Jump to content
    kuragari129
  • Author
  • 1,557 Words
  • 1,138 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life's Unexpected Surprises - 41. Chapter 12.4 - Regal - For Your Entertainment

It's Regal's time to show his stuff!! Or is it?

Regal

1

Here I was walking into the school with Arroh right behind me, and there it was. The poster I've been waiting for, the talent show. Every year the school does a talent show to show off our school's talent. I planned on winning again this year.

 

“Oh great, the talent show...” Arroh sighed as he stopped beside me. “You'll probably win it again for the fifth time.” I had won it every year I've been in this school.

I shrugged. “I'll be modest for a second; maybe I won't.”

 

Arroh snorted. “Who would beat you? You've got an in with the tech director. On top of all that your commitment to putting on a great show has always been there. If anyone in this school can match your showmanship.”

 

“Thanks, Arroh.” For a troublesome little brother, he sure knows how to encourage me. “That Vega kid has me concerned though. He's got a voice and a message.”

 

“When did you hear him sing?”

 

“Karaoke night, he played the song himself too.” That kid... the way he sings, such feeling behind it. “He's a powerhouse.”

 

Arroh shrugged. “If you say so. Don't screw it all up!” Arroh waved back at me as he walked away to start his day.

 

If I'm honest with myself, I want the competition. Having Vega up there competing against me would motivate me to do even better. Vega needs to be in the show for me to be on my A-game.

 

I didn't find him as I searched throughout the school the entire day. Addison and I even went out of our way to look for him. Ultimately we decided to go out for something to eat after school at his mom's restaurant.

 

His mother was working the front when we came in. “Good afternoon you two! How are you today?”

 

“We're great!” Addison was very cheerful today. “We were looking for Vega.”

 

She looked like she knew exactly why we were looking for him. “He wasn't feeling great today and wasn't at school. What did you two want from him?”

 

I cleared my throat before speaking. “We are having a talent show at school, and I wanted to ask Vega to participate personally.”

 

“Oh, are you helping run the show?”

 

“No.” I shook my head. “It's mostly selfish, but I believe Vega will push me to be better. That's the reason I want him in the talent show.”

 

Linda had a motherly smile on her face. “I will let him know about it, thanks, boys.”

 

“I was hoping to tell him myself actually.”

 

She seemed to hesitate at first, but relaxed. “Here, I'll write the address, and you can go talk to him. I'll give Vega a call, so you don't surprise him.”

 

“Thanks, Linda!” Addison and I spoke together. After getting the address we left as she was making the call. The address wasn't that far from my own, so it was just outside the bad part of town.

 

We got to the street pretty quickly; it wasn't far from the restaurant at all. We got there and knocked on the door. Vega answered in PJ bottoms and a t-shirt. “Yes? Mom said you wanted to tell me something?”

 

He seemed normal to me; maybe he got over the sickness already. “The school is having a talent show, and I want you to be a part of it.”

 

Vega emotion didn't change. “Why would you want that?”

“You're an amazing singer and performer Vega. I want the challenge.”

 

Addison chuckled a bit. “Take that as a huge compliment; Regal has won the past four years in a row. He has to think you have what it takes to beat him.” Addison was right, and to be honest I didn't I could beat him. Nothing like giving it a try though.

 

“I'll think about it, thanks for letting me know.” Vega went to close the door, but I put my foot in the way. “What else do you want?”

 

I didn't know what to say, I had a thought, but it just went away almost instantly. I took a step back freeing the door to close again. “Hope to see you in the show.” Vega gave off a grin as he closed the door.

 

You have to do it Vega; it's up to you to push me to be better.

 

 

Addison

8

Regal and I walked into the open mic night. Regal wasn't planning on singing tonight but wanted to check out who was here. Linda and Vega were sitting in the same corner as before, and we went to join them.

 

“Hey Linda, Vega.” I waved to them as Regal's eyes were focused on the stage.

