Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,387 Words
  • 7,654 Views
  • 20 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flux - 13. Chapter 13

June 19, 2002

Boston, MA

 

Matt

 

“Are you going to Claremont for the 4th of July?” I asked JJ.

“I told Stef that I would go if John and Marie went,” he said with a smirk. “So I’m betting I won’t be there.”

“Are you going?” Wade asked me.

I shrugged. “I’m thinking about it.” It had been a shithole of a town, but it was supposed to be a lot cooler now. “If I’m traveling with Zach and Will, I’ll probably end up there.” It also reminded me of Robbie; it was part of him, but I didn’t bring that up.

“You’re going to be at Escorial for Bastille Day, aren’t you?” Wade asked. “I was thinking I could meet up with you there.”

“That would be awesome,” I said, but it was kind of a lie. Ever since this thing with Brad went down, he’d been extra nice to me, and it kind of bugged me. I couldn’t help but think that he was doing it so I’d suddenly tell him that I was just fine if he and Brad wanted to keep fucking each other’s brains out. I had to try hard not to get pissed off at him for trying to manipulate me.

“So who is this realtor you hired?” Tiffany asked.

“Victoria Gladstone,” Wade said evenly.

“Victoria Gladstone?” I asked, chuckling at that imperious sounding name.

“She’s supposed to be the expert in exclusive Boston properties,” Wade said, emphasizing the word, ‘the’.

“I’ll bet she’s eighty years old,” Tiffany grumbled.

“I don’t care if she’s sixteen, as long as she helps us find a house,” Wade said.

“Maybe she’ll be hot,” I said to Tiffany. I was going to give her shit about last night, but JJ was in the room, so I just raised my eyebrows suggestively.

“Maybe she will be,” Tiffany said, giving me a snarky look.

“We’re looking at the house with the ice rink, right?” JJ asked.

“We’ve narrowed it down to that one, and a house in Back Bay,” Wade explained.

“Why can’t we just go check out the one with the ice rink?” JJ asked. He was in his bitchy teenager mode, and it was funny to see Wade get completely frustrated at trying to figure out how to deal with him.

“I think we’re going to see the Back Bay house first,” Wade said firmly.

“Well then why don’t you guys just pick me up after you’re done with that one,” he said, being a smart-ass.

“JJ, come on. It will be fun,” I said, entering the fray.

“Looking at houses is not fun,” he said. “Especially houses I’m not going to live in.”

“Yes it is,” I said. “We’ll make fun of how they decorated it. It will be a blast. Like going to a fashion show for badly dressed people.”

“Like one of Zach’s football games,” JJ said, rolling his eyes. “The stadium is filled with people who couldn’t wear matching clothes if their lives depended on it.”

“Yep,” I said.

“It’s time to go,” Wade said, looking at his watch and being very task oriented. We went down to the lobby and stood there at a loss, not sure who we were looking for. We watched the door as an older woman came in, and I cringed because she was so dowdy, but she headed straight to the front desk. While she was distracting me, another woman came in and approached us, such that I didn’t see her until she was in front of us.

“Mr. Danfield?” she asked, looking mainly at Wade.

“Wade Danfield,” Wade said, as he stepped forward and shook her hand.

“I’m Victoria Gladstone,” she said pleasantly. She was very attractive, probably in her early thirties, with her dark hair pulled back and held with some sort of comb or something, which made her look very formal and businesslike, a look that was accentuated by her dark business suit. It was cut perfectly to accentuate her slim body. She stood about 5’9” tall, but I decided that four of those inches could be explained by the heels she wore.

“Matt Carrswold,” I said, shaking her hand. She smiled at me, but completely ignored my attempts to charm her. When Wade introduced her to Tiffany, she was much more responsive. I smiled at him and raised my eyebrows, and almost laughed as he repressed a grin.

“We have three properties to see,” she said.

“I thought there were only two,” JJ said petulantly.

“The last one is just for you,” she said, smiling at JJ. “Is that jacket Armani?” I almost rolled my eyes at how she’d picked the perfect thing to point out.

“It’s Dior Homme,” he said. “Your suit is Chanel.”

“It is,” she confirmed, smiling. “Let’s go see the houses.”

“Three houses,” JJ said firmly. “And that’s it.”

“Three houses, and a surprise for you,” she said.

The first house we saw was a really nice townhouse in Back Bay. It was very big, so there was plenty of room, and it was close to lots of restaurants and shopping, but it seemed really old-fashioned. The second house was the place out in Brookline. It was massive, and looked like it could be an English Manor house. The ice rink was nice enough, and it even had its own little Zamboni, but even JJ was having a hard time liking it. It was just too big, and it would be a 15-minute drive into Harvard for Wade, assuming there was no traffic. I had a feeling there would be a lot of traffic. It reminded us all of Escorial, and I wasn’t sure that they wanted to recreate that feeling.

Wade and I wandered away from them and looked at the pool in the backyard. “She’s sure paying attention to Tiffany,” I teased him. “Even though you’re writing the check.”

“I am, but Victoria is smart enough to know that Tiffany has a big vote on where we live,” he said.

“I think she thinks Tiffany is hot,” I said, raising my eyebrows. “I think she’s hot too.”

“So do I,” he said, blushing.

“Victoria’s moving in on our turf. At this rate, we won’t get to have another threesome tonight,” I joked.

“Last night was a blast,” he said. “For a lesbian, she sure enjoys dick.”

I laughed. “True that.”

“Are you two done screwing around?” Tiffany demanded, pulling us out of our conversation.

“We are,” Wade answered.

“Where’s the third house?” I asked Victoria, my tone letting her know I wasn’t all that impressed with the first two places.

“Harvard Square,” she said.

“That’s probably convenient for me,” Wade said.

