Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 4,538 Words
  • 6,182 Views
  • 11 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Morgan Lore - 11. Chapter 11

First day jitters and wanting to skip ahead already…to the good part

A snowstorm kept Rory away from Milan’s house the night before school started. Rory woke up early the next morning determined to reach the office before Milan. He wanted Milan to have an easy first day, and to make sure no one gave him a hard time at school. Grabbing up a jacket from his closet, he wore his boots and left his bedroom heading downstairs.

It was five-thirty in the morning, and the house was already buzzing with activity. When he got downstairs, he headed to the kitchen and was glad to see June Vadisi manning the stove. She was the best cook in the house.

“Morning, Rory,” June greeted, as he paused by the coffee maker to get a cup of coffee. “Did you sleep well?”

“I did,” Rory answered, sipping his coffee.

He watched June plate scrambled eggs, two sausages and fresh-baked biscuits for him. She placed the plate on the table, motioning him over. His stomach growled in anticipation making June chuckle as he sat down.

She brought a bowl of cut fruit: kiwi, strawberries and banana, which she placed next to his plate.

“I haven’t seen you at breakfast lately,” June said, sitting to his left. “I think this is the first time I’m seeing you in here in a week, Rory.”

“I’ve been kind of busy.”

“Doing what?” June sat back sipping tea from a huge mug that read ‘Were Mommy of the Year’. A gift from her daughter, Jade and Topher’s mate, Maryanne.

“This and that,” Rory answered, spooning scrambled eggs into his mouth.

He didn’t really want to discuss Milan with June Vadisi. She was head of security, and the moment he said Milan was his mate, she would get into investigation mode. Not that she wasn’t already. His trip to the edge of the forest yesterday had her looking at him with speculative eyes.

“You’re keeping something from me.” June stated after a minute.

Rory kept eating, not willing to admit anything, yet.

“Fine, you’ll have to tell me sooner or later. I just want you to know that I’m on your side, Rory. You know that, right?”

Rory met her gaze then and nodded, wondering if she would still be as supportive when it came to bringing Milan into his life as his mate.

“I know you’re sweet on the human boy from the Takeda family,” June said after another minute of silence. “Don’t take it too far though, Rory. It’s hard enough trying to make sure his mother doesn’t stumble into information she shouldn’t at the hospital. A human in a school full of werewolves is going to be insane. I don’t envy Rick. Why we can’t just kick them out, I don’t know.”

Rory stared down at his plate.

“If no one goes out of their way to cause trouble, there is no problem,” he said. “You shouldn’t fault the Takedas for moving here. They are just trying to live their lives.”

“I know, Rory, but it places our way of life in danger,” June argued, placing her mug on the table. “I have my hands full with Biosense, as it is. I’m kind of glad Lechter is seeking a new vote on Biosense.”

Rory bit into his biscuit with enough force to break a tooth. He wanted to argue with June over this, but he had to protect Milan.

Weeks ago, he would have agreed with June on this. Humans in their town were a liability no matter how you looked at it. He would have worked to make sure they found an easy solution to have the humans move to the next town. They had done it before.

He had done it before.

“Rory?”

He looked up to find June staring at him.

“What?”

“Chris left with Matt and Topher earlier,” June said. She was frowning as she studied him. “Are you okay?”

“He’s fine,” Connor said, walking in to the kitchen, cellphone in hand. “You know how he is about going back to school. I’m surprised he woke up so early.”

“Morning, Dad,” Rory said, then sipped his coffee.

“I’m glad you’re awake. You are on rescue duty,” Connor said.

“Come on,” Rory started to protest. He really wanted to make it to school first. He had promised Milan last night.

“The Cohagens are snowed in, and I need you to show up there and give them support, Rory. I have everyone out salting the roads and helping out. It will take some time before they get across town. Mildred says her car won’t start. You’ll need to give their daughters a ride to the academy too.”

“You’re killing me,” Rory said, shaking his head as he shoveled food into his mouth.

It was almost six. Driving out to the Cohagens would take him fifteen minutes if he floored the gas. Who knew what situation he would find there?

