Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,406 Words
  • 8,239 Views
  • 33 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flux - 40. Chapter 40

August 4, 2002

Boston

 

Matt

 

There are times in my life where things are good, really good, and this was one of those times. It made me nervous, as if these good times would have to be paid back later with compound interest, but the last two weeks had been so shitty, I decided that I’d already paid for these good times in advance.

Wade and I had spent the entire day of our arrival in our room, fucking and reconnecting, and it had done much to make me feel better about us. I was starting to see how this relationship with Alex was working for him, and I was getting an even better picture of how I fit into it. It was almost like we were sharing Wade, and while that had initially worried me, thinking that I’d just be getting the scraps; I was learning that it wasn’t like that at all. All that time in college, when Wade had wanted to spark up another relationship, I’d been fanatically jealous, but this time I wasn’t. I think that’s because I realized that there were things Alex could give Wade that I couldn’t, and I definitely knew there were things I could give Wade that Alex couldn’t.

Even the HIV scare was looking like it might be just that. Wade had called Jack and made me talk to him, and he told me it was likely that I’d never be able to get an accurate HIV reading with an ELISA test. He told me that when I got tested again, I needed to tell them that. He’d been seriously annoyed with the lab, because they weren’t supposed to disclose the results of the ELISA test if it was positive without doing the Western Blot, but I’d calmed him down. He’d given me hope, and I was happy.

We were walking through the house with the new contractor Wade had hired. We’d come over here yesterday and found that not much had been done. Wade had been livid, in his own way, and had curtly fired the contractor, and then he’d gotten on the phone and interviewed a few other guys. He’d finally settled on this dude, a guy named Craig Fester, who was thirty years old with a wife and two kids, and very hungry for the business.

Craig had been making frantic notes as we went, and I almost snickered when I saw Wade looking at them to see how organized they were. They were pretty well done, which made Wade happy. We finally finished talking about all of the changes with him, and we went back down to the main level.

“Mr. Danfield, can you give me a few minutes to put together an estimate for you?” he asked politely.

“Certainly,” Wade said. He walked into the kitchen, so he could write on the counter, while we stayed in the spacious drawing room. “What do you think?”

“I like him. He needs the business,” I said.

“That’s my take on it too. Do you think he’ll be able to line up the crews to do it?”

I thought about that for a minute, and nodded. “He seems like a pretty together guy.”

“I talked to Tiffany on the phone, and she said she and JJ and the kids were going up to Escorial tomorrow. I was thinking about going out there to meet them.” I didn’t say anything; I just looked at him, since he hadn’t asked me to go with him. I was certainly welcome there, but I wanted him to tell me that he wanted me there. “I don’t know what your plans are, but I’d like it if you came with me.”

“You usually cum with me,” I said with a leer. “We’re that good.” That actually made him giggle, which was hilarious. Wade was not a giggly kind of guy.

“We are that good,” he agreed.

“I’m with you,” I said, and almost regretted it, because it sounded like I was making some kind of commitment, but he took it all in stride.

“I’m glad,” he said. “I was thinking that I would invite Alex too. That way we could show him around Paly.” He looked at me nervously, but I was relaxed about that now.

“I think that’s a great idea,” I said, and watched him beam with happiness. “I’d like a chance to hang out with him, now that I’m not ready to kill him for stealing you away.”

“I think he’d like that too,” Wade said.

“How are you going to work that when he’s here?” I asked nervously.

“What do you mean?”

“You can only be in one bed at a time,” I said.

He stepped in front of me and put his hands around my neck, then pulled me in for a loving kiss. “I’ll have to divide my time, but we both know which room I’d rather be in.”

“I think Stef’s planning to go to Chicago on the 6th, so that doesn’t give me much time there anyway,” I said.

“I talked to JP, and he said Stef had decided to go out to Chicago later on. I think he had some big scheduling conflict,” he said.

“That’s news to me,” I said, “but it works. That way Will can jet off to get Zach, and we can hang out at Escorial.”

“I want you to know how much I appreciate the way you handled this, and the way you forgave me for hurting you,” he said.

“I think we talked about this, and we decided the guilt is over,” I said firmly.

He leaned in, pressing his body against mine, and kissed me again, then whispered in my ear. “I hope we’re done here soon. I want to get to the airport, get on a plane, and fuck.”

“OK,” I said, smiling. I’d forgotten how Wade was when he was in another relationship. When he’d started dating Sean, it had just fired up his libido, and we’d ended up having more sex than we had before he was hooking up with Sean. And now with Alex, he was doing the same thing.

“Um, I’m sorry to interrupt you two,” Craig said as he came into the room. We both looked at him, trying to figure out if he was disgusted by seeing us make out, but he was smiling and blushing. Not that we weren’t.

“Not a problem,” Wade said. He kept me there, in front of him, until our erections deflated enough that we could turn around and talk to Craig.

“This is a big job. It’s going to cost $250,000, assuming there are no cost overruns, and there always are.” He paused. “I didn’t include the price of more expensive materials either, so if you guys pick out a really exotic stone for the bathrooms, and things like that, it will cost more.”

“That’s fine,” Wade said. It was funny to see Craig get a little shocked when Wade didn’t bat an eye. “How long will it take?”

“Six weeks,” he said.

“I can’t do that,” Wade said. “I need to have this place done by the end of August.”

The guy looked really stymied by that. “Can you do that?” I asked.

He thought about it, and got resolved. “I can, but it’s going to cost another $25,000. Rush jobs are expensive.”

“That’s fine,” Wade said.

