Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,304 Words
  • 7,946 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flux - 16. Chapter 16

Alright, this puts my posting schedule completely out of whack, but I noticed that today was Arbor Day, and it seemed only reasonable that I should celebrate by posting a chapter. So Happy Arbor Day!

June 22, 2002

Malibu, CA

 

Brad

 

“I hope you know I was just doing my job, Mr. Schluter,” Barry said nervously. “If I don’t know the status of their relationship, I can’t help them out.”

“I understand that,” I said. “I think it would have been reasonable to just ask them the question in the first place.”

“You heard the first answer I got?” he asked me, to validate his strategy.

“I did,” I said. “But you had set yourself up as their adversary from the beginning, so it was unlikely they would have been honest with you.”

“I’ve done this for a long time,” he objected, trying to pull out the experience card.

“I’m not interested in dredging up the past, and that includes the past thirty minutes,” I said firmly. “I want us all to understand that going forward; we’re going to have open and honest communications, with no petty games, on all sides of this relationship.” I had learned over the years how to project power, and I knew that I was throwing it out hard.

“I understand,” Barry said, caving gracefully.

“And do you two?” I asked, Zach and Will in the same tone. It intimidated Zach, and had absolutely no effect on Will at all.

“Sure,” Zach said.

“I don’t appreciate people fucking with me,” Will said to Barry coldly. “But I get what you were doing. We’re cool this time.”

“Excellent,” Barry said.

I was feeling pretty confident, almost cocky, until Matt walked into the room. Our eyes met and I almost instinctively put my hand to my still-swollen nose, but fortunately I managed to avoid doing that. I was pissed at him for that, but I felt so guilty for hurting him, that I’d pretty much written off his assault. I hadn’t expected him to be here, and shot a nasty look at Will to let him know I was annoyed with him for not warning me. I put that aside and saw Matt’s expression, and noticed that the rage he’d had before was gone. He was looking at me cautiously, but not belligerently.

“This is my brother, Matt Carrswold,” Will said, introducing him to Barry. That surprised me, because I didn’t remember Will ever introducing Matt as his brother. They must have worked through their issues, at least for the most part.

“Nice to meet you,” Matt said to Barry, and shook his hand.

I looked at Matt and decided to risk his wrath. “I’ve been stuck in Connecticut for the past week. I’m going to throw some shorts on and go for a walk on the beach. Want to join me?”

He gave me an unpleasant look. “I’ll meet you back down here in fifteen minutes,” he said in a clipped way.

I turned to Will and Zach. “I’ll leave you guys to work things out. If you need me, call me,” I said, tapping the pocket where I carried my cell phone.

“Cool,” Will said. I went up the stairs to our bedroom. I hated being here. I hated being in this house, and I hated being in our room. I walked in and my mind whirled, as I thought of little vignettes in my life with Robbie. I grabbed some shorts and a polo shirt, ripped off my suit and threw my casual clothes on, put on my sandals, and I was out of the room in less than five minutes. I felt myself breathe a sigh of relief as I did. As I walked down the stairs I saw Will and Zach huddling with Barry, as if they were plotting out some master world-domination strategy. I avoided them and went out onto the patio.

Matt came out much sooner than he’d promised. I didn’t say anything; I just got up and led him down to the beach, and started walking. “I have things I need to say to you, but I don’t know how to say them,” I said honestly.

“Just say them. You probably can’t piss me off more than you have,” he said. He was probably wrong about that, but I wasn’t going to try and make him mad.

“I think I have to start this off with an apology,” I told him awkwardly. I sensed that it wasn’t sincere, and I flagellated myself for fucking up already. “I’m sorry that I hurt you so badly.”

“Why don’t you try this,” he snapped. “Why don’t you try being honest, and tell me that what you’re really sorry for is that you got caught.”

“I am sorry that I got caught,” I admitted.

“Because now you have to end it, end your beautiful, romantic relationship with Wade.” Man, he could throw some rage. I thought Will was bad.

“That’s exactly why I’m sorry,” I confessed, freaking him out. “Only our relationship wasn’t romantic.”

“This is the part where you tell me how you two were just really close friends who fucked, and it was good for you,” he said snidely.

“This is a lot easier than I thought,” I said to him, smiling slightly. “You’re saying all the things I was going to say.”

“I think it’s bullshit. I think you were totally into him. I see the way you two look at each other.”

“We complement each other really well,” I said. “But it’s not like that. It’s hard to describe.”

“Try me,” Matt said, not easing up at all.

I stopped and looked at him squarely. “He’s my best friend.”

“So be his friend,” I said. “Just don’t fuck him.”

“We’re trying,” I said, knowing I shouldn’t tell him this stuff, but I really didn’t think I had any other choice but to be completely honest. “We talk every other day on the phone, but it’s stunted. We’re trying to build a different connection, but the deal is that we’re both so defensive, we just push each other away.”

“You want me to feel bad for you, because you have to break up with my boyfriend?”

“I don’t want you to feel bad for me, but if you lost your best friend, wouldn’t you feel pretty shitty?”

“I did lose my best friend, and I do feel shitty,” he said. “The only reason Wade is being nice to me is so I’ll tell him it’s OK for you two to keep on fucking.”

“That’s not why,” I told him.

“How would you know?” he demanded.

“Because I’ve been his confidante for the last six months,” I snapped, finally getting annoyed with him. “I watched him go through all kinds of hell, dealing with you being gone. You remember what happened at Christmas?”

“He told you about that?” he asked, stunned that I knew.

“He let that bug him until right after the New Year,” I said. “We went riding, and he told me about it, and I could tell how badly that had fucked him up.”

“I was just so desperate to connect with him,” he said sadly.

I could have been cruel, and told him how badly he had upset Wade, how after he had endured years of being molested by his father, being assaulted by Matt had really messed him up, but it wasn’t my place. “That’s when we started sleeping together.”

“You were just waiting for him to be vulnerable,” he spat. “You were preying on him.”

“That’s bullshit,” I said. “I was in worse shape than he was.”

He scowled at me. “And this way, you got to fuck him, make both of you feel better, and get back at me at the same time.”

