Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 5,504 Words
  • 6,802 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Morgan Lore - 32. Chapter 32

Sanctuary Returns

The children,’ Rory prompted sanctuary as he waited for Johan and Elle outside the town hall. How many were they?

‘Five souls,’ Sanctuary answered. Too young, their families searched, but their bodies are buried in the deepest part of the swamp.’

Why did none of the warriors take Rick down?’ Rory wondered.

He is sly, and patient. He struck when they least expected it. He left no trace of himself.’

Rory sighed, and started a slow pace along the step the steps.

This is a mess. I don’t even know where to start.’

Your father will know. Let him finish this for you,’ Sanctuary mused. You might be Alpha, but he is still more experienced.’

Rory nodded, and felt relief when he saw Johan and Elle walking up the steps. Behind them five of the warriors from the Swamp Lands, and ten men and women ranging in age followed them. When they reached him, Elle smiled in greeting while Johan held out a hand his right hand to Rory.

Rory grasped it at the elbow, in the old way, a warrior’s greeting.

“We’re ready for the gathering, Alpha Rory.” Johan nodded to his people behind him. “If our requests are met, then we shall vow allegiance to you, as Alpha, and join the fold.”

“Then let’s get it over with,” Rory said, leading the way into the town hall.

“How is your mate?” Johan asked. “Is he adjusting to his new life?”

Rory couldn’t help his smile at the thought of Milan.

“Quite well,” Rory said. “He’s moved into the pack house. We’re taking it day by day.”

“His wolf has great potential,” Elle said. “The pain you both endured is not easily borne. Born of a trial by fire, he is much stronger than you could imagine.”

“I suppose it’s an adventure we’ll have to see through,” Rory said.

Rory opened the double doors of the town hall, and wasn’t surprised when all eyes in the room turned to look at them. Around three hundred people had made it to the meeting. The high table ahead was set up for the council. There were eight now, without Rick.

Chairs in the first few rows of the right column were left vacant for the guests from the Swamp Lands. Rory noted Milan sat at the front of this row with Rowen and Maryanne on each side.

Connor was already leading a discussion on Rick’s crimes. Rick was chained to the ground on a single chair in front of the high table. His mouth taped with a black seal made with Sage’s magic. There was a blue ring of power circling Rick’s chair too, it kept him contained.

Rory led his group to the empty chairs, urging them to sit. He thanked Rowen who got up and moved down a chair, allowing him to sit next to Milan.

“Why do we need to discuss this farther?” Hunter asked, the shifter glaring at Rick. “Either send him to the dungeons, or end his sorry life. There can be no pardon for the murders he is already guilty of. Delaying his sentence is an insult to the victims and their families.”

“No one wants to pardon him,” Iris pointed out. Her gaze shifted to the rest of the town. “The people suggesting the dungeons are playing a dangerous game. Keeping him in the dungeons gives him time to plan. Time to cause trouble again, we really cannot allow that. As far as I’m concerned, Rick’s fate is sealed. So, why don’t we discuss the real reason why this town meeting was called?”

“What can be more important than the murder of the Pack’s Moon by one of the Council?” a burly man in the crowd demanded. “Rick lied, and brought false evidence. He could be working with humans outside the borders for all we know. That’s important.”

More added to that comment, insisting that Rick’s life should end by the Alpha’s hand. Others insisted on the dungeons, so that he may repent his wrong doings. Chris was particularly vocal about Rick meeting his end.

“I demand justice for my parents and aunt,” Chris said, standing. He was at the front of the left row, his hands in fists when he looked at Rick. “There is no need to delay this. Please!”

Connor slammed his right hand on the high table, forcing the room into silence.

“The council acknowledges all your concerns,” Connor said. “Rick’s crimes are unpardonable. I don’t disagree. However, I have been waiting for our guests to arrive and now that they have, I would like to introduce them to you, Johan and Elle McRieve.”

Johan and Elle stood. Elle looked beautiful in her red wool dress, and Johan every part the warrior in his leather trousers and a soft white shirt. Their faces enough to let anyone know they fought hard for all they had.

Johan wasn’t much of a talker, so Elle spoke for both of them.

“We’re here at Alpha Rory’s request. Our settlement has long lived in the wild swamps of this town. Please forgive any disrespect we may cause during this gathering.”

“What settlement?” Lisbeth Jones, the town’s mayor, asked. her eyes narrowed as she looked at Elle and Johan. “I don’t recognize you.”

