Jump to content
    Dahawk
  • Author
  • 6,053 Words
  • 4,807 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Family Struggles - 13. Meeting the Parents

Meeting the Parents:

Saturday Kyle and Blu loaded the boys into the car, making the slow painful drive to Nan’s house for the kids to apologize to her. The boys were scared of what Nan might do, but even more afraid that she would not accept their apology. After the incident happened the twins required a lot of reassurance from their Dads that they were still loved and wanted.

Their car pulled into Nan’s driveway all too fast for the kids liking. After the car came to a stop, Kyle and Blu walked up to the house while the kids silently walked behind them like they were walking death row. The twins eyes were fixed on the ground in front of them, their shoulders slouched, hands stuffed in their pockets, shoes dragging along the ground.

The family approached the front door, Blu raised his hand to knock – better to be safe than sorry. Nan could be up to anything. Abruptly the door flew open and in the threshold stood Stephen. He gazed down at the boys with a stern look that only a judge could bestow upon another.

“This could very well be payback, that look would have me crapping my pants.” Blu thought as he looked at his two boys. “Yep, they might be soiling their underwear right now.” Blu sighed as he watched the boys tense up.

Levi looked at the Judge’s shoes as he spoke softly unable to look the man in the face, “C… c… can we speak to Nan?”

Lincoln moved closer to Blu reaching to hold his hand. Kyle remained quiet slipping his arm around Levi, awaiting whatever fallout that was to come. Levi knew his Dads would be there for them – no matter what, they had promised.

“I suppose you better come in Gentlemen,” Stephen said stepping back letting the family through.

They entered the house heading to the kitchen where Nan usually spent her time.

“Go on through,” Stephen said from behind, closing the front door.

They all watched as Nan pulled a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies from the oven. The older woman’s face was stoic and rigid. Blu was concerned for the boys that Nan would stay mad at them.

“Hello boys,” Nan said with no emotion.

“Ummm… uh… hi,” were the combination of responses from the twins, both remaining attached to their Dads.

Lincoln eyed the cookies but knew after what Nan suffered from their trickery he was not about to eat anything Nan might try to give them, even if it was homemade chocolate chip cookies. He refused to sit on a toilet for the entire weekend, even though it would probably be the only thing they could do since they were still grounded.

“When the cookies cool down you can have one.”

Lincoln and Levi both shook their heads, “No thank you,” they both mumbled simultaneously.

“Suit yourself. Would any of you like a drink?” Nan asked.

The boys held their ground both shaking their head “No.”

Kyle sighed as the tension the boys were displaying began to make him anxious, “I’ll have an iced tea Nan, please.”

“Yeah, I’ll have a hot tea, thanks, Nan. Do you and the judge want one I’ll make a pot,” Blu said as he moved to the kettle.

Nan nodded her head, as she started the dishwasher.

“Yes, please Blu,” Stephen replied.

Levi steeled his nerves, “Umm…” he tightened his hold on Kyle’s shirt. “Nan, we’re sorry about what we um… made you do.”

The twins both stood filled with fear and tension of what Nan might say.

Nan’s entire demeanor relaxed a touch.

“Apology accepted.”

That was all Nan said, she didn’t yell, or threaten revenge. It was done.

Nan picked up a cookie, placing it on a napkin, then received her tea from Blu before sitting down at the table. She watched the boys faces as the cookie disappeared, Lincoln was practically drooling. Blu took one of the cookies and sat down with Nan, bringing his and Stephens tea with him.

“So, we got the ball rolling with the adoption. We are now just waiting for the red tape to untangle itself and get a court date.” Blu chewed into his cookie.

Kyle grabbed the iced tea that Nan poured for him, which she forgot sitting on the counter – it must be a bitch to get forgetful in your old age.

“Hopefully by the end of summer things will be wrapped up,” Kyle said taking a sip of his drink.

*****

Later that afternoon, the family fought over the bathrooms. It seems that Nan had more than chocolate chips in those cookies that she sent home with them after their visit. Kyle had procured the master bath, while the boys used the upstairs bathroom and the half bath downstairs. Lucky for Arabella she was spending the day at Tony’s.

At six-thirty Kaleb waltzed into the house holding a pan of lasagne, he stepped into the living room.

“Hey Shithead,” Blu said without even moving his head that was laying on Kyle’s lap.

“Unc Boo quata,” Kasey stuck his head around the corner followed with a little hand.