“No, it’s not,” I said, intervening. Wade looked annoyed with me, and Craig was confused. “If you get it done by August 28th, we’ll spot you an extra $25,000 on top of that.”

“An extra fifty grand?” Craig asked, smiling. “Done.”

“I’ll be in California, and then traveling around,” Wade said, “but you can reach me on my cell phone.”

“That’s fine, Mr. Danfield. I just need you to sign off on this work order, and on this paper approving the estimate.” Craig made quick notes to add in the $50,000 bonus if the work was done by August 28th. Wade scanned the papers, and satisfied himself that it was what we’d agreed on, and then wrote Craig a check to give him some working capital.

“Keep me posted on your progress,” Wade said in a friendly way. “I’d appreciate an update on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If you can’t reach me, just leave a message. Or better yet, e-mail me.”

“Yes, sir,” Craig said. He got Wade’s email address; we shook hands with him, and then got into our car for the drive to the airport.

“You just burned through another $25,000 of my money,” Wade said, pretending to be annoyed.

I shrugged. “Stef has guys swarming all over our building in Chicago every day, because he overpays them. I’m guessing that it’s worth $25,000 for you to have Riley here, and to keep JJ mollified.”

“That’s a good guess.” My phone rang, and I looked at the number and got a really apprehensive look on my face. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s the clinic,” I said with dread. “Matt Carrswold,” I said as I answered. The nurse identified herself and the clinic.

“Mr. Carrswold, I have some information for you, but I’ll need your access code.” I gave her the code, trying not to stammer as I did. “The Western Blot results came back, and they were negative. Despite the ELISA positive, we can now conclude that as of the test date, you are HIV negative.” I just stared at the phone, so happy I was dazed. “Mr. Carrswold?”

“Yes, thank you. Thank you very much,” I said. Wade could tell by my huge smile and my words that it was good news. “I’m negative! I’m negative!”

He gave me a massive hug, and we just held on to each other, so happy that I didn’t have ‘it’. “I’m so glad,” he said. “I am so glad.”

I pulled away from him and looked into his eyes, and I could see that they were watery, and they were happy. I mentally kicked myself for all the times I’d doubted that he loved me. He did, and there was no question about it. “I have a call to make.”

“To who?”

“Will. He can be my messenger.” I dialed his number, wondering if I’d get him, since with the time lag, it was the middle of the night in Hawaii.

“Hello,” he said.

“You don’t sound very tired,” I teased. “You must have been awake.”

“I am awake.”

“It’s the middle of the night,” I said.

“Then maybe I was getting laid.”

“Were you?”

“I was,” he said. “Kai came up to spend the night.”

“Awesome,” I said. “Wade and I are flying out to Escorial, and he’s going to have Alex fly out and meet us too.”

“So you guys worked things out?”

“We did,” I said, and couldn’t stop myself from sounding almost giddy. “I need you to do me a favor.”

“What?”

“When you see your dad, tell him I got my other test back, and it was negative.”

“You’re negative?” he asked, and I could hear the excitement growing in his voice.

“I am,” I confirmed.

“Dude, that is the best fucking news,” he said.

“Thanks,” I said. I hung up and called JP to let him know, and even though he was much more sedate, I could tell that he was pretty fucking happy too.

We drove up to the plane and got out, even as the pilots took our bags. “We’ve got a flight plan for Palo Alto, Mr. Danfield,” the pilot said.

“Excellent,” Wade said, and climbed up into the plane.

“Dude, you just asked me about this, but you already had it all set up,” I accused.

He shrugged. “I was betting you’d say yes.”

“When does Alex get in?”

“On August 6th,” he said.

This was a chartered plane, so it didn’t have a sleeping compartment, but it did have a big bathroom. As soon as we were airborne, Wade led me back there. “Someone is horny.”

“I am so fucking horny,” he said, and his voice was so lusty, so urgent, that it just fueled my libido. He dropped his pants, and he was already hard as a rock.

“My turn,” I said, handing him the lube, even as I dropped my pants and leaned over the sink.

“No condom?” he asked.

“Let’s celebrate,” I said, and then got worried that I was pushing him to do something he didn’t want to do. “But only if you want to.”

“I want to,” Wade said. And then he fucked me, and even though we were in the bathroom, I could tell that he was putting everything, all his feelings for me, into it. And it was just as terrific as it always was.

 

August 4, 2002

Maui

Brad

 

I lay on my back panting, with cum all over my chest, while Scott smiled down at me. “I think you liked that,” he said, being cocky.

“I think you’re right,” I said. “You’re really good. In fact, you’re so good; I’m trying to figure out if you’re better at fucking or surfing.”

He gave me his shit-eating grin, sucking up my praise. “I think I’m good at both.”

“You would,” I said, teasing him.

“See what you missed out on all those years?”

“I didn’t miss out on anything,” I told him. “We’re good like this because of what we’ve learned along the way.”

“Or maybe we’re good like this because we like each other.”

“That can’t be it,” I said, and we both laughed. There was a knock on the door, and before we could say anything, Will burst in. I jumped under the covers, and got cum all over the sheets, which would have annoyed me if they didn’t already need to be changed. Scott just lay there, sprawled on his back, with the condom still on his deflating dick. “Here,” I said, holding up the sheet so Scott could get under there with me.

“He likes to look at me,” Scott said, but he covered himself up with the sheet anyway. Will blushed about three shades of red when he said that, but I figured I’d find out about that later.

“Here’s the way this works. You knock, you wait until I say ‘come in’, then you come in,” I said to him, fully venting my irritation.

