Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,186 Words
  • 8,207 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Morgan Lore - 13. Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Portento is Sanctuary: It Calls those in Need.

Rory lay on his bed staring at the ceiling, his brain unable to shut down. It was late, he had driven in from Grandma Asta’s at eleven o’clock. Shifting to the right, he took up his cell phone and swiped his thumb over the screen. He couldn’t help smiling at the message from Milan.

‘Hope you got home okay. ‘Night, Rory.’

He had replied over an hour ago, but couldn’t help staring at the message wondering if Milan was asleep. It was a few minutes to midnight. He hoped Milan was asleep by now.

Turning off his phone, Rory sat up, his thoughts filling with Grandma Asta’s warning. Like she kept his secrets, she was never wrong about her warnings.

Beware of the shadow, Rory frowned.

Could be someone following him? Or a shadow coming ahead, like foreboding shadow…Rory shook his head, pushing fingers through his hair.

That aside, how was it possible to be the only wolf in Portento to have a human mate? Surely, there had to be others before him.

Getting out of bed, Rory pulled on a t-shirt, adjusted the waistband on his boxers and sauntered to his bedroom door. Dim lights illuminated the corridor, and as he stepped out, he was careful to close his bedroom door.

Since he could not sleep, this was the perfect time to explore the archives in the attic, unnoticed.

Christopher’s bedroom was next to his on his left, after that was Matt’s room, then the stairwell.

Rory paused to look to the end of the corridor on his right at Topher and Maryanne’s room. Their door was closed too, not that he wanted to investigate. Walking to the stairwell, Rory started up the stairs to the attic, only to pause when he heard his father’s rough voice from the end of the left corridor. There was a small sitting area between his father’s suite and the Vadisi suite. The Alpha and his Beta were having a night cap. His father sounded as though he had drunk more than a few.

“We should postpone the boys’ ascension ceremony,” Connor said, his tone sounded conversational, but Rory picked up on the hard edge. “I know Rory’s turned eighteen, but wouldn’t it be better to name them when they have all found their mates?”

“I’m surprised Rory hasn’t found his yet,” Kutler said. “Topher and Maryanne found each other in the gatherings we have. Matt is late too, but I'm sure he'll find him or her soon. As for Rory, the alpha needs a mate to help him hold the pack together.”

“That’s very traditional thinking, Kutler,” Connor said, with a scoff. “I’ve not had my mate for eight years. The pack continues just fine.”

“I’m not saying that the pack is suffering,” Kutler soothed. “But, you had Johanna when you were taking the reins from your father. She made it easier for you. The pack was secure and strong through your transition. I want that for Rory too. So, would she.”

“I don’t want to talk about her,” Connor hissed. “Don’t hold traditions over Rory’s head, Kutler. It is bad enough we have to deal with Lechter and his campaign against the humans. The future is already going to be hard enough for the boys. We don’t need to make it harder pushing ancient rules on them. This pack needs change.”

“Easier said than done,” Kutler said, with a heavy sigh.

Rory gripped the banister tight, glad to hear his father advocating change. Not wanting to intrude on a private conversation, he continued up the stairs, careful to remain undetected.

The attic took up the whole roof, and served as a private family library. It housed all the pack records from year to year, century to century. Funny thing was that no one in the family really came up here other than to store more records when the shelves downstairs got too full.

Rory closed the attic door and hurried to the lineage shelf in the back. He needed to find if there was a record of another wolf mated to a human in Portento, especially in his lineage. However many centuries he had to go back, he needed to know how the pack had handled such a rare event.

Rory stayed in the attic reading through old records until he fell asleep sitting at one of the tables, old record books open around him. He woke up with a start at six in the morning when he heard a car start in the front yard.

Rubbing his eyes, Rory let out a yawn and grabbed up the books on the table returning them to their place. He had found one record dated two decades ago of a human mated to a wolf. The wolf was not a Morgan so he had been kicked out of town with his human mate. Rory hated to imagine how that must have felt. It wasn't easy leaving Portento.

He left the attic with a heavy sigh and raced back to his bedroom determined to reach school before Milan. Whatever their fate, he wanted to spend every second he could with his mate.

Grandma Asta’s gift opened a new world for Rory.

Thanks to the bracelet he no longer felt an insane urge to tear heads off when Jack, Adam and Josh stood too close to Milan. In fact, it felt good to know that Milan was making friends. After dinner the night before, Rory felt as though he understood Milan a little. It was good to see Milan smile when Jack talked to him.

During lunch period, instead of sitting alone at the table at the corner, Rory led Milan to sit with Jack and his friends.