Kasey wandered in behind Kaleb, with his Dads following swiftly behind him.

“Evi, I ere,” Kasey called out ignoring his uncles after he received money from Blu, he headed to find his best buddy.

Blu sat up quickly, sniffing the air and eyeing Kaleb, “Is that your lasagne?”

“Yeah,” Kaleb smiled, “I made it earlier, Davis had to work so I figured it would be a good day to visit you guys.”

“I’ll start on the salad, Blondie you get a move on the garlic bread,” Blu said.

He then jumped from the couch like a rocket stealing the pan from Kaleb to keep warm in the oven.

Kasey came back downstairs without Levi or Lincoln but carrying Scarlett over his shoulder.

“Ink an Evi in potty,” Kasey said with a bewildered look on his face, “they ick?”

“Er…uh…” Blu looked at Kyle stalling for an answer.

Kyle’s stomach churned remembering the cookies reaction in his own stomach.

“They have upset stomach’s Kasey,” Kyle said as he closed the refrigerator door.

He placed the garlic bread ingredients on the counter, “How’s Spotty doing bud?”

“See eat Daddy soo.” Kasey smiled.

Jared sat down at the table.

“What he left out was, it used to be my good work shoes.” Jared sighed remembering how badly patent leather can be shredded by a Dalmatian on a mission of destruction.

“Kaleb lost a lot of shoes when Khan first came to live with us, didn’t ya?” Blu directed the question to Kaleb as he grinned.

“Khan was a weapon of mass destruction,” Kaleb grunted.

Lincoln came around the corner holding his stomach, “Pop can’t you make it stop?”

“Aww, Buddy, come here,” Blu said putting his arms out to hold Lincoln.

Blu steered him to a seat at the table, sitting down and pulling Link into his lap.

“Sit here with me Sunshine,” Blu said cuddling his young son.

“I feel like crap!” Lincoln exclaimed as his stomach made an audible sound.

Lincoln hopped off Blu’s lap scampering to the downstairs bathroom.

“What’s that all about?” Jared asked as he watched Lincoln slam the door.

“A little payback from the crazy old lady down the street.” Blu rolled his eyes.

Kaleb chuckled, “Nan doesn’t like being made to look like a fool.”

“You don’t have to tell us, we all paid from her revenge, it’s just the boys ate more cookies than the rest of us,” Kyle said as he placed the garlic bread in the oven.

Jared looked around the kitchen, “Where’s Bella?”

“Here,” the young girl said.

Bella came further into the kitchen.

“Pop, Tony’s dad wants to talk to you, he’s at the door.”

“You left him outside?” Blu stood up, “It’s freezing Bella!”

Blu went to the front door, wide open of course letting all the heat from the fireplace out.

“Come in Mr. Anderson,” Blu said looking out to the driveway, “go inside and warm up by the fireplace. Bella will show you the way. I’ll get the rest of your family.”

Mr. Anderson put his hands up, “No, no, I just wanted to meet you and ask a favor if I could?”

“Have you eaten yet?”

“Uh, no, not yet,” Mr. Anderson answered tilting his head watching Blu.

“Fantastic, you’re in for a treat then. Bella show Mr. Anderson where to go.”

Blu went outside shutting the door behind him to keep the heat in.

Bella walked Mr. Anderson to the fireplace.

“Sorry sir, I wasn’t thinking. I thought you would have followed me inside,” Bella said sheepishly.

The man chuckled.

“That’s okay Bella, no harm done.”

Blu entered the room followed by Tony and his mom, Mr. Anderson put his hands out toward the fire to warm them up.

“Once you’ve warmed up I’ll introduce you to the rest of the family. My brother-in-law owns Waters Catering. He made a lasagne for dinner and there’s plenty to go around.”

“Are you sure Mr. Waters?” Mrs. Anderson asked.

“Of course, plus with these two together all the time it’s probably a good idea we all get to know each other,” Blu said.

Kyle poked his head into the living room, “Oh, hi everybody, Babe, dinner is ready.”

“Three more places, Blondie, we’ll all have to sit at the dining room table.”

“Got it,” Kyle smiled wiping his hands on the dishtowel he was holding.

“This is Tony’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson,” Blu told Kyle.

He then turned to the Anderson’s, “Let me introduce my husband and Bella’s dad, Kyle Waters. Kyle teaches music, band, and gives private lessons for kids who want to learn after school.”

Kyle shook their hands. “Nice to finally meet you both.”