“You wouldn’t,” Connor said, lifting his hand to stop Elle from responding. “They have not mingled with us for years. The Swamp Lands are their home; it’s the deepest part of Portento.”

Murmurs filled the room, and Rory reached for Milan’s hand, squeezing tight. Milan responded by covering their clasped hands with his free one. He rubbed Rory’s knuckles, as though giving him strength. Rory glanced at Milan sensing a restless in Milan.

“How can that be possible?” Linda asked, her eyes wide.

Connor had kept the existence of Elle and Johan close knit, only telling Kutler and Lechter.

“It is possible,” Elle said. “Very possible when your way of life is threatened and all you want is to seek sanctuary.”

“Portento is already sanctuary,” Lisbeth pointed out. “What could possibly threaten your lives within our borders?”

“Love,” Elle said, her words hard, where there should have been softness. “I am an ancestor of a child born from the mating of a human and a wolf. For decades now, we have harbored all such pairings in the Swamp Lands. A real fear grows that the council will kick us out of Portento should they discover such pairings. We are here now to see if our stories can be heard and cherished in the same way yours are.”

“How many live in the Swamp Lands?” Lisbeth asked.

“A few hundred or so,” Elle said, gripping Johan’s hand when the council members started to protest.

“The last wolf/human pairing happened decades ago,” Linda said, shaking her head. “They left town.”

“No, they did not,” Rory said, getting up, his gaze narrowed on Lechter, needing to have this out with him. “After the council voted, the pair found sanctuary in the Swamp Lands. Elle’s parents saved them. Every pairing that attempted to settle among us, and was rejected, ended up in the Swamp Lands. The Council has failed Sanctuary.”

Lechter stood then, anger in his eyes.

“That’s a serious charge coming from a Morgan.”

“It must be spoken,” Rory said, glad that Milan kept holding his hand. “I feared you would do the same to me and my mate.”

“You’re different,” Lechter said, shaking his head. “You’re—"

“What?” Rory asked. “The Alpha? So? You have disliked humans for ages. You’ve pushed for them to get kicked out. You campaigned for Milan’s family to get kicked out. I saw it happen. You even had Chris convinced, my own blood.”

“That’s before I knew who he was to you,” Lechter admitted. “I—"

“You would not have changed your mind,” Rory cut in, quite sure when he met Lechter’s gaze.

It was easy to see, to almost feel, the anger that had grown inside Lechter. His love, his mate, murdered by humans, in turn, he decided no human would touch the place she called home. The place she loved him and their son, Matt. Rory shifted his gaze to Matt who stood guarding the man who might have killed his mother.

I’m sorry I must do this, Matt. I told you I would.’

Get it over with,’ Matt replied.

Rory nodded and returned his attention to Lechter.

“Your opinion matters in the council, in this town. Your blind hatred forced all these people to live in seclusion in the Swamp Lands. My mate and I would have joined their settlement had Rick not escalated his plans.”

“That’s absurd,” Lechter said.

Milan stood then, making them a pair.

“It’s not actually. My mate was human. Everyone in this room knows that,” Rory said then, making the town behind him gasp in surprise. “He had his change days ago. You were there. If it weren’t for Elle and Johan, I might not have known how to go about it. So, I might thank you too for pushing me to discover the past.”

“Rory,” Lechter murmured.

Rory shook his head and Lechter fell silent, his gaze on Milan, then Elle and Johan.

After a minute of silence, Lechter sat down and Connor took over the meeting again.

“Elle,” Connor said. “I want to thank your people for helping my son and his mate through his change. I also want to extend an invitation to you to join the Council.”

“Only if you allow our people to punish the man you call Rick,” Elle insisted.

“Why?”

“He has taken five of our young ones,” Elle said, pain in her voice. “Sunk them in the swamp and left us to cry tears of blood. He created fear for all of us. We could not cross the swamp into your lands to seek help. Every time we tried, he sunk another.”

What is she talking about?’ Milan asked, turning to Rory as they sat.

I’ll show him,’ Sanctuary murmured, surprising Rory. She was swift about it too, giving Milan the same images Rory had gotten when he fought Rick. The reaction was immediate. Tears filled Milan’s eyes and he bent over, making Rory pull him into his arms.

“I am well aware of this crime,” Connor said, looking at Rory and Milan, worried. Rory ignored Connor's concerned look and focused on Milan.

