lucinius, they are family. Shared experiences always bind people 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Away for a few days and had to catch up! Just showed treating people with kindness and respect produces more bountiful rewards than ever could be had otherwise. I think Daccius is a good person at heart - like his mother - but was molded by his father. Through Lucinius' eyes, his heart is now trying to align with his head. I have a feeling their father my be left a bitter, lonely, old man at some point. Karma's a bitch! 😂

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Awesome chapter, I think that he will be caught and sold as a slave again, time will tell, his brother is in for an education.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Chris L said:

Away for a few days and had to catch up! Just showed treating people with kindness and respect produces more bountiful rewards than ever could be had otherwise. I think Daccius is a good person at heart - like his mother - but was molded by his father. Through Lucinius' eyes, his heart is now trying to align with his head. I have a feeling their father my be left a bitter, lonely, old man at some point. Karma's a bitch! 😂

Treating people with kindness and rewards will produce a loyalty for some people. For other you will be used. Lucinius situation is different, he is treating b boys who thought they were going to be slaves and everyone knew how slaves were treated. So expecting a whip they got a handshake. Duccius has respect for his  brother but he is a product of his dad. If Lucinius hadn't spent the time with his him when they were young, I'm not sure what their relationship would have been.

 

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, mikedup said:

Awesome chapter, I think that he will be caught and sold as a slave again, time will tell, his brother is in for an education.

I'm not sure about that. What I'm afraid will happen he will meet someone who, knows him and that outcome will not be pleasant.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

Growing success with fair treatment!! The fruit should prove to be a huge hit!! 

It is and their fruit of a partnership with the boys is also showing fruit.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

The fruit platter at the end sounds good. Never really got into figs. We used to have a fig tree when I was younger. Never really got 'raided' like we raided the other fruit tress and the grape vines. They were okay, just not OMG yummy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Buz said:

The fruit platter at the end sounds good. Never really got into figs. We used to have a fig tree when I was younger. Never really got 'raided' like we raided the other fruit tress and the grape vines. They were okay, just not OMG yummy.

Figs are good for you in fact all fruit is good for you. That is the kind you eat

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 2/16/2021 at 6:09 PM, Buz said:

The fruit platter at the end sounds good. Never really got into figs. We used to have a fig tree when I was younger. Never really got 'raided' like we raided the other fruit tress and the grape vines. They were okay, just not OMG yummy.

I don't like figs either. I have always planted a fig tree at the houses I have bought, because I think they are beautiful growing in the yard. I have always let anyone that wanted them to have all they wanted. The latest house I have bought has a smaller back yard and don't know if I will plant a fig or not. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..