Jump to content
    lilansui
    • Author
  • 3,986 Words
  • 6,233 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Morgan Lore - 29. Chapter 29

Chapter 29

The Dream Castle in the Wild

Rory led Ilaria down the hall to the waiting room at the end of the hall. He closed the door, watching Ilaria move to sit in an armchair in the corner. She looked small, wearing a pair of jeans and blouse. Her hair in a ponytail. She wore no makeup, or jewelry save for her wedding ring. She worried it now, turning it round and round on her finger as she watched Rory perch on a stool.

“Thank you,” Ilaria started. She stared at her wedding ring. “One of the nurses told me that you’re the reason why Kiyo is so well taken care of here. Also, that you will send…Iris? They assure me she’s an expert who will help Kiyo. I’m really grateful, Rory.”

“Kiyo should have never been in the position to be injured so badly,” Rory said. “We should have protected him from Rick’s malice. Kiyo is also Milan’s Papa. I would do everything to make sure he is healthy.”

Ilaria looked at him then, her gaze unreadable. She studied him for a moment, then returned to turning her wedding ring. Once again, Rory missed his own mother. Johanna had also loved him and Connor with fierce dedication. It made him want to win Ilaria’s favor and have her look at him with that look she gave Milan when he wasn’t looking. A look full of unconditional love.

“About Milan,” Ilaria started again.

“He told me you want to fly back to Turin with him,” Rory said, his heart squeezing with panic at the thought of Milan leaving him.

He was mated to Milan. Under wolf law, their union was unbreakable. In Portento, that was always absolute. Every soul recognized that bond. Yet, under human law, he and Milan remained un-bonded. Milan was seventeen, still under his parents’ legal care. He needed Ilaria’s cooperation to keep Milan, at least for another year. Then Rory planned on binding Milan to him in all the ways legally possible.

“I beg you,” Ilaria said, looking at him, her gaze tearing him to pieces. “Please let him come with us. This place, I brought him here. I brought him here and now—”

“He’s cured,” Rory reminded her. “He has a new start, Mamma, because of this town. Don’t take him away from me.”

Ilaria shook her head, tears filling her eyes again.

“I need you to understand me, Rory.”

“Then tell me, why aren’t you happy that Milan’s no longer ill, Mamma?”

“The price is too high,” Ilaria said, her voice heavy with worry. “Milan is barely lived. It’s insane to think of him with a lifetime mate. He has so much to learn, so much to experience. If he ever got well enough to go out and play, I wanted him to travel the world. I spent so much time keeping him confined, that I promised myself when he could escape that prison, I would help him live. Let him fly across the vast world. To visit places he wished, see all the things that would inspire him to draw, or-or build what he wished. Rory, I’m afraid that he can’t find all of these things here.”

When she finished, it was Rory’s turn to stare at the floor. His gaze on his boots as he realized that he had not stopped to think about the future. He always wanted to be Alpha of Portento, but Milan…

Milan had a dream. A dream he carried in his heart, carefully hiding it with the fear that he might never achieve it. Architects needed education, training, experience. None of which could be found in Portento.

“I know you love him.” Ilaria got up from the chair and came to kneel before him, taking his hands in her much softer hold. “He loves you. There is no denying that anymore. I see it now. Grazie mille for loving my child and giving him a new life. One I could never afford him in a thousand years. Still, I beg you. This mother begs you. Please, don’t limit him. Please help me give him his dreams.”

Rory felt tears slide down his cheeks. Knowing that Ilaria pleaded out of love. Still, Milan belonged in Portento. This was his sanctuary.

Rory turned away from where Ilaria gripped his hands.

“Turin is so far,” Rory said, knowing Milan didn’t want to leave Portento. He had felt it at the cave. A heavy reluctance that filled Milan’s heart like nothing else, it gave Rory clarity.

“It is,” Ilaria agreed.

“He’s already started school here,” Rory reasoned. “Can’t you let him leave for college when he finishes twelfth grade? Let him finish school here. When he graduates, I promise to support all his plans. Whatever he wants to do, where he wants to go, I’ll make it happen. No one will stand in his way.”

“Twelfth grade is in a few months,” Ilaria said, reaching up to wipe his tears away with her palm. “For now though, I must take Kiyo away to recuperate and I don’t want to leave Milan alone. He’s never been without us all his life. He might be well, but he still needs his family.”

“Milan can stay with me,” Rory said. “I have more than enough room for him.”

