Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,644 Words
  • 6,109 Views
  • 18 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Morgan Lore - 14. Chapter 14

Chapter 14

La Famiglia = Absolute Loyalty

“What do you think? Is it good?” Milan asked Rory on their third lunch period.

Marie had made the crostata without much begging. She packed two servings in Milan’s lunchbox. Including a note with a smiley face for Rory for making the request. Now, Milan watched Rory eat his share with the first smile of the day.

“It’s good,” Rory said, when he finished the first slice. “Your Marie is a really great cook.”

“I’ll tell her you said so,” Milan said, leaning his elbows on the table, his gaze searching Rory’s features.

Rory was always in a good mood when they met. Some days, Milan thought he saw those cerulean eyes shine gold, but it was probably a play of light. Either way, he had never seen sadness in Rory’s eyes until today. Not that they had met very many times, Milan frowned. They had only met four times, counting the day before school started. Four times was hardly enough to call himself an expert on Rory Morgan.

Still—

“Is everything okay?” Milan asked.

Milan was glad they were sitting at their own table today. He had thought it best as he didn’t have enough crostata to share with everyone. Rory’s mood seemed down too, so sitting here was perfect.

Rory sipped water from the plastic cup he had gotten at the lunch line, his gaze shifting to the windows and the snow falling outside.

“Did something happen yesterday?” Milan asked, closing his lunchbox and pushing it aside. “I mean, you can tell if you want-want to, but if you—

“I fought with Chris yesterday,” Rory said, not looking at him. He clenched his jaw, clearly not happy. “A really bad fight. We have never fought that way before. I’m not sure what to do.”

Milan took in a deep breath when Rory turned to look at him and he read pain in blue eyes.

“I’m sorry you fought with your brother,” Milan said, reaching out to take Rory’s right hand. His cool fingers delighting in the warmth of Rory’s, especially when Rory placed his other hand over his.

“Is it something you can talk about with me?” Milan asked.

Rory took in a deep breath, then shook his head.

“Family stuff.”

Milan nodded understanding that was private. He couldn’t remember fighting with Ayu, but if he did, he would also hesitate sharing it with a stranger.

“Can I say something?” Milan asked, meeting Rory’s gaze.

“Sure, Milan.”

“You say you’re not sure what to do,” Milan said, squeezing Rory’s hand tight. “I think you already do, you’re just not ready yet. La famiglia, is not something you can walk away from. Il sangue non e acqua, blood is not water.”

Rory smiled.

“Blood is thicker than water, is how we say it.”

“I like my way,” Milan said, happy to see Rory smile again.

Rory chuckled and ate the rest of his crostata at record speed. He washed it down with water and let out a short belch.

“That was really good. What do I do to get it every day?”

“I might need to learn how to make crostata at this rate,” Milan mused. “Marie might tire from making it all the time.”

“I’ll find her the pie recipe and then she’ll have no choice,” Rory said with a wink.

“You should have seen your face that day when she asked if you had it,” Milan laughed. “I thought you were going to choke on your juice.”

“I’ve never baked in my life,” Rory admitted, his gaze on Milan’s fingers. He traced each one, his thumb exploring the lines on Milan’s palm. It felt like Rory was memorizing his hand.

Milan felt each gentle swipe of Rory’s thumb on his palm. He didn’t want it to stop. He wondered what Rory would think if he told him that.

“If I wanted to drop you off at home after school, do you think your Mom would be okay with that?” Rory asked, not looking up from Milan’s palm. “I mean it would save her time from her job. It would also free Ayu from driving here from his classes.”

Milan took in a deep breath.

“I’ll have to ask her,” Milan said.

“You sound skeptical.”

Milan chuckled.

“As I know you’ve noticed, my family is a bit protective. Mamma and Ayu have worked hard to have time to pick me up. I can barely get them to let me drive in the driveway. It’s frustrating and endearing at the same time.”

La famiglia,” Rory said.

Milan smiled and nodded.

Si. We’ll need to convince them that your idea is good.”

Rory sighed, also agreeing with a nod.

“Alright, I’m in for the long haul. I don’t mind working at it.”

Milan was once again amazed by Rory’s ability to heal him of his past. Christina was the only friend he had ever truly made in his life. She ended up being Ayu’s girlfriend, but there were times Milan caught her staring at him with pity in her eyes.