“I just got some important news, but if you don’t want to hear it, I’ll just tell you in the morning,” he said, and made to walk out of the room. He was such a little shit, especially since he knew most of my weaknesses.

“Fine,” I said, stopping him. “What is this news that’s so important?”

“I’ll make you a deal,” he said. “If it’s important news, we fly back to Escorial today. If it isn’t, we can stay here for as long as you want.”

“Even beyond the 8th?” I asked. That’s when Zach came back.

“Even beyond the 8th.” That meant it was really important.

“Fine. What’s this important news?”

“Matt called. He got the results of his other test back. He’s negative.”

“He doesn’t have HIV?” I asked, just to confirm it.

“Nope, he doesn’t,” he said. I smiled at him, and I was so happy I almost couldn’t express it. It had been devastating to think that Matt had that disease. After I’d found out about Kevin, Cody, and Alex Danvers, I’d boned up on the current issues with HIV and AIDS, and I’d gotten more relaxed about it. In my younger days, if you got HIV, you were a dead man. It was only a matter of time. Now it wasn’t like that, but it was still bad news. I was euphoric that Matt had dodged the bullet this time.

“I’ll call the pilots and let them know we’re leaving at nine,” I said.

“Sorry I interrupted you,” he said to me, then walked up and gave Scott a really nice kiss, one that was way beyond friendly. “You’re hot.”

“I know,” Scott said.

“Got him all fired up for you again,” Will said as he winked at me, then he left us alone.

“Sucks that you have to leave so soon,” Scott said.

“I’ll be back,” I promised.

August 5, 2002

Escorial

 

“When does Alex get in?” I asked Wade, as we rode across the Stanford lands. He was riding Gunpowder, and I was on Charger. It seemed like they hadn’t been getting much exercise, so we’d run them pretty hard, but it still didn’t seem to settle them down all that much.

“His flight gets in tomorrow. I think it lands in the early afternoon.”

“He’ll barely get to see Will. He’s leaving on the 7th to go to Claremont to pick up Zach.”

“I think that an evening is probably enough for Alex to spend with him,” he joked.

“That’s probably true,” I said, laughing. “You seem to have worked things out with Matt. Does that mean things aren’t good with Alex?”

“No,” he said firmly, then smiled. “They’re great. Great with both of them.”

“I’m impressed. I was never able to pull that off.”

“As a matter of fact, you were,” he said, correcting me. “You had a pretty intense threesome going on with Robbie and Kevin at one time. And with Cody too, if memory serves.”

“True,” I said, “but that seems different than what you have.”

“Maybe it is.” We rode on, while he chose his words. “Alex had given me the answer to making this so easy on all of us, but I was so fucking infatuated with him, and so blinded by it, that I completely fucked things up.”

“How did he do that?”

“He told me that he wanted to be together, and that we’d be exclusive, but he gave me a pass to fuck around with Matt.”

“That’s pretty surprising.”

“It is. But I think it will work just fine. Alex doesn’t really have a very active libido, so I don’t think he’s all that upset about someone else helping take care of me. And as long as Matt has part of my heart and part of my body, he’s pretty happy with things too.”

“But are you happy?” I asked him.

“Oh yeah,” he said, cracking me up. “I really fucked Matt over these past few weeks. I’d known I’d been awful, but when Will called me on it, he really made me see how bad I’d been.”

“He has an annoying way of doing that,” I grumbled.

“He does,” Wade said, chuckling. “So I came over here, we fucked a whole bunch of times, and Matt told me that basically he’d forgive me for being a douchebag with Alex if I’d forgive him for all the shit he’d pulled after 9-11.”

“That sounds like a fair deal,” I said, more to spur the conversation on than anything.

“I talked to David about it,” Wade said, referring to his shrink. “He said that he thinks one of the reasons I’m so happy is because that simple deal has let me put my guilt behind me, and it’s let Matt do the same thing. And it’s taken away my anger at him for all the shit that he did.”

“I’m really glad that you’re so happy,” I said. I wasn’t sure how this whole relationship was going to work out, but it seemed like Wade thought it would be fine, and he was a pretty smart guy.

“Matt says he’s waiting for something to fuck things up, because we never really get to have smooth sailing for long.” In a twisted way, that was funny, and it made me laugh. “I’m a little nervous about Alex coming out here. I’m hoping that goes well.”

“I thought you said it was good?”

“It is good, but sometimes shit can happen here,” he said, referring to Escorial.

“This much is true,” I agreed, and chuckled with him.

He looked at his watch. “I need to get back. Tiffany, JJ, and the kids are supposed to be here soon.” We reversed course and headed back to the house, and got there well before the group from Malibu arrived. I took that opportunity to escape and go take a nap.

I’d set my alarm for 6:00pm, to give myself time to take a shower and get ready. It wasn’t Sunday, when dinners here were more formal, but it was a big deal, since we’d all been travelling, and we’d all ended up converging here together. I walked up to the dining room early, and it was a good thing, since I spent a lot of time greeting everyone. Claire and Jack were here, and so were Tiffany and JJ. Mother and Frank sat at their end of the table, while JP and Stef sat at theirs. Will was here, along with Matt and Wade, and even John and Marie had come up.

“We have quite a gathering tonight,” JP said, smiling contentedly. He liked to have big dinners, so this was a banner day for him. “It will be a large group tomorrow as well. We will lose Will, but we will gain Lord Bridgemont.”

“He’s a real lord?” John asked.

“Yes; he’s an Earl,” JP explained.

“What do we call him? Do we have to call him ‘my lord’?” Marie asked.