“You too, please call me Antonio,” Mr. Anderson said shaking Kyle’s hand. “This is my wife, Vanessa.”

“Call me Kyle,” He looked at his watch, “I need to go finish getting dinner on the table, if you’ll excuse me. Blu could you check on Levi? He hasn’t come back downstairs. Bella sweetie, could you set the table, please. Tony, you can introduce the rest of the family to your Mom and Dad.”

“Sorry, please call me Blu,” Blu said to the Andersons, then turned to their son, “Tony everyone is in the kitchen but will be heading to the dining room, I’ll be right down.”

Blu headed for the stairs.

Bella followed Kyle to set the table, while Tony showed his parents to the dining room as the rest of the family came through.

“Hi,” Tony said nervously, “These are Bella’s uncles–”

“Kaleb Waters,” Kaleb said shaking Antonio’s hand then Vanessa.

“Jared Jessup-Waters,” he followed suit, but continued when he saw their confused look, “Kyle’s twin.”

“Oh,” The Anderson’s said at the same time.

“Mason Montgomery,” he said introducing himself.

Kasey tugged on Mason’s pant leg to crawl up.

He stared at Tony’s parents, “I’m Kasey, whos you?”

“Kasey!” Mason reprimanded him, “don’t be rude. You say, “Hi, I’m Kasey.”

“I’m Kasey dough,” he said giving Mason a confused look.

“Now you offer your hand, just like you were taught, remember?”

Mason jiggled the little boy. Kasey had a look like he was thinking, before he held out his hand like he does to Blu.

“Quata?” Kasey smiled innocently.

Everyone in the room laughed, while the Anderson’s looked on in shock. Although, Tony was just about wetting himself.

Mason grabbed Kasey’s hand in horror, whispering to Kasey, “They didn’t say a bad word, you shake their hand remember, like you did when you first met Grandpa Stephen.”

Kasey thought a moment and nodded at Mason, stretching his little arm out to the new people in his life.

“Sowwy,” Kasey apologized.

Laughing Antonio shook Kasey’s little hand, “Nice to meet you, young man.”

He giggled. “I nos man, I a boy.”

“Hmm, you look almost grown up to me, but nice to meet you, Kasey.”

Blu checked on the room then went to the kitchen.

“Bella’s finished setting the table, Levi will be down in a minute to try and eat something.” Blu spun his head to his right. “Are you going to have a little something Link, I think you should try just a little?”

Lincoln nodded his head, “I’m never eating sweets again.”

“Oh, I believe you. Wait there a second and you can help me and Dad start bringing the food to the table.”

Blu went to the refrigerator taking out a pitcher of Sweet Tea, Lemonade, and Water.

“Here bud, take what you can and come back for the other,” Blu said putting the jugs in front of Lincoln.

Lincoln grabbed two pitchers before he walked carefully to the dining room with them, a moment later he returned for the last one.

Levi wandered into the kitchen noticing the new pair of people.

“Pop, you didn’t say we had company I’m in bummy clothes,” Levi grumbled.

He was wearing a pair of gym shorts that were tattered and a t-shirt that looked like it should be used as a rag.

Blu rolled his eyes.

“Dad and I are only in sweats and t-shirts, the guests are in work clothes. Nobody cares Levi, but if you’re not comfortable go and change. Just remember if you are only wearing them for a few hours and they aren’t dirty you can wear them again.”

“Ugh, grown-ups,” Levi shook his head, before heading to his seat.

Blu snickered, “He can do what he wants when he starts doing his own laundry.”

Kyle grabbed the pan of lasagne out of the oven. “Babe, he doesn’t feel good. Nan got him good.”

As Kyle made his way toward the dining room he snickered, pausing long enough to give Blu a quick peck on the lips. Blu picked up the salad and garlic bread basket following Kyle.

“Okay grubs up, everyone take a seat. Antonio and Vanessa sit wherever you’re comfortable – we do. Uh… do you folks say grace or anything before a meal?” Blu asked.

Antonio looked at his wife, “Look we wouldn’t want to offend you, folks, if it’s all the same, we would rather not.”

“Sweet,” Blu said. “We aren’t religious at all, I just wanted to check so we didn’t offend you.”

Khan strolled in taking a seat between his boys peering over the table.

Vanessa gasped in shock, Antonio’s eyes grew big as he swallowed, “Uh, there’s a horse at the table.”

Lincoln got an offended look on his face, “He’s not a horse!”