“There is no place more convenient for you,” Victoria said.

JJ frowned. “Does it have an ice rink?”

“Not exactly,” Victoria said. She told the driver to take us by a park and had him pause in front of a large building. “This is the Boston Skating Club. This is where the best figure skaters in Boston practice.”

“The best of Boston,” JJ said with disdain, as if there would be no talent of consequence there. “That’s not the same thing as having an ice rink at the house.”

She rapped the window, and the driver drove a very short distance and pulled up in front of a townhouse. “This is the last house. It doesn’t have an ice rink, but it is close enough that you could actually walk there.”

“It’s practically next door,” Tiffany said supportively. It was close, but it wasn’t that close.

“Let’s see the house,” Wade said. It was funny, because we’d walked into the other two houses a bit apprehensively, as if we were waiting for something to jump out at us. They just didn’t feel right. This one felt right. Maybe it was because, even though the ground floor rooms were pretty traditional, the rest of the house was very contemporary. Or maybe it was because the floor plan seemed to work perfectly for everyone, with damn near an entire separate floor for each of them. Or maybe it was the fact that it was sandwiched about equidistant from the ice rink and Harvard, and surrounded by a booming area with lots of bars and shops. Whatever the reason, in half an hour, we all knew this was the house for them.

While Wade worked out the details to buy the house, and Tiffany hovered around just to hang out with Victoria, JJ and I wandered around the house, exploring. “I wish you were moving with us,” he said.

I thought about that, and decided to respond honestly. “It would be great to be around you, but I’m actually glad I’m not moving here.”

“Why?”

I shrugged. “I love Wade, but I need to be on my own, and so does he.”

“Well your timing sure sucks,” he said, smiling at me.

“I promised I’d come out and visit at least twice a year, and if I can, I’ll try to make your competitions.”

“That would be great,” he said. “Guess I can’t see you play hockey anymore.”

“Guess not,” I said sadly, and it dawned on me that my hockey playing days were probably over. That should have worked through my brain when we’d played in our playoffs in March, but I guess, in my mind, I’d just sort of felt there’d be another season.

I looked around at this place, and realized that I didn’t belong here. I was like an appendage, and I felt really uncomfortable.

 

June 19, 2002

Claremont, OH

 

Will

 

 

I drove the car up to Wally and Clara’s house and parked it. “This is really fun to drive,” I said to Grand. We got out and admired this 1963 Corvette Convertible, the car he’d given his parents as a Christmas gift. It had been new back then, I thought, smiling internally.

“I think so,” Grand agreed.

“Thanks for letting me drive.” That was a major sacrifice on his part, since he was like my father in that they both liked to drive: I was convinced it was a control thing. Ever since I’d gotten my permit, I’d been driving every chance I could. Pedro had gone from being the guy who drove me around, to the guy who rode with me so I could legally drive.

“Thank you for not wrecking it,” he joked.

“Yet,” I teased. “It’s so different than Dad’s Ferrari, or Stef’s Porsche.”

“I agree, but I am wondering why you think it is different.”

“It’s just so raw and muscular, but not nearly as refined,” I noted, thinking that I could be talking about some of the men I’d had in my life.

“That is a fair assessment,” he said, as we walked up to the door. I’d been nervous driving the Corvette over here, but not nearly as nervous as I was now, walking into the lion’s den. Grand rang the doorbell, and we waited just a few seconds before the door opened.

“JP! How good to see you!” Clara said, and gave him a hug. She knew him well enough to restrain her exuberance.

“It is good to see you too,” he said.

“And Will! How nice that you could come along,” she said, with much less sincerity. She gave me a much more stunted hug.

“Thanks for inviting me.”

“Welcome,” Wally said gruffly, shaking Grand’s hand, and then mine. “Have a seat.”

We did as he asked, even as I looked around, wondering where Zach and his brothers were. I was glad to see they’d finally spent some of the money Robbie had left them on their house. They’d gotten wood floors to replace the worn out carpeting, and they’d also replaced the sofa and chairs with new ones, even though they were still a tacky plaid pattern. There was a big new television against the wall, replacing the piece of shit they used to have. “Nice couch,” I said.

“Thank you,” Clara said. “The other one was completely worn out.” We heard feet clomping on the stairs, and I knew Zach so well I could even recognize his footsteps. He came bursting into the room, full of energy.

“Hey!” he said, and shook Grand’s hand, then mine. “Good to see you both!”

“I’m sure you’re enjoying your time back home,” Grand said. I knew better, but Zach played it off.

“It’s nice to see Mom and Dad,” he answered.

“Dinner is almost ready,” Clara said, and hustled off to the kitchen to finish cooking.

“Zach says he’s flying out to California with you to meet with his agent,” Wally said to me.

“He’s not my agent, he’s my advisor,” Zach said, raising that issue again. It was funny to see that annoyed Wally as much as it had annoyed me.

“He’s meeting with his advisor, while I’m surfing,” I said pleasantly, determined to be nice to Zach’s father.

“I’m not sure what there is to meet about,” Wally growled. “He was pretty clear when he was here.”

“He was ambushed by you and Mom,” Zach said in a very annoyed tone. “I want him to give me some guidelines now that he’s had a chance to think about things.”

“Or after Will called in the cavalry,” he said rudely, as he looked at me. I was pretty surprised that he was being so obnoxious in front of Grand. It was the height of bad manners to invite us over to dinner and then start an argument less than ten minutes after we arrived.

“We seem to have upset your household,” Grand said calmly. “Perhaps it would be better if we left and returned another time.”

That actually had an impact on Wally, probably because of how pissed off Clara would be if he ran Grand out of their house. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for it to seem that way. We just have some things we needed to talk about, but we can do that later,” Wally said hastily.