Now, to have Rory who didn’t bat an eyelash at sitting with him at lunch, or working at gaining Ilaria’s trust.

Milan worried about this feeling of being spoiled. He felt wide open, already giving Rory more than he could get back. His heart slammed against his chest at the realization, and he hoped for the first time that this was not wrong.

He couldn’t bear it if he was wrong about Rory. It might destroy him.

****

Rory drove home after Ayu picked up Milan from school. When he got to the pack house, he parked his car and got out only to stop when he saw his father standing at the door, waiting for him.

“Don’t bother coming in,” Connor said, when he started to head over. “Chris, come out here.”

Rory clenched his hands into fists, his gaze on Chris who had recovered from his injuries. They hadn’t talked since their fight. Each of them opting to have dinner separate from the family. Rory had spent most of his night in the attic going through records. This morning when he got downstairs, Chris had already gone to school.

“Follow me,” Connor said, leading the way into the forest.

Chris and Rory followed the Alpha knowing they could not opt out when Connor got that determined look in his eye. Rory kept his gaze on anything but Chris as they both walked side by side following Connor through the forest.

It took a few minutes before Rory realized Connor was leading them to the Sacred Caves.

The Sacred Caves in Portento stood in the thickest part of the forest, about a fifteen minute walk from the pack house. There was a minor lake a click away from the caves, a river flowed from that lake, passing close to the cave entrance, strong and wild, its waters drifting through Portento into smaller outlets, creating a network through the town.

Legend was that the Sacred Caves were the first point of sanctuary for the Morgan Clan. Hundreds of years ago, running from hunters who had near ended all the werewolves in the territory, a Morgan Alpha led a small group of survivors into the complex network of caves in Portento.

Afraid his mate would die giving birth, the Alpha had no choice but to settle the small group of werewolves in the caves. His only option then was to find a way to protect his family from the coming threat. The human hunters were ruthless and relentless. Killing anyone suspected of having wolf’s blood. The Alpha’s family was in dire need of relief from the insane swirl of religious belief and ostracism.

And so, together with his beta and third, the Alpha fortified the entrance into the caves, hoping even though he didn’t survive his family would. The Alpha then got on his knees and prayed to the goddess for sanctuary. A place of their own, a place they would never have to worry for their lives. He prayed for a day and a half, until the sounds of the approaching enemy filled his head, and he was filled with desperation.

The Goddess appeared before the Alpha just as the enemy found them.

The Alpha bowed to her in gratitude that she had listened.

‘I’ve heard your plea, Son of Morgan. If I offer your family sanctuary,’ the Goddess said. You must promise something in return.’

‘Anything you ask, Goddess.’

The three of you, spill blood on this ground,’ the Goddess advised.

With no hesitation, Alpha swiped his sharp blade over his palm, spilling blood at the entrance of the cave. His Beta followed suit, and then the Third. Their blood mixed on the ground, and they all looked up to the goddess for guidance.

The Morgan bloodline shall protect this land, your Beta your guide, your Third your guardian. This land shall be sanctuary. Your families may then live.”

The Alpha thanked the goddess for her kindness as a wave spread out in a harsh force, enveloping thick forest and pushing the enemy to the boundary.

What will the goddess want in return?” the Alpha asked, when all was silent once again.

Your promise to protect all who seek refuge in this sanctuary,” the Goddess said. “You shall know them when you see them. Turning your back on them shall bring misfortune, be careful and see my chosen children.”

From that day on, the Sacred Caves became that ancient Alpha’s home, and as the times changed, the families moved out of the caves and developed the rest of the town.

Rory had heard that story told since birth: by his parents, his extended families, the old grannies who liked to gossip in town and Grandma Asta. The Sacred Caves were now treated as burial grounds, and a spiritual place. Important ceremonies were held here, like naming ceremonies, weddings, coming off-age ceremonies.

“Keep up,” Connor shouted when Rory paused halfway into the cave to stare at old carvings on the wall.

Rory sighed. He should add reprimanding sessions to the list of things that happened in these caves.

As expected, Connor led them straight to the deepest cave, lighted by candles maintained by the welfare team. The burial cave was the most sacred of the many caves found here. The carvings on old wood fitted on different spots on the ground each had precious names of loved ones. Connor led them straight to the Morgan line and stopped before Johanna, Leona and Derrick’s markers.