Milan clutched Rory’s t-shirt, eyes closed.

You didn’t have to give him everything,’ Rory chastised Sanctuary, pulling Milan into his arms. ‘He’s freaking—

I know what I’m doing. You’re the one who doesn’t know your role here. Feel it, Alpha,’ Sanctuary cut him off. What he does for the town is different than you. You’re strength, he’s the compassion, you need him to end this meeting in peace.’

‘We couldn’t have done this earlier?’ Rory complained, aware that Milan’s freak out was not going unnoticed. He remembered the disgust that filled him when he knew what Rick had done. Why would you give him this memory?

Rory closed his eyes, and reached in for Milan, as Johan decided to speak up, when Elle couldn’t anymore.

“Calling it a crime is an understatement. Rick has caused unimaginable pain,” Johan said, his voice gruff. “One of those children was our daughter. She was only six years old. She was playing on the edge of the swamp when she disappeared. We found her a week later at the bottom of the swamp. We didn’t know what he was, only that if no one made an attempt to cross the swamp, that year we would be free of the pain of losing a child.”

“His punishment falls to us,” Elle insisted, deep anger brewing when she looked at Rick. “Give us that, and we’ll do whatever else you need, even if it means we leave.”

Milan.’ Rory bit back a moan as Elle’s pain filled them both, affecting Milan more than it did Rory.

Rory was harder, built to withstand brute force, and the ugliest of matters. Milan, his Milan, Rory wanted to fold him into his arms and protect him from everything. But, Milan was not having it. Milan clutched Rory’s shirt tight, then slowly sat up, his eyes closed.

Yes, you can take it,’ Sanctuary said to Milan, pride in her voice. Diffuse it.”

‘How?’ Milan asked, feeling like he might never feel happy again in his life.

He clung to Rory, holding his hand tight. Without Rory, he might have drowned with the weight of it.

Her pain is deep,’ Milan examining it for a moment, ‘but, it’s not as raw as it was with us.’

“Will you leave him alive?” Chris asked.

“No.” Johan growled out, his hands in fists, his anger fueling Elle’s pain. The memory of their daughter filled them both and it was all they could think about now.

“I have no objection then,” Chris said, as though sensing their pain.

Rory gave a silent gasp, as Milan seemed to draw Elle and Johan’s pain into himself, pulling it away even from Rory. Then he flooded their bond with hope. Hope for a happier future, because he couldn’t erase the memory of their daughter, neither could Sanctuary. Milan knew about hope. Was filled with it, and now that he had escaped his own pain, he was full of possibilities. Sanctuary took that hope and directed it to Elle and Johan, pushing it into the thread of pain.

Rory opened his eyes and looked to Elle and Johan.

Johan’s fists eased, and Elle took in a deep breath, as though a weight lifted off her shoulders.

You did well,’ Sanctuary praised Milan when he let out a soft sigh. It will get easier with time.’

Don’t show him anymore horrible memories,’ Rory warned her. As tension left Milan and he relaxed, the pain disappeared.

Sanctuary held her silence, though she was still present in the backdrop. Rory now understood how Connor might have been crippled without his mate.

Milan was his second half. The most important part of this town, Rory decided, looking at Milan with a new light. Nothing could happen to him.

Connor stood up and walked around the high table to face Elle and Johan.

“Then, the matter of Rick is left to you,” Connor said. “Please note that we too have scars. I hope you choose his punishment well.”

“We shall. Before we continue, I would like to bring in a gift of our goodwill,” Elle said, her voice soft, shy where she had not been before. “Do you accept it?”

“Yes, of course we do,” Connor nodded.

Elle looked toward the closed doors of the hall. A minute later, the door opened and in walked a woman with long brown hair, a red scarf around her neck, and a slight limp as she walked. She looked familiar. Rory almost couldn’t place her until he heard the soft cry from Matt.

Matt abandoned his post by Rick and ran to meet her before she reached the front. Pulling her into a tight hug and lifting her clear of the ground, vibrating with emotion.

Rory looked to Lechter who stood frozen at the high table. There were no words to describe the clear shock on his face.

“Rosemary Lechter has been under our care for eight years. Her recovery has been slow; she was near death when we found her, sunk deep in the swamp. We thought her dead. We gave her a home, and she has lived among us, teaching the children how to read. We called her Sena as she could not remember her name for a long time,” Elle explained. “It wasn’t until Iris came to visit when Milan had his change that Sena regained her memories. She refused to return until we had this meeting.”