“Like I’m doing that,” JJ said. I zeroed in on him, and correctly discerned that he was in one of his shit disturbing moods.

“He wants you all to call him Alex,” Wade said. “He said that’s appropriate when he’s in America, where there are no titles.”

“Did you finally start working on the house in Boston?” JJ asked Wade. He was really being rude, and there was no excuse for it. I looked at JP and saw his eye twitch in irritation.

“I just came from Boston,” Wade explained calmly. “The original contractor had dropped the ball, so I hired a new guy.”

“Well if it’s not done by August 15, I’m not moving to Boston,” JJ said, and folded his arms. “And don’t expect me to be nice to your English boyfriend. You spent all your time over there, chasing him around, when you didn’t get anything done on the house.”

Tiffany cringed, because JJ was putting her into a tight squeeze, but JJ’s bitchy mood had finally annoyed JP. “When Alex comes to visit, you will treat him with the utmost respect and courtesy,” he said to JJ.

“I’ll be nice to him here,” JJ said. “Boston is another story.” I looked at the dynamic, and realized that I’d been oblivious to what was happening with JJ and Tiffany’s move to Boston. I’d only looked at it from my own perspective, and I’d been fine with it because it was close to New York, so I could visit them when I was out there. But JJ had clearly been power tripping over this, and he’d been all but blackmailing Wade. If he didn’t go to Boston, it was unlikely that Tiffany would, and that meant Wade wouldn’t be around Riley. That infuriated me, that JJ would be such a bitchy diva that he’d try and keep Wade and Riley separated.

“JJ, I know you’re going to like Boston,” Tiffany said. She was good with JJ to a point, but she tended to give him a pretty free rein, and didn’t hold him accountable for his diva behavior. I chided myself as soon as I thought that, because it wasn’t her fault. I hadn’t given her or Wade any authority over JJ, so now he was all but controlling their lives.

“When is your next competition?” I asked. It was funny how everyone at the table except JJ seemed really annoyed that I was seemingly letting him get away with being a total ass.

“It’s in Oberstdorf, Germany, from September 4th through the 7th,” he said. “That’s the competition for the Nebelhorn Trophy.” He looked at us like we were idiots for not knowing what that was, but I’d vaguely remembered him doing that last year.

“I can’t go to that one,” Will said.

“Neither can JJ,” I said. I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. “You can skip it.”

“What?” he asked, outraged. “You can’t do this to me! You can’t ruin my career. I have worked my ass off to rebuild my reputation.”

“You are behaving like a spoiled brat, and you’re being rude to other family members. You’re not treating Wade or Tiffany with respect, when they do nothing but try to accommodate you. So you can skip this next competition, and maybe that will focus your attention on your behavior.” I said that with real anger and venom, and that had shocked everyone but JJ.

“You totally ignore me and what I’m doing, and then you suddenly come breezing into my life and fuck up my career! You don’t know what I’m doing. You don’t care!”

JP looked at him, with that calm but condescending expression. “I will thank you to watch your language at the dinner table.”

“Then maybe I shouldn’t even be here,” he said, and stood up to leave.

“You will sit down, and you will be polite, and you will eat with us, or I will cancel your whole goddam season,” I said. He glared at me, and then sat down in a huff. “You give me a bad time for not being around, but you pointedly avoid us. And when you are around, you are so prickly; it makes us glad when you aren’t.”

“JJ, you’ll be fine missing the Nebelhorn,” Tiffany said soothingly. “But you won’t be fine if you miss more than that.”

“You wouldn’t do that to me,” he snarled at me. “You wouldn’t destroy my whole career.”

“If your career makes you an asshole, which it is obviously doing, then I will happily end it,” I said firmly. It was funny, because if I’d taken this kind of approach with Will, there would have been massive fireworks, and he’d already have stormed out of here. Darius wouldn’t say anything; he’d just glare at me until I got tired of ranting at him. But JJ was the least mature of them, and I’d learned that if he was going to act like a child, I had to treat him like a child.

“What’s your next competition after that?”

“I’m not telling you. If I do, you’ll just cancel that one too!”

“When is his next competition after that?” I asked Tiffany.

“The New England Sectionals, in early October,” she said.

“I think I’ll just stay in Malibu, away from you,” JJ spat at me. “Then I’ll do the Pacific Sectionals.”

“You will not do the Pacific Sectionals, because you will be in Boston,” I said firmly. “And it’s quite possible that you won’t get to do the New England Sectionals, if you keep this up.”

“Missing that one would damage him,” Tiffany said nervously.

“Then he had better modify his behavior so he gets to participate,” I said, talking to her, but staring at him. “You have amazing talent, but it has made you into a complete asshole,” I said, now talking to JJ. “I have no problem trading your skating career for your improved behavior.”

“If you end my career, it won’t change a thing,” he said. “I can be just as bad if I’m not skating.”

“I guess we’ll see if you make the decision to find out,” I said. “I’ve made the call on Germany. That’s your punishment for being a real jerk. But since you pointed out that I won’t be around you on a constant basis when you’re in Boston, I’ll leave it up to Wade as to whether you participate in the New England Regionals, or any of the other competitions beyond that.”

JJ sat there dumbfounded, and looked at me, then at Tiffany, and then at Wade. JJ had been holding this over Wade, threatening to really mess up his life, but I’d just upset his entire strategy. The power structure in Boston had completely changed. “I think that is a very good decision,” JP said. “Wade has excellent judgment.”

“Yeah, really excellent. Like when he hired that first contractor,” JJ said sarcastically.