“I should say,” Ilaria said, her gaze wistful. “I need him beside me, Rory. I—I need my family around me. Milan won’t leave as long as he feels you can’t handle him away. So, I’m here asking you to help me take him away from Portento for a week or two.”

“What about school?” Rory asked Ilaria, feeling her need to escape the town grow. He understood her need to leave, but Milan was his now too. He was determined to keep him.

“Mamma, Milan is a month into a new semester,” Rory said. “He loves it very much. You know that. Then, there is Ayu who has a full schedule for the semester at the university. Leaving now will derail their credits. If you’re worried about them staying at your house, then they won’t. They can move into mine. I have plenty of space and on my word, they will be safe.”

Ilaria closed her eyes and gripped his hands tight.

“Rory—”

Rory got up and crouched before Ilaria, his head bowed, stopping Ilaria’s next words.

“I can’t be without Milan,” Rory whispered, pressing his forehead on her shoulder, allowing emotion to bleed through. “I know how precious he is to you. Believe me, I know, because he is just as precious to me. Mamma. Please trust me with him. Let him stay in Portento. I’ll watch out for him while you take care of Papa.”

“Rory.”

“I beg you, let him stay,” Rory said, tears filling his eyes, soaking into Ilaria’s blouse.

Every part of him willing her to let Milan stay. Hope grew when she brought her arms around him and held him as he sobbed into her shoulder.

***

Milan rubbed his thumb over Kiyo’s knuckles. His father’s hand so much larger than his, so much more capable. Milan remembered Kiyo holding his hand as they walked into buildings, or crossed the road. His father’s hold always assured, dependable. Milan missed it now.

“I don’t think Papa’s ever been ill enough to be laid up in bed,” Ayu noted, on the other side of Kiyo. He held Kiyo’s left hand while Milan clutched the right. “I mean, he gets stupid tired, and sleeps for two days straight. But, never this sick.”

“It’s weird seeing him this way,” Milan agreed, looking at Kiyo. “Mamma is losing her mind.”

“I know you don’t want to leave,” Ayu said. “I’ve been thinking, and I promise I’ll work on convincing her to let us stay. I’m over eighteen. I doubt she’ll worry so much if you’re left in my care. She did it all the time when we were in Turin and she would go on trips with Papa. This should be the same.”

Milan smiled at Ayu.

“What about Christina in Turin? Don’t you want to go see her?”

Ayu glanced at Milan, a small smile playing on his lips.

“Christina and I are just friends now. We’ve both moved on these past two months. She’s found someone.”

“And you?” Milan asked, trying to see if his brother had found a place in Portento.

“There might be someone I like,” Ayu said, his smile widening. “It’s still too early though. I’ll have to see where it takes us.”

“Who?” Milan asked, eager to know, happy that his brother had found some form of happiness.

“I won’t tell yet,” Ayu winked at him. “It’s a work in progress.”

“Tell me,” Milan insisted. “Ayu, come on, tell me.”

“What will you give me if I tell you?” Ayu asked.

“I won’t tell anyone you have a crush on someone,” Milan teased. “Gosh, you’re so blushing. When did you start blushing, Ayu?”

“I am not blushing,” Ayu protested, a tad too hard.

Milan chuckled, and stopped when the door opened. They both turned to look and found themselves staring at the woman who walked into the hospital room.

Long golden hair free around her shoulders and down her back, long floaty skirts, petite and pretty. She reminded Milan of a fairy tale. He blinked when she walked right to him and stood a moment studying him with avid interest.

“Aw, look at you, so handsome,” she said, reaching out a slender hand to touch his cheek. Her fingers cool against his skin. “So beautiful to look at. The goddess was kind to you and your mate. A perfect match if I ever saw one. Rory is lucky indeed.”

Milan blushed and heard Ayu snicker behind him. The woman grinned and kissed both Milan’s pink-tinged cheeks.

“My name is Iris. Daughter of the earth, and I recognize you, you chosen child of the earth. If you ever need anything from me, all you need is ask.”

Milan stared as she reached into her pocket and pulled out the amulet Rory had given him. Milan had kept it in a box on his desk at home, afraid to wear it daily in case he lost it. Now, to see Iris holding it felt surreal. How had she known he had it?

She moved even closer and put the leather cord around his neck.

“I snooped into your space, but I had to. Rory gave this to you, and you kept it away. . This is your mate’s wish. To protect you, to always know nothing will happen to you. I would ask that you don’t take it off again, Little Alpha.”