“But her mate’s bond?” Connor asked, looking to Lechter, who still looked shocked.

“Sena almost died,” Elle said. “All her bonds near severed by the pain and the brutal nature of her attack. This matter cannot be explained by one as young as me. You must find Grandma Asta for that.”

Lechter came around the high table and fell to his knees before Elle.

“Thank you! I am in your debt,” Lechter said to Elle.

“Please, get up,” Elle reached for Lechter and pulled him up. “You owe us nothing.”

“Nevertheless, I shall try to repay the kindness you have shown my family,” Lechter said, tears in his eyes.

Elle patted his shoulder, and stepped aside to allow him to walk to Rosemary and Matt. Lechter wrapped them both in his arms, a harsh sob escaping him.

Rory felt happy for Matt, but envied him too. He would do anything to see his mother again. To have Johanna meet Milan and hug him as she used to, full of sunshine and laughter. Looking across the aisle, he met Chris’s gaze and read the same longing there.

‘She’d be proud of you,’ Chris told him with a nod. Your mate is handsome.’

Rory smiled and squeezed Milan’s hand.

I can’t wait for you to find yours, Bro.

Chris stared at him for a minute, then grinned.

Elle stepped up to the high table, looking directly at Iris.

“The souls living in the Swamp Lands seek justice for the lives lost. Daughter of the earth,” Elle said, begging Iris. “Please send the man named Rick to the underworld with the vines of Hel.”

“Elle McRieve,” Iris said. “Your request is heard, but I cannot give you your answer without the consent of two others. You must seek their aid.”

“Who must I talk to?” Elle asked.

Iris smiled at her then directed her gaze to Rory and Milan.

“Your true Alpha and his mate, Milan,” Iris said.

Elle wasn’t the only one who looked at them. The entire room turned their attention to Milan and Rory. Milan groaned at the attention.

This is kinda high profile, Rory.’

You’re high profile, baby.’ Rory teased.

Iris is so having fun with this. How are we involved in a sentencing? Rick sounds like scum to me. She should just give Elle what she asks for.’

We can’t avoid it, baby,’ Rory told Milan. We’re going to need to stand up and go to Elle. Can you do it?’

Rory felt anxiety race through Milan and panic rising. For a minute, Rory thought Milan might not manage it but then Milan got up first. His courage racing wild, it was sexy. Rory followed him and listened to Milan take in a steadying breath.

Rory took Milan’s hand and led him to Elle, stopping right behind her. He took Milan’s hand and placed it on Elle’s left shoulder, while he touched her right.

“Daughter of the earth, we second Elle McRieve’s request,” Rory said, answering on behalf of Milan, as well.

“Little Alpha,” Iris said, getting up from her seat. She came around to where Milan stood her gaze full of affection. “I felt your compassion flooding the room. You might not know it, but you’ll be a wonderful influence on all of us. I grant your request. Rick’s ill fate shall not continue. I’m sorry your families have suffered him.”

Rory let go of Elle and pulled Milan to his side. Iris approached Rick. The chains Sage used to hold him disappeared and the seal on Rick’s mouth tore open. Rick let out a relieved gasp and shouted, pointing a finger at Rosemary.

“You bitch, I killed you. I finished you!”

“You tried,” Rosemary’s voice came in a whisper, the damage to her throat clear as she pulled off her scarf. There were deep gouges on her neck. Matt looked away from her when he saw them, grief tensing his shoulders. Rick had taken her voice.

“You didn’t succeed. I saw you kill my friends, and when I tried to save them, you stuck me with wolf’s bane and dragged me to the murky swamp waters. You did your best to kill me, but Sanctuary saved me.”

Rick stared at her with hatred.

“Still, I took years from you and Hillam, at least. He turned into a raging beast without you. There was satisfaction in watching his pain. I’ll take that much.”

“Iris,” Connor urged as the town hall erupted into angry shouts at Rick’s words.

Milan clung to Rory’s arm when dark green vines broke through the floor, quickly winding around Rick from his legs, up his thighs, then his torso to head. Thick and round they wrapped tight, tighter, then Iris murmured words and the vines dragged Rick down into the floor.

In seconds, Principal Rick disappeared, and the floor restored to normal, as though he never existed.

The room went silent, as though everyone was afraid to break the spell. The only thing moving was Iris as she waved a hand over the space Rick had sat. Milan imagined she was warding off bad spirits.