Through lunch, Rory watched Milan laugh at Jack’s jokes, join in the conversation when Jack's friends asked Milan questions. Milan sat beside Rory, and often leaned into him when he was put on the spot. The unconscious movement, unnoticed by Milan, felt like immense progress to Rory.

Rory's favorite time of their second day in school was Milan’s last period.

They spent Milan’s last period in the library this time as Milan wasn’t tired enough to need sleep. Milan did his homework, while Rory read a novel from the shelves called ‘The Legend of Asena’. Periodically stealing glances at Milan when he was sure Milan was too busy to notice.

Milan had kept his mask on through the day, only removing it at lunch. Rory was glad to see Milan felt comfortable enough to pull it down when they were alone together in the library. When the bell rang, signaling the end of the day, Rory helped Milan gather his books as Milan wore his jacket.

“I wish I could come over this evening,” Rory said, walking with Milan to the front doors.

“You can, you know,” Milan offered, adjusting the weight of his book bag on his shoulder.

Rory stopped him by the doors, turning him so that he could zip up Milan’s heavy jacket. Milan looked up at him, brown eyes filled with an emotion Rory could not describe. Rory narrowed his gaze when he saw a frown flirt across Milan’s forehead. He remembered Ayu and Ilaria’s worry that Milan would get bullied, or not be able to make friends and felt his heart ache.

Rory placed his hands on Milan’s shoulders, and smiled, holding Milan’s gaze.

“Remember I told you about my big brother, Chris?”

The frown disappeared and Milan nodded.

“Yeah?”

“I’m meeting him this afternoon. It was a promise we made earlier, so I can’t break it. Otherwise, I’d love to come over your house and discover if Marie has more of that crostata.”

Milan smiled then and Rory’s heartbeat skipped at the sight of it.

“If you want, I can ask Marie to make some and pack it for lunch tomorrow.”

“I’d love that,” Rory said, opening the front door, he ushered Milan into the cool afternoon. The weather wasn’t too bad: the sun on the snow was beautiful but the air remained chilly.

Rory was glad to see the black Audi he knew belonged to the Takedas already waiting at the curb. He walked Milan to the front passenger side, opening the door, he waited for Milan to slide in, before he peeked in to see Ilaria.

“Afternoon, Dr. Ilaria,” he greeted her with a wave.

“Rory. How is your afternoon?”

“Great,” Rory answered.

“Are you coming over later?” Ilaria asked.

“I have to meet my big brother,” Rory said. “I’ll come over tomorrow though.”

“Oh, alright,” Ilaria smiled at him, and Rory turned to Milan.

“See you, Milan.”

“Say hi to your brother,” Milan said.

Rory nodded and closed Milan’s door. He stepped back and watched the Audi drive off already wishing he could see Milan again. A short honk brought his attention to a green jeep parked behind him.

Rory grinned when he saw Matt, Topher and Chris watching him.

“What?” Rory asked, when he slid into the backseat next to Chris.

Chris would not stop staring.

“Don’t ‘what’ me,” Chris folded his hands against his chest, resting his back against his door to look at Rory. “What was that just now?”

“Where?” Rory asked.

“You, being all nice to the humans,” Chris scoffed. “I don’t think I’ve ever heard you use that gentle tone with anyone. Not even, Grandma Asta. Spill now.”

Rory looked at Matt and Topher who were studying the road ahead quite hard. He chuckled and turned to Chris.

“I’m making friends, Chris,” Rory said. “Aren’t you supposed to be doing the same with Ayu Takeda?”

Chris narrowed his gaze at him, before he shrugged and shook his head.

“Don’t remind me. I’m having a hell of a time with him. He’s always on the phone when it’s time for lunch. It’s hard to get a word in when he’s talking Italian nonstop on his phone.”

“To whom?” Rory asked.

“Someone named Tina,” Chris sighed. “The most I’ve managed is waving my hand at him. He gave me this look like I was the enemy.”

“You are the enemy,” Rory pointed out.

Topher drove away from the main town, turning right before they got to the road that led to the pack house. He drove deeper into the forest, coming to a stop at a familiar clearing. Anyone passing by the clearing would think the wood house built in the middle of the clearing a shack, but they had all grown up hanging out here.

Topher parked the jeep in a careless stop before he and Matt jumped out, closing the doors as they ran to the shack.

At the entrance into the small house, Rory saw Maryanne jump into Topher’s arms, Matt went around them entering the shack with a short laugh when the lovers started making out.

Left in the silence of the jeep, Rory stared at his boots until Chris squeezed his left shoulder.

Rory glanced at his big brother.

“Do you remember my mom?” Rory asked.

“Of course, Rory. The same way you remember my mom.”