Milan watched Iris sweep her fingers over the surface of the amulet and the metal shimmered. Symbols appeared on the edge of the amulet in a perfect circle. They reminded Milan of Nordic Runes. Iris kissed his right cheek and then his left, once again making him blush.

“If you ever need me, all you need do is touch this amulet and call to me,” Iris said, releasing the amulet around his neck. “I will hear your call.”

Milan touched the amulet and looked up at her in surprise. She smiled at him, then pulled him into a comforting hug.

“You’re family now. And, you must be Ayu,” Iris said, over his shoulders.

“Yes,” Ayu said, staring at her like he had turned stupid.

Milan reached over and pinched his brother’s arm when Iris let go of him. She laughed at the gesture and shook her head when Ayu got off Kiyo’s bed with a hard blush.

“Your older brother is adorable,” Iris told Milan. “Now, why don’t I take a look at your Papa? He looks in bad shape. The poison from Rick’s blood is working fast.”

Milan sobered, moving back, to give Iris access to Kiyo

“Can you help him?” Milan asked, worried.

“He is your father. Your blood came from him. As you’ve been able to transition so beautifully, some of that must have come from him,” Iris said, pulling the covers down. “I’ll exploit that loophole to undo the damage done to him by one of us.”

“One of us?” Milan asked.

“Yes, the enchanted,” Iris answered him with a wink. “The extraordinary that live in Portento.”

Ayu helped Iris unbutton Kiyo’s pajama shirt to reveal the bandages taped to his chest and stomach. There was blood starting to seep through. Kiyo was due a dressing change. Milan wanted to look away when Iris carefully undid the bandages to reveal the sutured wounds on Kiyo’s stomach.

The skin around them was angry red, and wet. Milan wished he could look away, but his gaze stayed riveted on Iris and her study of Kiyo’s disturbing wounds.

Iris frowned, but then reached into the pocket of her long skirts. She got out a small bag and poured dried herbs onto her palm. She rubbed them between her palms, her eyes closed, murmuring words that Milan did not understand.

The herbs turned into white smoke seeping down on to Kiyo’s stomach from between Iris’s palms. She moved her hands over the wounds on Kiyo’s stomach. The smoke dancing over the harsh wounds, seeping in. When it faded from her palms, she got more herbs, rubbing them between her palms and making more smoke.

Ayu came to stand beside Milan, wrapping an arm around Milan’s shoulders when black ooze started coming out of Kiyo’s wounds. Dark and wicked, it seeped into the bandages on each side of Kiyo’s wounds. When Iris finished murmuring, the smoke ended, the wounds on Kiyo’s stomach looked less red. Less harsh, not as ugly as they looked before.

Kiyo’s breathing came easier, and he shifted, as he would when in a deep sleep.

Iris studied Kiyo for a moment, before she reached for the call button and pressed it.

“Your Papa will heal quite fine. The rest is for the nurses,” Iris declared with a smile. A nurse came in with a cart, and Iris moved away from Kiyo’s bed to give her space. “The worst is out of his system. His system is on the path to healing. The process will move fast, but he will need quiet time and rest.”

“Thank you,” Ayu said, looking at Iris in a state of awe.

Iris smiled and moved to pinch Ayu’s cheek, a gentle caress.

“I’m going now,” Iris said, looking at Milan. “I will see you at the town meeting.”

“What town meeting?” Milan asked, not sure what she was talking about.

Iris hugged him and rubbed his back with affection.

“There will be one. Ask Rory about it.”

Iris left them then, her presence in the room missed as soon as she was gone.

Kiyo moved on the bed on his own and Milan forgot about the town meeting. Instead, running to his father’s side, elated when he saw Kiyo’s eyes open.

***

‘Rory, where did you go?’ Milan called to Rory, testing out their connection. He wondered if it would work outside Portento.

‘Talking to Iris. She says she brought your amulet to you,’ Rory answered almost immediately. Milan frowned when he felt unease from Rory. Something had upset his mate, and Rory was hiding it. As though sensing his thoughts, Rory soothed him. I’m fine, Milan.’

Milan frowned, but didn’t push Rory. Instead, he settled on the chair next to Kiyo’s bed and watched the doctor check the wounds on Kiyo’s chest. They looked less angry, but Kiyo was still in pain. Iris was right. Kiyo would need time to recover.

The doctor gave a satisfied nod after he was done with his inspection. He scribbled notes on Kiyo’s chart as the nurses covered the wounds with bandages. Ilaria walked in just as the doctor started to give instructions to the nurse.

“There you are,” he said. “I’m glad to see you. I wanted to tell you that your husband is fit enough for travel now. As long as all measures are taken to reduce infection, he should make it to Turin with no trouble.”