Iris is frightening,’ Milan noted.

Not many people can handle her presence,’ Rory said, agreeing. She’s too powerful.’

Should we sit?’ Milan asked.

It’s not over yet,’ Rory said, nodding to his father who now stood facing the town.

“These last few weeks have opened my eyes to many issues,” Connor said. “Troubles under the surface of the town: murder, human prejudice, and corruption. I feel ashamed to have not known these things were happening in Portento. Too many have suffered under Rick’s greed. Others because of my own blindness, I can’t believe an entire settlement of souls went unnoticed. On behalf of myself, the Beta and the Third, I apologize to all of you who call Portento home.”

Connor bowed his head, and Kutler and Lechter both lowered their heads to the town’s people. When Connor straightened up, he continued.

“I would like to propose new changes in the town’s council and a new look at our policies on humans. I want you all to vote on the acceptance of the souls living in the Swamp Lands. We all understand what a mate means to our people. No one should face judgement because of the goddess’s choice. However, everyone in this town needs to be on the same page on this.”

Silence filled the town hall at that remark.

Rory felt Sanctuary talking to Milan, though he didn’t hear their conversation. Peace flooded him soon through their bond and Rory guessed Sanctuary was having Milan fill the room with more…hope.

Rory hid his smile when Mildred Cohagen stood up in middle of the right row.

“I would like to say something,” Mildred said, sounding nervous but determined.

Her husband sat beside her holding their baby and their daughters sat beside their father.

“Sure, Mildred, go ahead,” Connor said.

“Well, we’ve all sat here and listened to a list of crimes committed by a man we thought we knew. All of which were designed to break Portento apart. It’s now too clear that Rick was a selfish and evil man. I don’t think it is fair to vote on the future of people who are deserving of living in this town. None of us needed a vote to live here.”

“Why not vote when there might be humans among these Swamp Lands people,” a man in the left row said, standing up. “How can we be sure they are good people?”

“Rick was a wolf, one of us. Look at what he did.” Mildred pointed out. “Those in the Swamp Lands have provided nothing but kindness to the Third’s mate and Alpha Rory’s mate. They did this despite their losses at Rick’s hands. They are blessings to the town. I think we shouldn’t vote on this. We should offer full acceptance. Anyone else agree?”

For a moment, no one spoke, and Rory feared this would turn into a political battle. Then Mildred’s husband stood, followed by their twins. Jack stood, sparking the rise of all his friends. The three hundred or so people in the town hall all stood one by one, until there was no one sitting. Even the man who had shown doubt now stood, albeit still wary of the idea.

Mildred came out on to the aisle. She walked to the front and hugged Elle.

“My name is Mildred Cohagen,” she said. “If you ever need help, all you need do is ask.”

Elle’s eyes filled with tears as she returned Mildred’s hug.

“I am Elle McRieve. I thank you for your acceptance.”

More people came up to greet Elle. Soon Mildred led Elle back to her seat. More introduced themselves to the others from the Swamp Lands, and the question of whether to accept them into the fold was answered without a vote.

Rory and Milan started to go sit, but Iris stopped them.

“Well, now that we have that sorted,” Iris said, her voice enough to silence the room. “As one of the council, I would like to remind everyone of the events last week. As you all know, Rory fought his first duel at Biosense a week ago. He defeated Rick’s challenge to take on the role of alpha. He is now Alpha of the Pack. Beside him is his mate, Milan Takeda. After all the sadness, do you agree that it is time to celebrate? Our town shall have a strong future despite the troubles. Am I right or what?”

A round of applause roared in the town hall and amid agreements and whistles.

“Then, the council shall convene to plan the ceremony,” Iris said, coming to stand beside Milan and pulling him into a hug. She liked Milan, Rory realized, very much.

***

The Council relocated to the Mayor’s office. Lisbeth was eager to discover more about Elle and Johan, Hunter cut straight to the point.

“With Rick gone, we are left with quite a few loose ends,” Hunter said, moving to sit on of the armchairs in Lisbeth’s huge office. Iris perched on the arm of his chair, nodding her head in agreement.

“The high school for sure needs a new head,” Linda said, sitting next to Hunter. “The vice-principal can fill in, but you know that position must be held by a council member.”

“Hunter,” Kutler said, standing next to Connor. “What do you think?”