“Since I found about Milan and his family moving here, she’s all I can think about,” Rory said, shaking his head. “I remember she didn’t mind humans, said we had a lot to learn from them.”

Rory looked out the window, his gaze on Matt and Topher who were now sitting on benches set outside the shack.

Rory’s gaze took in the wild nature surrounding them: tall trees, snow on the ground and the cool air.

His thoughts filled with one of the last memories he had of his mother. He remembered her driving in to town with Aunt Leona, and taking him along on their day out in the town. It was mid-summer, days before they both died. Chris had gone camping with Uncle Derrick, Leona’s mate.

Johanna and Leona bought Rory a banana split at a little café in town ran by one of the original families. Then sat talking while he destroyed his banana split. They laughed, and made jokes, danced to music from the jukebox. It was the best memory Rory had of his mother. He remembered every detail about that day. How happy she had looked.

“Rory?”

“I need your help,” Rory said, his jaw set. “Please help me keep Milan’s family in this town.”

“Why?”

Rory closed his eyes, his hands curling into fists.

“I—”

Rory started, then stopped, swallowing hard.

“Humans murdered my parents and your mom,” Chris said, not waiting for Rory to finish. “Left them for dead in the middle of a road like roadkill. Have you forgotten that?”

Rory shook his head.

How could he?

“I won’t ever forget it.”

“If you remember, then you should give me a solid explanation. Our story is not unique. Almost half the pack in this town has had a run-in with tragedy tied to humans. Some stories are more horrific than ours, and it pains me to say it, because ours is not so great. Portento is sanctuary to all that are other, not for humans.”

“Yes, I know that. Sanctuary to all who seek relief. It calls those who are in need of protection to find solace from their suffering,” Rory recited his mother’s words. Remembering them as though she had told him an hour ago. “I know Portento’s purpose, Chris. I respect it but, I also feel as though Milan is here seeking sanctuary too.”

“Milan, Milan,” Chris said, “Matt and Topher are also going on about this Milan. 'Chris, don't hurt Milan's big bro.' 'Chris, be genuine with Milan's brother.' Who the hell is he to you?”

“My mate,” Rory answered, meeting Chris’s gaze, his heart plain for his big brother to see. “He is mine, Chris, and I need your help to protect him.”

Chris hissed then got out of the jeep, hands on his head.

Rory hurried after him, only to stop when Chris turned to face him, his eyes glinting yellow.

“Don’t ask this of me,” Chris said, his tone heavy with sadness. “I can’t do it.”

“You don’t know him—”

“Neither do you!” Chris cut in, his canines extending, fur rippling up his arms, clearly upset. “How long have you known about this?”

Rory took in a deep breath knowing this was going to hurt. He and Chris had promised never to keep secrets from each other.

“The day you raced Dolon,” Rory answered.

“Shit,” Chris growled, walking back to grab Rory’s t-shirt collar. “What am I to you?”

“You’re my brother,” Rory answered, meeting angry yellow eyes. “You have to know this was really hard for me to process. I needed time—time to get used to all of it. I’m still working on it even now. It’s really difficult for me to stay away from him—”

“It will be impossible for you to keep him, Rory,” Chris said, his tone harsh. “Snap out of it. No wolf in this pack has mated a human.”

“I checked the records last night. There was one before me,” Rory insisted.

“The council took care of that. The pair was chased out of the territory within hours of mating. You’re Alpha to-be, this will not fly with the council. Find a nice girl, do it with her, then marry her.”

“I don’t deserve that, Chris.”

“Why not? I do it all the time, except for the last part.”

“I’m not you,” Rory said, pushing Chris back, anger flooding him. “Fucking around like I’ll never find my mate. It would be worse knowing he is so close and I’m hurting him that way.”

“Then you’re an idiot,” Chris said, letting go of Rory’s t-shirt. “You’ll both end up dead if Lechter has anything to do with it.”

“Does that mean you won’t help me?” Rory asked, hurt by the thought of being on opposite sides with Chris. He couldn't abandon Milan, and with each day that passed, it looked like he needed Chris to get through this. Knowing that, it hurt even more to imagine Chris hurting Milan in anyway. “Guess I know why Lara left you. You’re a coward.”

Chris lashed out, punching Rory’s jaw hard.

Pain exploded in Rory’s mouth, and all the anxiety and frustration Rory had kept hidden rose to the surface. When Chris came at him again, he retaliated, pushing Chris back with force. In seconds, Rory shifted into his wolf, and was rolling over snow, mud and dried leaves doing his best to incapacitate Chris’s grey wolf.