“You’re in a strange mood this morning, Rory,” June noted, cocking her head to the side.

Rory finished his food, took his plate to the sink and rinsed it out. He gulped down the rest of his coffee and rinsed his mug too. He placed both dishes in the dishwasher and dried his hands with a napkin.

“Thanks for breakfast, June.”

“Anytime, kiddo. When you wanna talk about what’s crawled up your ass, find me in my office,” June said, wiggling her fingers at him.

Rory forced a chuckle for her and started for the door.

Try to keep up your normal routine.’ Connor reminded him on their private link when Rory was out of the kitchen. June is not easy to fool, Rory. You’ll have her at Milan’s door if you keep this up.’

‘I’m working on it. Please stall Lechter for me. He looks like he’s going to get the Council meeting soon.’

‘I’ll see what I can do.’

Rory shrugged off the growing uneasiness from his conversation with June. The urgent need to discover what Kiyo Takeda was hiding in his lab pressed on the back of his mind. He shook it all off, and headed to the pack house garage. He couldn’t take his dear Mustang today. Instead, he climbed into the pack house’s white heavy-duty four-wheel drive pickup fitted with a snow plow. They used it on bad weather days to help out those who were snowed in or just to clear roads. The truck was in good condition, as the pack welfare office made sure it was serviced on time and had snow-tires.

Checking the time, Rory plugged his phone to the dash, and drove out of the garage hoping he would be done in time to reach school before Milan.

Chris called him when he was close to the Cohagen’s house.

“You didn’t tell me Ayu Takeda was an over-achiever,” Chris greeted, sounding like a man who was in deep. “He is doing an insane course on computer programming. I’ll fail all these classes.”

Rory laughed.

“No one said you had to be in the same classes.”

“Lechter insisted,” Chris said with a groan. “He is like a dog with a fucking bone. He says I need to be close enough to Ayu to know when he shits.”

Rory shook his head.

“Matt and Topher are not supportive of this plan. Is there something I should know?” Chris asked. “Why do they think I shouldn’t betray Ayu this way?”

Rory closed his eyes unable to voice the truth with Chris. He should, but this truth was hard to say out loud when he knew his bond with Milan had barely started.

“Just be kind to him,” Rory said, his tone rough even to his ears.

Chris went silent on the other end.

Rory slowed down at the Cohagen house, pulling over to the side as their driveway was non-existent. This was going to take him more than a minute.

“Fine,” Chris said into the silence. “I won’t do anything with Lechter until you tell me what has you so tight-lipped. Let’s go out for dinner tonight.”

“Can’t,” Rory said. He wanted to see if he could hang out with Milan tonight.

“When?”

“Maybe tomorrow afternoon?” Rory suggested. “After school.”

“Your school or mine?”

“Mine, of course,” Rory grinned.

“Yeah, alright. And Rory,” Chris said.

“What?”

“I got your back.”

“I know,” Rory said, bringing the snow plow down so that he could get started on the Cohagen driveway. “See you, bro.”

Chris ended the call, leaving Rory to his work. Rory turned on the stereo, playing music from his phone, working to the Bad Wolves. When the driveway was cleared, he parked the truck and got out to head to the Cohagen’s front door.

Mildred opened the door for him. She looked harassed. Her youngest was months old and Rory could hear him crying in the kitchen.

“Rory, thanks for coming. The girls are upstairs getting ready. Come to the kitchen to get warm as you wait.” Mildred took her son from his bassinet, and he stopped crying. “I can’t keep him down, he just wants to keep being held. You’ll have to pour yourself a cup. My husband is out back dealing with tree branches that fell on his workshop roof. I’ve been asking him to get those trimmed but he won’t listen.”

Rory glanced at the time on his phone. He was sure he was not going to make it in time to meet Milan. So, he dialed Jack Bennet, as Mildred left the kitchen to go push her daughters to hurry.

Jack answered his phone after two rings.

“’S up.”

“You in school?”

