Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,563 Words
  • 6,444 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Morgan Lore - 17. Chapter 17

Kiyo Takeda, are you the Villain?

Rory held Milan’s hand on their way down the stairs. Milan vibrating with infectious excitement. Rory couldn’t help mirroring his smile. His heart reveled in this unexpected freedom to express a small percentage of what he felt for Milan. When they got to the ground floor, Milan wrapped his arm around Rory’s waist.

“You’ll call me, right?” Milan asked. “You don’t use your phone very much, do you?”

Living in a town of wolves almost made cellphones obsolete. He could connect to any wolf in the territory. With that kind of freedom sending texts and calling was too much work. He had gotten the phone to use with Milan.

“I’ll call you,” he promised now.

“What are you going to do again?”

“Chores at home,” Rory said. “My dad is very strict about getting them done.”

“Right,” Milan stopped in the living room. “He sounds tough.”

Rory brushed dark hair out of Milan’s eyes with his fingers.

“He’s a good guy. You’ll like him, Milan.”

Milan hugged him, pressing his face into Rory’s chest. Rory held him, marveling at the simple pleasure of hugging Milan. His heart marked every touch, every caress, every hug and kiss. He wondered if it would always be like this.

I’ve added cut fruits in a bowl,’ Rory heard Marie say in the kitchen. She was talking to Ilaria. You can keep them in the fridge for him to eat later. As for the bananas, you can have them with him now. Bring any empty bowls home. I’ll wash them.”

Yes, Mom,’ Ilaria answered with a laugh. How do I look?

Like you’re ready to take my advice,’ Marie said, a smile in her voice.

Rory’s arms tightened around Milan, he pressed a kiss on top of Milan’s head before stepping back. He brushed his lips against Milan’s and smiled when Milan tried to prolong the kiss. They both heard Ilaria coming, and Milan stepped back with a disappointed sigh.

“Mamma,” Milan said, when she appeared from the hallway to the kitchen. “You’re home.”

“Come give me a kiss,” Ilaria said, waving Milan over.

Milan hurried to her side, hugging her tight, as she kissed his cheeks. She pressed her palm on Milan’s forehead, and Rory realized she was checking Milan’s temperature.

“How was your day?” Ilaria asked Milan.

“Very good,” Milan said, stepping away from his mother, and glancing at Rory.

“I bet,” Ilaria followed her son’s gaze to Rory. “Rory, it is nice to see you again. Thank you for staying with Milan.”

Rory nodded, not sure how to answer her. Ilaria was a very protective mamma bear. His plan right now included getting Milan out of this house and into his newly-minted suite at the pack house to live with him for life. She was likely to rip him apart with her hands for this plan. It was better to be nice to her until he could break that piece of news.

“Are you going out?” Milan asked, his gaze taking in his mother.

Ilaria looked beautiful in a red lace dress that hugged her figure to perfection, stopping an inch above her knees. She was gorgeous. Looking at her, it was hard to believe she was the mother of two. Her long hair fell down her back in heavy dark curls. She had put on makeup this evening.

“Is it too much?” Ilaria asked, turning so that Milan could have a good look.

“It’s enough,” Milan said, smiling. “Mamma, you look so beautiful. Is there an occasion I don’t know about?”

Marie came up from the kitchen carrying a large box filled with supplies. Rory moved to take it from her before Ilaria could.

“I’m going to remind your father what his wife looks like,” Ilaria said with a wink at her son.

Milan laughed, the sound of it making Rory smile.

“Let me check your hair to see if there are any grey hairs,” Milan teased, stepping up to his mother, and hugging her tight. He stroked his fingers through her long hair, once, then twice.

“How is it?” Ilaria asked, wrapping her arms around his slender frame.

“No grey hair for you,” Milan murmured, still holding his mother. “He’ll be a fool not to notice.”

Ilaria chuckled and rubbed Milan’s back.

“Alright, don’t stay up too late. If you feel unwell, buzz me. Don’t wait until you can’t stand the pain. Promise me, Cucciolo.”

“I will call you, te lo prometto,” Milan replied, as he let go of his mother.

“Marie,” Ilaria prompted.

“I’ll check on him,” Marie promised as well.