The boy rubbed Khan’s head before looking at the newcomers. “This is Khan, you’re a good boy, aren’t you?”

“Link,” Blu said as a warning, “send Khan to his bed please.”

It’s not like the dog would listen to Blu and Kyle these days anyway. What Lincoln says happens, Khan seems to have imprinted on Link like a baby duck.

Levi rolled his eyes – “since when does Khan go to his bed while everybody eats,” he thought to himself.

“Pop he always eats with us,” Lincoln whined.

Davis popped his head in the dining room looking around before fully entering.

“Wow, that looks good,” he stated.

“Davis!” Kaleb said excitedly, “I thought you were working.”

“I am, but I’m on break and I knew you made the lasagne, thought I’d take my chances there was enough for me.” Davis smiled.

“There’s more than enough baby, grab a plate and come sit by me.”

Kaleb patted the empty chair beside him, his engagement ring made a loud tapping sound on the chair.

“Thanks, Leb.”

Davis went to the kitchen coming back sitting next to Kaleb, piling his plate with food.

Jared looked at Davis then his baby brother, “You actually bought him a ring, instead of a leash? Are you out of your mind Davis?” He said snickering part way through.

“My baby never runs away from home, I’m more worried he’ll get arrested than anything else,” Davis said cutting his way into his lasagne.

“Ow! Don’t hit, you’re not setting a good example for the–” Davis looked around the table to see strangers, “crap.” He covered his mouth. “Sorry, uh… Hi, I’m Davis.”

“Hi, Vanessa,” the man pointed to his wife, “Antonio, we’re Tony’s parents.”

“Oh, welcome!”

Levi looked at his uncle, “Did you kill anybody today?”

“Kid, we’re eating. I don’t kill ‘em, they come to me that way. Now zip it and eat.”

Davis glared at Levi.

“I heard Pop and Dad say they are cold and stiff.” Levi took a bite of food chewing it slowly while watching Davis.

Blu and Kyle hung their heads.

“I’m so sorry, we really aren’t this uncouth at the dinner table, I swear. Well, actually that’s a lie, we totally are but not usually in front of guests.” Blu sighed. “The next kid to open their trap gets to do the washing up and I don’t mean load the dishwasher – by hand, down to the very last plate and pot.”

Kyle looked at Blu with a smirk. “There’s no denying our boys are definitely Waters.”

“Not one doubt in my f…freakin’ mind,” Blu said side eyeing Kasey in case he picked up on Blu’s almost SNAFU.

Kasey took a bite of his lasagne, well, to be honest, he wore more of it than made it in his mouth. Then he crawled out of his chair making his way under the table to Blu tapping his sauce covered hand on Blu’s knee.

“Quata!”

“Dammit!” Blu said, “Every damn time.”

He leaned over the table grabbing a napkin before pushing his chair back and pulling the toddler onto his lap.

“Thank you, for painting my knee. Does that mean I get a discount?” Blu asked as he cleaned Kasey’s hands before doing the same for his knee.

Kasey shook his head, holding out both hands now.

“Quata! Bad wod.”

Blu pulled a dollar out of his pocket giving it to Kasey, “I’m still in credit for one bad word.”

Kasey nodded at Blu.

The front door slammed shut, “LEVI BLU WATERS, GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE NOW!!”

“Shit,” Blu said accidentally, then rolled his eyes at himself. “Here munchkin, you might as well take this fiver now that Nan is here.”

Blu pushed his chair back, standing then moved to toward the foyer. He grabbed Levi by the shirt pulling him along.

“Nan, what are you screeching about, and Levi’s middle name isn’t Blu.”

“Well it definitely should be, the little scamp takes after you,” Nan spat out.

Levi looked at Nan, “I didn’t do nothin’ I’ve been on the toilet all day, Pop.”

“Did you take a break long enough to maybe order ten pizzas to be delivered to my house all your names written out with Olives on the pizzas.”

Nan stood there glaring at the kid, while he shifted from foot to foot.

Lincoln overheard the shouting from the dining room and began giggling uncontrollably.

“I swear Nan, I’ve been in the bathroom since we ate your cookies.”

Levi drew a cross over his heart with his finger.

Blu studied Levi for a moment, he could tell that he was telling the truth. Levi stared at his Pop, and the realization hit them both at the same time.

“Lincoln!” They said at the same time.

“I didn’t do it, I swear. I need to go to the bathroom,” Lincoln yelled as he flew by.