“Yeah, that’s about it,” I said. “I was pissed off at you.”

“Because of Robbie,” he said.

“That, and because of what you did to Will,” I said. “I did to you what you did to Will. It seemed like a fair payback.”

“So this is all my fault. You’re just the blameless white knight who comes riding in to save the damsel in fucking distress,” he shouted.

“You keep acting like this is some easy, one-dimensional deal. There’s a bunch of shit that happened, that contributed to this. You’re responsible for some of it, Wade is responsible for some of it, but I think I’m responsible for most of it.”

“Alright, I’ll bite. Why are you the most responsible?”

“Because I’m the most fucked up,” I said. “I’m like this toxic person that is so hurt inside, I hurt all the people around me too.”

“Whatever,” he said, finally pissing me off.

“Look, you don’t have to go up to your room at night and look around, missing your partner. I know there’s a door there that leads to a room that we had all kinds of wild sex in, and has his picture plastered in the entrance. I look at his closet, still full of his clothes, because I can’t bring myself to go through them, but I’m too big of a control freak to let anyone else do it. His car is still in the garage, the same car I beat up. He’s everywhere. No matter where I go, no matter what I do, he’s there.” I paused, trying to stop, but I couldn’t. “I can’t even get laid, because every guy I’m with reminds me of him in some way or another. Either he has a characteristic that is similar to Robbie’s, or he just makes me feel guilty, like I’m cheating on Robbie.”

“But not Wade,” he said.

“Not Wade.”

“That’s why you wanted me out of the picture,” he accused. “You wanted me out of the picture so you could be with Wade.”

“I wanted you out of the picture because you remind me of Robbie,” I said, even though I didn’t mean to. “I’ve gotten beyond this, but back a few months ago, when I saw you, I just had this desire to cause you pain.”

“Dude that is fucked up!”

I nodded. “It is.” We walked along for a bit. “I don’t know how to make things OK with us.”

“I don’t even think you want to,” he said.

“Matt, I’m not where I was back then. I realize that I was fucked up. I realize that what I did was awful. If I don’t sound sincere, it’s because this realization has cost me my best friend.”

“What do you want from me?”

“I think that’s my question. What do you want from me?”

“I want you to get your shit together, so you’re not such an asshole,” he yelled. He stopped and looked at me, and there were tears in his eyes. He turned around and started to storm off. “I’m going back.”

I looked around, and started to totally freak out. I remembered this spot so well. This was the exact spot where I’d had my big confrontation with Robbie when he came down for spring break in 1985. Matt pivoted and started walking back toward the house, just like I had back then: just like I had when I’d been on the verge of completely breaking down. The guilt at what I’d done to Matt overwhelmed me, followed by another wave of sadness at missing Robbie. The next thing I knew, my head was spinning. I felt my legs give out, so I sort of collapsed into the sand in a clump, but I really didn’t feel the impact. And then I was in a time warp, flying back to 1985.

“How come you never told me that you still loved me?” I heard Robbie ask softly. And then I looked at him, a 22-year-old Robbie, talking to a 23-year-old me. It was like watching a movie.

“You know me. You know my pride. What was I going to do, make matters worse by throwing myself at your feet so you could just reject me even more? No, I figured that if that's how you felt I'd just go with it. It would be easier for you, and I thought it would be easier for me.” I watched my much younger self spit those words at him. “But no, you had to bring that fucking bitch home for Christmas. Fawn all over him. Make googly fucking eyes at each other. Then you’d sneak off and fuck; only you weren't even quiet. I had to hold a pillow over my head to block out the sound.”

“I hurt you so bad. God, it must have been horrible. I'm so, so sorry. I really am. I, I just don't know what to say,” he said, with tears running down his cheeks. “Are you still in love with me?”

“Jesus fucking Christ Robbie. What are you trying to do, rip all the scabs off? You know what, you tell me how you feel, and we'll just go with that OK? Why don't you expose some of your soul instead of probing into mine with a knife?”

And that’s where I had reached the basket case point. I had turned around and started heading back, just like Matt had done. The vision faded, but the pain didn’t. The pain from that event and from an entire relationship of always worrying that what had happened then would happen again. He’d gone off and found someone else, Neil, and he’d fallen in love with him. He’d blown me off for Neil, just like he’d blown me off for Carson, and just like he’d blown me off for Alex Danvers. He’d cheated on me with Neil, just like he’d cheated on me with Gary Englin, back in high school. I felt sheer rage, rage approaching hatred, as I remembered that pain.

“Are you alright?” I heard Matt say. It sounded like he was miles away; his voice was faint and hollow. “Brad?”

But I wasn’t with him; I was stuck in purgatory, reliving the hell that Robbie had put me through. And here I was, alone and miserable, because he’d done the same fucking thing to me that he did then. He’d run off without even thinking about me, heading back up those fucking stairs. He left me here; only this time, there was no reconciliation. There was no way for him to make this better. He left me a wounded mess, and all I was doing now was going through life hurting myself, and other people.

Then I thought about the scene from my life I’d just witnessed, and I remembered how badly he’d felt when he finally got it. How sorry he’d been. I remembered how he’d held me, and told me that he loved me. I remembered making up with him then, and I remembered making up with him after our split over Gary Englin. I remembered how he’d been there for me as I’d battled against Omega, and how he’d sealed our reunion after the nightmare with Carson by marrying me. He’d thought that up all by himself, and then he’d planned the wedding without me knowing about it until a few days before it happened. And I remembered our last phone conversation when he was in the tower. How he told me that he loved me, and he told me that he’d miss me, and he told me to take care of myself. How he told me that I was the one love of his life. How all those other guys who had caused me so much pain were really irrelevant, in the greater scheme of our relationship.

I sat there in the sand, my sanity slowly returning, as I went on my last roller coaster ride with Robbie. He’d taken me to the very depths of despair, leading me into the abyss, and then, just like he’d done in the past, he’d pulled me out of it. I heard him apologizing to me for going back up those stairs and leaving me behind. I heard him telling me that he was sorry for all the pain I was enduring because he wasn’t there. I heard him begging me to forgive him for forcing me to go on with my life alone, without him. I heard him say all these things, even though he’d never said them, because I knew that he would have. I knew him so well. I knew that’s exactly what he would have said. And just like I’d done in the past, I forgave him. I gave him absolution for doing this to me.