“I don’t have the patience to deal with teenagers,” Hunter shook his head. “Iris?”

“No,” Linda, Lisbeth and Lechter all said at once, shaking their heads.

Iris laughed.

“I can do it,” Iris said. “I like young minds. So full of potential, they are. Why do you all look so frightened?”

“If you want work, I’ll give it to you,” Connor said. “Kutler needs help negotiating terms with the Swamp Lands on the logging. He’d love your input there.”

“I’m likely to side with the Swamp Lands,” Iris told him.

“Kutler?” Connor prompted.

“I would love your help,” Kutler said to Iris, with a strained smile.

“Fine, I’m sure that will be entertaining anyway,” Iris said. “Who will you make Principal then?”

“Elle,” Connor asked, looking to her. “You’re the only one without a current post. Sage runs her hotel. Linda is at the grocery store. Lisbeth is here. That leaves you.”

“You would trust me with your children?” Elle asked, a bit awed by this invitation.

“You have a nurturing nature,” Linda said, in agreement. “They’ll also learn from you.”

Elle smiled, and nodded, looking to Johan in excitement.

“Then, I’ll accept,” Elle said.

“Great,” Connor sat down on a bench set by the window and turned to Lisbeth. “Biosense. We’re in a disadvantage with them so close, Lisbeth. Cade Ogawa was too close, even with Rick’s help.”

“Cade Ogawa is a complication,” Linda said, staring at her nails. “His son is my son’s mate. We cannot bring him harm. Nisin is one of us now.”

“Complication is right,” Lisbeth said with a shudder. “Biosense is huge, Connor. They will get curious if a branch goes silent with no explanation.”

“What about the Takedas,” Iris suggested. “Both are doctors who spent their lives doing research one or another. Can’t we enlist their help with Biosense?”

Connor sighed. “Ilaria flew out of here like a bat out of hell. They might have to stay and takeover Biosense. How do we convince her to come back?”

“Simple,” Iris smiled. “Her son. She would do it to protect Milan.”

Linda nodded. “That’s an idea. Still doesn’t give us a solution about Cade and Nisin.”

“His fate would be death,” Lechter said, making Linda sit up, her gaze narrowed at him. “Relax, I’m not asking for that. Cade is too ambitious. You don’t get to his position with a passive attitude. We can’t kill him. We can’t have him staying in Portento as Biosense head. So, why don’t we strip him of his memories?”

Linda thought about it for a moment, and then turned to Sage.

“Can you remove all his Biosense memories?”

“That will get complicated if we have someone else taking over Biosense,” Sage said, pacing the length of Lisbeth’s desk. “If the Takedas agree, don’t you think they’ll want to know everything Cade was working on?”

“Use your magic to catalogue all that information,” Iris suggested. “It will give us insight into how Biosense works, and insulate the Takedas from the mothership.”

“What do we do with Cade when I’m done?”

“Hand him to the guardians,” Connor said. “They’ll make sure no one can reach him. Nisin may visit him as he wishes. The Welfare Office can handle that, can’t they?”

“I’ll handle it directly,” Linda said. “Nisin will be my son in-law. I’ll make sure it’s done right.”

“Connor, you’ll talk to the Takedas?” Sage asked.

“Yes,” Connor nodded.

“Finally, Dolon and Lloyd,” Hunter said with a sigh. “Dolon’s condition can be reversed. The hospital is already on it, he didn’t get too much of that poison Rick wanted. His parents are worried though. Their son attacked an Alpha’s mate.”

“Rory will reach out to them after Dolon gets better,” Connor decided. “Besides, I’m hoping this has taught Dolon a lesson. He should stop pushing Rory and Chris’s buttons now.”

“They burned Lloyd’s body yesterday,” Lechter said. “He didn’t make it.”

“I’m curious about why Rick didn’t have the same stench as Lloyd and even Dolon from that poison,” Hunter said. “I could barely stand in the hallway when he was at the end of the room.”

“Rick was corrupted from the start,” Connor said. “I would have smelled that corruption, but he took measures to hide it.”

“How?” Linda asked.

“This,” Sage held up a bunch of dried wolf’s bane. “It will blind any wolf’s senses, even an Alpha. He must have used it long enough. I doubt anyone knew his real scent.”

“Should we ban wolf’s bane from the town?” Linda asked.

“What’s the point?” Kutler asked. “If someone is determined to get it, they’ll find it.”