“Okay,” Ilaria took in a breath. “I’ll go now. Be good, Milan.”

She turned to Rory, and an elegant brow rose up when she saw him holding on to the box of supplies Marie had prepared.

“I’ll walk you out,” Rory said, heading to the front door. “See you, Milan.”

Marie chuckled and reached for Milan, as Ilaria stood transfixed.

“Hurry, Mamma,” Milan urged. “Let Rory help you.”

Rory grinned as he opened the glass doors and went into the sanitary room to wear his boots. He was fast about it, careful to get out into the cool evening first. Ilaria’s black Audi was parked close to the front door.

His car a few feet away. Rory glanced back at the front door, to make sure Ilaria had not come out yet. He walked to the back of the car, and crouched down where no one could see him. With his right hand, he gripped the right back tire, allowing his hands to change, the wolf right on the surface, nails curving into deadly weapons. He pierced two nails into the tire, wincing as air hissed out.

His hand returned back to normal and he straightened up just as the front door opened.

Ilaria came out wearing red heels to match her dress. A black coat covering her dress to fight the cold. She was adjusting a scarf around her neck as she made her way to her car. She unlocked the car, and Rory opened the trunk to place the carton of supplies in the neat space.

“Rory,” Ilaria said, coming to stand next to him. “Do you like my Milan?”

Rory adjusted the bin full of medical supplies already in the trunk to make sure it stayed steady.

“Yes.”

“He is not your average teenager,” Ilaria said, touching the bin of medical supplies. “One who dares like him must know that he carries a lot more on his shoulders. His life is fragile.”

Rory turned to face Ilaria.

“He told me about his condition,” Rory said, not missing Ilaria’s narrowed gaze. “I’m not afraid.”

Ilaria studied him for a minute.

“You’re an interesting one.”

She urged him away from the car so that she could close the trunk. She started to head back to the driver’s side, and Rory moved to the right of the car, inspecting his handiwork.

“Dr. Ilaria.”

She paused in the act of entering the car to look at him.

“I think you have a flat tire,” Rory said

Ilaria sighed, and came around to where he stood.

She surprised him when she stomped her foot on the ground, murmuring in Italian what sounded like a curse.

“What bad luck is this?” she said. “I’ve been meaning to take this car in for service in town, but there is hardly time. The spare tire is not good either.”

“I can give you a ride,” Rory said, nodding to his car. “My uncle runs a car shop in town. I’ll call him and make sure your car tires are fixed.”

“Oh, Rory, I can’t leave this to you. It’s not fair on your time.”

“I don’t mind it,” Rory promised. “Really, let me drop you off.”

Ilaria studied the flat tire for a moment, then she looked down at her shoes and she seemed to be indecisive.

Rory opened the trunk, got the box of food supplies and closed the door with a small slam that jolted Ilaria out of her thoughts.

Ilaria followed him to his red mustang, giving a low whistle when he opened the passenger door for her with a flourish.

“You’re dangerous, aren’t you?” Ilaria asked, as she slid into the passenger seat.

Rory decided then that Ilaria had a keen sense of things.

“Never to you,” Rory said, closing the door before she could say anything more.

He stowed her carton of supplies in the trunk of his car, then hurried around to the driver’s side. When he slid into his car, she smiled at him, her seat belt already clipped on. Rory blew out a nervous breath and started the car quickly lowering the volume on his music. He pulled out of the Takeda driveway a minute later.

“Where do I go?” he asked, remembering that she did not know he had an idea of where her husband’s lab was located.

“Take a right turn when you are out of the compound. Kiyo’s lab is not in the Biosense compound, but outside it. His research is supposed to be independent of the company, but that is never really sure. If he makes a breakthrough, they are quick to claim it.”

Rory filed that away and did as she asked. He did not have to fill the silence. Ilaria touched the door handle and grinned at him.

“I can’t remember the last time I rode in one of these convertibles.” She chuckled. “Kiyo also loves fast cars. When I first met him, he owned a Ferrari, screaming yellow. The color was wild, but I loved how fast he would drive it.”

Rory smiled.

“Does he still have it?”