I felt something sting my face sharply: it was a hand, slapping me. I opened my eyes and there was Matt, staring at me, looking worried. “Dude, what the fuck happened to you?” I looked up and blinked at him. I tried to make words, I tried to speak, but I couldn’t. “Are you alright?”

I looked at him, in a daze, and held out my hand, asking him to help me up, which he did. “I’m sorry,” I said to him, although for which transgression I wasn’t sure, and neither was he.

“What happened to you?”

“I just had a flashback,” I managed to say. “Let’s go back.” We started walking back, at a much slower pace than before.

“A flashback?” Matt asked, and then he looked around, and freaked out himself. “This is the place where you and Robbie worked things out when you were in college.”

“How did you know that?” I’d asked that in an accusatory way, almost wondering if he’d figured out some way to read my mind, or worrying that I’d played that whole scene out by actually speaking the words.

“Robbie told me about it, right after I met him. We went for a walk on the beach, and when we got here, he stopped, and told me this is where you guys turned your relationship around and got back together again.”

“He did?”

Matt nodded. “He told me how tight you two were in high school, and how that freaked him out so badly that he went to a different college than you did.”

I stared at him, amazed. “He purposely went to a different school to get away from me?” Robbie had never told me that.

He smiled softly. “He said his feelings for you were so strong, they scared him. He was pretty pissed off at himself when he talked about it. He said he was too young and stupid to realize how awesome that was back then.”

“I didn’t know that,” I said, digesting this new piece of the puzzle that was Robbie Hayes.

“So what just happened to you? Dude, you’re freaking me out,” Matt said.

“This has happened to me, once before. When you turned and walked off, you did just what I’d done back in 1985, when Robbie and I were walking on the beach, trying to figure out if we could or should be together,” I explained. “It triggered a flashback. It was pretty trippy. It was like I was watching a movie of Robbie and me, having that conversation.”

“Holy shit! That must have been intense!” I nodded. “You just lay there, not moving anything but your face. Your expressions were pretty wild. You went back and forth to what seemed like sadness, anger, and happiness.”

I felt a little dizzy, and staggered a bit. He reached out and put his arm around me to steady me. It was a very thoughtful gesture, especially when I considered how badly I had hurt him. “Thanks,” I said, smiling at him. “I just need to get back and sit down.”

“We’re almost there,” he said, even though we were still a ways off.

“I relived that whole deal with him and Neil, and got all pissed off at him all over again. Then I remembered the other guys, especially Carson, and that made me even angrier.”

“Can’t blame you for that,” he said supportively.

“Then I remembered how sorry he’d been after it was over and how he’d tried to do things to make it better. I remembered our wedding. I remembered our last conversation.” Both of us teared up when I mentioned that, and I squeezed Matt’s shoulder to try and prop him up.

“No wonder you were making those weird faces.”

“Weird?” I asked, pretending to be offended.

“They were weird in a hot way,” he said with a smile, making me chuckle.

“It was really strange after that. I got mad at him for leaving me behind, and leaving me here alone. I was pissed off all over again. But it was like I could hear his voice, speaking to me, telling me he was sorry for that. It was the same old pattern. He fucked up and hurt me, and then he said he was sorry.”

“He’s gone,” Matt said to me. “He can’t hurt you anymore. He can’t apologize anymore.”

“I know,” I said. “I had our last fight subconsciously.” We both laughed at that. We got back to the house and sat on the stairs that led up to the deck. “Our last fight, with the same pattern. He said he was sorry for the last time. And I did something that I haven’t been able to do until now. I forgave him.”

His left hand reached out and gently took my right hand, squeezing slightly, in an affectionate way. “Just like you forgave him, I’ll forgive you.”

I turned and looked at him, and then I hugged him, grabbing onto him and squeezing him a little too tightly. He yelped, reminding me he still had pain from his bruised ribs, causing me to abruptly end our embrace. “Sorry,” I said.

“You just have to be gentle,” he joked. “You can be rough later.”

I smiled and hugged him for a very long time, only I did it much more gently. “Thanks,” I said.

 

June 22, 2002

Malibu, CA

 

Will

 

I watched Matt and Dad leave the room, hoping this walk would help them work things out, and then turned back to Barry to hear exactly what Zach and I were going to have to do to be together while he played football.

“You can’t be gay and make it in the NFL. It’s not happening,” Barry said. “You can be in the closet and make it, but the more famous you are, the more secret your closet has to be.”

“I know that,” Zach said, and it was impossible to miss the bitterness in his voice.

“There are a couple of different ways to play this out,” Barry said. “Are you religious?”

“No,” Zach said. “Why?”

“That’s a good disguise for a closet case. You claim you’re very religious, and then you date women, but it’s more like going out with a friend. You tell her you can’t be intimate until you’re married, because that’s what the Bible says. That gets you off the hook so you don’t have to have sex. The only downside is that you have to live that lifestyle. You have to go to church, you have to thank Jesus anytime something good happens to you, and you have to be careful that you don’t slip up and fuck the girl.”

“I don’t know if I can do that,” Zach said. I wondered which of those things he couldn’t do.

“Do you like to have sex with women?” Barry asked. I felt my brows furrowing, even though I tried to stop them.

“Yeah,” he said. “But I like sex with Will better.” That got him a smile from me, and a chuckle from Barry.

“If you’re not going to be a holy roller, then you’re probably going to have to fuck some women,” he said. “You can either find one girl and have a relationship, or you can be a man-whore and fuck a lot of them.”

“I’ve tried the relationship thing, but I end up just leading women on,” he said. “I can probably pull that off, though.” This was the side of Zach that was scary: the side where he was ruthless when he wanted something. He would trample some poor girl’s heart, just so she could cover for him.