“You can leave this table,” I said. When JJ was fighting like this, he tended to be focused on what he was doing, and he tended to ignore the reactions of everyone else. Now that he saw them, he seemed surprised to find less than supportive looks from the others at this table. He looked earnestly at Matt and Will, since they’d be the most likely candidates to stick up for him, but they sat there placidly, refusing to intervene.

“Fine,” he said, and stood up, tossed his napkin on his plate, and marched out of the room.

“I’m certainly glad you dealt with that before Alex gets here,” Claire said. Of course she’d be the most nervous about appearances.

“Hopefully that will make your home life a little more pleasant,” I said to Wade.

“He’s just agitated about the uncertainty over this move to Boston,” Tiffany said, trying to come to his defense.

“Bullshit,” Will said. “He’s just trying to control your lives in Boston, and he’s trying to make sure everything there revolves around him.” Will and Tiffany locked eyes, until Tiffany finally nodded, accepting that Will was right.

“I don’t want to hurt his career. I’ll do everything I can to help him,” Wade said. It was impossible not to hear the sincerity in his voice. “But he’s been holding this move over my head, threatening to keep Tiffany and Riley in Malibu, and it’s made the whole thing a lot more stressful.”

“Perhaps this conversation will help to change that,” Stef said. It was the first thing he’d said, probably because he’d been seriously annoyed with JJ, but at the same time, he felt a real affinity for him. They’d grown much closer with their shopping expeditions.

We didn’t talk for a bit, we just focused on eating, and letting the confrontation with JJ fade from our immediate memories. “I’d like to ask you a favor,” Wade said to me.

“What?” I asked, but in a friendly way. There wasn’t much I wouldn’t do for Wade.

“I’d like you to reconsider letting JJ go to Germany, pending his good behavior from this point forward.” Our eyes locked, and we read each other so well. He was proposing a classic good cop-bad cop pose, and he was hoping to use the trip to Germany as a carrot to elicit a better reaction from JJ.

“I will leave that decision up to you, then,” I said, giving him what he wanted.

“Do you think you’ll have the house done by the end of August?” Tiffany asked.

“Matt helped me hire a new contractor, and kept me from being a tightwad, so I’m almost certain it will happen,” he said to her with a smile.

“We need to make another modification to the plans,” she said.

“Dude, that may mess things up,” Matt said to her.

“Well that’s just too damn bad,” she snapped. “I need another bedroom on my floor.”

“Why?” Wade asked.

“Because I’m pregnant,” she said.

Copyright © 2014 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 54
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



One surprise after another and Tiffany saves hers until the end of the chapter! :worship:

Ok, so the false positive was already on the table. -_-

However, handling JJ was a surprise. :yes:

I still don't think the happy troika Wade thinks he has is going to last more than a semester or two. :no:

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Hah - I knew there would be another Danforth out of this!

 

We can only hope that there will be a better JJ out of this now that his scheming has been derailed...

 

And lastly, even though it was the first part of the chapter, just delighted to hear that Matt is negative!

 

Looking forward to the weekend installment…

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Wow great chapter. I hope the child is Matt's because with ownership I feel he will be a great father for all of the kids.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Holy crap...great chapter. That was quite the ending (who the heck is the daddy going to be?). Good on Brad for being tough with JJ. Giving control over to Wade was brilliant.

I am so happy for Matt...such great great great news and it turns out that even with what he went through after 911, he was most likely careful after all.

The Wade/ Matt/ Alex dynamic puts me a little on edge but it is a beautiful thing to see Matt and Wade in such a good place right now. I could feel their love for each other come shining through this chapter and that makes me a happy, happy man. I can see now how forgiving each other was such a necessary thing in order for them to get where they are now.

It is a small thing that had big import, when Matt stepped in with the contractor and sealed the final deal when he thought it was warranted and in the best interest of Wade and yet before that, he stood back and waited for Wade to "invite" him to Escorial. To me those two little things spoke volumes about how intuitive and caring Matt has become. In essence, he acted the way a good partner would, respectful,caring and protective.

Will has got to learn to knock..lol..it was too funny..and then to have the gall to kiss Lark and say what he said to Brad...I love this guy...Mark, to me he ranks as one of your most memorable characters in a long list of memorable characters, and he is only 15 to boot! The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Lark/Scott being in Brad's life right now...all that history. One more thing...I want to hear Will explain Lark's comment about how he likes to look at Lark, to his dad. :funny: . Awesome chapter Mark...Thanks and Cheers...Gary

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well wasn't that quite the ride!

I think there is still a bit to work out with the Matt/Wade/Alex story before we get settled down. Wade and Matt are showing self-awareness as characters in CAP - there is always a bit more drama around the corner. :*) I am with Daddydavek - a semester at most.

And well done Brad - handing power to Wade was a masterstroke.

But Tiffany's news - wow that's got me thinking!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Loved the scene with Will and Brad and Scott/Lark but I can't wait for the one when Will is explaining Scott's comment about Will liking to look at him... Scott might actually be good for Brad but I can't see it being a long term monogamous type relationship; I could see one where when Brad is in Hawaii they hook up until Brad is in a relationship that would not allow them to see each other sexually...

 

So happy for Matt, but I sort of suspected this all along; glad that Wade was with him when he found out... Happy that Matt and Wade seem to be back on a more even keel, although that sure took a hit at the end of the chapter. Sort of hope that Matt is the father but would be happy with either one really...

