Jump to content
    kuragari129
  • Author
  • 1,702 Words
  • 1,746 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life's Unexpected Surprises - 5. Chapter 2.2 - Hunter Brooks Act 2 - Nervous

Sorry for the wait between 2.1 and 2.2
Here it is though! Hunter is about to enter a whole new world!!

I sat there at our dining room table eating my breakfast. Jayce had taken a few days off to make sure I stayed at home for my grounding. It's been a boring week stuck at home.

“I'm glad that you had the chance to take your exams. How did they go?” The principal said I was only allowed on the campus to pick up my stuff and to go to my exams. “Hunter...”

I was playing with my food. “The exams weren't too bad; math was easier than English. They are both done now.” That marks the end of my time here at this school... loads of fun.

Jayce picked up his coffee and took a sip. “You all ready for your trip?”

Mom called me the other day. For now, I'm going to visit my dad for a while, if I don't like it, I'll come back. I don't even know what to expect from everything. Like who is my father? I know he's gay, but that's it.

“Ya, the flight is tonight,” I told him like he didn't know. He is the one who's driving me to the airport. “But you knew that.”

He chuckled. “Yep, that's why we’re eating breakfast. How close are you to finishing your packing?”

“I'm all done, just waiting for the time to go.” and that's what we did. I sat around all day, playing games until it was time to go. Then I sat listening to music tuning out the rest of the world.

Sadly, mom was super worried about me getting on a plane by myself, so I was put under supervision. I was lead around by some of the airport staff and left at the gate right in front of the desk.

The wait wasn't very long for the plane to start boarding. The plane ride was a pain, literally. With ear problems like mine, take off and landing makes me almost cry it hurts so much. The flight attendant actually asked if I was okay.

When the first plane landed, I was once again led right to the gate of the next one. That wait was painful. Three hours later I was finally on board the second and last plane. And after another almost cry session I was on the ground and away from the terrible plane.

I took a big gulping drink as an attempt to clear up my ears while I was walking through the airport itself. It was so tiny, like... wow. I shifted my backpack as I looked around for my mom. “Where is she?” I asked myself. “She wouldn't be late; she worries too much to be late.” Seriously, I had to message her every time I got somewhere.

That's when I saw a guy holding up a sign with my name, 'Hunter Brooks.' He looked like someone in their young thirties. Black hair that went down his forehead just reaching his blue eyes. He was dressed like a cool teacher. I walked up to the stranger and gave him a small wave. “Hello, I'm Hunter.”

“I'm not surprised; you look a lot like your father when he was your age.” He had a really kind smile, but I have no idea who he is. “I'm Nick, your father's partner. Your mom got called into work last minute, and so here I am.”

Just like that, my phone started to ring. It was my mom calling me. “Hey, Mom.”

“Has Nick arrived yet?” If that is not a confirmation I don't know what is. “I'm so sorry I'm not there to pick you up, work has been very busy.”

“It's okay mom; Nick is here. Am I going to see you tonight?” I haven't seen my mom in like two weeks. I miss her. It's normal.

“Yes, I will see you tonight. We're going to be having dinner at Nick's parent's place. I'll see you there; glad to know you're down safe.” It sounded like mom was about to hang up, but she stopped. “How are your ears?”

"Right ear is clogged right now, but it should clear up soon. I love you, see you tonight, bye.” I hung up before mom could continue to distract herself from work. “Well... now I feel awkward.”

Nick chuckled. “Well how about we get your bag, and we can get on our way.” I looked over to the baggage carousel; it had just started to move. “I'll be here waiting.”

After a couple of minutes, my bag arrived, and we set off. Nick kept trying to talk with me, but I was too awkward for anything besides one-word answers. He seemed like a really nice guy; I just don't know him.

I sat there mostly looking out the window. “Say, Hunter, do you enjoy Blades?”

I shrugged. “It's okay.” The truth is, I haven't read it much. It is very popular, though.

Nick looked over at me for a moment. “I have to stop by my friend's shop, and it has a bunch of Blades stuff in it. I'll only be a few minutes.”

“That's okay; I'll stay in the car.” I would rather not go into a strange place. I'm already in a car with my dad? I don't know what to call the partner of your dad... Is dad still a proper thing to call him?

