Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 2,242 Words
  • 98,651 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Morgan Lore - 5. Chapter 5

The Boy full of Mandarin Oranges

The Takeda home stood in seclusion, surrounded by tall evergreen trees on the edge of the North Forest. It looked as though the Takeda family had enough clout with Biosense to have their own home, and a huge one at that.

“Nice place,” Topher said, his gaze on the three-story house. “How many living here?”

“There is a lady in the kitchen, two on the third floor,” Matt replied.

“Plus the doctor and her husband,” Topher counted. “Five souls.”

“Five human souls,” Rory said. “Dad thinks the husband works for Biosense actual.”

“He is moving his family with him. It’s smart but also hard on the family. The moves force them to rely on themselves. They won’t trust outsiders,” Topher said.

“You can’t help being a shrink,” Matt scoffed. “All those psychology books you read, it’s getting weird, Topher.”

“You’re just jealous.” Topher winked at Matt.

Topher pushed back a branch intent on getting closer to the property. He stopped when the side door on the house opened. They all moved to take cover as a tall man walked out of the house.

Rory took a step closer careful to stay in the tree cover. The man carried what seemed a bundle on his back. Rory’s heart sped up, racing so fast, he brought his hand to his chest in surprise. The man shifted the bundle he carried as he walked, and the blanket around him slipped to reveal a younger version of the tall man.

The scent of mandarin oranges drifted to Rory in one swift flood. Rory’s eyes brightened, his canine teeth elongating, sharp and deadly.

His gaze focused on the boy now sitting on a bench in the gazebo. Body wrapped from head to toe, leaving only his eyes uncovered. His voice drifted to Rory like beautiful music. Sparks shot through his veins as he realized he was looking at his mate. The urge to run out and claim him took over, and he started moving forward only to have Topher and Matt each grab his arms.

He pushed them off, power surging through him, his mate the only important thing. All he could see was the boy, so handsome, so untouched and his. His to claim, his to have. Topher and Matt tightened their grips on his arms, and he fought them, fighting them for the right to claim his mate. They struggled. Wild fire coursed his veins, his skin rolling, rough fur rising, his fingers curled, his nails sharpening—

“Fuck, Rory, calm the fuck down!” Matt hissed. “They are human. Humans!”

Rory heard Matt from a distance, his wolf rising, his senses focused on the boy in the gazebo. The boy laughed, watching the tall man dance, fury filled Rory. He couldn’t stand the idea of the boy smiling at someone else. Looking so pleased…rage swept through him, and he shifted into his wolf.

Topher and Matt followed suit and jumped on him, working to pin him down.

Rory, they are human.” Matt begged. “They won’t understand. Don’t rush out. It will only frighten him.”

He is too strong,” Topher complained, when Rory shook him off, snarling, baring his fangs, ready to rip them apart if they got in his way. “We need help. I’m linking to the Alpha.”

Matt jumped in front of Rory, blocking his way.

Rory! Smell their blood.”

Rory took in a deep breath, the scent of mandarin oranges filling his nostrils, setting off a fresh wave of longing inside him. His mate sat a few feet away from him. Relief flooded him. His soulmate. He would never have to walk through life alone again. Nothing else mattered. He needed to get to him—

Rory, stop and focus.”

It was impossible to ignore the alpha’s voice in his head. The order left him standing in the small clearing, staring at his mate, unable to take another step.

“They are human.”

Rory gave a small whimper at the realization. He couldn’t just run out and hold his mate.

“Come home.” Connor ordered.

No.” Rory shook his head, still in wolf form. “I want to stay. I need to—“

Come home, Rory.”

“I’m sorry, Dad. No!”

Rory shut out his father, and stood staring at the gazebo, aware that both Matt and Topher were watching him in surprise.

You just locked out the Alpha,” Matt said, shocked, and a little awed.

Topher moved into Rory’s line of vision.

Are you under control now?”

Rory gave a single nod, his gaze shifting back to the two at the gazebo.

His name is Milan.” Topher offered. “You were too busy going nuts over him, I doubt you heard them talking. The tall one is his big brother, Ayu. They look like they have an Asian parent in the mix.”