 

Brad really stood up to JJ but I have to sort of agree with JJ on part of this. Brad seems to just disappear from his life and then wants to show up and be in charge, not much of a responsible parental figure... I do think that JJ was planning on making Wade's life miserable and that got rightfully cut short but still Brad needs to be around more if he wants to play the parent...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Another great chapter. I really enjoyed the way that JJ finally got a little parenting. He has needed it for quite a while.

 

But... argghhhh... Alex, Alex, Alex, puhlease. Matt continues to show an increasing amount of maturity in his thought processes and actions and Wade continues to want to have it all including Alex and Matt in the same home at the same time. Will Wade never pull his head from his posterior region and wake up to the great person that Matt is becoming and get away from Alex?

Mark, I know you told me that Alex wasn't after Wade for money that his family had plenty but if that is the case then why did his family have to charge JP such a large amount of money to view their archived documents that JP wanted for his research. If they were such an honorable aristocratic family and didn't need the money wouldn't they allow him to see the documents because it would have been the gentlemanly thing to do for an esteemed researcher?

Just like many others, I am anxiously awaiting your nest fantastic installment.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I was wondering when Tiffany was going to find herself in the family way again. New players to the CAP universe are always a welcome development.

Super glad that Brad called JJ on his shitty behavior, although I think JJ has a good point about Brad's lack of involvement.

Finally, I am metaphorically dancing in the streets that Matt's negative and in a good place with Wade.

Thanks for all the great work.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hi Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chatper of Flux.

 

A good chapter all around: Matt turning out negative, Wade and Matt connecting like they should, Will being his obnoxious self, JJ being his diva self. I would have loved to see Will challenge Brad on his attitude towards JJ. "Fancy taking that attitude towards me, Dad?" I think people are being too harsh on JJ. He's a competitive skater and as you're setting him up to rival Johnny Weir (I admit to being a gay boy, I loved looking at that boy!) I can't see him being overly into his sport. Obviously Brad can't relate to him like he should, (although Brad was right in claiming withdrawal from JJ's part) but Tiffany is disappointing in this regard. She knows his needs as a skater and his needs as a boy in the family he's in. And we seem to forget as your readers that, where Will was only threatened with rape (Paris) JJ was actucally taken advantage of in a sexual way (I don't recall if you've actually called it rape at that time)

 

We lack a real look into JJ's psyche. I hope that'll be amended in future books.

 

I hope Alex and Wade will remain friends in Boston, although I share the belief of other reviewees that their infatuation will not last very long.

 

Keep up the amazing work,

 

lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Woo Hoo! I have been waiting for that announcement since the threesome on the first trip to Boston! Can't help but wonder how Matt will handle it if he is the daddy! He hasn't seemed to consider himself one of Reilly's parents before now. Perhaps having a munchkin of his own will change how he looks at Wade's son and Maddy.

 

That false positive is something Matt should be keeping in mind for the rest of his life. Not only should it serve to increase his care when meeting new people, it should also be an impetus for him to be more vigilant on his health in general. He has had some wicked turns in the past, and it always seems that people with the "out of left field" illnesses get much more than their share of health curve balls.

 

And three cheers for Brad! JJ needed to be brought up short. Emotional blackmail and threatening to keep Wade and Reilly apart because he was mad that the house wasn't to his standards is so much BS. Every time I read something about it i wanted to turn JJ over my knee!

 

As usual, a fantastic chapter, and a fantastic way to start my weekend! Thank you.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I thought that I would roll my eyes when Matt finally turned out to be negative (and yes, I own that statement as being simultaneously hopeful and jaded), the explanation for the false positive coupled with the exploration of how people respond to the threat of HIV/AIDS these days was really quite thought provoking. I'm of Matt and Wade's generation, but I tend to think of HIV/AIDS on an emotional level as still being a death sentence even though I know logically that it isn't. I attribute this to having a lot of friends who are older than me and who remember when people started contracting it in the 80s. In any event, you handle it in such an insightful and sensitive way its hard to fault you for reporting that things have turned out in favor of my preferences - with Matt turning out to be negative and his relationship with Wade on the mend.

Great work as always, Mark!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/18/2014 03:55 PM, Daddydavek said:
One surprise after another and Tiffany saves hers until the end of the chapter! :worship:

Ok, so the false positive was already on the table. -_-

However, handling JJ was a surprise. :yes:

I still don't think the happy troika Wade thinks he has is going to last more than a semester or two. :no:

Thanks for the review.

 

The troika you refer to really isn't a troika. There are two separate relationships: Matt and Wade, and Alex and Wade.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/18/2014 04:01 PM, KevinD said:
Hah - I knew there would be another Danforth out of this!

 

We can only hope that there will be a better JJ out of this now that his scheming has been derailed...

 

And lastly, even though it was the first part of the chapter, just delighted to hear that Matt is negative!

 

Looking forward to the weekend installment…

Thanks for the review! Glad you were happy about Matt.

 

JJ is probably being a diva and not really scheming; I think that requires more planning than he's willing to do when it comes down to it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/18/2014 04:06 PM, Matt Mc said:
Wow great chapter. I hope the child is Matt's because with ownership I feel he will be a great father for all of the kids.
That sounds like it might be worth a poll!
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/18/2014 04:19 PM, Headstall said:
Holy crap...great chapter. That was quite the ending (who the heck is the daddy going to be?). Good on Brad for being tough with JJ. Giving control over to Wade was brilliant.

I am so happy for Matt...such great great great news and it turns out that even with what he went through after 911, he was most likely careful after all.

The Wade/ Matt/ Alex dynamic puts me a little on edge but it is a beautiful thing to see Matt and Wade in such a good place right now. I could feel their love for each other come shining through this chapter and that makes me a happy, happy man. I can see now how forgiving each other was such a necessary thing in order for them to get where they are now.