“Yeah, I’m meeting Rowen and her newspaper team about the yearbook.”

Jack was the student body president. Jack was really nice to everyone so it wasn’t a surprise he had won the votes. Rory liked to think of him as the future politician of the pack.

“Need a favor. I know you’ve heard about Milan starting school today. Can you tell the office you’ll be his guide? He’s in your grade.”

“Yeah, no problem. Where are you?”

“Across town getting the Cohagen girls to the academy.”

“That will take more than a minute,” Jack said. “See you when you get back.”

Jack was right. It took at least twenty minutes to get the girls downstairs. Rory dropped them off at their academy at seven-fifteen. He drove to Ashland High too fast, his head buzzing from the incessant garbing the Cohagen girls had left in their wake. They talked nonstop, about everything.

Rory turned into the parking lot behind the gym and parked his truck next to Principal Rick’s car. It was the only place to with enough space for the pickup.

Rory jumped out of the cab, leaving his heavy jacket on the passenger seat. Locking his car, he ran to the open doors and groaned when he saw Principal Rick in the hallway by the gym talking to the swimming coach.

“Morgan, I need to talk to you.”

“Can’t it wait?” Rory asked.

“My office now,” Rick said, making Rory clench his fists in protest.

Rory fought the urge to rebel against the order as more than a few curious gazes fell on him. Rick raised an eyebrow and Rory gave in, following Rick to his office.

Outside the main office, Rory caught a glimpse of Milan walking down the opposite hallway with Jack beside him. He stopped to watch Milan talking to Jack, until Rick cleared his throat drawing his attention.

“Something interesting?” Rick asked, following his gaze.

Rory shrugged and hurried into the main office, eager to finish whatever this was.

“Why did you want to talk to me?” Rory asked, watching Rick settle in his huge chair behind his desk.

“Can you sit?”

“No.”

“Fine, the human just got his schedule. His mom is with the school nurse. He has a medical condition that requires special attention.”

“His name is Milan,” Rory stated.

“Right. Milan. I heard you were at the town grocery because of him.”

Rory shrugged, refusing to elaborate more.

“Well, Rory, keep an eye on Milan, as that is now your job. Keep him out of trouble. Wouldn’t want him getting hurt during gym or something. I don’t have to remind you what’s at stake here.”

Rory nodded.

“Well, okay, you can go then,” Rick said, frowning at him.

Rory left the principal’s office and went running to Jack’s homeroom. Milan’s lingering scent painting a wonderful trail. Then, Rory almost lost it when he saw Jack standing too close to Milan, his hand on Milan’s shoulder. Red filled his brain and he was on Jack before he really knew what he was doing.

‘Don’t touch him.’

Rory growled deep, his eyes turning to Jack’s surprise. Jack’s gaze widened, and he took a step back, lowering his head hoping to keep Rory calm.

Why didn’t you tell me he is your mate?’ Jack asked, shock clear in his voice

I’m not announcing it just yet. He’s human.’

Rory took in a deep breath hoping his eyes would change back soon.

Shit, that’s harsh. Chill out then because you’re freaking him out,’ Jack said, unable to keep hide his wince at Rory’s tight grip on his hand.

Rory found sanity when he felt Milan’s hand on his arm.

“Hey.” Milan’s voice wrapped around him, a soothing balm pulling him back from the edge. “He was moving me out of the way, you know. You’re being rude.”

Rory’s eyes returned to normal and he let go of Jack’s hand with a relieved sigh. Jack turned to enter his homeroom.

“Milan, see you inside,” Jack said out loud as he projected to Rory.

‘I’ll look out for him, Rory.

“Great, you’ve scared off my first friend in this place,” Milan said. “Why are you so annoyed in the morning?”

“He touched you,” Rory stated, turning to Milan, jealousy still on the surface. He had barely gotten to touch Milan, it was killing him having to keep this insane distance.

Milan’s delicious scent enveloped him, and Rory took a step forward hoping to drown in it. He couldn’t imagine having to live without Milan this close. Yet, he knew it was going to keep happening until Milan accepted him.