Once we got into town, Nick stopped by the store. I could see all the collectibles in the store. There was also a cute blonde kid cleaning up the store. His bangs went down to his right side. His hair was almost white, which helped his cuteness.

I barely noticed Nick hopping back into the car. “What are you looking at Hunter?”

I snapped back into reality. “Nothing...” Blush overcame my face as I turned away from him.

Nick chuckled to himself. “Regal gets many girls and guys hitting on him. He is gay, so girls don't have much of a chance.” That guy in there is gay... Maybe I'll see more of him. “We're off to my parent's place now. They promised not to be too much, but I don't know how well they are going to keep that promise. Lucas and your mom should be there shortly or already there.”

I laughed. “If mom were already there I would have received a call by now.” Nick nodded and started the car. Time to go see strangers who are going to want to ask me way too many questions.

To my surprise, Mom was just in the yard as we pulled up. There was a kid there too, looked to be around 10 or 11. When I hopped out of the car, the kid came right over to me. “Are you Hunter? I'm Liam; we're cousins.”

Liam was a young kid, with a reddish-black hair. It was a neat color. His blue eyes shined at the sight of a new friend/cousin. He looked like a cute kid; he'll make someone really happy one day.

I offered the kid a smile. “That's me, nice to meet you, Liam. What are you and my mom doing?”

“She was showing me some soccer stuff.” Liam bolted off towards his soccer ball that was sitting in the yard. “I'm really good at soccer!” He started juggling the ball around without any use of his hands.

Mom came over smiling. “Thank you, Nick, for the last minute pick up.”

Nick waved it off. “It's nothing.”

“How are your ears?” Mom turned to me as she asked.

I shrugged. “Mostly cleared up, still some clogginess.” An older couple came out from the house. Nick walked up to them, calling them mom and dad. I guess these two are my grandparents?

Wait... I have four sets of grandparents now... I have Gran and Grandpa, Mom's parents. There are Jayce's parents, who I haven't seen much of. Lucas, my dad's parents. And then Nick's parents I guess would be my grandparents as well. I'm really lucky I guess.

They came up to me; I tried my best to keep eye contact. The gentleman spoke first. “Hello, Hunter. I'm Hector Bells, Nick's father. This is my wife Brittney, Nick's mother. You're welcome to call us by whatever you'd like.”

“Thank you, sir.” I offered a small smile.

Brittney spoke next. “It will just be us who are here and Lucas for dinner tonight. Liam's parents are out of town, which is why he's with us. My daughter Clair is his mom.” Liam was all proud that he was part of the conversation. “I hope this isn't too much too quickly for you.”

“Not yet Ma'am.” It will become too much when dad gets here... That will be something huge; we both probably will not know what to do with ourselves. “Do you mind if I go inside? I need to use the bathroom.”

Brittney smiled. “Go ahead; you're always welcome in our home,” I smiled before walking into the house.

On every wall, there was some kind of picture. Family pictures, some of just one, they had a huge collection of memories on the wall. It was all really nice. Just by the bathroom, there was a huge family photo. Everyone I met today was in it and more.

Standing beside Nick was a bigger fella... was this Lucas? I looked a lot like him; he looked like an older me for sure. I don't know how I feel about this.

“Looking at your dad?” Mom came in the house so quietly I didn't notice.

I nodded. “I think so at least.” I pointed towards him. “Is that Lucas?”

Mom placed her hands on my shoulders. “Yep, that's him. You must be so nervous; I know I am.” I said nothing. “Have you gone to the bathroom yet?”

“No...” I stepped away from her towards the bathroom.” I must have been in the bathroom for 10 minutes; I was well over my time in there. He could be out there, though, Lucas... my dad. I don't know if I could do it...

There was a knock on the door. “Hey, Hunter.” It was Nick. “Lucas just got here; I thought you would want to know.”

He's here...

So you might remember my mention of Regal in Taxon's Acts 2. I kinda fell in love with a picture I found online and based Regal on it.
If you want to see it just go to my facebook page, www.facebook.com/LifesExpectations/ and while you're there drop me a like?
Copyright © 2017 kuragari129; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..