It is a small thing that had big import, when Matt stepped in with the contractor and sealed the final deal when he thought it was warranted and in the best interest of Wade and yet before that, he stood back and waited for Wade to "invite" him to Escorial. To me those two little things spoke volumes about how intuitive and caring Matt has become. In essence, he acted the way a good partner would, respectful,caring and protective.

Will has got to learn to knock..lol..it was too funny..and then to have the gall to kiss Lark and say what he said to Brad...I love this guy...Mark, to me he ranks as one of your most memorable characters in a long list of memorable characters, and he is only 15 to boot! The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Lark/Scott being in Brad's life right now...all that history. One more thing...I want to hear Will explain Lark's comment about how he likes to look at Lark, to his dad. :funny: . Awesome chapter Mark...Thanks and Cheers...Gary

Thanks Gary. I'm glad you liked the chapter.

 

I think that the Wade/Matt/Alex thing sounds really good right now, but it still has to be tested, so it makes sense that it would put you a little on edge.

 

I also totally agree with you that the mutual forgiveness was a good thing for Matt and Wade. Matt endured a hell of a lot of pain when Wade blew him off for Alex, but it may end up being worth it if it can help them put all the crap of the past behind them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/18/2014 08:06 PM, Bucket1 said:
Well wasn't that quite the ride!

I think there is still a bit to work out with the Matt/Wade/Alex story before we get settled down. Wade and Matt are showing self-awareness as characters in CAP - there is always a bit more drama around the corner. :*) I am with Daddydavek - a semester at most.

And well done Brad - handing power to Wade was a masterstroke.

But Tiffany's news - wow that's got me thinking!

Thanks! I think you're right that Matt and Wade are both showing some good self-awareness. Tiffany's news was probably not a surprise to most, but we'll have to see how that turns out.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/19/2014 12:52 AM, centexhairysub said:
Loved the scene with Will and Brad and Scott/Lark but I can't wait for the one when Will is explaining Scott's comment about Will liking to look at him... Scott might actually be good for Brad but I can't see it being a long term monogamous type relationship; I could see one where when Brad is in Hawaii they hook up until Brad is in a relationship that would not allow them to see each other sexually...

 

So happy for Matt, but I sort of suspected this all along; glad that Wade was with him when he found out... Happy that Matt and Wade seem to be back on a more even keel, although that sure took a hit at the end of the chapter. Sort of hope that Matt is the father but would be happy with either one really...

 

Brad really stood up to JJ but I have to sort of agree with JJ on part of this. Brad seems to just disappear from his life and then wants to show up and be in charge, not much of a responsible parental figure... I do think that JJ was planning on making Wade's life miserable and that got rightfully cut short but still Brad needs to be around more if he wants to play the parent...

I think the idea of Brad and Scott being together is compelling, but unrealistic. With Scott basically still in hiding, and keeping a low profile, it wouldn't really work for him to have any kind of public relationship with Brad. Quite frankly, I think having him stay in Brad's villa isn't the smartest thing. There are, I'm sure, people still out there who would love to see him dead if they knew he was Lark. So I think that they can be friends, and hook up, but it has to be low-profile, and it can't be serious. The risk to Scott is too great.

 

The conversation with Brad and JJ doesn't, IMHO, isn't a situation where either one of them is right. Brad probably did what he had to do to make Boston tolerable for Wade and Tiffany, but he really is kind of an ass to just jump into JJ's life and start fucking with his career.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/19/2014 01:07 AM, JimP said:
Another great chapter. I really enjoyed the way that JJ finally got a little parenting. He has needed it for quite a while.

 

But... argghhhh... Alex, Alex, Alex, puhlease. Matt continues to show an increasing amount of maturity in his thought processes and actions and Wade continues to want to have it all including Alex and Matt in the same home at the same time. Will Wade never pull his head from his posterior region and wake up to the great person that Matt is becoming and get away from Alex?

Mark, I know you told me that Alex wasn't after Wade for money that his family had plenty but if that is the case then why did his family have to charge JP such a large amount of money to view their archived documents that JP wanted for his research. If they were such an honorable aristocratic family and didn't need the money wouldn't they allow him to see the documents because it would have been the gentlemanly thing to do for an esteemed researcher?

Just like many others, I am anxiously awaiting your nest fantastic installment.

Will Wade wake up? Who knows.

 

As far as Alex and cash go, I've had a number of friends like this over the years who came from wealthy families who were cash poor. They manage to support themselves just fine, but they don't have money to blow on unnecessary luxuries. In the situation with the letters, it was probably a win-win. The Duke didn't want, or couldn't, afford to spend the resources to make the letters usable by preserving them. JP had the money, and wanted access to them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/19/2014 03:35 AM, Miles Long said:
I was wondering when Tiffany was going to find herself in the family way again. New players to the CAP universe are always a welcome development.

Super glad that Brad called JJ on his shitty behavior, although I think JJ has a good point about Brad's lack of involvement.

Finally, I am metaphorically dancing in the streets that Matt's negative and in a good place with Wade.

Thanks for all the great work.

Miles,

 

Totally agree with you on Brad and JJ, as I pretty much said below.

 

I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter, and that you appreciated all the good news!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/19/2014 07:36 AM, shyboy85 said:
Hi Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chatper of Flux.