Barry nodded, and changed the topic slightly. “You’re not on the radar screen yet. People are watching you, but not as closely as they will be when you go to college. That means you can be a little more flexible with the rules. Just know that as time goes on, and as you’re more successful, the rules get tighter too.”

“Rules?” I asked.

He nodded. “Rule number one. Absolutely no physical displays of affection between you two. No PDA.”

“Not even a hug?” I asked.

“Nope. You can greet each other, hand to hand. That means a handshake, a fist bump, a high five, or something like that,” he insisted. “Not even a friendly arm around the shoulder.”

“We already do that, for the most part,” Zach said.

“Rule number two: You can’t go to Zach’s games alone, and you can’t sit close to the bench.” Since he’d directed that to me, I nodded. “You need to look like just another interested family member.”

“I can do that,” I said. I would just go with Frank. He never missed Zach’s games.

“You two need to develop more masculine activities, to give you something to do together instead of sucking dick,” he said, lightening things up a bit. We chuckled.

“Like what?” Zach asked.

“Is there a sport you could do that isn’t football?”

I nodded and smiled, while Zach shook his head. “No way,” he said to me.

“Guess who’s going to learn how to surf,” I teased.

“That’s an excellent choice. Two other good options are skiing, and golf. Those three give you a good cover so you can go away for a vacation. It’s not Zach and Will going off for a romantic weekend in Hawaii, it’s Zach and Will going to Hawaii to catch some kick-ass waves.”

“Fine,” Zach said. “If I have to learn how to surf, you have to learn how to ski. And we can both pick up golfing.”

“I can do that,” I said, “if we snowboard instead of ski.”

“Deal,” he said. “What else?”

“It would be good if there was at least one other guy who went with you when you went on these excursions. And the number of people that go should be odd. That way it’s never a couple’s deal.” I was pretty impressed with how well he’d thought this out.

“We can try to do that,” Zach said.

“Is that important if we have a private place to go to?” I asked. I told him about Escorial, and about my house in Hawaii.

“Could someone take a picture of you with a long photo lens?” he asked.

“Not at Escorial, but probably in Hawaii,” I said.

“That’s the litmus test. This summer, it’s probably not a huge deal. Zach has camp for most of July and August, so he’ll be doing that. I’d recommend that if you two want to be together, he takes the occasional weekend and goes to Escorial,” Barry said.

“We’re going to London and Paris with Will’s grandfather,” Zach said.

Barry frowned. “That may not look good.”

“He’s a professor at Stanford, and he’s hiring me as an intern to help him with some research,” Zach explained.

“Different deal entirely,” Barry said grinning. “Go for it.”

“So basically we have to make sure we’re just buds when we’re not behind closed doors?” I summarized.

“That’s a good way to think about it. Remember my line about the camera. If a camera with a zoom lens could take a picture, you’re in a place where you can’t be intimate.”

“That shouldn’t be too hard,” Zach said hopefully, as he looked at me.

“I can work with that,” I agreed.

“Are you two exclusive?” he asked.

I waited for Zach to answer. “We haven’t been.”

“Here’s what we need, just to shore things up.” He turned to Zach. “We need you to either get a girlfriend, or fuck at least one different chick every other month. That number goes up to one or two a month in college. At the same time, you don’t fuck around with any other guys. If you hook up with another dude at a party or something, that’s really high-risk. That will actually out you faster than a long-term relationship with Will.” He watched our reactions to that, but we were both pretty stoic. “If you do decide to mess around with another dude, it should be someone that you know, and can trust.”

“In other words, someone he could have a relationship with, just like he does with me,” I said, trying not to sound bitchy about it, but failing miserably.

“Even if I did that, it wouldn’t be like we are,” Zach said to me earnestly. I gave him a weak smile to show him I could live with it. Or at least I thought I could live with it.

Barry turned his attention to me. “It would be useful if you had a relationship with another guy. Someone who we could point to and say he was your boyfriend. And it has to be someone that Zach gets along with, so you guys can all be seen together. People will think that if Zach’s hanging out with you and your boyfriend, you two aren’t messing around.” I watched Zach turn green with jealousy, and I felt sorry for him.

“I’ll see what I can do about that,” I said, even though I had no clue how I would handle that.

“We can probably make it through this next year, Zach’s senior year, without you having one other guy you’re with, but when he gets to college, it would be helpful. If you can’t do it, we can try and explain away your time together.”

“So these rules aren’t deal killers?” I asked.

“Some are, some aren’t. Your relationships with other people aren’t going to ruin Zach, but they just give us plausible deniability. It muddies up the water. So if someone decides to start spreading innuendoes that you and Zach are a couple, there’s his girlfriend and your boyfriend to basically prove that’s not true. If you don’t have a boyfriend, but he has a girlfriend, it’s not as good, but it’s not deadly. If you don’t have a boyfriend, and he’s out banging all kinds of chicks, that still works, but again, it’s not as strong as you both being in a relationship with other people.”

I got what Zach had been talking about before, when he was worried that I’d get sick of these rules and just bail on him. Our eyes locked onto each other, and I could see he was worried about just that. I gave him a gentle smile, to tell him we could work through this. He was worth it.

Copyright © 2014 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 46
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I haven't been on the site for quite a while due to a bad illness, but I just finished the last story and what has been posted so far for Flux. I love the entire book "Chronicles Of An Academic Predator" and I have always loved Brad and Matt and Will and Wade. The story is great and and I just want to say "Thank You". I am recovering and this is the best book I have read amd once again look forward to each new chapter. Keep up the good work.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/27/2014 11:33 AM, Mardi614 said:
I haven't been on the site for quite a while due to a bad illness, but I just finished the last story and what has been posted so far for Flux. I love the entire book "Chronicles Of An Academic Predator" and I have always loved Brad and Matt and Will and Wade. The story is great and and I just want to say "Thank You". I am recovering and this is the best book I have read amd once again look forward to each new chapter. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the review! I'm so glad to hear you're doing better, and that I could provide you with some distracting entertainment.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

A very interesting chapter.