“Excellent,” Grand said. His eye twitched slightly, which meant that he was annoyed, at least according to my father.

“Dinner is ready!” Clara announced, ending the tense encounter. We got up and went into the kitchen, which had been completely remodeled. They’d put in new cabinets, but they were a light oak color that I thought looked hideous. They had these pulls on the doors that were part brass, and part white porcelain, only the white porcelain looked strange compared to the ivory colored Corian countertops. The floor was composed of off-white ceramic tiles, which didn’t quite match the countertops. The appliances were white too, just completing the bright but tacky look. They didn’t have a separate dining room, but the kitchen was large enough for a dining area. I noticed they kept the same oak table they’d had before, only it had been refinished in a failed attempt to match the new cabinets, and the new chairs, which ironically enough did match the new cabinets.

“Where are your brothers?” I asked Zach.

“They all had plans tonight,” Clara said. “I’m sorry they couldn’t join us.” I shared a look with Grand, even as I felt we were being led into an ambush.

We started eating, enjoying a really good pot roast, even as we made idle conversation about Claremont, and how things were changing. I kept waiting for the shoe to drop, and when we had finished the main course, it finally fell. “I want you to understand why we don’t want Zach spending time with you,” Wally said to me, trying to be nice.

“I will be interested to hear your reasons as well,” Grand said, letting Wally know I wasn’t alone. I gave him a brief look to thank him for being here and backing me up.

“You know we don’t have a problem with you being gay,” Wally said, and even though I wasn’t entirely convinced that was true, I nodded. “But if you’re constantly around Zach, they’re going to think he’s gay too. And if they think that, it will destroy his career. He’s got talent. He can be the greatest running back in football. We don’t want your friendship to derail that.”

“I’m not sure who ‘they’ are,” I said coldly. “I know Zach’s a great football player. I flew out to New Jersey and saw a bunch of his games, and I’ve seen him scrimmage with the De La Salle team.” I wanted to remind them that I’d spent a lot more of my time watching him play football this past season than they had. “We’re good friends. In fact he’s my best friend. And we’re also cousins, more or less. So I think that ‘they’ should mind their own damn business.”

“We know friendships are important,” Clara said gently, “but Zach’s football career is his number one priority.”

“But it’s not my only priority,” Zach said. I tried not to give him a loving look as he said that, but it was hard to repress. He’d acknowledged that football was number one, and I got that, but he also recognized I was important too. My cheery mood faded when I saw his expression. There was real fire in his eyes, and I was worried that he was a small nudge away from a big explosion. “Did you ever stop and think that without Will’s friendship, I may not be as good? He props me up, and keeps me going, even when other people try to tear me down.” He said that last sentence as he glared at Wally, who tended to be hypercritical of Zach’s football performance.

“Your talent is what makes you good,” Wally said.

“That is not my experience,” Grand intervened. “I have seen, and interacted, with a multitude of college athletes. I have noticed that the young men who perform the best are men who are emotionally and mentally supported. It is more than just talent.” Wally didn’t like that, but he wasn’t bold enough to argue directly with Grand.

“I hired an advisor, and he’s going to give me some pointers on how to keep ‘them’ from talking about our friendship,” Zach said firmly.

“I think we hired the advisor,” Wally snapped.

“I am in control of my own life, and my own career,” Zach insisted, almost snarling.

“You are still my son, and you are still under eighteen, so you’ll do what I tell you to do!” Wally said loudly.

“You can yell all you want,” Zach replied with just as much volume. “It’s not going to change a damn thing. And I’m not going to let you jump in and mess things up for me. I have professionals who are watching out for me, people who know what they’re doing, and I’m going to listen to them.”

“You will listen to me!” Wally shouted.

“No, I won’t,” Zach said. I was stunned at how defiant he was being. A year ago, he was a loyal and dutiful son, and now he was in full-blown rebellion. They probably blamed me for that. No wonder they hated me. Everyone just sort of sat there, mildly stunned by that, until Zach continued. “Like I said, I have professionals who are going to give me advice on how to manage my career. They know what I need to do. I don’t, and you don’t.”

“You have professionals because I hired them,” Wally insisted, still trying to exert his authority. We all knew that was bullshit, since the people he’d worked with, like advisors and lawyers, had come from recommendations by my family. “I’m going to work with them to set up some rules, and you’re going to follow them, and that’s the end of it.”

Zach looked at him with his shit-eating grin, the one that was scary because it meant that he was scheming. “Don’t bother.”

“What?” Wally asked, surprised.

“I said ‘don’t bother’. If you’re making the rules, and you’re in charge, I’m not playing,” he said adamantly.

“You’re playing,” Wally insisted. “You’ve been playing since you were a little kid. You love football.”

“I do love football, and I’m good at it,” Zach said. “But I’m done for right now. I turn eighteen in slightly less than a year. I’ll start playing again then.”

“This is your senior year,” Clara said plaintively. “This is when you need to do your best to get recruited by a good college.”

Zach shrugged. “I’ve got good grades, so I’m betting that I’m good enough to get into any school I’d want to play football at. I’ll just go there and walk-on. I can red-shirt.”

“You won’t get a scholarship,” Wally said.

“Don’t need one,” Zach said dismissively. “Robbie covered that for me, so I’d have choices. This is one of them.”

“You don’t want to spend all your money on college,” Clara said idiotically. I watched Grand cringe.

“That’s what it’s for,” Zach said.

“You’re playing football,” Wally said, but with less zeal, since Zach had pretty much cut them off. “And if you don’t, maybe you should spend your senior year here at Claremont.”

“I’m not seeing that,” Zach said dismissively, really pissing him off. “What are you going to do, come out to Cali and have me arrested and marched back to Ohio?” Wally glared at him, while Zach shook his head contemptuously. “I’d be gone so fast it would make your head spin.”