Kyle sat quietly at the table as straight-faced as he could muster.

Kaleb looked at his brother, “You did it, didn’t you?”

“You monster, are you going to let your kid take the fall?” Davis asked with half a mouthful.

Kyle gave him an “I’m innocent” look.

“Maybe? She deserved it after sending those cookies.”

“POP!” Arabella called out.

“I’m moving, there’s never a moments peace in this house,” Blu grumbled as he dawdled back into the dining room, Nan and Levi hot on his ass.

“What Sweetheart and why ar…” Blu looked at his husband. “Shit!” he thought.

Blu turned around to speak and found Nan two inches from his face.

“It was Kaleb.”

“Bullshit Blu,” Kaleb shouted. For once he was totally innocent, can you believe that?

Kasey looked at Kaleb and smiled before he continued eating acting as if nothing happened.

“Dammit Kaleb, if your gonna send me food at least send the crap you cook.” Nan bitched him out.

Kaleb looked truly offended, “First, I didn’t do it. Second, Kasey, your cheesecake is in the car.”

“How come he gets cheesecake?” Blu asked.

“Business expense,” Kaleb said smugly shrugging his shoulders.

Kyle kept his face buried in his plate, making sure he remained as small of a target as possible.

“I’m a bloody business expense, I come under quality control,” Blu said arguing and losing focus of the original conversation.

Kaleb shook his head.

“Blu for being so smart, you’re stupid. If I pay Kasey in food for my bad words, I can write it off.”

Blu screwed up his face, “You sneaky fu…anta, that’s not fair.”

Shrugging his shoulders, Kaleb smirked at Blu. “You’re jealous I thought of that!”

“Kaleb’s lying Nan, he did it,” Blu said dropping into his chair crossing his arms.

Kyle laugh-choked on some of his lasagne.

“I think you had a bone in the meat sauce.”

Kyle looked up from his plate finding his brothers glaring at him.

Antonio and Vanessa, burst out laughing. “This is a madhouse.”

“This is nothing Dad, pretty tame compared to what usually goes on.” Tony shook his head.

“You’ll get used to us,” Blu said waving his hand dismissively, “sorry we really are usually better behaved when we have guests.”

Antonio put his hand up stopping Blu. “This experience has truly made up for my shitty, oops, bad day at work. Sorry I shouldn’t have cursed.”

Kasey nodded his head and smiled at Antonio.

“So, how were your pizzas, Nan?” Kyle smiled sickly sweet at the woman.

Her eyes narrowed at Kyle, Nan’s hands balled into fists at her side.

“Why do you ask Grandbaby?”

Lifting her hand she cuffed Kyle on the back of the head.

“I know it was you.”

Kyle rubbed his head while giving Nan a filthy look.

“You pulled the laxative in the cookies thing on all of us. My kids might be sneaky, but if you recall Kaleb and I grew up having to be sneaky also,” Kyle said his eyes completely filled with mischief.

“Aw, that’s sweet Kyle, but this is war. You mark my words boy, you are going down,” Nan said.

“Awesome,” Blu remarked.

“This is sooooo cool,” Levi clapped his hands together.

Lincoln walked in the room, “What I miss?”

“You’re grounded for another week for sending the pizzas to Nan.” Blu chuckled.

“But I didn’t do it, honest Pop,” Lincoln looked at Blu then Kyle.

“Nope, you didn’t.” Kyle smiled, “I did it!”

Lincoln’s eyes lit up.

“Way to go, Dad.” He high fived his Dad puffing out his chest proudly.

“My butt is on fire,” Levi rubbed his sore rear end.

Tony’s parents just lost their shit, they couldn’t stop laughing. Their son looked at them as if they had lost their minds. Blu couldn’t help but think the couple must not get a lot of time to have fun the way tonight had entertained them. Anyone else would probably run for the hills, but at least this pair had a sense of humor.

“Can I move in here?” Antonio asked as he wiped his eyes.

Kaleb laughed at Antonio, “The more the merrier, right guys?”

Kyle laughed, “Hey Nan, can we have those pizzas back since the family is growing?”

“The Judge will bring them over tomorrow, we couldn’t eat that much pizza. Olives – Yuck!” Nan shivered.

“I was going to get you anchovies, but I figured you had enough of them for the week.” Kyle snickered at the woman who looked as if she would kill him if she could get away with it.