 

It sounds like Brad maybe able to start moving on. After his episode on the beach he might have started to finally get some closure with losing Robbie. Hopefully he can start to move on and he and Matt can have a civil relationship. They have a bumpy road. It must have been interesting to watch Brad got through the facial expressions. I think Matt covered up how he truely felt about.... I would have been scared shitless if some collapsed like that and started making faces.

 

Will and Zach have an extremely bumpy road ahead. Between hiding their relationship and Wally and Clara not approving it is going to get really interesting.

Great Chapter Mark!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/27/2014 12:23 PM, Edward said:
A very interesting chapter.

 

It sounds like Brad maybe able to start moving on. After his episode on the beach he might have started to finally get some closure with losing Robbie. Hopefully he can start to move on and he and Matt can have a civil relationship. They have a bumpy road. It must have been interesting to watch Brad got through the facial expressions. I think Matt covered up how he truely felt about.... I would have been scared shitless if some collapsed like that and started making faces.

 

Will and Zach have an extremely bumpy road ahead. Between hiding their relationship and Wally and Clara not approving it is going to get really interesting.

Great Chapter Mark!!!

I think that's what Brad has needed to do all along. He needed to work his way around to forgiving Robbie.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Wow! The flashback had a major impact. Well done!

As far as Will and Zach go, the road map looks a little more complicated with every scenario they think about......

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/27/2014 01:30 PM, Daddydavek said:
Wow! The flashback had a major impact. Well done!

As far as Will and Zach go, the road map looks a little more complicated with every scenario they think about......

Thanks! I thought it would be fun to work that into the current book. It really was a seminal point in Brad's relationship with Robbie.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

When we think of Brad, in the past we see the strong powerful person. Now we see again what the loss of Robbie did. Maybe now, after the specter of Robbie on the Beach and the final forgiveness Brad can move on. J hope so. Once Brad forgives Robbie, Matt can forgive Brad. As was said with Tony and Will, this needed healing.

 

 

Barry is trying to show the mine field ahead for Will and Zach. Can they make it? Robbie and Brad were about this same age when they meet. Stef was 16 when he met JP. Again Mr Arbour you have given us a amazing chapter. If you think of those first chapters of CAP as a tiny seed, look at the great tree which has grown from it. Happy Arbor Day, Mr Arbour!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/27/2014 01:43 PM, rjo said:
When we think of Brad, in the past we see the strong powerful person. Now we see again what the loss of Robbie did. Maybe now, after the specter of Robbie on the Beach and the final forgiveness Brad can move on. J hope so. Once Brad forgives Robbie, Matt can forgive Brad. As was said with Tony and Will, this needed healing.

 

 

Barry is trying to show the mine field ahead for Will and Zach. Can they make it? Robbie and Brad were about this same age when they meet. Stef was 16 when he met JP. Again Mr Arbour you have given us a amazing chapter. If you think of those first chapters of CAP as a tiny seed, look at the great tree which has grown from it. Happy Arbor Day, Mr Arbour!!!

Thanks! I think it's possible to meet your soul mate in your teens, but the journey forward is going to be very challenging. Not only do Will and Zach have to deal with the limitations on their relationships due to football, but they'll also be going through some pretty radical changes as they mature. Tough to hang together for that.
  • Like 4
Link to comment

Mr. Arbour, you really have gone too far this time Sir!

 

Blessed Saint Patrick’s Day is not chapter worthy, but you are fine throwing your posting schedule to the wind for Arbor Day? Shall I be extra sure to check in for a chapter on May 8th to celebrate VE Day?

 

Does your continued barrage of depraved insults to Irishmen everywhere know no bounds sir? If it were not for my aversion to violence of any kind, my profound respect for your artistry, and the great personal pleasure I derive from your work, I would suggest that this continued barrage of insults against the Celtic People has long past the point where a satisfactory resolution can be achieved by any manner other than that proscribed by the Code Duello!

 

I say, Good Day Sir!

 

Jason

Link to comment

Hi Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Flux.

 

A great chapter, with 2 very important conversations.

 

I hope that Brad has further purged himself from the more toxic parts of his relationship with Robbie. I think that, if anything, it's helped Matt show Brad is seriously fucked up and deserves pity.

 

After the gauntlet was thrown I think the conversation between Will/Zach and Barry went well. Let's see how Zach's senior year plays out.

 

Lots of loving cuddles.

 

Maarten

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It was a happy Arbor Day, thank you. Nice reconciliation chapter, I'm glad Matt is finally letting go of some of that poor me petulance even if you had to make me teary by bringing Robbie back in a spirit hallucination. Is Barry related to CS Lewis because the closet he's creating for Zach rivals Narnia any day? Loving the story, thanks again.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Mark,

 

Brad

  • Brother: Will calling Matt his brother showed Brad both: how much Will is improving his relationship with Matt and how important it was to improve his own relationship with him.
  • Flashback: I think this will be the best thing that gave Brad a push in getting over Robbie. Without it he may have never forgave him or given his heart fully to another guy. It also allowed Matt to see firsthand how much Robbie’s death screwed up Brad’s perspective. Now Matt knows why Brad rationalized hating him.

Rules

Barry’s rules seem reasonable, but (like his covers) some of them worry me.

  • Rule One: No PDA is an easy rule. It may be hard at first, but I don’t see an issue with this one.
  • Rule Two: Again, I see not issue with this rule. Will may not be able to always find someone to go with, but I don’t see missing a game or two as a major concern.
  • Rule Three: This seems to actually be a good rule. It will give them a way to spend time together. They could treat this as a kind of date. However, (like rule two) they may not always find a third guy to go with them since family is not an option (I’m going off of Barry’s reaction to the trip with JP).
  • Side Rule: They may think the Litmus test will be easy, but this will be the hardest one. They will not be able to be physical with any hotel room with a window. Even with the curtens covering it lights can make shadows to give them away.

Covers

Barry is hitting the bulls eyes when it comes to the NFL. His cover options make sense, but some of them worry me.