“Zachary, I don’t think it’s right for you to treat us this badly,” Clara said, and I watched Zach blanch at that. He loved his parents, but he was really tight with his mother. When she was seriously annoyed with him, she used his full name, so he knew she was pissed at him.

“I’m sorry, Mom. But when I’m nice and try to explain things, you don’t listen,” Zach said. I watched their dynamic, and it was like bolts of electricity flew through my brain, lifting the fog, and making this whole situation transparent. Dad had suggested that I try to get along better with Wally and Clara, only that’s not what Zach wanted, and that’s not what Zach needed. When I was the bad guy, he could defend me but still stand kind of on the sidelines. When he was the bad guy, he had to take the full force of their direct assault. Now that I knew my role here, I jumped in.

“That’s pretty funny,” I said. “I thought Zach was being pretty nice, putting up with your crap for as long as he did. If anyone should be apologizing, it’s you.”

“Evidently your parents didn’t teach you to respect them,” Wally snarled at me, and as if by magic, the anger and outrage was directed away from Zach, and toward me.

“You have no idea,” I said, and watched Grand try to keep a straight face.

But Grand too had had enough of their drama, and was probably resenting the fact that they’d pulled us into it. “My understanding was that you were free until the 4th of July,” he said to Zach.

“We’ll see about that,” Wally said. Grand ignored him, and focused on Zach.

“I am,” Zach said simply.

“I’m doing some research on the Stuarts and the Bourbons, and how their relationship dominated European politics in the 1600s. I need an intern to come along and help me out. You expressed an interest in that field. I’m wondering if you’d like a short term job.”

“That would be great!” Zach said enthusiastically. He hadn’t expressed any major interest in history, as far as I knew, but like the rest of us, he looked up to Grand, and working with him on anything was likely to be awesome.

“Will this involve alcohol?” Clara asked, her eyes narrowing. We looked at her, kind of surprised, until we realized that when she’d heard the word ‘Bourbon’, she’d thought he was talking about whiskey.

“Bourbon was the family name of the French kings,” Grand said, explaining it to her gently.

“Oh,” she said.

“That will look really good on your college applications,” I told Zach. Grand glanced at me, confirming that was one of his reasons for offering Zach the job.

“I was planning to fly back to California tomorrow,” Grand said. “My intention was that you could go with me, and then meet with your advisor. I’m sure you’ll want to discuss this with him. Then if it’s acceptable to him, you can come up to Palo Alto, and we can leave from there.”

“Where will you be going?” Wally asked. “If he’s working for you, won’t you need to be at Stanford?”

“I’m at the point where I need to be on the ground, and that means I have to go to Paris and London, and possibly Scotland,” Grand said.

“London and Paris?” Zach asked, his eyes wide with anticipation. “I’ve always wanted to go there.”

“They’re awesome cities,” I said, even though my last trip to Paris certainly had been dramatic, and traumatic. But by saying that, I’d shifted the focus back to me.

“What is Will going to do while you’re there?” Wally asked.

“Shop,” I said. I wasn’t a huge shopper like JJ, but Wally didn’t know that. I figured he’d assume that all gay guys were shopaholics like Stef, and he’d buy that line. It seemed to work.

“It is entirely up to you,” Grand said, “but as we plan to leave early in the morning, it may be more convenient for you to stay with us tonight.”

“We can wake him up in the morning,” Clara said, unwilling to let her favorite son escape a minute earlier than he had to.

“Let me think about it,” Zach said. “If I come over, I’ll have Brent give me a lift.”

“You may work that out however you choose. Will or I will call you to tell you exactly when to expect us,” he said.

“That’s fine,” Zach agreed.

“Then we will leave you to say your goodbyes, and to pack,” Grand said to Zach, then turned to Clara. “Thank you for a lovely dinner.”

He stood up, and I mimicked his moves. “Thanks for dinner,” I said to Clara. We got up and walked out of the house, leaving them pretty confused.

Grand held out his hand, demanding the keys. “My turn to drive.”

“Damn,” I said, and smiled as I handed them over. We got in the car, and he fired it up, both of us reveling in the roar of the V-8. I waited until he drove off before we started talking. “Thanks for jumping in like that.”

“I am surprised you felt the need to get involved,” he said, giving me a very unpleasant look. “I would have thought it more appropriate to stay out of their family squabbles.”

“I’d say I was directly involved in this one from the beginning,” I said. “Besides, Zach wanted me to.”

“Zach wanted you to anger his parents?” he asked acidly, challenging my assertion.

“He did,” I said. “Dad told me I should try to get along with Wally and Clara, but Zach needs me to be the foil, the dude who takes the heat from them.” We drove on as he thought about that.

“And what happens when they try to ban you from seeing him?”

“I think they just did that tonight,” I said. “If Zach still wants me in his life, he’ll have to stick up for me.”

“I did not realize you had thought this out,” he said.

“I actually just put it all together tonight, when they were arguing. Zach was pretty embattled, and I realized that if they were pissed at me, then he could defend me and make his point without directly defying them.”

“That is very thoughtful of you, but it won’t endear you to them,” he noted. “And for the next year, they still have some influence over Zach’s life, since he is a minor.”

I shrugged. “Like I said, if he wants me in his life, he’s going to have to fight for me. If he doesn’t, then he’ll have to fight his own battles with them.”

“Indeed,” he noted sagely.

“I appreciate you offering Zach a job. I’d pretty much figured our big world trip was off the table after he talked to his advisor.”

“I am sure you will enjoy this time together,” Grand said, “but that is not why I did it.”

“Why did you do it?” I asked, as he drove up the drive to his house and parked the Corvette in the garage.