They eventually managed to get Nan to go home, but not before she spotted the lasagne. She stomped off to the kitchen grabbing a container and filled it to the brim. The kids went to the game room with permission from Blu and Kyle. The adults all sat around chatting and laughing for a few hours, Kyle even broke open a couple of bottles of wine. Vanessa didn’t drink so she could drive home. The family enjoyed getting to know Tony’s parents.

“I saw an article about the kid's school, something about not letting gay teachers work there. Was that directed at the two of you?” Antonio asked.

Kyle stiffened, “It was meant to be directed at Blu, Jared, and myself.”

“Who is the asshole making noise?”

Vanessa gently slapped her husbands arm.

“What? There aren’t any kids in here, besides I’ve heard you say worse.” Antonio laughed.

Kyle sighed, “We had issues with a teacher named Stanley Hiscock, we never did or said anything remotely offensive at work. He is just a bible thumping hater,” Kyle said bitterly.

“Is there any way you can stop them from printing stuff like that? It shouldn’t matter if your gay should it?” Vanessa raised an eyebrow.

“Nothing we can do. Unfortunately, Hiscock knows how to skate close to the danger zone without crossing the legal boundaries.” Jared’s shoulders slouched.

“Well if anything comes of it, let us know we’ll have your back. I don’t know how much good that will do but we are here to back you up,” Antonio said earnestly.

Tony and his parents stayed a little longer, Kyle and Blu walked them out.

“You said you needed to ask a favor, Antonio?” Blu reminded the man.

“Oh yeah,” he said glancing at his wife before continuing. “We have a dance competition out of town next weekend. I was wondering if you would mind if Tony stayed with your family while we are gone.”

The poor man looked embarrassed to even ask, confirming Blu’s previous thought about Tony’s parents not doing much else but work.

“We teach Rock ‘n Roll, Rock-a-Billy, and Swing a couple nights a week. Some of our students wanted to enter a competition, we thought it was a good idea at the time. Tony doesn’t want to come with us but I don’t want to leave him at home by himself, he’s just not old enough for that yet.”

Antonio rushed through his speech, justifying what they would be doing and why they were asking the favor.

Blu and Kyle looked at each other gauging the other’s response, Kyle slowly nodded his head.

“Yeah, sure that would be fine. He’s a good kid, we wouldn’t mind at all,” Blu answered reluctantly with Kyle’s voice in his head.

“I can’t thank you enough, we’ll be happy to return the favor.” Antonio waved and left quickly.

“He’s going to regret offering to return the favor if we ever need them too.” Kyle laughed wickedly.

*****

Monday morning the family arrived at school. The kids jumped out of the SUV running off before Kyle had even cut the engine.

“Yeah, see ya guys. Have a good day, Dad and I will meet you here after school,” Blu said sarcastically.

He was talking to his kid's backs as they scampered off. Not that they could hear him, he was still inside the car and they were entering the building by then.

At the beginning of Blu’s class, he was a bit nervous to announce the competition. He was hoping it would motivate them, make them try and put something together.

“Good morning, I have some exciting news.” Blu looked around the room.

As per usual blank faces.

“The English Department is running a competition, all students in Year Seven or Eight are eligible to enter.”

A couple of hands went up. Blu waved them off for the minute.

“All you have to do is write a short story, under ten thousand words then submit it to the English Department or at the end of any English class.”

The same hands went back up.

“Yes, Sara,” Blu pointed to the girl.

“What does the story have to be about?”

“Anything you want, use your imagination. Saying that, nothing salacious, or sultry. It must be pure fiction. The winner will be decided by a panel of three teachers outside of the English Department. Everything is to be submitted using your Student Id number so nobody will know who’s work they are reading.”

“What do we win?” A lanky looking kid spouted out.

“Good question. The winner gets to go to a writers workshop for two weeks in summer.”

A few ooh’s and ah’s registered to Blu among some of the students.

“If you are interested I have flyers on the corner of my desk, pick one up on your way out.”

Blu smiled at the kids.

“Okay back to regular programming, Shakespeare.”

The entire class groaned, Blu laughed as he moved on with the lesson.

*****

Kyle met Blu at his classroom at the end of the day making Blu smile.

“Hey Blondie, did you have a good day?”

“It was a fun day, Lincoln is getting really good on the piano,” Kyle smiled as he leaned against the frame of the door.

“Do you think we should invest in a piano, or do you think it would be a waste?” Blu asked as he packed his briefcase.

“I would love to have one, but I think we should wait until the addition is done on the house.” Kyle glanced over his shoulder as some kids ran behind him in the hall.