“He’s cooled down on the color these past few years, his Ferrari is black. Now, it is in storage as we are not sure if we can stay here after three years,” Ilaria said. “Shipping it here will be a waste if we are going back to Europe.”

Rory frowned.

“You don’t think you’ll stay?”

Ilaria shook her head.

“We never stay. Kiyo’s very ambitious. The more funding avenues open up, the more we move. Biosense is not the only company that wants his work.”

Rory felt as though he might want to scream at the thought of Milan away from him. He would have to find a way to convince Milan to stay here with him and not leave.

“Don’t you want roots? A permanent home?” Rory asked, slowing down when she indicated the familiar dirt road he remembered from before.

“Having roots depends on personal definition,” Ilaria said, when he turned and followed the road heading to the little cottage in the middle of the forest. “My husband and sons are my home, my roots. It doesn’t matter where we are.”

“What about belonging in a place? Don’t you think they deserve to have more than just the family to hold on to?” Rory asked, wondering if he could ever manage a life away from the vast network of support that was Portento.

“In life there comes a time when the only place you truly belong is with those who love you. Support is good to have in a community, but it is also can be constricting,” Ilaria said, her tone wistful. “It’s hard to escape collective thinking in a group of people. I learned that the hard way. Life is chaotic, experiences very personal, some life-changing. Most people never understand decisions that don’t fit the norm.”

Rory stopped his car in front of the quiet cottage, thinking about Ilaria’s explanation. She was right to a point. Lechter came to mind, and he shuddered. Yes, Ilaria was right in a way.

“I’m very sure Milan will ask me if he can take a ride with you from school soon,” Ilaria said into the following silence. “These past weeks he has brought up the topic and the merits on my time. I’ve felt bad saying no, and pushing his suggestions aside because I was wary of you. I'm always wishing he can ask me something I can say yes to.”

Rory parked the car, leaving the engine on for the heat. He turned to look at Ilaria and she sighed.

“To be honest, I’m still wary of you. Milan is fast to trust. I’m not.”

Rory nodded, and held her gaze.

She wrinkled her nose at him, and then pointed to the air vents on his car..

“A billion germs come in from these vents,” Ilaria said. “Get the air vents cleaned when you take my car into your uncle’s garage. Change filters and get the system flushed. You need to keep the air clean. Milan’s greatest weakness is his lungs. He gets comfortable in cars and won’t wear his mask.

“If I get it done today, can I give him a ride around town tomorrow? It's Sunday, no school.”

“You work fast.”

“I try.”

Ilaria opened her door and sighed.

“I suppose an hour or two won’t hurt him. But only if you get your vents cleaned.”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

Ilaria chuckled and got out of the car. Rory shut off the engine, got out and rushed to the trunk to get her box. She was in heels so she waited for him to take the box, and led the way into the cottage.

Rory followed her, his hear racing, hoping she would trust him enough to get him into Kiyo’s lab. Ilaria paused to turn the switch on the wall that would get the floor door sliding open. She started down the stairs, and Rory followed her senses alert. He brought the box up, hiding his face, when she placed her palm on the lock.

The heavy door hissed open after a minute and she pushed it in.

“Come on, Rory. Might as well have you carry the box in since you’ve made it this far. You can meet Milan’s Papa.”

Rory breathed out in relief, and followed Ilaria in to Kiyo's laboratory. The light so bright it was hard to believe they were underground. The door closed automatically behind him. Ilaria removed her scarf, walking deeper into the open-floor room. The tables at the entrance were laden with cartons from Biosense.

Equipment, Rory assumed.

Ilaria paused at a long table with open files, and papers. She spent a few minutes righting the papers so that they would not fall. Rory stopped close to her, skimming notes that didn’t make much sense. The handwriting was terrible and he couldn't understand much, so he gave up.

“Kiyo?” Ilaria called as they passed that table, going around a Japanese folding screen with bamboo tree decorations.

Rory followed after Ilaria and paused when he found this part of the lab was set up like a small apartment. A large work desk with computer screens by the farthest wall on his right, and a complete sitting area in the middle of the space with a television mounted on the wall on Rory’s left.

Ilaria urged him to place the carton on the wooden coffee table in the middle of the room.