  • Religious: While I am not religious myself, I think this cover would have been the best option for Will and Zack. Zack may have accepted he is gay, but even Will has admitted sex with women is fun (just not as fun as with guys). So while being religious would require him to date without sex it still could be an issue when he gets older and is expected to marry one.
  • Dating Different Girls: this cover may not be a bad option for Zack at face value; but tt depends on the girl he dates. If she is an understanding friend it could work out. She would be ok with dating him in the public eye while knowing Will is Zack’s main love. However, if a girl was random or falls in love with Zack she may blackmail him to leave Will. Another outcome is blackmailing Will and/or Zack for money.
  • Multiple Girls: Zack having sex multiple girls is a good cover, but it does have some cons. The girls can never know about Will. If they do and they get jaded they may reveal Will and Zack’s relationship out of spite. This option does, however, remove the chance of Zack falling in love with one.
  • Girlfriend/Boyfriend: This is the cover with the most risk and worry for me. It may lead to a break-up due to one of them falling in love with someone else. It also will strain their relationship by testing their trust and jealousy limits. Since Will having a boyfriend is the strongest cover option this means both not falling in love with him and trusting the other boyfriend. I fear someone like Tony. This type may become jealous or blackmail Will for money to hide Zack’s sexuality.

Will

  • I know Will thinks these rules/covers are worth it for Zack, but Will is going to be tested. He falls in love easily and risks falling for his cover boyfriend. He may get sick of the rules since Will is both independent (and the rules are like chains) and open. I do not know if he will be able to hide his relationship from public eyes if his emotions get the best of him.

 

Loved this chapter a lot,

Kody

  • Like 1
Link to comment

A truly amazing chapter filled with loss and love and hope and forgiveness.

 

People don't always understand how powerful specific places can be and how they can trigger deeper emotions and memories. The flashback was written so eloquently and with such love. Brad needs to forgive Robbie and he needs to understand that the core of what made Robbie who he was left him no choice but to go back after Jeanine and Hank. I hope this was a start to Brad coming to terms with what happened and working toward recovery. I hope that Brad and Matt can find a way to have each other in their lives because they both really do need each other.

 

What a truly wonderful way to end a lovely Sunday afternoon...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I have read this chapter three times. I found it amazingly well written...filled with a lot of emotion. I loved the flashback of Brad and Robbie..it made me want to go back and reread the whole series(although i don't know if i could relive the emotional highs and lows-lol). It was good for the soul to witness Brad under repair...i have always cared much for his character...and his forgiveness of Robbie was not only a beautiful thing, it was done beautifully Mr. Arbour. A big part of Brad's strength was his ability to forgive Robbie's actions and consequent hurts throughout their relationship and it was proof to me that Brad is recovering in that he found the strength to once more forgive the love of his life and to remember why he always did.It took me awhile to figure out how Brad could call Wade his best friend and at the same time use him to hurt Matt deliberately (there is still a small part of me that is sceptical of his position that his feelings for Wade were not romantic-to admit that to himself would definitely make him feel like he was cheating on Robbie) but i have come to realize that things are not black and white when it comes to such a horrifying trauma and as Brad stated, he was incredibly f'd up. There were many things at play here, and the dynamic was such that all three played a part. Sir, you wrote this chapter with such understanding and sensitivity to the situation and i thank you for leaving me with the very welcome feeling of blissful satisfaction. In the future, considering myself a father first and foremost, i would hope to see Brad take on the role of a real stepfather to Matt and fill the role of Robbie...i think it would really help with the healing, depending on how close Matt wants to be with Brad..he has forgiven him but it is something that will be hard to forget. Even if that is the case i would hope that Brad would keep trying...as far as Will and Matt are concerned, they are brothers who have lost their "pops" and i really think they all need each other. Thanks again Mr. Arbour...you get my "cherry" review as well. Cheers.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

As always you have taken us along for an emotional encounter that was more than a bit of a surprise. Too often many if not most of us have get hit hard to get to awareness of what has really been going on with us. And this is especially true of Brad and Matt. Your characters are so real to the reader.

An aside question about how much time you spend in a average week writing, editing, and communicating with your team about your team about your stories? You develop and weave you plots so well. Then there is the whole thing of your great productivity! Thanks.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/27/2014 04:31 PM, said:
Mr. Arbour, you really have gone too far this time Sir!

 

Blessed Saint Patrick’s Day is not chapter worthy, but you are fine throwing your posting schedule to the wind for Arbor Day? Shall I be extra sure to check in for a chapter on May 8th to celebrate VE Day?

 

Does your continued barrage of depraved insults to Irishmen everywhere know no bounds sir? If it were not for my aversion to violence of any kind, my profound respect for your artistry, and the great personal pleasure I derive from your work, I would suggest that this continued barrage of insults against the Celtic People has long past the point where a satisfactory resolution can be achieved by any manner other than that proscribed by the Code Duello!

 

I say, Good Day Sir!

 

Jason

Well, if the Irish would simply change it from St. Patrick's to St. Mark's day, I'd be much more compliant. The egotist in me appreciates a day named almost after me, even if it is about trees.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/27/2014 04:53 PM, shyboy85 said:
Hi Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Flux.

 

A great chapter, with 2 very important conversations.

 

I hope that Brad has further purged himself from the more toxic parts of his relationship with Robbie. I think that, if anything, it's helped Matt show Brad is seriously fucked up and deserves pity.

 

After the gauntlet was thrown I think the conversation between Will/Zach and Barry went well. Let's see how Zach's senior year plays out.

 

Lots of loving cuddles.

 

Maarten

Great points Maarten, and I think you're right about both conversations. I think that for Matt, he saw Brad as the strong and unflappable guy he'd known since 1998, so it was probably a tough transition for him to adapt to the fucked-up Brad of 2001-2002.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/27/2014 05:28 PM, Miles Long said:
It was a happy Arbor Day, thank you. Nice reconciliation chapter, I'm glad Matt is finally letting go of some of that poor me petulance even if you had to make me teary by bringing Robbie back in a spirit hallucination. Is Barry related to CS Lewis because the closet he's creating for Zach rivals Narnia any day? Loving the story, thanks again.
Thanks Miles. I don't know anything about this fantasy world (Narnia) that you speak of. My fantasies usually involve penises. ;-)
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/27/2014 10:47 PM, KodeOwl said:
Mark,

 

Brad

  • Brother: Will calling Matt his brother showed Brad both: how much Will is improving his relationship with Matt and how important it was to improve his own relationship with him.
  • Flashback: I think this will be the best thing that gave Brad a push in getting over Robbie. Without it he may have never forgave him or given his heart fully to another guy. It also allowed Matt to see firsthand how much Robbie’s death screwed up Brad’s perspective. Now Matt knows why Brad rationalized hating him.

