Jump to content
    kuragari129
  • Author
  • 2,263 Words
  • 1,059 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Life's Unexpected Surprises - 29. Chapter 9.4 - Regal - The Judge

One more open mic night, this time with a twist!! All songs can be seen in Red and Italic.

4

Regal

It's open mic night!!! Can't wait for my time to sing again. Addison was saying goodbye to his sister, so we ended up leaving a bit late. That was fine though, the beginning is usually the one good singer and then a bunch of bad ones.

 

“What are you going to sing tonight?” Addie asked me as he pulled out of the driveway. “Are you gonna go rock or pop today?”

 

“I was thinking something different actually.”

 

He looked over at me shocked. “What?...”

 

“Don't worry; it won't be that bad. Promise.” I laughed as he shrugged it off. He's going to be so surprised when an acoustic guitar starts to play. I plan on playing Through Glass by Stone Sour. It's one of the few, probably the only song by them I listen to.

 

Addison shook his head. “You're crazy sometimes, but I love it.”

 

“You better!” We shared a laugh and continued on our way to the open mic. The ride was quiet with me singing to myself in my head. Can't let Addie know what song I'm going to sing, considering it's one of his favorite songs.

 

When we arrived, I could hear someone singing inside. Couldn't tell what song it was from outside. The moment we got inside though, it was clear what song was being sung, and she sounded amazing.

 

 

Oh, you're beautiful, oh, you're beautiful

 

 

Scars To Your Beautiful by Alessia Cara, one of my favorite songs. Plus it's a song Addison's family plays together often. Whoever this lady was singing sounded damn good!

 

There's a hope that's waiting for you in the dark

You should know you're beautiful just the way you are

And you don't have to change a thing

The world could change its heart

No scars to your beautiful, we're stars, and we're beautiful

Whoa-oh-oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh-oh, whoa-oh-oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh-oh

And you don't have to change a thing

The world could change its heart

No scars to your beautiful, we're stars, and we're beautiful

 

 

When she fished, I clapped with all my might. Addie even gave a whistle to her. With a bow, she left the stage and walked off the stage and over to her company. The MC came on stage smiling. “Wow, Linda that was amazing. Please come back for more, maybe later on?” The whole place went up in cheers; I could only assume she was blushing.

 

“She was amazing!” Addie somehow got to me with all the noise going on. “You have to get up there and show off your skills.”

 

“Ya I will in a bit.”

 

I waved to the MC until he noticed me. “Our resident celebrity, Regal is in the house. We'll get to you later Regal; now we have another newbie coming on stage.” he took a moment to look at the paper. “Linda, is Vega, your son?”

 

“Wait, the only Vega I've ever known is that new kid, Vega Mills. Is that singer his mom!?” Addison spoke mostly to himself. If that Vega kid is anything like his mother, he's going to kill it.

 

“Well Vega seems to be a little shy still, so we'll move onto the next name on the list. We'll be back though Vega!” He went back to the person taking names for who will perform. “Okay, Kade Wilken the stage is yours!”

 

I grabbed Addie's arm and pulled him towards where Linda had headed. I needed to see this Vega kid and get his story. Pretty sure Addison figured out what I was doing before I even said a word.

 

When I found him, I headed straight to the table. Linda noticed our approach and ended a conversation before we arrived at the table. “I assume one of you is Regal.” She smiled towards us.

“That would be me. This is my boyfriend, Addison.” Addie gave a small wave towards her. Vega perked up when I said 'boyfriend.' “I wanted to tell you how amazing you are. Your voice is gorgeous. We only came in at the end, but it was one of our favorite songs, and we loved it.”

 

“Well thank you, Regal.”

 

“It truly was a great performance” Addison added in. “Where did you learn to sing?”

 

“Most of it is raw talent, but I had some singing lessons when I was young.” Linda kept looking over to Vega. “Vega here is just like his mother. Raw talent with his voice.”

 

“I look forward to hearing it later on tonight.” I smiled towards Vega.

 

He just shook his head. “I'm not going up there tonight.” Vega kept looking at the performer on stage, not losing focus at all

 

“How come?” Addison asked.

 

“Don't want to.”

 

Addison got a confused look on his face. “Why was your name on the list then?”

 

“Mom put it there.”

 

“That must have meant that you wanted to perform at one point...”

 

Linda shook her head. “No, I put it there even though Vega said he wasn't sure. I told them it was likely Vega would not perform.”

 

Vega's attention finally moved from the performance to his mom. “I'm just not ready yet...” Then he turned to us. “I used to put on shows at school, but I'm not feeling it anymore.”

 

We went silent for a bit after Linda welcomed us to their table. We sat just listening to the singers. There were some good, some okay, but most were super bad. It wasn't long before the MC looked over at us. “Okay Regal, it's your turn next to get up here!”

 

I turned to Addison. “I won't be singing the song in the plan, but I got a good one.”

 

“Looking forward to it Regal.” I heard Addison say something to Vega and Linda as I headed to the sound tech. After figuring out a few things with my USB and the song it was all set up and ready to go.

 

“EVERYONE! IT. IS. TIME. Regal take the stage!!”

 

I was handed the mic and waited for the house to calm down. Once it was quiet, I spoke into the mic. “For all the people who need a little help... this is for you.”