“We’re talking a stand up aren’t we or are you thinking a baby grand?” Blu hoping for the former but not feeling lucky.

“Hmm… I’d have to think about that,” Kyle smirked at his husband.

“What’s going on out there hun?”

Blu noticed Kyle was slightly distracted.

“Uh…” Kyle turned watching Bella twirling her hair around her finger while Tony leaned against the locker next to her.

“What is it?” Blu said concerned by the look on Kyle’s face.

Picking up his briefcase he quickly went to Kyle’s side looking down the hallway.

“What the…” Blu said through clenched teeth.

He went to make his way toward Bella but Kyle placed his hand on Blu’s chest impeding his route.

“Babe, we have to trust them. As much as I hate to admit this, neither of them has given us a reason not to trust them.”

Kyle maintained a watchful eye on the two teenagers, pulling Blu back just inside his classroom door. The two men watched as Tony moved closer to Bella but not making any kind of contact except to brush her hair out of her eyes.

“Okay, well that was sweet,” Blu mumbled.

“He’s a good kid,” Kyle squinted to make sure Tony continued being the perfect gentleman. Kyle thought to himself, “Or god forbid I’ll kill him.”

Tony seemed to be asking Bella a question, she nodded her head and threw her arms around Tony’s neck. That was all it took for Blu to get past Kyle making his way quickly to their daughter. Kyle grimaced as he followed behind his husband, debating how to get rid of a fourteen-year-old boys corpse.

“Does he like bungee jumping without the rubber band thing?” Kyle wondered to himself.

Blu finally got close enough to the couple to let his presence be known. He plastered a smile on his face.

“Ahem,” he cleared his throat.

Bella and Tony jumped apart, it was like the scene in the bible where the seas parted.

“Tony asked me to the dance,” Bella said quickly.

“That’s nice sweetie, Tony do you like bungee jumping?” Kyle asked curiously.

“Uh… I’ve never done it, Mr. Kyle,” Tony answered nervously.

“Hmm… maybe we can plan an outing soon.” Kyle watched the teenager who appeared to be frazzled.

Bella wasn’t stupid and on to both of her Dads right away.

“He’s just joking Tony,” Bella said.

She eyed both of her Dads giving them the stink eye.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, thank you for asking me to the dance.” Bella all but fluttered her eyes at the boy.

“Excellent,” Blu grunted, “we have to get going, Bella. See you in class tomorrow, Tony.”

Tony scampered off quickly in case Kyle had any other ideas on how to spend time together, frightening the poor kid.

Kyle walked slowly in front of his daughter and husband.

“Could I buy a gun? I could take up target practice,” Kyle mumbled to nobody in particular.

Bella walked next to Blu, “That was embarrassing,” she mumbled.

They heard two sets of heavy slapping tennis shoes running up behind them, Kyle didn’t even have to look to know who it was before yelling out.

“Boys quit running!”

“Geez, who peed in your Wheaties?” Lincoln grumbled.

“Tony,” Blu and Kyle responded at the same time.

“Oooh… Tony got a girlfriend,” Levi joked around.

Bella huffed crossing her arms across her chest, “Shut up Levi, you’re all embarrassing.”

She sped up storming past her family out to the car clearly put out that her brothers were teasing her and that her Dads seemed upset about her having a boyfriend.

Levi went to call out something to Bella as she walked away but Kyle snaked his arm around the kid's neck covering his mouth with his hand.

“No,” Kyle said.

*****

Later that night after a lot of groveling and apologizing by the whole family, and a promise by Kyle not to take Tony bungee jumping or use him for target practice the house finally settled down as the kids went to bed.

Kyle pulled on his bed shorts before crawling into bed, joining Blu.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen Bella so mad before,” Kyle said before kissing Blu.

“I know, me neither,” Blu said pulling Kyle on top of him kissing him some more.

“As much as I really hate to admit it, Bella deserves somebody like Tony. He’s a really good kid, and I think I put the fear of God in him.” Kyle chuckled at how nervous Tony was earlier.

Blu chuckled. “Yeah, ya did. It was hot as fuck. Got me all riled up.”

“Maybe, you can speak with Mom or Steph, that way Bella can get a nice ankle length dress,” Kyle said as he snuggled into Blu’s side.

“Aw, I like you up here,” he tried to pull Kyle back on top of him. “No, I want to take her, we can’t keep fobbing off the hard girlie stuff to Mom and Steph, we are her Dads.”