“You look amazing,” Rory murmured, stepping closer hoping he could take in his fill, like an addict. “You smell good too.”

Milan blushed and pressed his palm on Rory’s chest.

Rory smiled at the small touch, taking a step back, a very small step. He captured Milan’s hand in his needing the connection.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” Rory said, his fingers sliding over the fine fabric of the black gloves Milan wore. “I got caught up in something and couldn’t get away on time.”

“This early in the morning?” Milan asked, glancing at the time on his phone.

“It was unavoidable,” Rory said, wanting to explain he couldn’t avoid his duties to the pack. “Did you get everything you need at the front desk?”

“Yeah,” Milan nodded, tapping his drawing pad. “I got my schedule. Jack says it’s the same as his, so I don’t have to worry about getting lost in the maze of hallways.”

Rory reached up and tugged on a dark curl on Milan’s head. How he wished he was Jack.

“I’ll make sure you don’t get lost.”

“We have different classes,” Milan said. “You’ll get late getting to yours if you follow mine.”

“I can still make sure you don’t get lost,” Rory said, a wave of disappointment filling him when the warning bell rang through the school. He wanted more time with Milan. More…everything.

“It’s just a warning bell.”

Rory soothed when Milan gave his homeroom door a nervous glance.

Milan pressed his back on his locker harder. Rory noted his wary gaze. He was coming on too strong, he knew that, but stepping back was harder than he could explain.

The halls were getting empty.

“We-we should go in,” Milan said. “It’s my first day. Don’t want to be late.”

Rory sighed.

“Can I see your schedule for a minute?”

Milan’s classes were nowhere close to his. The only thing they had in common was sixth period.

“We have the same lunch. I’ll pick you up after your calculus class. You’re in calculus?” Rory asked, impressed that his mate was super smart.

Then again, Milan’s parents were both doctors.

“I like math.” Milan grinned, taking back his schedule. “See you, Rory.”

“Yeah.”

Milan nodded, and had to push Rory back to get away from his locker.

Rory smiled at the small shove Milan gave him, wanting to hold on and not let go. He watched Milan enter his homeroom with a silly grin, not missing Milan’s amused gaze. He ran his fingers through his hair when Milan disappeared, and stared up at the roof, wondering if it would be alright to sit in Milan’s homeroom.

His classes were torture. He counted the minutes to sixth period. He almost screamed at his history teacher for keeping them in longer as she handed out assignments. Those precious minutes cost him, he missed Milan at his calculus class. He caught up with him in the cafeteria.

Jack’s friends surrounded Milan on all sides, and it almost drove Rory nuts. Jack saw it and urged Adam and Josh away from Milan. Wrapping an arm around Milan’s shoulders, Rory caught Jack’s amused gaze, and was glad when Jack led his friends to a table in the middle of the cafeteria.

From there it was bliss. Rory loved every minute of lunch with Milan. He wanted to spend the rest of his life simply listening to Milan. Watch Milan’s eyes brighten as he talked, his hands moving to express himself. His laugh when Rory said something to amuse him. Rory closed his eyes when Milan sunk fingers into his hair, gentle strokes that left him content as nothing else could.

The only annoying thing about lunch period was Rowen Santos.

She too had moved into Portento at the start of last year, though she understood well what the town hid. Her biggest flaw was her inability to keep out of his business. He was going to have to find her later and have a serious talk with her.

Milan was off limits. She had no right to mess with him.

Rory walked Milan to his locker after lunch, wanting to know what Milan was sick with. It worried him because he had seen Milan at his worst. He wondered if it would happen again, but when Milan refused to tell him, he felt hurt.

Then, when he suggested Milan use his hall pass to escape gym, Milan leaned up and kissed his cheek. A soft brush of lips on his jaw, nothing big, but it set Rory afire with delight. He couldn’t help grinning like a crazy man. He wondered what Milan would do if he asked for another.

Milan laughed at his reaction, a beautiful blush coloring his cheeks. Rory’s heart clenched then, wanting to pull Milan into a tight hug. Knowing he couldn’t yet frustrated him, and impatience bloomed with a vengeance.