Rules

Barry’s rules seem reasonable, but (like his covers) some of them worry me.

  • Rule One: No PDA is an easy rule. It may be hard at first, but I don’t see an issue with this one.
  • Rule Two: Again, I see not issue with this rule. Will may not be able to always find someone to go with, but I don’t see missing a game or two as a major concern.
  • Rule Three: This seems to actually be a good rule. It will give them a way to spend time together. They could treat this as a kind of date. However, (like rule two) they may not always find a third guy to go with them since family is not an option (I’m going off of Barry’s reaction to the trip with JP).
  • Side Rule: They may think the Litmus test will be easy, but this will be the hardest one. They will not be able to be physical with any hotel room with a window. Even with the curtens covering it lights can make shadows to give them away.

Covers

Barry is hitting the bulls eyes when it comes to the NFL. His cover options make sense, but some of them worry me.

  • Religious: While I am not religious myself, I think this cover would have been the best option for Will and Zack. Zack may have accepted he is gay, but even Will has admitted sex with women is fun (just not as fun as with guys). So while being religious would require him to date without sex it still could be an issue when he gets older and is expected to marry one.
  • Dating Different Girls: this cover may not be a bad option for Zack at face value; but tt depends on the girl he dates. If she is an understanding friend it could work out. She would be ok with dating him in the public eye while knowing Will is Zack’s main love. However, if a girl was random or falls in love with Zack she may blackmail him to leave Will. Another outcome is blackmailing Will and/or Zack for money.
  • Multiple Girls: Zack having sex multiple girls is a good cover, but it does have some cons. The girls can never know about Will. If they do and they get jaded they may reveal Will and Zack’s relationship out of spite. This option does, however, remove the chance of Zack falling in love with one.
  • Girlfriend/Boyfriend: This is the cover with the most risk and worry for me. It may lead to a break-up due to one of them falling in love with someone else. It also will strain their relationship by testing their trust and jealousy limits. Since Will having a boyfriend is the strongest cover option this means both not falling in love with him and trusting the other boyfriend. I fear someone like Tony. This type may become jealous or blackmail Will for money to hide Zack’s sexuality.

Will

  • I know Will thinks these rules/covers are worth it for Zack, but Will is going to be tested. He falls in love easily and risks falling for his cover boyfriend. He may get sick of the rules since Will is both independent (and the rules are like chains) and open. I do not know if he will be able to hide his relationship from public eyes if his emotions get the best of him.

 

Loved this chapter a lot,

Kody

Great points Kody!

 

Two of the important issues you raised are the risk that a cover girlfriend/boyfriend can become more important, and that the rules will ultimately chaff against Will's personality. I think the former is the bigger risk, because I think Will can be a devoted partner, and I think that he'll put up with a lot of crap for the man he loves.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/28/2014 06:49 AM, centexhairysub said:
A truly amazing chapter filled with loss and love and hope and forgiveness.

 

People don't always understand how powerful specific places can be and how they can trigger deeper emotions and memories. The flashback was written so eloquently and with such love. Brad needs to forgive Robbie and he needs to understand that the core of what made Robbie who he was left him no choice but to go back after Jeanine and Hank. I hope this was a start to Brad coming to terms with what happened and working toward recovery. I hope that Brad and Matt can find a way to have each other in their lives because they both really do need each other.

 

What a truly wonderful way to end a lovely Sunday afternoon...

Thanks so much! It makes sense that Brad would be struggling to forgive Robbie. Brad has never really been able to let go of anger (or other negative feelings) without a proper apology. He was actually able to figure out a way to get what he needed.

 

And I totally get what you're saying about places. Sometimes I think memories linger at a location, like bits not erased on a hard drive.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/28/2014 11:53 AM, Headstall said:
I have read this chapter three times. I found it amazingly well written...filled with a lot of emotion. I loved the flashback of Brad and Robbie..it made me want to go back and reread the whole series(although i don't know if i could relive the emotional highs and lows-lol). It was good for the soul to witness Brad under repair...i have always cared much for his character...and his forgiveness of Robbie was not only a beautiful thing, it was done beautifully Mr. Arbour. A big part of Brad's strength was his ability to forgive Robbie's actions and consequent hurts throughout their relationship and it was proof to me that Brad is recovering in that he found the strength to once more forgive the love of his life and to remember why he always did.It took me awhile to figure out how Brad could call Wade his best friend and at the same time use him to hurt Matt deliberately (there is still a small part of me that is sceptical of his position that his feelings for Wade were not romantic-to admit that to himself would definitely make him feel like he was cheating on Robbie) but i have come to realize that things are not black and white when it comes to such a horrifying trauma and as Brad stated, he was incredibly f'd up. There were many things at play here, and the dynamic was such that all three played a part. Sir, you wrote this chapter with such understanding and sensitivity to the situation and i thank you for leaving me with the very welcome feeling of blissful satisfaction. In the future, considering myself a father first and foremost, i would hope to see Brad take on the role of a real stepfather to Matt and fill the role of Robbie...i think it would really help with the healing, depending on how close Matt wants to be with Brad..he has forgiven him but it is something that will be hard to forget. Even if that is the case i would hope that Brad would keep trying...as far as Will and Matt are concerned, they are brothers who have lost their "pops" and i really think they all need each other. Thanks again Mr. Arbour...you get my "cherry" review as well. Cheers.
Thanks for giving me your cherry. I'll try to be gentle. ;-)

 

You raise a great point, in that Brad and Robbie's entire relationship dynamic involved a lot of fucking up, and then the requisite begging for forgiveness afterwards. If this really is an epiphany for Brad, then he'll probably start to feel toward Matt like you've suggested. Quite frankly, that's probably the biggest test of all.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/29/2014 02:44 AM, RLC MA said:
As always you have taken us along for an emotional encounter that was more than a bit of a surprise. Too often many if not most of us have get hit hard to get to awareness of what has really been going on with us. And this is especially true of Brad and Matt. Your characters are so real to the reader.