 

Linda motioned for us to join them. “Hello boys, how are you two tonight?”

 

“We're doing just fine,” I answered. “Right Regal?”

 

That barely caught his attention. I decided to look at what he was looking at on stage. That Evie girl was up there talking with the DJ. “What is she doing here?” Regal asked mostly himself.

 

Vega's voice came from beside me. “She wanted to show me how well she could sing, so I brought her here. She's trying to convince the DJ to play a specific song.”

 

“I wonder what she's singing.” Linda pondered.

 

“Hope it's good.” Regal smiled.

 

Vega nodded. “Agreed. She wants me to sing with her for the talent show.” That caught all of Regal's attention. What could be going on in his head now?

 

After a few moments of silence, the DJ spoke over the mic. “Okay, little Miss Evie here is going to sing us a little Lindsey Sterling with 'Shatter Me.' The stage is yours!”

 

With that introduction, the music started and the stage lights focused in on Evie. She stood in front of the microphone stand, hands at her side. The xylophone started out the song, and then she sang the first lines to the song.

 

I pirouette in the dark

I see the stars through me

Her hands went up to mimic the motion of Lindsey's Violin. Her voice was crystal clear, giving me the shivers down my spine.

 

Tired mechanical heart

Beats till the song disappears

 

Somebody shine a light

I'm frozen by the fear in me

Somebody make me feel alive

And shatter me

Evie got so into the song; her hands were moving in perfect motion. Her voice got the perfect amount of intensity. She, combined with Vega, could easily take Regal on.

 

So cut me from the line

Dizzy, spinning endlessly

Somebody make me feel alive

And shatter me!

Shatter me!

Somebody make me feel alive

And shatter me!

 

If only the clockworks could speak

I wouldn't be so alone

We burn every magnet and spring

And spiral into the unknown

This girl had some serious chops on her. I've shivered several times listening to her, and Regal has too. The smile on his face though said the most. He was excited about the challenge she could provide him.

 

Somebody shine a light

I'm frozen by the fear in me

Somebody make me feel alive

And shatter me

So cut me from the line

Dizzy, spinning endlessly

Somebody make me feel alive

And shatter me!

Shatter me!

Somebody make me feel alive

And shatter me!

 

If I break the glass, then I'll have to fly

There's no one to catch me if I take a dive

I'm scared of changing; the days stay the same

The world is spinning but only in gray

 

If I break the glass, then I'll have to fly

There's no one to catch me if I take a dive

I'm scared of changing; the days stay the same

The world is spinning but only in gray

 

Somebody shine a light

I'm frozen by the fear in me

Somebody make me feel alive

And shatter me

So cut me from the line

Dizzy, spinning endlessly

Somebody make me feel alive

And shatter me!

Shatter me!

Somebody make me feel alive

And shatter me!

 

I watched the rest of her performance in silence. She was good, and everyone here knew it. She got a huge round of applause. The whole place was in chatter as she left the stage and joined back with us.

 

“How was that Vega? Convinced to join us yet?” She sat down in the last remaining chair at our table.

 

Vega had a grin. “Yes Evie, I'll do it. With that song as well.”

 

“Perfect!” She seemed very excited about it. “Maybe we can dethrone mister flawless over there.”

 

“Oh, thanks,” was Regal's only comment. Linda went up to sing; she sang ‘Where We Go' by Pink. It was quite a nice rendition. It was a slow night overall but was quite enjoyable.

 

Regal was mostly quiet for it though. When we went to leave after we parted ways with Linda, Vega, and Evie I turned to him. “So what's been on your mind all night?”

 

All he did was smile. “The Talent show.”

Chapter End.

1 - Regal's POV Part 1
2 - Elijah's POV Part 1
3 - Taxon's POV Part 1
4 - Taxon's POV Part 2
5 - Hunter's POV Part 1
6 - Elijah's POV Part 2
7 - Hunter's POV Part 2
8 - Regal's POV Part 2
Copyright © 2017 kuragari129; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..