He wished he could speed up time into the future, to when Milan would look at him with love in his eyes.

By the time his free period came, Rory had come up with a thousand scenarios of getting Milan to trust him enough to think of being his boyfriend. Like getting locked up in a bunker together, or going on a long trip to a remote island, just the two of them. None of those ideas seemed sane enough, still he wanted to try them.

Rory was at his locker when his phone buzzed and he pulled it out to check the message.

‘At the nurse’s already. Got tired in the middle of Italian class.’

Rory smiled as he sent a reply right away.

‘I’ll see you there in a few.’

“Oooh, are you already sending each other messages,” Rowen teased coming up behind him.

“Rowen.”

“He’s human.”

“So?”

“I’m just saying. You’re like an infatuated boy.” Rowen leaned on his locker when he tried to open it. “Don’t you think you should keep it together? You should avoid him, not stick to him.”

“I heard you giving him a hard time,” Rory said, pressing his palm to the locker, above her head. He leaned close enough to whisper into her ear. “If you do it again, you’ll not be happy, Rowen.”

Rowen stiffened, her eyes darkening as she scowled at him.

“What are you going to do about it?” she hissed, also keeping her voice down.

“I gave the Cohagen girls a ride to that prep school they go to this morning,” Rory said. “Guess what they were talking about? You and Marcus Garvey meeting up at his house. He’s part of the pack, right? Does your warlock mom know?”

“You wouldn’t,” Rowen said.

“Try me. I can already see her blowing up like a mad woman. You’ll be locked up in the attic for a month.”

Rowen shoved him hard. Rory braced himself as he went flying from the power behind the small shove, stopping only when his back came into contact with the lockers on the opposite wall. Rowen had inherited her mom’s gifts. She used them, generously.

“Fine, you win.” Rowen hissed at him when everyone in the hall turned to look at them.

When nothing else happened, everyone continued on their way. Rowen hooked her thumbs on her bag and pushed off his locker.

Rory shrugged his shoulders to shake off the punch, though he knew there would be a bruise on his back for a while. Fucking with warlocks was not the smartest thing. Their power gave them an unfair advantage. He sighed and stood still as Rowen closed the distance between them.

“What do you want from this little deal?” she asked, holding his gaze.

“Don’t treat Milan the way you did earlier today.”

“Deal.” Rowen rolled her eyes. “I’ll be nice. You keep your end of the bargain.”

“Until I can’t,” Rory answered, thinking the Cohagen girls would spread the gossip even before he thought to.

“Same goes here,” Rowen replied, and turned to leave. “P.s. Milan’s cute. Maybe, I’ll try to kiss him.”

Rory decided to ignore that parting shot. Rowen was queen when it came to pushing limits. He returned to his locker, and stowed away his books, he took his history book though remembering his assignment.

His last period was free because he had met all the credits he needed to graduate this year. So, he would usually leave school and head to the pack offices.

Not anymore, he thought as he headed for the nurse’s office. Now, he would reserve this period for Milan.

At the nurse’s office, he found the nurse gone, and Milan resting on a bed in the corner with the curtain pulled for privacy. Milan was asleep, his drawing pad on his lap, a humidifier working tirelessly on a table beside the bed. Milan’s bag right next to it.

Rory dropped his history book on a chair and moved to take the drawing pad, not wanting to wake Milan. He perched on the side of the bed and opened the drawing pad to see Milan’s work.

Rory smiled when he found a pencil drawing of his white wolf standing at the edge of the forest. His mate had talent: the wolf looked real, and so majestic. Rory turned the page to find different scenes on a full page. Milan had sketched Jack and his friends having lunch in the cafeteria. There was one of Rowan, with a small note written at the bottom. Kinda/sorta foe/friend’.

Rory turned the page and took in a deep breath when he recognized his eyes looking back at him. Just his eyes, nothing else. Rory touched the blue color, his gaze sliding to Milan. It was nice to know Milan was thinking about him.