“Because I think it is important for Zach to see a bit of the world, and to broaden his horizons,” Grand said, even as we got out and walked out of the garage.

“To give him some perspective,” I suggested.

“Traveling to foreign countries can be very enlightening,” Grand said. “I noticed that it had a relatively large impact on Gathan, so I think it is reasonable to expect a similar result with Zach.”

“That’s what I was trying to do, by giving him that birthday present.”

“And I have just stepped in to make sure the present gets delivered,” he said with a smile. “London and Paris are good starts for an American contemplating a trip abroad.”

“Hopefully Paris will be less dramatic than our last vacation there,” I said and that inevitably reminded me of Robbie, and made me sad.

“One can hope,” he said. “I am going to leave you to your own devices tonight. I have some articles to read.”

“I’ll see you in the morning,” I said. I went up to my room and felt my phone vibrating. I was surprised to see that it was Matt.

“Hey there,” I said pleasantly.

“Hey,” he responded. “What’s your plan?”

“We’re going back to LA tomorrow morning, to spend a few days and meet with Zach’s advisor. Then we’re flying up to Paly for a day or two. Then we’re going to Paris and London with Grand.”

“Who’s ‘we’?” he asked.

“Zach and I,” I told him. “There was a big fight at Wally and Clara’s, so Grand offered Zach a short internship to help him with his research there.”

“As an excuse to free him from Wally and Clara?”

“More or less,” I said. “So you’re off the hook if you don’t want to go with us.”

“I was kind of looking forward to it.” He sounded disappointed.

“Dude, we were totally excited that you were going, and I’d love it if you did, but it’s up to you. I just didn’t want you to feel forced to go.”

“It’s cool. I was going to catch a flight back in the next day or two. I’ll just meet up with you in Malibu.”

“Is everything OK?” He’d been clinging to every second he could grab with Wade, and now he was leaving the day after he got there?

“I’m good. I just don’t belong here,” he said, referring to Boston.

“Then you should come home,” I said, referring to California.

“I’ll see you tomorrow afternoon.”

Copyright © 2014 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 57
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I think Wally made a big mistake trying to control Zach's career. But I guess that was the only thing left after Zach had made it clear that he would work out a way to have Will in his life. Football is the main focus of Zach's life right now, and he's just been firm to the boy he loves about not messing with that. So awesome to see him give his parents the same message, even if they probably don't get it. And perfect that JP was there as an impartial witness.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 04/16/2014 03:53 PM, Timothy M. said:
I think Wally made a big mistake trying to control Zach's career. But I guess that was the only thing left after Zach had made it clear that he would work out a way to have Will in his life. Football is the main focus of Zach's life right now, and he's just been firm to the boy he loves about not messing with that. So awesome to see him give his parents the same message, even if they probably don't get it. And perfect that JP was there as an impartial witness.
I'm sure that Wally and Clara really do want what's best for Zach, but they don't understand their own limitations. Zach does, and he's determined to succeed and to keep them from interfering in his life. They probably see him as a loose cannon destined to self-destruct.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I really liked this chapter on many levels. The resumption of the threesome - if indeed that happened. I will have to go back and carefully re-read that passage...

 

It was good to see Matt come to the realization that he did not belong in Boston. Perhaps this will give him the freedom that he needs in order to succeed in Chicago, and to mature into the man that so many expect him to be. Loved the fashion interplay between JJ and the real estate agent…

 

The scene at Wally and Clara's house was also a good one… I loved the interplay of the characters and Will's realization of how he actually does fit into the dynamics of that family's relationships. It was an interesting card that Zack played tossing out the fact that he would sit out his senior year and then go to the college of his choice, and walk on to the football team. He has very nearly disarmed Wally regarding that level of control over his future. Now he just has to finesse the situation so that he can gain the rest of his freedom, while maintaining the important relationship with Clara and minimizing the damage between him and Wally.

 

To close, I loved the conversation between Will and JP. As that conversation played out I am sure that JP had to feel validated in his observation that Will is the brightest of his grandchildren. Clearly he has the ability to think on his feet and adapt his plan to achieve his goals, even if the path takes unexpected twists and turns; like JP's offer of internship for Zach in Europe, to preserve Will's gift to Zach...

 

Thank you Mark and team!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Hi Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Flux.

 

A great chapter, with some important issues being the addressed. One of the very few things I like about Will is his grasp of his place in Zach's life. He stepped in to help Zach at dinner.

 

I'm nearly 100% sure now that Wade and Matt will be together for the long run. Matt knew his place wasn't in Boston and acted on it.

 

 

Loved the conversation between Will and JP again. JP seems to be the only adult Will respects.

 

I can't say I agree with Kevin though. I feel Darius is the all round best grandson JP has.

 

Looking forward to a less eventful Paris visit.

 

Lots of loving cuddles.

Maarten

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Another great chapter Mark!

 

All the interactions fit nicely, and set the stage for an interesting summer. It will be nice to see the guys in their European vacation--especially what Zach gains from it.

 

My big problem is still the way Zach deals with his parents; he needs to find his inenr strength and tell them his preferences so that they know the basis for his and Will's relationship. Wally said he has no problem with gays, and while that might be true, Zach should use it to his advantage to get them off his back. I hardly think his parents are going to out him and ruin his career, It isn't as if being gay is a surprising thing in the Hayes family. He is also living with Frank and Isidore in California, so it isn't like he has no refuge from Claremont's narrow-minded citizens. In addition, I think he needs to get a new advisor, depending on how his visit with this one goes--he is clearly leaning toward Wally and Clara's side, which Zach doesn't need.