“Pay your respects to them,” Connor said, his tone harsh, his face hidden in the shadows cast by candle light.

Rory moved to stand next to Chris, and they both got down on their right knees, bowing their heads. Rory’s gaze remained on his mother’s marker. Her name carved on an oak plaque: ‘Johanna, Moon and Mother’.

“You disrespected the family yesterday,” Connor said, leaving them kneeling. “Clearly, you’ve learned nothing I have taught you. Chris, Rory, aren’t you family?”

When none of them answered, Connor growled.

“I expect answers.”

“Yes, we are family,” Chris said, unable to withstand the Alpha’s direct order.

“Rory,” Connor prompted.

“We are family,” Rory said.

“Will you tell me what you were fighting about yesterday?” Connor asked, once again, the order hard to ignore for Chris.

Rory was beginning to build a tolerance to Connor’s orders. He no longer felt compelled to answer.

“Rory has found his mate,” Chris said, with a wince. “He is human.”

“So he is,” Connor agreed, shocking Chris.

“You knew?” Chris looked up at Connor.

“I’m the Alpha, little goes unnoticed,” Connor said, his gaze heavy on Rory.

“We can’t let this happen,” Chris said, kneeling and sitting back on his haunches. “No one is going to accept a human among us. Please—”

“You can’t change your mate, Chris,” Connor said, crouching before Chris, placing his hands on Chris’s shoulders. “I know you wish it so, but it is impossible. The goddess gives you your mate. You cannot walk away.”

Chris stared at Connor, then shook his head.

“You’ve lived without your mate.”

Connor squeezed Chris’s shoulders.

“There is not a day I’ve not wished that I was lying next to Johanna.” Connor stated, and Rory felt his heart dip at the profound grief in Connor’s voice. “Do you know what has kept me going?”

Connor knocked Chris’s head with his a finger when no answer came.

“Knowing I have you two to look out for. Rory, your mother would never forgive me if I left you. And Chris, your mother would not forgive me either. So, I endure each day. I tell you this now because the ache, the longing, the missing does not go away. Johanna was my partner in every sense. I would not wish to see Rory live in such sadness without his mate. Or you, Chris.”

“But—,” Chris started, then stopped, biting his lip hard.

Tears filled his eyes and Rory shifted to look at him, trying to understand why Chris would even suggest this for him.

“Humans killed them,” Chris said, pointing to his parents’ markers, his voice rough with pain. “Took them without second thought, shooting them like wild animals in the forest, and robbing them their belongings. It didn’t even matter they were wolves or not. How can we ignore that kind of cruelty?”

“Chris!” Rory said, shocked that he had never realized Chris hated humans so much. “Milan and his family have been kind each time I met them. You’ve seen Ayu, he’s not mean. I doubt they own a shotgun—”

“That’s not the point,” Chris argued. “Their ugliness could be hiding inside. According to Lechter, humans would have us all in laboratories studying us like guinea pigs. This is our place. Ours to call home. Why must we let them intrude?”

“Then, what will you have me do?” Rory asked, at a loss. “I already love him so much. He is so fragile, and warm. He’s never hurt anyone. Why can’t you think of giving him a chance for me?”

“Rory,” Chris said, looking at him.

“Milan is not like the humans you know, or have read about, or like those stories Lechter describes. Can’t you try and get to know him a little bit before you judge him?”

Rory shook his head, and met his father’s gaze. Connor winked at him as he patted Chris’s shoulder and got up, giving them space.

Rory took it as Connor giving him a chance to win Chris over to his side.

“Chris, my dad and I, we also lost mom that day,” Rory said. “It hasn’t been easy for either of us. Like dad misses her, I miss mom everyday too. I have all these memories of her, and I wish I could have her back, but I can’t. And that hurts more than I can describe.”

Rory sighed and rubbed his eyes.

“Weeks ago, I was unsure about humans, as much as you are now. Then, I saw Milan, and everything changed inside. I can’t describe it, Chris. That moment, when everything shifted, and he became…my world. I can’t do anything now without thinking about him. It’s going to be hard enough telling him I’m a werewolf. Then, it’s going to take everything I have to get everyone else to accept him. I need you, Chris. I need my family to help me through this. Please, I’m begging you now, give him a chance.”