Matt came to stand on Rory’s left side. His skill was tracking. He could smell danger in a ten-mile radius.

Something is wrong with Milan. He smells of medicine. I think he is ill, that’s why he is bundled up like that,” Matt said. “His chest I think, could be pneumonia.”

As though to answer his question, Milan suddenly let out a fierce cough, so rough it seemed to shake his body. His brother had gone into the house, and Milan was alone. Milan looked in pain as he coughed, shaking so hard, Rory couldn’t help racing out of cover and into the open, just to—

He stopped when Milan got to his feet in panic. Milan looked scared. His eyes wide in shock as he stared at Rory. Rory stood frozen, wanting to offer comfort but not knowing how. Milan took a step back, and Rory took one forward.

He is scared of you.” Matt soothed. “Don’t move.”

Rory sighed and just watched Milan instead. Now that the mask was off, Milan’s face was clear to him. Big brown eyes, his skin too pale, red lips that reminded him of strawberries. His chin lifted in defiance, despite his fear, Milan was no coward. Rory wished Milan would take off the hat so that he could see his hair. The side door opened and Rory unwillingly stepped back into tree cover.

He was satisfied when Ayu came rushing to Milan, scolding him for losing his blanket and standing in the cold air. Rory took his first deep breath when Ayu settled Milan with a cup of hot chocolate, and the blanket back in place. Then, Doctor Ilaria arrived and she too spent a few minutes scolding them both. Rory smiled and returned to Matt and Topher.

Rory shifted back to his human form, not caring that he was naked. Topher and Matt did the same. Rory rolled his shoulders waiting for their outbursts.

“You’ve lost your mind. Why the hell did you go out like that?” Topher demanded, his gaze on the two dancing in the gazebo, while Milan watched.

“He’s sick, and his brother left him out here alone. Shit, look at him. Why is he so sick? What is wrong with him? I need to know. The best way is to walk over and ask.”

Matt slammed his palms on Rory’s chest, pushing him back when he started to walk toward the Takeda compound.

"No."

“This is not the way we do things, Rory," Topher pointed out.

“Get out of my way,” Rory demanded, cursing under his breath when both Topher and Matt refused to move.

Meeting their gazes, he read cold hard determination. They were not going to let him pass without a fight. Rory was aggressive, fought dirty, and always left them marked up, and injured. Knowing that, they still wanted to fight him.

“Rory.”

Matt tried to reason.

“Push your wolf back, and clear your head,” Matt said. “Those are three humans out there, in their home, enjoying time outside. They feel safe, and you showing up out of nowhere to demand why the youngest is sick will ruin that feeling from them. Is that what you want?”

“Ilaria knows me."

“Yes, in passing,” Topher said, holding up his hands when Rory growled in frustration. “She seems protective of her kids. Do you want her to see you like this? She’s the young one’s mother. You want to win her over, and not freak her out.”

Rory breathed out, and took steps away from Topher and Matt. A steady breeze floated toward them, bringing with it the heavy scent of mandarin oranges from Milan at the gazebo. He took in several breaths, filling his brain with Milan’s sweet scent. So delicious, it drove him insane wanting more. The scent brought him down to his knees, hands digging into the forest floor. His hands shifting, his nails elongating into sharp deadly weapons, they dug deep into the ground. He grabbed a fistful of snow and dirt and let out a low frustrated growl.

“Despite the insane cough, Milan seems happy,” Topher said, his tone low, soothing. “Ilaria called him cucciolo, a nickname. It means…little…dog…no, little puppy. Forgive me, Italian class was a while back. Ayu and Ilaria seem protective of him. Really exotic names for a strange family.”

The sound of Milan’s voice drifted to them, and Rory stilled. He closed his eyes, fighting back the urge to race out and possess him. He concentrated on the sound of Milan’s voice as he talked to his mother and brother.

“All the dancing has made me hungry,” Ilaria said.

“Marie made vegetable potpie,” Ayu said. “Your favorite, Milan.”

“Super,” Milan said, though he didn’t sound as excited as he should be. “What’s for dessert?”

“Banana pudding,” Ayu provided.

