Jump to content
    CLJobe
  • Author
  • 973 Words
  • 1,635 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rome - 34. Chapter 34

We stayed for four full days. The men had a good quantity of salt to take back. I offered some to Grandfather, and he said he could always get some as he knew Niciu could get the salt from the sea. On the fifth day, after breakfast, we left to go back to the Villa. I think Duccius was anxious to go hunting, and there was no stopping. Leaving early in the morning, we arrived late at night. I knew everyone was tired except Junius. He slept in his mother’s lap. The men came from their rooms to help unload the cart and to assist Grandfather to bed. Duccius took Aleta and headed upstairs, Nour took Junius, Aumen and I headed for our rooms. The men took care of the cart and mules.

The next morning, Felix was ready for us. Another one of his egg creations, we had fruit rolled in one of his egg cakes. He also had chopped up some meat, added herbs, made it into cakes, and cooked them. We had the regular cheese, bread with olive oil and herbs. I was beginning to think Felix would serve us just herbs one of these days. He included them in most of his cooking. The food was good, and it was better just relaxing with the men and friends. I don’t think any of us moved until after midday.

The boys wanted to show me some plants they found in the woods. It was a strange plant, “What is this plant?”

“We don’t know, and neither do the men. It smells nice.”

“Yes, it does but don’t eat any of the leaves or flowers. They may be poisonous.”

“So we can keep it?”

I just nodded. Felix went to look at the plant, he laughed. “My mother had this plant. The leaves are very good. I can add it to my herbal mixture.”

The boys smiled, Felix smiles, I smile because it wasn’t poisonous.

As one would expect, Duccius took some of the men and went hunting. I had a private talk with Grandfather Gaius. He was a little upset over my father. He couldn’t understand why he was so unfriendly to me. He remembered the wine incident, “Your wine is very good, and the trick you played on him, I guess, was your way of letting us understand his feelings toward you.”

“Yes, it bothered me for a long time. I prayed to Apollo for him to change. I think Mars is punishing him. I want to be his son, but now I’ll be your son.”

Smiling, “I’ve always looked upon you as my son.”

I went and got us a glass of wine.

Duccius came home after three days. This time he had a bear. Nathan asked for the pelt, Duccius gave him everything except the head. As before, he took the meat home, leaving in the morning.

Life returned to normal. That is normal for us. I had my ink from the walnut trees, and I spent two days recording all of the past weeks. When I was up to date, I had three more shelves in my room filled with my scrolls. I was going to need a new cabinet soon. I moved everything we had stored in the stables to the storage rooms in front of the house. If we ever needed more rooms, I could move them back to the stables.

Aumen gave the salt to Felix to use in his kitchen. Grandfather was going to send Deacon and the rest of his staff back to the city. They were going to stay in his house, and Deacon was in charge. I knew then that he had freed them. I think Felix learned a few new recipes, and I noticed Grandfather’s cook spending a lot of time in the kitchen. She took a few chickens back with her. I told Deacon to make sure he fenced them in. Grandfather was content to stay, and I was glad. He seemed to be feeling better. He told the boys stories, they took him on walks into the woods behind us, the men asked for his advice. All of this showed our love for him. I momentarily had a thought. This could have been my father, only a moment.

The wheat and oats were doing well, and I think changing the field each year has helped. The boys started to eat the vegetables raw. They said they were good like that. I tried a few, they were good, especially with a little olive oil. The architect had made our Baths larger, actually almost as large as the Baths in the city. The hot bath was twice the old Baths’ size, and the cold water bath was three times larger. One of the men said they needed the cold water to cool down after working in the sun all day. The animal sheds were getting out of control. The chicken shed is three times what I first had. We had enough eggs, we put them in the cold pit and took them to the city to sell. Our baker said they were the best. The sheep and goat sheds were four times as large. Now we were taking cheese to sell, special cheese with herbs. I gave one to the baker, and now he sells our cheese. Aumen said he is getting a reputation. That was good for us, as he paid a fair price.

As the walnut trees began to bear fruit, Felix made a cake with them. The men thought they weren’t sweet enough. I thought they were fine. Felix said he only used a little honey, and yes, they had his herbs in them. I had a large supply of ink, and I was teaching the boys how to write.

   

Copyright © 2021 CLJobe; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Some random thoughts

It was awesome what Gaius said to Lucinius about looking upon him as a son.

Briefly when you first mention the plants I thought oh no not cannabis.Have you ever thought of doing something like that😆

If Felix was born in our time he would have his own cooking show.

Well now, if he did use cannabis, pardon the poor pun, it would be the highlight of the scrolls😉

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Loved this chapter as it ties a lot of loose ends together and makes us gain a deeper understanding of the people and their activities. Lucinius is still my boy and is really growing into a good man.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great chapter I agree a lots of bits have come together to make a complete, his grandfather is now fully on board

  • Like 4
Link to comment
9 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Some random thoughts

It was awesome what Gaius said to Lucinius about looking upon him as a son.

Briefly when you first mention the plants I thought oh no not cannabis.Have you ever thought of doing something like that😆

If Felix was born in our time he would have his own cooking show.

He could call it cooking with herbs. He certainly knows how to use them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
7 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Well now, if he did use cannabis, pardon the poor pun, it would be the highlight of the scrolls😉

I would have never been able to translate them. I can just imagine what they would look like. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Kev said:

Loved this chapter as it ties a lot of loose ends together and makes us gain a deeper understanding of the people and their activities. Lucinius is still my boy and is really growing into a good man.

Thanks Kev, I am sure there is a parallel here to the life of someone you know

  • Like 5
Link to comment
5 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Awesome chapter, it's tie together alot of lose ends

Thanks, Chris

  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, mikedup said:

Great chapter I agree a lots of bits have come together to make a complete, his grandfather is now fully on board

Yes, he is. He has always been and the bond between both grandfathers and Lucinius is very strong.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Another great chapter. Year after year Lucinius, and his grandfathers and brother, keep on reaping the benefits of his having freed his slaves.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
58 minutes ago, frosenblum said:

Another great chapter. Year after year Lucinius, and his grandfathers and brother, keep on reaping the benefits of his having freed his slaves.

He must treat them well, probably better than they would be as freedmen. Only two have  tested the water, Dante who returned and the one who ran away and never return, fate unknown. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Buz said:

I love how they are all taking care of Grandfather Gaius.

Lucinius and Grandfather Gaius are very close. Growing up Gaius was a father substitute for Lucinius.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..