 

I think I need help

I'm drowning in myself

 

 

Help by Papa Roach... As the music started, I bounced on the stage with it. My left hand is holding my hair in place, so it didn't run to wild. I entered full-on rock mode singing this song.

 

Did someone turn the lights out?

Or is it just another dark cloud in my head?

Cause I'm cut deep, my heart won't beat

Deep down low it's killing me

If I wanna scratch out yesterday

I've got so much I need to say

 

I think I need help

Cause I'm drowning in myself

It's sinking in, I can't pretend

That I ain't been through hell

I think I need help

I'm drowning in myself

 

 

I almost screamed into the mic during 'through hell, I think I need help.' Like I said full-on rock mode. I didn't care if I didn't sound my greatest, Vega needed a little help right now, and this is how I was going to give it.

 

They're preying on my weakness

Believe it

I'm thinking to myself "No not again"

And I won't keep listening

When temptations creeping in

If I wanna make it another day

I've got so much I need to say

 

I think I need help

Cause I'm drowning in myself

It's sinking in, I can't pretend

That I ain't been through hell

I think I need help

I'm drowning in myself

 

The song enters a solo piece here. So I gathered myself and wiped the sweat from my forehead. Full on rock mode take lots of energy. How the hell does Jacoby do this regularly?

 

Jacoby is the singer of Papa Roach by the way.

 

I think I need help

Cause I've put myself through hell

 

 

The calm before the storm. I spoke so softly; it was like a different genre. Just to burst out all over again bouncing around while singing. It's the last chorus, after all, gotta give it your all.

 

I think I need help

Cause I'm drowning in myself

It's sinking in, I can't pretend

That I ain't been through hell

I think I need help

 

I think I need help

I think I need help

 

 

The song finished and I was just exhausted. Standing there on stage, sweaty and panting, I smiled because even if my goal didn't work out, I had one hell of a good time on the stage.

 

 

7

You could see Vega's gears moving in that head of his. He was thinking about getting on stage, I could tell. Performer after performer went up on stage. I was even asked to go back on stage at one point.

 

Addie and I would talk with Linda, while Vega stayed rather quiet. We spoke about the people up on stage. It was mostly on how they could have been better, but there was a few that were just plain bad.

 

In the middle of us talking Vega suddenly got up and walked off. I tried to follow him, with my eyes but lost him in the midst the crowd. I figured that he headed off to the bathroom or something and thought nothing more of it.

 

Then I saw a keyboard getting set up and Vega talking with the sound tech. “Eh, Vega is going to perform.” I pointed towards the sound booth to show Addie and Linda.

 

“He's actually going to sing.” Linda sounded so happy; her eyes never left Vega.

 

Before long the MC came back on stage. “It's finally time for Vega to come up on stage. With the help of a trusty keyboard, he will sing for you all.”

 

Once set up he hit a couple of notes and found his place. With a signal from the sound tech, Vega closed his eyes and belted out his song.

 

There's a fire starting in my heart

 

 

Just his voice echoed through the room causing chills down my spine.

 

Reaching a fever pitch, it's bringing me out the dark

Finally, I can see you crystal clear

Go 'head and sell me out and I'll lay your ship bare

 

 

When a single note was struck on the keyboard, another set of chills filled my body. I was covered in goosebumps from head to toe. A regular beat of the piano

 

See how I leave with every piece of you

Don't underestimate the things that I will do

There's a fire starting in my heart

Reaching a fever pitch

And it's bringing me out the dark

 

The scars of your love remind me of us

They keep me thinking that we almost had it all

The scars of your love, they leave me breathless

I can't help feeling

 

 

You could see he was preparing to give it his all in the chorus. I sat there sitting in anticipation for what was to come.

 

We could have had it all

Rolling in the deep

You had my heart inside of your hand

And you played it, to the beat

 

 

The room filled with applause for Vega, but I don't think he noticed. He was too caught up in the song to notice everyone else.

 

Baby, I have no story to be told

But I've heard one on you

And I'm gonna make your head burn

Think of me in the depths of your despair

Make a home down there

As mine sure won't be shared

 

The scars of your love remind me of us

They keep me thinking that we almost had it all

The scars of your love, they leave me breathless

I can't help feeling

 

We could have had it all

Rolling in the deep

You had my heart inside of your hand

And you played it, to the beat

 

 

You could see how much emotion he was putting into the song. Pretty sure I could see a tear strolling down his face. There was so much emotion in the song; it was hard not to be caught up in it.

 

We could have had it all

Rolling in the deep

You had my heart inside of your hand

But you played it, with a beating

 

Throw your soul through every open door

Count your blessings to find what you look for

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold

You'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you sow

 

You're gonna wish you never had met me

Tears are gonna fall, rolling in the deep

You're gonna wish you...

 

You could have had it all

Rolling in the deep

You had my heart inside of your hand

But you played it

You played it

You played it

You played it to the beat

 

 

The entire place echoed in applause and cat calls. Linda was clearly proud of her son. Myself... I saw competition in front of me. Vega, whether you know it or not right now, we are now rivals.

Vega actually got up and sang with his heart on that stage. With Regal's eyes set on his new rival, what will happen between these two boys?
Copyright © 2017 kuragari129; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..