Blu pulled on Kyle again so he would lie on top of him, kissing him intermittently.

Kyle shimmied down so his head laid on Blu’s chest, “Babe, I don’t know how to do the girlie thing. I know how to shop for boys, if I had my way Bella would just stay a little girl.”

“I’m the same way,” Blu sighed running his fingers through Kyle’s hair, “but if we don’t learn how to do this stuff, I’m afraid she’ll never come to us when she needs to. Bella needs to know she can come to us about anything. We really need to get a grip and learn how to deal with our feelings about her having a boyfriend. You were right, she was downright feral tonight.”

“That was our fault, she had every right to be upset with us. One thing I’m positive about, the boys can’t go shopping to help her find a dress,” Kyle shivered, “she might kill all of us if we did that.”

“Do you mind if I take her, or we could get Jared to watch the boys and we both go.” Blu suggested leaning down kissing the top of Kyle’s head.

“I’m not so sure anybody is willing to babysit at the moment, after the whole Nan ordeal.” Kyle snickered.

Blu laughed. “That’s for sure, now get up here and put that bat between your legs to good use.”

A few hours later, both were worn out and satisfied.

The house became quiet as sleep took over.

Well, wasn't that a fun way for the family to meet Tony's parents? How about Nan and Kyle's little war?

Thanks for reading, remember we like hearing from each of you. A special thank you to our Beta-Readers, for helping us with our mayhem.

See you guys in the next installment! We haven't forgotten the wedding...
Copyright © 2018 Aaron Hawke & JT Babbage; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 24
  • Haha 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



So the Prank War frontline shifted from Will & Liam’s house to Kyle & Blu’s house?  ;-)

 

 

Watch out Benny, they’ll be coming for you next!  ;-)

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

with that whole family blowing up, must have smelt pleasant. 💩 

…And then they met Tony’s family! I’m surprised there were no lingering odors – or did Kaleb’s Lasagna masked the odors? The Andersons are managing to overlook all sorts of things!  ;-)

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, empresslovesreading said:

Better be careful, them's fightin' words to Wesley. You know how he is about his Benny!

Yeah, but I’m not the one who’d be pranking poor, innocent little Benny! I’m not the one who seems to love these Prank Wars! I’m not the one with the terrible reputation for creating orphans.  ;-)

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, empresslovesreading said:

But YOU'RE the one putting ideas in somebody's head! Well, not to say Rob may not have already thought of it but I'ma thinking Joh may have something to say about it:/

But I’m just warning the poor, innocent little boy just in case things start happening. It seems to be contagious and Tracy and the other guys have been exposed to it! Someone needs to warn the little guy!  ;-)

Link to comment
22 minutes ago, Dahawk said:

Hold it, ladies, I'm innocent... this time.

Who are you calling a lady? I’m no lady! Not that there’s anything wrong with being a lady. But my sexual identity matches my genitalia (and presumably my chromosomes –there’s never been any reason to test them). As Mr Rogers used to describe it, I’m fancy on the outside!  ;-)

Edited by droughtquake
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Dahawk said:

I just figured the bickering had to be a bunch of old women chattering over tea and biscuits, like a good gossip session.

Old, yes. Woman, no. I made biscuits the other night, but you probably meant what we would call ‘cookies’ in the US. I’m also not a fan of British-style black tea. Japanese green tea is okay, but I prefer cola if I want caffeine. I hate coffee, the smell is nauseating.  ;-)

Link to comment
4 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

Stop while you’re not totally sinking in shit. Sexist much? 🤫

OK let me clarify a few things. First I'm not sexist, you post on peoples stories. I'm sorry I joke around with the readers, or at least I did until now. Second I will finish this book for GA, the next book for Worth the Struggle I will be rethinking the publication. There are eleven more chapters for Family Struggles, so you can keep the snide remarks to yourself. To the rest of the readers, I apologize, you will receive the remainder of this book.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Dahawk said:

OK let me clarify a few things. First I'm not sexist, you post on peoples stories. I'm sorry I joke around with the readers, or at least I did until now. Second I will finish this book for GA, the next book for Worth the Struggle I will be rethinking the publication. There are eleven more chapters for Family Struggles, so you can keep the snide remarks to yourself. To the rest of the readers, I apologize, you will receive the remainder of this book.

I was teasing Rob. Thought tone showed that. Didn’t mean to upset you.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..