 

It would be great if Zach did develop an interest in Grand's work--he isn't stupid as we know, but I can't recall if he's said what he wants to study in college. And regarding that, I thought Robbie left him a million dollars to go to school--and I hardly think the family will let him flounder financially if worse comes to worst?

 

Coming out is hard, and I fully understand Zach's situation, but since his relationship with his family is already bad, what has he to lose in reality? Mine was complicated by divorced parents and me living at home wit hmy dad and his girlfriend: just before we moved to separate places in '87, he found out through finding a letter of mine...and we pretty much didn't talk for his last thirteen years. My mother who I weekly had once said that she had no problems if I was, but I didn't confirm it to her as she seemed to have a problem with my nephew. My three sisters--all older--knew, but I didn't find that out until about '97 when my nephew told me his preferences. :) I congratulated him on feeling okay with telling me, and he said 'well, I figured it was okay since you are too.' I asked how he knew that and he said all my sisters knew and his mom had told him--total surprise to me! But then, I wasn't out in my small town in highschool, and didn't have a relationship until my last year of college. I know it sounds odd today, but the world was different in the 70s when I was a teenager, and not being around other gay people caused me to develop other aspects of myself. To modern kids, it is likely hard for them to figure out, but my world even today doesn't revolve around being gay--I have gay friends, have dated when I felt the person was right, and attended Pride marches, but it is only one facet of me, not the one which rules my existence. I never lied about my preferences to anyone--if I felt they needed to know, I told them if they asked...if they didn't ask, then there was no need; I picked my friends well, all of them are tolerant and open people, who have been good friends for decades, whether gay or straight. I can imagine some of you saying I am ashamed or afraid of being gay...but you are wrong--it is only between me and who I might see--I am a person first, my private life is just that, private and not something others need to have control over. I think it is a product of my small town roots--be open with your neighbors, lend support where needed, and respect their privacy as you expect from them. The goal is to be a 'Good Man' and not 'King of The Heap'.

 

I digress, sorry. I can understand Zach's dilemma, but for his own sanity, he needs to let Wally and Clara know what is going on before they destroy him emotionally. Surely Frank and Grand must see that?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

JP has the gravitas and experience to handle situations. Will is starting to get a better understanding of his relationship with Zach and Zach is growing up.

Wally and Clara really don't stand a chance.

Matt and Wade are moving on and it seems Matt is beginning to realize how big a change he is going through. The comment about hockey was revealing.

:2thumbs: More please!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

A truly wonderful chapter. The writing and pacing was just perfect. The undercurrents in this story are just so well done and subtle but telling.

 

The scene in Boston was sad in some regards. Matt is realizing that Wade just isn't as much of his life as he wanted, the relationship with Brad rendered that more than I think anyone realizes yet. I still hope they end up together but am beginning to see that they would both survive without each other, but how sad... The two of them getting together with Tiffany was funny, what if there were consequences from that encounter on top of Matt being with Mary Ellen? JJ is close to Matt and will really miss him when he is in Boston with Wade and Tiffany. I am not sure that Wade has realized what he risked losing by getting involved with Brad.

 

JP and Will both handled themselves correctly. I was glad that Will has begun to understand how he fits into Zach's relationship with his parents. Just a look or word from JP is enough to steer the conversation into safer waters, or at least bring others into line a bit better. JP is offiering Zach more than just a job. Being able to travel and experience the world, especially at that age has so many benefits; it is a gift beyond measure. Glad to see that Will really wants Matt around, the phone call was just sad. I think Will and Zach will have a great time on their trip with Matt around and JP giving some guidance from near and far...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

We know know that Wally was at least on board with separating the boys "for the good of Zach's career" if not the instigator.

I absolutely love the way JP shut Wally and his rude behavior down before dinner.

It's nice to see that Will is thinking at least some things through and it is not all knee jerk reactions.

Matt seems to finally be seeing things the way they are rather than the way he wants them. We shall see.

As always, a very enjoyable chapter. Thank you!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I think people forget how very young Matt and Wade are. Yes they have been through a lot together, but this isn't the 1950's where you marry your college sweetheart. So many people, straight & gay don't get married until their late 20's, early 30's. Of all my first cousins, 25-35, only 2 of the 10 are married and only a couple are in serious relationships.

 

As to Zach and Will, I find it interesting that Frank wasn't there, given that he is now Zach's de facto guardian and that he seems to be the one who can tell Wally the way things are and Wally is afraid to push back.

 

Did I miss a chapter? I don't recall a Matt/Wade/Tiffany hook up?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/16/2014 05:11 PM, KevinD said:
I really liked this chapter on many levels. The resumption of the threesome - if indeed that happened. I will have to go back and carefully re-read that passage...

 

It was good to see Matt come to the realization that he did not belong in Boston. Perhaps this will give him the freedom that he needs in order to succeed in Chicago, and to mature into the man that so many expect him to be. Loved the fashion interplay between JJ and the real estate agent…

 

The scene at Wally and Clara's house was also a good one… I loved the interplay of the characters and Will's realization of how he actually does fit into the dynamics of that family's relationships. It was an interesting card that Zack played tossing out the fact that he would sit out his senior year and then go to the college of his choice, and walk on to the football team. He has very nearly disarmed Wally regarding that level of control over his future. Now he just has to finesse the situation so that he can gain the rest of his freedom, while maintaining the important relationship with Clara and minimizing the damage between him and Wally.

 

To close, I loved the conversation between Will and JP. As that conversation played out I am sure that JP had to feel validated in his observation that Will is the brightest of his grandchildren. Clearly he has the ability to think on his feet and adapt his plan to achieve his goals, even if the path takes unexpected twists and turns; like JP's offer of internship for Zach in Europe, to preserve Will's gift to Zach...

 

Thank you Mark and team!

I'm so glad you liked it.