An aside question about how much time you spend in a average week writing, editing, and communicating with your team about your team about your stories? You develop and weave you plots so well. Then there is the whole thing of your great productivity! Thanks.

Thank you so much! I think that Matt and Brad are both pretty stubborn and hard-headed, so a knock-out punch is usually required.

 

It's hard for me to quantify just how much time I spend writing. It's usually done when I have free time, and it gets more frenetic when I have an inspired plot idea.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Mark, wow. :) A thoroughly dramatic chapter, as always...you showed us more background to the scenarios running and gave us further insight into the characters and their motivations--always a sign of well-written fiction in my book.

I enjoy this series so much that I truly hate it when I can't fully endorse a chapter, and this one has two points which I just can't buy into: first, and foremost, the scene with Barry; I felt let down by Brad's reaction and Barry's entire 'Rules'. Yes, I know Zach can't come out, even in fiction, but that Brad let the whole issue of who is paying him slide strikes me as totally un-Bradlike. Unless this is another sign of his self-absorption which I see as his major flaw as being a future head of the family? Had it been his own advisor, he would not have sat still for that at all. I also see some of Barry's rules as a recipe to break up Will and Zach, and I think Barry should have been given his walking papers.

 

Second, the Matt/Brad scene: very striking, very moving, and perhaps cathartic for them both, but I still don't buy it as the easy fix it appears to be to their situation. I would lay money on the fact that Brad/Wade are not ended...and I feel that the 'pat' explanation of the affair being a way to get at Robbie through Matt a bit too convenient. For a long while Matt was not a favorite character of mine, but to see him willing to sweep Wade's hypocrisy under the rug is just galling. Like Brad, Wade has always been more concerned with iimage than anything else...and I just think that the idea of Matt/Wade being together again is doing Matt a disservice--even at his worst, he was honest with Wade, and as Trust is so central to Will's universe, so is Honesty to Matt's--to let him ignore Wade's actions for whatever reason is no basis for a relationship to flourish.

 

A while back you mentioned that Claremont was based on Zanesville--funny thing, that! I have been there several times, and have friends who live there. A nice town, bigger than the one I grew up in. My friends lived in a house which was a mansion of a previous governor, huge with lots of two-storey bay windows and a walk-in clothes dryer...they now live in a more modern home in the steep hills outside of town! Very tough getting to in winter, I can tell you

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 04/29/2014 08:20 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Mark, wow. :) A thoroughly dramatic chapter, as always...you showed us more background to the scenarios running and gave us further insight into the characters and their motivations--always a sign of well-written fiction in my book.

I enjoy this series so much that I truly hate it when I can't fully endorse a chapter, and this one has two points which I just can't buy into: first, and foremost, the scene with Barry; I felt let down by Brad's reaction and Barry's entire 'Rules'. Yes, I know Zach can't come out, even in fiction, but that Brad let the whole issue of who is paying him slide strikes me as totally un-Bradlike. Unless this is another sign of his self-absorption which I see as his major flaw as being a future head of the family? Had it been his own advisor, he would not have sat still for that at all. I also see some of Barry's rules as a recipe to break up Will and Zach, and I think Barry should have been given his walking papers.

 

Second, the Matt/Brad scene: very striking, very moving, and perhaps cathartic for them both, but I still don't buy it as the easy fix it appears to be to their situation. I would lay money on the fact that Brad/Wade are not ended...and I feel that the 'pat' explanation of the affair being a way to get at Robbie through Matt a bit too convenient. For a long while Matt was not a favorite character of mine, but to see him willing to sweep Wade's hypocrisy under the rug is just galling. Like Brad, Wade has always been more concerned with iimage than anything else...and I just think that the idea of Matt/Wade being together again is doing Matt a disservice--even at his worst, he was honest with Wade, and as Trust is so central to Will's universe, so is Honesty to Matt's--to let him ignore Wade's actions for whatever reason is no basis for a relationship to flourish.

 

A while back you mentioned that Claremont was based on Zanesville--funny thing, that! I have been there several times, and have friends who live there. A nice town, bigger than the one I grew up in. My friends lived in a house which was a mansion of a previous governor, huge with lots of two-storey bay windows and a walk-in clothes dryer...they now live in a more modern home in the steep hills outside of town! Very tough getting to in winter, I can tell you

Thanks for the review! I'm hoping that sometime in the near future I can get to Zanesville...I haven't been there before, which is probably just as well, since it gives me more mental freedom with Claremont.

 

I don't mind if you can't fully endorse a chapter, because that's not all that unusual. I would point out, though, that much of what you said is you not wanting the characters to do what they did (Matt/Wade/Brad), and not whether they would actually do them or not. I say this to point out that often readers bring their own idea of how things should be, and then feel that I'm wrong when things don't turn out that way. I'm used to it, and the kind manner you gave me feedback made it just fine.

 

I think that the issue with Brad, and who was paying Barry, is actually pretty easy to understand. Brad's looking at this guy and sees him as someone who he can influence, no matter who paid him.

 

I don't know if Matt and Wade will end up together or not, but Matt is definitely not going to run Wade out of his life. They've been through too much together, and have to tight of a bond, to let that go. And what we're seeing here is that 9-11 so messed these people up that they acted irrationally. Now that they are recovering, they're recovering their senses (to a degree). This is what JP was saying when he told Will he made allowances for the traumas they were dealing with.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

First an apology for not reviewing right away. It was a crazy weekend, and writing reviews on the tablet is much harder than it needs to be.

 

Now, the other reviewers haven't left me much to say, so let me say Thank You for the Arbor Day celebration. Any day with a chapter is a little bit better, and I am enjoying the newest entries to the CAP saga immensely.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..