“How do we know if there are no more Rick’s hiding among us?” Lisbeth wondered.

“The golden pair,” Iris said with a smile.

“You mean Rory and Milan,” Connor said, narrowing his gaze at her.

“Yes,” Iris said, looking tickled. “I felt it today in the hall. Milan took Elle’s pain and turning the room away from anger and disagreements. Sanctuary is alive again, playing her part. Those two will keep Portento clean.”

“They’re still too young,” Kutler said. “So much to learn.”

“I’m willing to nurture,” Elle said, looking as excited as Iris.

“Me too,” Iris said. “Are you sure I can’t teach at the high school?”

“What would you teach?” Hunter asked, placing a hand on Iris’s knee.

“History,” Iris said, taking Hunter’s hand and placing it on his lap. “I have a long memory.”

“You’ll frighten the children,” Hunter teased.

“Children need frightening so that they don’t repeat history,” Iris said, her voice making even Connor shiver.

“Iris, that’s a no on frightening children. Work with Kutler.” Lisbeth stood up. “I’m glad to see the end of this trouble. It’s sad about Rick. Iris was right about a celebration. Rory is eighteen. It’s the right time to start learning how the council works. Plus, he’s graduating from high school this year.”

“Then spring is the perfect time for celebration,” Sage said, making magical flower petals rain down in the room. “The trees will have woken, the flowers blooming, the ice melted.”

“Rory wants to take Milan on a trip to Italy,” Iris said. “I heard them talking about it in whisper from the trees. We can help them plan for it.”

Connor rubbed his eyes and stood up too.

“That would include engaging the services of the guardians.”

“Anything for them,” Iris insisted. “Think of Milan as my son from now on, Connor Morgan. I’m your in-law.”

Connor chuckled at that and when Iris got up, he raised his arms in surrender.

“Yep, totally, I understand. Let’s end this meeting. I have things to do,” Connor said, heading for the door. “Sage, let me know what happens with Cade. I’ll call the Takedas tonight.”

***

I'm really grateful to you all for supporting this story. Please look forward to the last chapter.
Love,
Sui.
(2018) (Lee Suilan)
  • Like 42
  • Love 58
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Guardians? Sounds like a great angle for book two.

 

So bummed to see this story end! I’ve really enjoyed it.

Edited by Geemeedee
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Rick got the justice that he deserved; hope that everyone can begin to heal from his actions.  Rory and Milan are the future, but storms can still arise.  Can't wait to see what happens next.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Outstanding chapter! The town meeting went smoother than you hinted at, I’m ecstatic that the town is moving forward again by welcoming their brethren from the swamp lands back into the pack fully. Milan’s new role in the pack was made clear by Sanctuary and the amazing amount of strength and compassion he wields. The discussion of what to do with Biosense took on an interesting turn when the Takeda family were chosen to lead the company going forward and Connor was going to call Ilaria to discuss the offer. I always hate to see these amazing stories and characters come to an end. You are quite amazing at luring us into your constantly changing stories. I will definitely miss these amazing characters you’ve created, and I hope that you will consider bringing them back someday soon. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Hmmmm🤔 

What gets me the most curious is how they all spontaneously say no to Iris teaching. What's the history there?

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 3/7/2019 at 8:20 AM, Ang3l said:

What gets me the most curious is how they all spontaneously say no to Iris teaching. What's the history there?

Curiouser, and curiouser....hahaha..now that it's over, I wonder too, just kidding. She's a tad frightening to let near rebelling teenagers.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, lilansui said:

Curiouser, and curiouser....hahaha..now that it's over, I wonder too, just kidding. She's a tad frightening to let near rebelling teenagers.

 Why so frightening then.

I'm sure she can get really bad ass, but how ? 

 

Please please santa, can we get an iris story ? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 3/4/2019 at 12:34 PM, tinytoes said:

I think i have an idea who Chris mate is. And is anyone picking him up from the airport?

Are you thinking that Ayu is Chris’ mate? 

He did say before he left for Italy that he had found someone but didn’t elaborate on who it was. 😘

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
17 hours ago, Bft said:

Are you thinking that Ayu is Chris’ mate? 

He did say before he left for Italy that he had found someone but didn’t elaborate on who it was. 😘

Nope. 😁

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment

Well done @lilansui!  I feel the way you have wrapped up all is very satisfying.  I would also like it very much if the story continues to chronicle how Rory, Milan and the pack face a new future.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..