 

I think that one of the things that Will really likes about Zach is that he can be a real prick, only he doesn't treat Will that way. I thought the after-dinner argument was a classic example of that, and of how quick Zach can manipulate a situation. He's a guy that probably lands on top (well, except in bed) ;-)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/16/2014 05:57 PM, shyboy85 said:
Hi Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Flux.

 

A great chapter, with some important issues being the addressed. One of the very few things I like about Will is his grasp of his place in Zach's life. He stepped in to help Zach at dinner.

 

I'm nearly 100% sure now that Wade and Matt will be together for the long run. Matt knew his place wasn't in Boston and acted on it.

 

 

Loved the conversation between Will and JP again. JP seems to be the only adult Will respects.

 

I can't say I agree with Kevin though. I feel Darius is the all round best grandson JP has.

 

Looking forward to a less eventful Paris visit.

 

Lots of loving cuddles.

Maarten

Thanks Maarten! I'm glad you found something about Will to like. It will make those occasional chapters that feature him a bit more bearable for you. :-)

 

Kevin actually said that Will was the brightest of JP's grandsons, which is something JP himself has noted. That doesn't mean he's the best, it just means he's the smartest. JP tends to be a bit of an intellectual snob, in that he's not really going to be able to let stupid people get as close to him as smart people. He's going to find himself naturally inclined toward Will as the grandchild he spends time with, because he will find the conversation stimulating, and he will have a hard time resisting the urge to mold a sharp mind.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/16/2014 10:57 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Another great chapter Mark!

 

All the interactions fit nicely, and set the stage for an interesting summer. It will be nice to see the guys in their European vacation--especially what Zach gains from it.

 

My big problem is still the way Zach deals with his parents; he needs to find his inenr strength and tell them his preferences so that they know the basis for his and Will's relationship. Wally said he has no problem with gays, and while that might be true, Zach should use it to his advantage to get them off his back. I hardly think his parents are going to out him and ruin his career, It isn't as if being gay is a surprising thing in the Hayes family. He is also living with Frank and Isidore in California, so it isn't like he has no refuge from Claremont's narrow-minded citizens. In addition, I think he needs to get a new advisor, depending on how his visit with this one goes--he is clearly leaning toward Wally and Clara's side, which Zach doesn't need.

 

It would be great if Zach did develop an interest in Grand's work--he isn't stupid as we know, but I can't recall if he's said what he wants to study in college. And regarding that, I thought Robbie left him a million dollars to go to school--and I hardly think the family will let him flounder financially if worse comes to worst?

 

Coming out is hard, and I fully understand Zach's situation, but since his relationship with his family is already bad, what has he to lose in reality? Mine was complicated by divorced parents and me living at home wit hmy dad and his girlfriend: just before we moved to separate places in '87, he found out through finding a letter of mine...and we pretty much didn't talk for his last thirteen years. My mother who I weekly had once said that she had no problems if I was, but I didn't confirm it to her as she seemed to have a problem with my nephew. My three sisters--all older--knew, but I didn't find that out until about '97 when my nephew told me his preferences. :) I congratulated him on feeling okay with telling me, and he said 'well, I figured it was okay since you are too.' I asked how he knew that and he said all my sisters knew and his mom had told him--total surprise to me! But then, I wasn't out in my small town in highschool, and didn't have a relationship until my last year of college. I know it sounds odd today, but the world was different in the 70s when I was a teenager, and not being around other gay people caused me to develop other aspects of myself. To modern kids, it is likely hard for them to figure out, but my world even today doesn't revolve around being gay--I have gay friends, have dated when I felt the person was right, and attended Pride marches, but it is only one facet of me, not the one which rules my existence. I never lied about my preferences to anyone--if I felt they needed to know, I told them if they asked...if they didn't ask, then there was no need; I picked my friends well, all of them are tolerant and open people, who have been good friends for decades, whether gay or straight. I can imagine some of you saying I am ashamed or afraid of being gay...but you are wrong--it is only between me and who I might see--I am a person first, my private life is just that, private and not something others need to have control over. I think it is a product of my small town roots--be open with your neighbors, lend support where needed, and respect their privacy as you expect from them. The goal is to be a 'Good Man' and not 'King of The Heap'.

 

I digress, sorry. I can understand Zach's dilemma, but for his own sanity, he needs to let Wally and Clara know what is going on before they destroy him emotionally. Surely Frank and Grand must see that?

Thank you so much for the review, and for sharing so much of what you dealt with. That gives me the perspective to understand where you're coming from.

 

Zach is probably to the point where he's admitted that he's gay to himself, and that's it. He hasn't even admitted it to Will, even though it's obvious. Gathan knows he is, and Brent probably suspects he is, so besides the people at Escorial, Zach's world is pretty sealed off. My point is that you're suggesting that he come out to his parents, but he hasn't really even come out to himself yet.

 

Further, I would think that the more people he is open about his sexuality with, the more likely it will be that he thinks he'll slip up. Note that the key word in that last sentence was 'he thinks'. He'll want to keep the circle pretty small, and by not telling his parents, that makes it less official, and helps him keep control of his world.

 

The final aspect of that is that if he did tell Wally and Clara he was gay, and that he and Will are together, it is highly likely they won't react well to that at all. Their big concern is for Zach's football future, and they would see that as a HUGE threat. Zach is still a minor, so although he could try and fight his way out of problems with his parents, they still have some big cards to play.

 

Bottom line: the risks are too high for Zach to come out to them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/16/2014 10:59 PM, Daddydavek said:
JP has the gravitas and experience to handle situations. Will is starting to get a better understanding of his relationship with Zach and Zach is growing up.

Wally and Clara really don't stand a chance.

Matt and Wade are moving on and it seems Matt is beginning to realize how big a change he is going through. The comment about hockey was revealing.