He closed the drawing pad, placing it on the table.

“Rory.”

Rory looked up to find Nurse Lori watching him.

She waved him over and he got up, careful not to wake Milan. Lori ushered him into a smaller room where her desk was, closing the door as she moved to perch on her desk and he dropped into a chair set against the wall.

“I don’t think I’ve seen you in here since you and Rowen fought last year and she gave you a bleeding nose,” Lori said, folding her hands against her chest.

Rory laughed. He had almost forgotten that incident. Rowen asked him to take her to the spring formal for her sophomore year and he refused. She smacked his face in retaliation.

Rory rubbed his nose remembering the insane pain.

“She doesn’t take no easily.”

“Well, she’s calmed down, I think,” Lori mused. “I haven’t gotten her casualties today. So, are you here for the little one in there?”

“Yeah,” Rory nodded, with a small smile.

“He pushed himself to the limit today. First day jitters,” Lori said. “His mom came in the morning. Lovely woman. She was worried about him overdoing it. I guess she was right.”

“Do you know what he’s sick with?” Rory asked, hoping Lori would let it slip.

“I do,” Lori smiled, “but I can’t tell you unless he wants it. Let him tell you when he’s ready.”

“Is it life-threatening?” Rory asked, worried.

“It can be, but his condition is well-managed. He’s not in any danger right now. I heard both his parents are doctors. He’s lucky. Some kids aren’t.”

Rory had seen the effort Ilaria and Kiyo put into protecting Milan’s health. Wiping a hand down his face, he stood up.

“Well, thanks Lori.”

“You care about him,” Lori studied him, then she smiled. “Hmm…more than you should.”

Rory shrugged and opened the door. He was tired of hearing that last comment. Milan was his and there was nothing anyone could do to stop that. They would all have to adjust to the news soon enough.

When he got back to Milan, it was to find him awake, and staring at his phone.

“Hey.” Rory perched on the edge of the bed.

“Hi.” Milan slipped his phone into his pocket and shifted to his left to look at him. “I fell asleep waiting for you.”

“You must be tired.” Rory took Milan’s right hand. “We’re halfway through the last period. You can sleep some more if you want.”

“Are you sure?” Milan asked, his brown eyes heavy with sleep. “You might get bored.”

“Yes, I’m sure,” Rory said, squeezing his hand. “I’ll stay with you.”

Milan sat up and reached for his book bag from the table with the humidifier. He pulled out his iPad and unlocked it, handing it to Rory. Rory took Milan’s book bag and placed it on the chair with his history book, as Milan settled back on the bed.

“Wake me up when the bell rings then,” Milan murmured, drifting back to sleep.

Rory settled at the foot of the bed, folding his legs under him and concentrated on exploring Milan’s iPad as his mate slept. Content and happy.

***

(2018) (Lee Suilan)
  • Like 45
  • Love 44
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like the intensity brought about by Rory's barely contained need to surround and protect his mate. He's a powerhouse of a teenager barely in control of his emotions.

However, he has met his match in Rowan who is a character i really like. She appears diminutive but boy can she pack a punch with those mystical powers of hers. The only youth who dares put Rory in his place. And he is a little wary of her too. She has definitely seen something of interest in Milan as a friend. That she can taunt Rory with that, is a never ending source of joy for her.

I expect they'll all end up really good friends. 

Jack is turning out to be a great guide for Milan too. Milan has to be pleased with how his first day at the school went.

He's got a wild dark haired macho besotted with him and he is already focusing on those eyes. Rory must surely have an insane grin looking at that drawing.

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Love 4
Link to comment

The comments of others in the community that were made to Rory demonstrate the challenge Rory faces in order to keep Milan with him.  Rory is having none of that however.  I was surprised that he didn't want to confide in Chris, his brother, that Milan was his mate.  Chris is definitely close and wants to support him.  I was happy Chris said he would support Rory in regards to Chris' assignment to find information about Ayu.  Chris should take his assignment as an opportunity to learn.  Ayu would probably be a good tutor for Chris.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..