“Thank you, Doctor,” Ilaria said, coming to shake the doctor’s hand. “You’ve been a real help.”

“Anytime,” The doctor said, glancing at Milan and Ayu. “I’ll be back later for rounds.”

“Sure,” Ilaria said, moving to Kiyo’s right side.

She checked his temperature by pressing her palm on Kiyo’s forehead. When Kiyo opened his eyes, tears shimmered in her eyes and she perched on the edge of the bed, taking his hand.

The doctor left with a quiet goodbye followed by the nurses.

Mio amore,” Ilaria said, leaning to kiss Kiyo’s cheek. “You scared me.”

“I’m sorry,” Kiyo managed with a small smile for her. “I tried to avoid it, but that Rick was going to hurt Nisin. I had to do something.”

“I know,” Ilaria brushed dark hair out of Kiyo’s eyes, and caressed his jaw. “I know. We’re going to have you rest for weeks. You need to heal and get better.”

“What’s this I hear about going back Turin?” Kiyo asked, with a frown.

Milan moved closer to the bed ready to lodge a complaint about his mother’s decision. Ayu right beside him. Ilaria gave him a complex glance before he could speak, and Milan watched her squeeze Kiyo’s hand.

“I’m afraid if you stay here you’ll end up in your lab,” Ilaria said, her voice as cheerful as she could get it. “You have too much at your disposal and you’ll end up working when you should be resting.”

“So?” Kiyo asked, studying her, his gaze gentle.

“So, I’m taking you to Turin,” Ilaria said, then glanced at Milan and Ayu. “The boys can stay. They have school. We’ll be back here when your health is better.”

Kiyo’s gaze shifted to Milan’s shocked face and then to Ayu.

“I guess you’re surprising them with this?”

Milan felt afraid to even ask why Ilaria had decided to change her stance. He kept his mouth shut, and held on to Ayu’s hand, his gaze on Ilaria.

“Rory’s family has a huge house. He showed me a picture,” Ilaria said, squeezing Kiyo’s fingers. “Rory assures me there is a place for Ayu and Milan. He promises to protect them.”

You talked to her,’ Milan said to Rory.

I reasoned, and begged,’ Rory replied, sounding close. She loves you so much, Milan. I’m envious. It’s not easy for her to let you stay. She’s trusting me to keep you safe.’

Milan moved around the bed to where his mother sat. He pulled her into a tight hug, and closed his eyes when she buried her face into his shoulder. This was harder for her than him. Ilaria had a hard time letting go. He was so ready to be independent, and it was hard on her.

“Rory is a good boy,” Ilaria said in Italian. “He seems to love you very much, Cucciolo. Be good to him.”

Si, Mamma,” Milan answered. He let go of her and she kissed his cheeks.

“Papa and I will head to Turin with Marie. I’ll let him sleep in and eat all the foods he wants until he gets better,” Ilaria said, taking Kiyo’s hand and squeezing it. “When he can walk without pain, we’ll come back. Yes?”

“Sounds good,” Milan agreed, glad he didn’t have to leave Portento. He would miss his parents, but it felt worse to leave Rory right now.

“Ayu?” Ilaria glanced at her oldest son. “What about you? Will you help me take Papa to Turin? You can see Christina.”

Ayu smiled at her.

“I’ll take you to Turin, then once you’re settled, I’ll fly back to keep Milan company.”

Milan chuckled knowing Ayu was returning for the mysterious person he liked.

Thank you,’ Milan said to Rory.

Anything for you, Milan.

***

Marie played a large role in closing up the Takeda house. Rory helped her set up a cleaning service to clean the place every week, and make sure dust did not accumulate. She packed up Ayu and Milan’s bags, and Rory handed them to Topher and Matt to take back to the pack house. Rory took Ilaria’s and Kiyo’s suitcase, as well as Marie’s, and put them in his SUV ready to go to the airport.

Once that was done, Marie pulled him into a tight hug that had him swallowing hard.

“Thank you,” she murmured, pressing a book into his hands. “This has Milan’s favorite dishes. If you have someone who can help, prepare them for him when he’s down. He’ll miss his parents very much. So, spoil him a bit for me.”

“I will,” Rory kissed her cheek. “Take care of yourself, Marie. I’ll miss you too.”

Marie smiled and patted his cheek as she hurried off to sleep ready for the early wake-up call in the morning. Rory drove to the pack house to get a change of clothes, and a quick shower. He would drive to the hospital in the morning as Milan and Ayu were camped in Kiyo’s hospital room. Wanting to spend as much time as they could with their parents.