:2thumbs: More please!

Great points as always! I agree with you on the hockey issue. I think that's important because it's less about giving up his college jock lifestyle, but more about how Matt's life is evolving in general. If we flip back to Bloodlines, hockey and Wade were the most important things to Matt by the end of that book. At this point, he's lost both of them.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/17/2014 01:58 AM, centexhairysub said:
A truly wonderful chapter. The writing and pacing was just perfect. The undercurrents in this story are just so well done and subtle but telling.

 

The scene in Boston was sad in some regards. Matt is realizing that Wade just isn't as much of his life as he wanted, the relationship with Brad rendered that more than I think anyone realizes yet. I still hope they end up together but am beginning to see that they would both survive without each other, but how sad... The two of them getting together with Tiffany was funny, what if there were consequences from that encounter on top of Matt being with Mary Ellen? JJ is close to Matt and will really miss him when he is in Boston with Wade and Tiffany. I am not sure that Wade has realized what he risked losing by getting involved with Brad.

 

JP and Will both handled themselves correctly. I was glad that Will has begun to understand how he fits into Zach's relationship with his parents. Just a look or word from JP is enough to steer the conversation into safer waters, or at least bring others into line a bit better. JP is offiering Zach more than just a job. Being able to travel and experience the world, especially at that age has so many benefits; it is a gift beyond measure. Glad to see that Will really wants Matt around, the phone call was just sad. I think Will and Zach will have a great time on their trip with Matt around and JP giving some guidance from near and far...

Thank you so much for the compliments. I find myself, once again, reading your review and nodding my head.

 

You picked up something that I think is actually really sweet: the way JP and Will can communicate so well non-verbally. They can exchange a look, or a gesture, and be simpatico. That takes some skill, and a deep relationship.

 

It's also interesting how Matt and Will went from feuding, to now wanting to spend time together. It's insightful that Matt called Will when he was bumming out in Boston. I think both of them are realizing that their relationship is important for a lot of different reasons. They must partially represent a life raft for each other.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/17/2014 02:01 AM, Kitt said:
We know know that Wally was at least on board with separating the boys "for the good of Zach's career" if not the instigator.

I absolutely love the way JP shut Wally and his rude behavior down before dinner.

It's nice to see that Will is thinking at least some things through and it is not all knee jerk reactions.

Matt seems to finally be seeing things the way they are rather than the way he wants them. We shall see.

As always, a very enjoyable chapter. Thank you!

Kitt,

 

Some really good observations there. Thanks for the review.

I think it's probable that Wally masterminded the scheme to have the advisor separate Will and Zach, especially when we consider that it really wasn't all that ingenious of a scheme.

That thing that Brad noted about Will, and about how he was maturing enough to see the connections, was pretty astute, and i think that's what we're seeing here.

 

Matt is definitely learning some mirroring skills.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/17/2014 08:57 AM, PrivateTim said:
I think people forget how very young Matt and Wade are. Yes they have been through a lot together, but this isn't the 1950's where you marry your college sweetheart. So many people, straight & gay don't get married until their late 20's, early 30's. Of all my first cousins, 25-35, only 2 of the 10 are married and only a couple are in serious relationships.

 

As to Zach and Will, I find it interesting that Frank wasn't there, given that he is now Zach's de facto guardian and that he seems to be the one who can tell Wally the way things are and Wally is afraid to push back.

 

Did I miss a chapter? I don't recall a Matt/Wade/Tiffany hook up?

Thanks for the review! I always look forward to reading your comments, and you never fail to leave them, which is nicely symbiotic. :-)

 

Great point on Wade and Matt and their relative youth. They are definitely mature for their age, but 22/23 is not the height of development. It's like undergrad plus.

 

Frank doesn't seem to like to travel all that much. He'll go where he has to go, but he's not the jet-setter. I think if you factor that in, plus consider that this time with Zach being in Claremont was probably supposed to be time for him to spend primarily with Wally and Clara, and it makes sense that he wouldn't be around.

 

I didn't go into the details of the Tiffany-Matt-Wade sexual encounter/redux for two reasons. First of all, I always get whining when I put pussy in a chapter. ;-) Secondly, I just wasn't in the mood to write the scene.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

It's probably best that Will sticks to his guns. Wally and Clara aren't going to like him no matter what, I have a feeling they would probably feel that way even if Will was straight. They thought Will being gay gave them a chance to manipulate Zach with fears over his future. I'm proud of Zach for showing some back bone. Good work, thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/19/2014 02:31 AM, Miles Long said:
It's probably best that Will sticks to his guns. Wally and Clara aren't going to like him no matter what, I have a feeling they would probably feel that way even if Will was straight. They thought Will being gay gave them a chance to manipulate Zach with fears over his future. I'm proud of Zach for showing some back bone. Good work, thanks.
You make a good point about Wally and Clara not liking Will because he's gay. That could be one of the things they latch onto, but in reality, they're probably most upset that Zach is so independent now, and that's what they probably blame Will for.

It's unfortunate that Wally and Clara don't realize that Zach's independent streak is developing more because of his age, and natural maturing process, than because of Will. Although Will probably doesn't help. ;-)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Obviously it is too late now, but Matt would be eligible to play club hockey at the University of Chicago. It is not like the NCAA DI where you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. If you went to Stanfurd for undergrad, masters and phd you could play club hockey all 9 years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, PrivateTim said:

Obviously it is too late now, but Matt would be eligible to play club hockey at the University of Chicago. It is not like the NCAA DI where you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility. If you went to Stanfurd for undergrad, masters and phd you could play club hockey all 9 years.

That’s possible but Matt probably hadn’t figured that out and I opted not to dive into NCAA eligibility rules. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..