Rory did so, and stood taking in the wall ahead, the only one that was solid stone with a door. Rory averted his gaze from Ilaria and closed his eyes, focusing his hearing beyond the door.

‘…reasons I can't meet the blood donor. There are properties in the blood you provided that have me thinking I’ve stumbled on a new discovery. The formula I've developed is working very well on Milan but, it’s difficult to pinpoint the reason why without knowing any details about the donor.’

Kiyo was talking to someone on the phone.

How is your stock? Have you ran out?

“Kiyo?” Ilaria called again, going to the desk with the computer screens.

She pressed a few keys on surface of the table, and a light over the door turned orange.

‘No, of course not. You’ve been generous with the supply. I’m just wondering—

‘No need to wonder, Takeda. Create the product and that’s all you need to know. Your research progress is due next week. Milan’s condition will serve as a report. I look forward to seeing him.’

‘But—

Rory heard the dial tone, then a soft curse. Kiyo was not happy. Rory's thoughts went on a spiral. Blood donor? What did Kiyo mean? And who was on the phone? Why was there a sense of familiarity? Shit, he had hoped Kiyo had nothing to do with the pack. Mention of blood threw that wish out the window.

He wants to see Milan?’ a second voice said, young, male.

Rory froze.

Kiyo had someone with him beyond the wall, that voice sounded too young to be a lab assistant.

He won’t let me use the infusions on you until I can prove they are working,’ Kiyo said.

Milan is doing well, though. He’s even going to school in this horrible weather, which is more than I get.’

Rory bit back a growl at the accusation in that voice. The boy beyond the wall seemed a tad too jealous of Milan.

The light’s orange,’ the young man beyond the wall said suddenly, he sounded excited. Ilaria must be here.’

Rory wondered if Ilaria knew the boy.

‘She’s probably worried. I haven’t been home in days. Go back to your bed. Get some sleep, Nisin. You should be fine on your own tonight. We’ll discuss this tomorrow.’

When do I get to meet them?’ Nisin asked, his tone pleading. Rory sensed the same sadness and loneliness in Milan. ‘You promised I could your family soon.’

When we manage to control your health,’ Kiyo promised, though Rory heard the ring of untruth in Kiyo’s tone.

Kiyo did not trust Nisin with his family. No. Kiyo did not trust whoever was on the phone, Nisin’s dad maybe?

Go on, Nisin. I need to see Ilaria now.’

Rory shifted when Kiyo opened the door with the orange light. Kiyo paused when he saw him. His gaze wide before he turned to Ilaria.

“You remember Rory,” Ilaria said in greeting, not moving from the desk with the computer screens. “He is now Milan’s friend. He gave me a ride over because my car tire got a puncture. Rory, greet Milan’s Papa.”

“Hi.” Rory smiled at Kiyo.

“I’ve met him before,” Kiyo said, closing the door behind him. The light above turned red and Rory wondered if Nisin ever got out.

“Be kind to him,” Ilaria said, crossing her arms against her chest. “Rory, thank you for helping me bring supplies here. When will you pick up Milan tomorrow?”

“At ten, if the weather is good,” Rory said, happy she was allowing them the outing.

“Don’t forget to get your air vents cleaned,” Ilaria urged.

“I’m heading there now,” Rory said, gripping his car keys tight.

He turned to Kiyo, taking in a deep whiff of Kiyo’s scent. His wolf could sense deception in humans. There were those who wore the cloud of deception like a dark cloud. Judging from the work Kiyo did, Rory expected the heavy weight of that darkness to shroud Kiyo like a cloak.

Yet, there was only a sense of growing worry in Kiyo. Worry and exhaustion. Rory’s frown deepened. It was good to find no sense of deception, but the boy stuck in a room inside Kiyo’s laboratory raised more questions than it solved.

“Thank you, Rory Morgan,” Kiyo said, glancing at him, his tone dismissive.

“Anytime, Dr. Takeda,” Rory said, waving at Ilaria as he turned to leave.

Rory walked around the screen, and was by the table filled with notes when he heard Ilaria’s coat drop on the floor, and Ilaria chuckle with delight. Rory rushed to the heavy door, leading out of Kiyo’s laboratory not ready to listen to Milan’s parents make out.