Rory gave them the space. After all, it was only one night, then he would have Milan in his life, in his house for good.

***

The drive back from the airport went fast. Milan sat in the front passenger seat, his thoughts on his parents and Ayu. Watching them board their flight had been hard. Not being with them harder. He was still numb about it all. The past few days felt like a whirlwind that had yet to stop and settle.

“They’ll be fine,” Rory said, squeezing Milan’s thigh as he slowed down his SUV to make a turn into another non-existent road in the forest. “It’ll be okay, Milan.”

Milan let out a sigh, and placed his hand over Rory’s, squeezing it. Yes. It would all turn out okay in the end, he decided. Plus, it wasn’t as though he wouldn’t talk to his family. Ilaria would Skype him the moment they landed in Turin and settled. Maybe then he would be all thawed out and thinking more clearly.

“Do all of you love living in the forest?” Milan asked, as Rory’s car drove through a dirt road leading deeper into the forest. "And , you have an aversion to real roads."

Rory chuckled.

“We love living in the wild, but no one wants to damage the forest's ecosystem laying out tarmac. Not when we have Iris and Grandma Asta living among us. So, we only construct the roads that are absolutely necessary.”

“Like the one to the Swamp Lands?” Milan asked, having heard Rory talking about getting approval to build an easier way into the swamp.

“Yeah,” Rory turned to look at him and winked. “Are you ready to see your new home?”

Milan smiled, hard to stay unaffected by Rory’s excitement. Rory was practically vibrating.

Milan held Rory’s hand, and shifted in his seat so that he could watch Rory drive.

“Very ready,” Milan said, just as Rory drove into a stunning lush green driveway.

The car slowed down, and Milan turned to see Rory’s home, a moan of appreciation escaping at the sight before him. He loved buildings, loved it when buildings melded into their environment. The pack house, as Rory called it, was a masterpiece if he had ever seen one. A castle hidden in the wild: stunning, a dance of tall glass at the front, green branches crawling up one side of the building. Heavy with history. Then the new addition to the right of the building, that spoke of youth and charm.

Milan couldn't believe Rory lived here. It felt like a dream.

“Welcome home,” Rory said as he parked, and smiled wide at Milan. "I've waited a long time to bring you here."

***

(2018) (Lee Suilan)
  • Like 39
  • Love 59
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Loved it sui

 

 

I'm also very interested in knowing who Ayu  is talking about.....  perhaps a certain Wolfie best friend?

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I love this story SO much! I wonder who Ayu has had a chance to meet? Can't wait to see what the Town Meeting is about, etc. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Amazing chapter! Ilaria’s and Rory’s emotions played a huge role in this chapter. Rory was ultimately successful in getting Ilaria to let Milan and Ayu stay in Portento as long as Rory allows Milan to pursue his dreams of travel and architecture. Iris’s bringing to Milan of his Amulet given to him by Rory and reactivating it’s magical properties and reminding him never to remove it. Her healing of Kiyo was amazing and her fondness for the little Alpha’s family is touching. Milan is impressed with the pack house and it’s architecture. I’m definitely looking forward to the next chapter! 😃❤️

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I've binged thru the chapters this far and can't wait for the next installment. I hope Kiyo and Ilaria will be back soon and can't wait to see who Ayu is crushing on...plus, I want to know more about his business in Italy!!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 2/12/2019 at 7:14 PM, LilDaddy98 said:

I hope you continue this story,

Thanks for reading, I will, I think I have two or three chapters left now ^_^.

 

On 2/15/2019 at 3:09 PM, Gene63 said:

I've binged thru the chapters this far and can't wait for the next installment. I hope Kiyo and Ilaria will be back soon and can't wait to see who Ayu is crushing on...plus, I want to know more about his business in Italy!!!

Italy is on it's way.  Milan will make a short visit at some time, to be revealed. ^_^.  Thank you so much for reading this story of mine.  It's been an unexpected journey for me too.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It was good news that Ilaria had changed her mind and is leaving Milan and Ayu with the pack.  I think it will help both Kiyo and herself reestablish the bond and love for each other they had sacrificed for Milan.  I hope they return soon.  I am also curious about Ayu's love interest.  It would be nice to get an update on Nisin and Jack, Nisin's father Cade, Lechter and his wife as well as what's happening at the swamp.

Finally, Milan gets to see his new home.  It may be deep in the forest, but still very impressive.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..