“That sounds promising,” Milan said, this time the tone of his voice laced with a pleased tone. “Mamma, I was thinking, if I get better before school starts. Can I get a car?”

“You don’t have a driver’s license,” Ilaria started to protest.

“But Ayu gets to use his international license, why can’t I? Why did I even get it?”

“At home in Turin, you could use it because everyone knew you. No one cared if you were too young to drive. While you're the right age here, I’m not sure you can drive yet, cucciolo. What if it snows?. You need time to get used to it,” Ilaria argued. “Besides, we don’t mind dropping you off.”

“But—”

“I’ll let you drive my car when I pick you up, so you can practice,” Ayu said.

“Ayu Takeda, you will do no such thing. As for you Milan, school starts next week. Why don’t we table the driving issue until springtime? Hmm…spare your Mamma a few black hairs. If they all turn to grey too early, your Papa might run from me.”

“I’ll help you dye them so he won’t know,” Milan said with a short chuckle.

“Cheeky,” Ilaria said. “Come on, let’s go inside. That’s enough fresh air for you, Milan. We don’t want you returning to your bed.”

“Want a ride back?” Ayu asked, the question was innocent enough.

Rory growled, wanting to be the one carrying Milan. Wanting to be the one to touch him.

Topher and Matt moved closer, ready to stop him.

“It’s okay, I should walk,” Milan said, and Rory got to his feet, moving to peer through the thick trees.

Rory gritted his teeth watching Milan walk between Ayu and Ilaria, the heavy blanket around his shoulders. He was short and too skinny for his age. He was the height of his mother, a foot shorter than Ayu, which made Milan almost two feet short to Rory’s six foot four. Ilaria had her hand over Milan’s shoulders, to keep the blanket over him. Ayu carried the space heater that had stood in the gazebo. Once again, Rory wondered why Milan was sick. He had almost lost his mind listening to Milan cough.

“We need to approach this from a different angle,” Matt said from his left, as the trio disappeared into the large three-story house.

Rory found himself wondering which room belonged to Milan.

“They are family now,” Topher said, on his right. “No matter the situation, we need to protect them.”

Rory closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead.

“We still don’t know how they entered the town,” Rory murmured.

“Think of it as The Morrighan bringing you yours, Rory. The pack will understand.”

Rory kept his gaze on the Takeda house.

“You are too optimistic. The thing with Chris and Ilaria earlier,” Rory shook his head. “It didn’t make sense.”

“Well, it doesn’t seem as though there is anything wrong with Ilaria,” Topher shrugged. “We can set up a watch on the house, and go from there.”

“Ilaria was on point about school starting next week,” Matt said, touching Rory’s left shoulder. “A legitimate opening for you, we just need to talk to Principal Rick.”

Rory nodded, his fingers curling into tight fists, his nails digging into skin. The short pain enough to pull him back from the urge to run into the Takeda house.

“You guys head back,” Rory said. “I’m not ready to leave him.”

“Fat chance,” Matt patted his shoulder. “If we work together, we’ll discover which room Milan uses faster.”

Rory smiled when Matt shifted into his grey wolf, and trotted off using the snow as cover.

“I’m lucky to have you guys,” Rory said, turning to Topher.

“Don’t forget it, Alpha in-waiting,” Topher said, shifting into his brown wolf and running after Matt.

***

(2018) (Lee Suilan)
  • Like 51
  • Love 37
  • Wow 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So now the story comes to life. You could really feel the raw passion in Rory's desire to be with his mate.

Topher and Matt did well to keep the future Alpha in check on this occasion. 

Its good to see that despite his frailty Milan was spirited enough to raise his chin up towards his threat and not be cowed into submission.

Can't wait to see these two meet up in person. Whatever will Milan make of Rory?

Edited by Bard Simpson
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Topher and Matt are not only good friends to Rory, but intelligent and skilled wolves.  They remained calm and knew how to handle the emergency created when Rory smelled the scent of his mate.  They almost immediately knew what was happening to Rory.  Topher got it right when he said, 

Quote

“They are family now,” Topher said, on his right. “No matter the situation, we need to protect them.”

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..