Chris closed his eyes then, his jaw clenching as he knelt on the ground, unmoving. For a minute, tears tracked down his cheeks and then he quickly swiped them away with his right fist.

“I promised my parents I would not ever give humans a second thought,” Chris said, his voice low.

“Doesn’t that mean you’re closing out the world?” Connor asked. “Just because Portento remains sanctuary to all within its borders does not mean we don’t interact with humans outside there, Chris. Look at Kutler, and the company he runs. Topher and Maryanne will soon have to go learning how to run it soon. There are good humans, the same way you know there are bad wolves. You can’t judge everyone for one horrendous action.”

Chris sighed and shook his head.

“Even if I accept Milan,” Chris said, looking up at Connor. “Doesn’t mean everyone else will.”

“You’re right,” Connor agreed. “The important thing here, Chris, is that Rory is your brother. You’re a Morgan. You’re part of the family. When you find your mate, Rory will embrace him or her with an open heart. Rory has found his, what’s the right thing to do?”

Chris dropped his face into his hands with a groan.

“I’m sorry, Rory.”

Rory crawled to Chris’s side and wrapped his right arm around Chris.

“It’s alright. I understand.”

“I know I’ve been a bastard about this.” Chris murmured. “You have to understand….Mom and Dad—”

“I know,” Rory squeezed Chris’s shoulders, never forgetting their shared grief. It wasn’t easy coming back from losing a parent, or both for Chris. The pain did not disappear, it did not end, simply dulled with time. “You don’t have to explain.”

Connor patted both their heads, brushing their hair back, until they both looked up at him.

“I might have a loophole we can exploit,” Connor said, looking at Rory. “You said Milan is ill. Can you discover what he is sick with?”

“Yeah, sure,” Rory nodded. “What loophole?”

“The Morgan Lore,” Connor smiled. “The goddess’s only request in payment for sanctuary. I’ll visit Grandma Asta and see what she can tell me.”

Rory smiled wide, feeling free for the first time in days. Chris chuckled and cuffed his neck, rubbing the top of his head with his fists.

“Look at you beaming,” Chris mused when Connor started to turn away. “I guess I have to get used to this silly grin on you.”

Rory laughed.

They started to get up only to have Connor grab their shoulders and push them down.

“Who said you could get up?” Connor asked, using his Alpha voice. “Stay kneeling for another hour and reflect on your actions. I’ll know if you don’t. Punishment for fighting like wild dogs.”

Rory winced as his knees hit the ground.

“We’re going to miss a patrol shift,” Chris said with a sigh, when Connor left.

“Next time you punch me, I’m running the other direction.”

“As if,” Chris snorted. “Your wolf lives for aggression. Alpha.”

Rory looked at Chris, surprised.

He couldn’t remember a time Chris had called him by his title. They were simply brothers. Had always been. Chris could not challenge Rory for the title as his wolf did not have Alpha traits. However, Rory had never once tried to apply dominance in their relationship.

Until their fight yesterday.

“I’m sorry we fought,” Rory said, apologetic, somewhat sad because it felt as though he had lost something with their fight.

“I’m sorry for acting like a jerk about your mate.”

“You’re not a jerk,” Rory said, shifting his knees on the ground to get comfortable.

“No?”

“Nope, you’re an asshole.”

Chris scoffed.

“That’s very original, Rory.”

“A constipated asshole,” Rory countered.

“Those are going to get colorful, aren’t they?” Chris asked, getting comfortable too.

“Yep, you’re an idiotic, constipated asshole,” Rory continued.

“I’ll be sure to tell Milan how childish you can be,” Chris said, folding his arms against his chest.

“He won’t judge me. Annoying, jerk, asshole,” Rory continued.

“That one doesn’t flow,” Chris said, his tone encouraging.

****

Rory’s knees ached by the time one of the smaller wolves working in the pack kitchen came to get them. His name was Jet, and he was an omega. Chris accepted the bottle of water Jet gave him, chugging its contents without pause. Rory drank his slower, following Jet and Chris out of the caves.

“What’s for dinner, Jet?” Rory asked, when his stomach growled as they stepped out of the caves into the fading light.