****

“Which one of you will tell me why you were fighting?” Kutler demanded, thirty minutes later. It had taken both Matt and Topher to stop their fight. Unfortunately for them, the noise from their intense fight had attracted the security team's notice and soon everyone in the huge pack house had come out to see.

Rory now stood in his tattered jeans, his feet in borrowed muddy sneakers, blood sliding down his left arm from a deep cut on his bicep. His right eye swollen shut, and one of his ribs had turned a deep purple.

Chris stood beside him, supported by Topher and Matt. His left thigh had a deep gouge, and deep scratches crisscrossed his abdomen. His eyes were both swollen, and there was a deep cut on his lip. He kept his head down not daring look at Kutler.

“The future Alpha fighting his own brother,” Kutler scoffed. “What kind of picture are you painting for the young ones? Is this the type of leadership I expect from you?”

Rory shook his head, his hands in tight fists. He kept his gaze down too, not daring meet Kutler’s gaze.

When they didn’t answer, or try to explain the fight, Kutler let out a heavy sigh.

“Matt? Topher? What do you two have to say about this?”

“Nothing, Sir,” Matt said.

“I have no idea, Sir,” Topher answered.

“Closing ranks,” Kutler said, nodding. “That’s admirable, but it has earned all four of you time at the security office. June will set shifts for you. I expect you to carry out town patrols without fail. You miss one and two shifts are added to your schedule.”

Rory wanted to curse his rotten luck, but refrained from making a comment. Any complaint would earn them more time and he didn’t need to bring more trouble to Matt and Topher. This was already bad enough. Town patrol meant their free time was over.

“Rory, Chris,” Kutler said, bringing his attention back.

“Yes, Sir,” Rory said, echoed by Chris whose voice was laced with pain.

“I never want to see you brothers fighting to this extent. Whatever it is that has you both so hotheaded: Work. It. Out!” Kutler ordered, before he waved the pack’s nurse over from their curious audience.

Rory let out a sigh as Matt helped Topher carry Chris into the house, heading into the basement where the pack’s medical equipment was set up. He followed them at a slower pace, feeling like shit over the whole incident.

****

First A/N, yay!
This chapter....hmm...that's all I can say about it. Rory can't catch a break from me.
Thanks for always reading.
Love:
Sui.:wub:
(2018) (Lee Suilan)
  • Like 46
  • Love 19
  • Wow 7
  • Sad 8
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Exciting chapter! Seems like Rory's family will have more trouble accepting Milan than the other way around - Milan's family is already pretty much ok with Rory coming over. 

Chris is definitely an asshole.

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 10/19/2018 at 11:13 AM, Izzy Milak said:

I don't understand it. Why are they so against it, if being mate is destined,as in you can't really choose who your mate is. It should be accepted as written by fate/destiny or whatever.

 Everyone is subject to prejudice. I'm my son's high school, the gay kids tease and pick on the bisexual kids...  as far as the destiny thing, well, that's a pretty good point you are making.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

“Humans murdered my parents and your mom,” Chris said, not waiting for Rory to finish. “Left them for dead in the middle of a road like roadkill. Have you forgotten that?”

 

The dialogue goes on to state that and worse had happened to others who took refuge in Portento from the humans.

 

The bias against humans is rooted in fear and hate and that is a powerful combination.  

 

Accordingly, I can't hate Chris for feeling the way he does and I doubt Rory does either. 

 

If I was a betting person, I'd say it would take a miracle for the town to accept humans or for them to accept Rory mated to one.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Yeah Chris has had nearly a decade without his mom because of a human. To a kid finding something or someone to blame is an important coping mechanism. In a closed community those prejudices may never really get challenged, as few can see a need to confront them.

But as soon as people matching Chris's prejudice come along, it's suddenly time for for Chris to grow and confront his childhood coping mechanisms.

They'll all get over this and be a lot stronger for having stuck together.

Of course, Milan's family are now going to think the worst of Rory for not coming back to visit Milan.

It sure is an uphill struggle for Rory and Milan right now.

 

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

There is a lot of bias in the town against humans.  The conversation between Chris and Rory described a town full of those who had suffered greatly from humans.  That's a lot of hate to overcome.  Rory and Milan's mating with stir up the entire town.  If Kiyo's work at Biosense has any negative impact on the town it will make the situation for these two even worse.  I can understand how Chris feels, but think that his love for Rory will bring him around to acceptance.  I would like to know more about the accident that caused the death of Chris' parents and Rory's mother.  Things are definitely on edge, especially with Lechter's campaign.  One thing that has not been mentioned is if there are nearby packs, and whether they have different rules and beliefs.  I wonder also what happened to the prior mates who got kicked out of town for being human/shifter mates.  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..