When he reached the door, he paused to study it for a minute. It hissed open before he could fully take it in the mechanics, and he turned to see Kiyo watching him from the screen wall.

“Thanks,” Rory said, stepping out.

“Drive safe,” Kiyo called back, as the heavy door closed after Rory.

Rory stood staring at the closed door. Now that he knew what was in Kiyo’s lab, a heavy weight pressed down on his shoulders.

Kiyo had talked about blood, and a blood donor. Blood provided by a third party. Whatever research Kiyo was carrying on had to do be connected with Portento. Had to be connected to the pack, or any other special being within the town’s borders. Kiyo might not be getting the blood himself, but having wolf’s blood in his possession did not help him.

Wiping a hand over his face, Rory walked up the stairs to the main floor of the cottage. The floor door closed after him, and when he was standing outside, Rory let out air, standing in the open clearing his gaze on his car. What now?

The hair on his arm stood in warning, his fingers curling into fists as he sensed almost fifteen wolves hiding in the forest. In a second, he knew it was the security team he ran with for patrol.

‘Alpha Rory,’ June Vadisi’s voice filled his head, authoritative and hard. By the order of the Council, you are hereby summoned to appear in a closed circle this evening.’

Rory gritted his teeth.

The council is here...
Love,
Sui.
(2018) (Lee Suilan)
  • Like 46
  • Love 26
  • Wow 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nisin is a major surprise; will have to go back and reread, but don't remember any mention of anyone else being in the lab or involved in Kiyo's work before.  What a time for a council meeting; but we all had to know this was coming.  Who is the voice, and why was it so familiar to Rory?  Could it be another wolf, could this be tied to the rogue wolf that just disappeared in an earlier chapter?

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Sorry, but I have to say this -- Nisin is a vampire, Rory is a wolf, so where is the werebear?  ;)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
On 11/17/2018 at 1:49 PM, FanLit said:

I’m holding off judgement on Kiyo.

Kiyo is quite a character to write.  I love how everyone has this ideas about him already, it makes it exciting when writing ahead.  He's straddling being a villain in a way. So much fun.

 

On 11/16/2018 at 5:44 PM, Hellsheild said:

Nisin...Ni (2 in Japanese their native language) sin (bad action) 

This...hahaha...gosh I loved this. I wasn't even thinking it when naming this character. Still, I love it!!

 

On 11/16/2018 at 8:02 AM, bookjunky18 said:

There seems to be a juxtaposition developing in terms of Milan and Rory's relationship and Milan's family vs the wolves

Rory is going to head this town soon, so yes you're right, there are a lot of people who want to project on him what they hope a perfect Alpha should look like.  He has a lot to stand up to. 

On 11/17/2018 at 12:39 AM, centexhairysub said:

What a time for a council meeting

Yep, the council is always watching....dadada...lol.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, lilansui said:

 

This...hahaha...gosh I loved this. I wasn't even thinking it when naming this character. Still, I love it!!

I'm not hearing a no. Lol

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Sounds like someone is supplying Kiyo with a wolf blood derivative. Feel sorry for the poor kid being locked up like a lab rat. At least Milan gets to live with his family.

Kiyo is probaly just self absorbed in his work with no time for social graces. He must have some redeeming qualities that we haven't yet seen otherwise the smart, attractive Llaria would not be with him still. I bet a local werewolf is getting paid handsomely for the blood supplies. Two people from the school including the dark wolf in the chase, possibly?

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

What a chapter!  Rory heard enough to know that Biosense is providing blood to Milan's dad.  Dr. Takeda is focused on Rory's cure that he wants to know more about the donor.  He's educated enough to know that the blood is highly unusual. He sounds more like a victim of fate than a villain.  I wonder if the blood donor is the sick lone wolf that Chris and Rory were chasing? 

In addition, Dr. Takeda has another patient with the same problem as Milan, Nisin.  I suspect from the information we got before that Nisin is the son of the head of Biosense.  Kiyo is in the middle of something that may bring trouble to the community as well as Kiyo's family.  Nisin seems like a good kid in a bad situation and also needs to be rescued.  Now it looks like the Council is going to demand some answers from Rory.  The next chapter is going to be one hell of a ride.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..