“June called Linda for groceries so some of the ladies from welfare are busy making chicken fajitas and meatloaf for dinner. It’s a complete cookout in there,” Jet said. “Alpha, I heard you’ll be running shifts with security later. Will you have time to train with some of us after?”

“Yeah, sure,” Rory agreed, stretching his arms above his head.

A workout would leave him refreshed after the last two days. A foreign scent drifted into his nostrils, and he stilled, grabbing Jet’s shoulder, to stop him.

Chris, noting his stance, shifted, placing Jet between them as they both scanned the area.

I smell a lone wolf,’ Rory said, using his private link with Chris, not wanting to alarm Jet. Can you get Jet to the pack house?’

I’m not leaving you,’ Chris refused, directing his next words to the common link. Jet, there is an intruder. Run straight to the pack house. Don’t stop until you find June. Ok?”

“Yes.”

Rory removed his t-shirt, and changed into his wolf, racing into the woods just as Jet started running to the pack house.

The lone wolf had black fur, perfect for surveillance in the dark. His scent left Rory feeling sick, it was too sweet, almost like decay. Rory kept up with the lone wolf easy enough, aware that the black wolf was tracking Jet, trying to catch up to him as he seemed weaker.

Rory moved parallel to the black wolf, placing himself between Jet and the lone wolf.

Chris coming up behind. For a minute, they stayed in a full sprint, then the lone wolf veered right in an abrupt move, changing direction from the pack house. Jet entered the open lawn, giving Rory and Chris the freedom to chase after the black wolf without worry.

****

I'm finding myself exploring so many aspects of family in this story. It's kind of frying my brain. So, my question this time would be, 'Do you have absolute loyalty to your family?' Is it a concept to you? No matter what happens between your family members?'
Lots of love,
Mind-baked Sui.
P.S. - crostata is my new fave dessert! hehehe
(2018) (Lee Suilan)
  • Like 49
  • Love 32
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

“I might have a loophole we can exploit,” Connor said, looking at Rory. “You said Milan is ill. Can you discover what he is sick with?”

“Yeah, sure,” Rory nodded. “What loophole?”

“The Morgan Lore,” Connor smiled. “The goddess’s only request in payment for sanctuary. 

In short, Rory's mate Milan, as one of the goddesses chosen children must be granted sanctuary in the town or a great misfortune will befall them.

**************************************

The Alpha thanked the goddess for her kindness as a wave spread out in a harsh force, enveloping thick forest and pushing the enemy to the boundary.

What will the goddess want in return?” the Alpha asked, when all was silent once again.

Your promise to protect all who seek refuge in this sanctuary,” the Goddess said. “You shall know them when you see them. Turning your back on them shall bring misfortune, be careful and see my chosen children.”

From that day on, the Sacred Caves became that ancient Alpha’s home, and as the times changed, the families moved out of the caves and developed the rest of the town.

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I have read wolf stories on GA before and this one is very similar in a lot of ways, what with the humans hunting werewolves and viciously killing them. I am sure that there was a couple in that story called Leona and Derick as well 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Bft said:

I have read wolf stories on GA before and this one is very similar in a lot of ways, what with the humans hunting werewolves and viciously killing them. I am sure that there was a couple in that story called Leona and Derick as well 

Same wavelength I guess...:P it wasn't intentional. Thank you so much for reading!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Connor was smart enough to realize that the problem Chris and Rory had was very serious and called on their deep seated loyalty to family.  The trip to the sacred cave was beautifully describe.  From what was said, the problems caused by humans was very deep.  However, it is very clear that Connor still loves his wife and learned from her some lessons of acceptance.  He applied those to Chris to help him see that Rory is facing a life without love if Rory has to give up Milan.  Both boys are chastened and will be stronger.  The lone wolf is a question.  Is the wolf dangerous or in search of safety.  Another well written chapter.  @lilansui, you have great skill at writing dialogue that is realistic and true to your characters.  Great chapter.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wonderful question @lilansui, I had 8 siblings but I only have 2 sisters and a brother.  The others are toxic and money is all they want.  Only this year with the death of a sister with Alcoholic Dementia did we discover a changed will, double crossing over property sale (trust deed changed) , and refusal to honour debts. With both  parents dead, the ties have weakened to thin strands of cotton...

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..