 

A good chapter all around: Matt turning out negative, Wade and Matt connecting like they should, Will being his obnoxious self, JJ being his diva self. I would have loved to see Will challenge Brad on his attitude towards JJ. "Fancy taking that attitude towards me, Dad?" I think people are being too harsh on JJ. He's a competitive skater and as you're setting him up to rival Johnny Weir (I admit to being a gay boy, I loved looking at that boy!) I can't see him being overly into his sport. Obviously Brad can't relate to him like he should, (although Brad was right in claiming withdrawal from JJ's part) but Tiffany is disappointing in this regard. She knows his needs as a skater and his needs as a boy in the family he's in. And we seem to forget as your readers that, where Will was only threatened with rape (Paris) JJ was actucally taken advantage of in a sexual way (I don't recall if you've actually called it rape at that time)

 

We lack a real look into JJ's psyche. I hope that'll be amended in future books.

 

I hope Alex and Wade will remain friends in Boston, although I share the belief of other reviewees that their infatuation will not last very long.

 

Keep up the amazing work,

 

lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

Thanks for the review Maarten.

 

I really think that Brad did what he had to do with JJ, but it was pretty harsh for him to suddenly make a splash in his son's life by threatening to destroy his skating career. I thought Brad's musings about Tiffany were pretty spot-on. He hasn't really given her enough authority to really rein JJ in. She's his coach, and she encourages him, but she doesn't exert much control over him off the ice. Maybe that will change now.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/19/2014 08:35 AM, Kitt said:
Woo Hoo! I have been waiting for that announcement since the threesome on the first trip to Boston! Can't help but wonder how Matt will handle it if he is the daddy! He hasn't seemed to consider himself one of Reilly's parents before now. Perhaps having a munchkin of his own will change how he looks at Wade's son and Maddy.

 

That false positive is something Matt should be keeping in mind for the rest of his life. Not only should it serve to increase his care when meeting new people, it should also be an impetus for him to be more vigilant on his health in general. He has had some wicked turns in the past, and it always seems that people with the "out of left field" illnesses get much more than their share of health curve balls.

 

And three cheers for Brad! JJ needed to be brought up short. Emotional blackmail and threatening to keep Wade and Reilly apart because he was mad that the house wasn't to his standards is so much BS. Every time I read something about it i wanted to turn JJ over my knee!

 

As usual, a fantastic chapter, and a fantastic way to start my weekend! Thank you.

Thanks so much for the review, Kitt!

 

Great point on Matt being a father. Wade went through the total transformation when he became a Dad, but that largely passed Matt by. He seems to be caring and devoted to Riley, but he really hasn't acted like one of his parents. If he's the father, will that change him? It has to, I think, although how would be debatable.

 

That's a very good point about people with prior health issues being magnets for future ones. I could see that happening to Matt. What was really depressing about this (as I see it) was that Matt was very careful, and seemed to have been a poster boy for safe sex practices. It's quite a relief that he didn't have it, not only because he dodged the bullet, but because of the example to the others in the family.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/19/2014 10:18 AM, samjones1 said:
I thought that I would roll my eyes when Matt finally turned out to be negative (and yes, I own that statement as being simultaneously hopeful and jaded), the explanation for the false positive coupled with the exploration of how people respond to the threat of HIV/AIDS these days was really quite thought provoking. I'm of Matt and Wade's generation, but I tend to think of HIV/AIDS on an emotional level as still being a death sentence even though I know logically that it isn't. I attribute this to having a lot of friends who are older than me and who remember when people started contracting it in the 80s. In any event, you handle it in such an insightful and sensitive way its hard to fault you for reporting that things have turned out in favor of my preferences - with Matt turning out to be negative and his relationship with Wade on the mend.

Great work as always, Mark!

I loved your review, because that's exactly the kind of mentality I was trying to show. When I last dealt with the HIV issue in a really intense way, it was in Man in Motion, and that was just depressing as hell. But that 80's mentality still seems to pervade the entire family, even the younger generations. They carry those "institutional memories" forward with them, even though they were too young to remember the actual events.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I am so happy that Matt is negative.

I know on the blog that I said that Wade and Matt are the younger Brad and Robbie, but I admit I was wrong. I agree with a review that compares them to JP and Stef and I totally agree.

The fact that Matt is negative is great. I hope that Wade gets his head out of his ass, but I know it will take a couple of semesters.

I have always had a negative feeling about Alex and I can't shake it.

Matt as a father would be great. He would be a great father to his own as well as Riley and Maddie.

Thanks for a great chapter and keep it going.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/19/2014 01:21 PM, Mardi614 said:
I am so happy that Matt is negative.

I know on the blog that I said that Wade and Matt are the younger Brad and Robbie, but I admit I was wrong. I agree with a review that compares them to JP and Stef and I totally agree.

The fact that Matt is negative is great. I hope that Wade gets his head out of his ass, but I know it will take a couple of semesters.

I have always had a negative feeling about Alex and I can't shake it.

Matt as a father would be great. He would be a great father to his own as well as Riley and Maddie.

Thanks for a great chapter and keep it going.

Thanks for the review!

 

I think that there are differences between Stef/JP and Matt/Wade, but I think those couples are more similar than they are with Brad/Robbie.

 

And I think that you're right, that the Matt we now see transitioning into adulthood would make a good father figure to both Riley and Maddy...and to the new baby as well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm with JimP on the whole Wade subject. I still think Wade's a royal dick and I applaud Matt on his ability to accept the situation with Alex. It is apparent that Matt and Wade have a deep love for each other, but I'm also a firm believer that people who love in that way shouldn't treat each other the way they have treated each other.

Love the Tiffany bomb at the end!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..