Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,480 Words
  • 8,158 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flux - 21. Chapter 21

June 27, 2002

Chicago, IL

Matt

 

Time seemed to move in slow motion as I stared at the guy in front of me. I hadn’t seen Cam Heely in over four years. He was the first guy I’d been with. His was the first dick I’d sucked, and he was the first guy to fuck me. He still had dark brown hair, but it was cut much shorter now, and that made him look prettier, ironically enough. That was probably because of his really pointed, chiseled features, the ones that made him seem almost feminine, unless you took in the rest of his body. His cheeks weren’t quite as sunken as they used to be, but he still had a long narrow face. He was shorter than me, at about 5’10”. Cam had been fit in high school; you had to be if you were going to play hockey. From what I could tell, he still was, and like me, he’d gotten broader, with bigger shoulders now that he was in his twenties.

He looked at me nervously, probably as shocked as I was, and then I saw that familiar twinkle in his brown eyes. He began to smile just as I did, and that exposed his perfect white teeth, and the cute little dimple in his left cheek. “Holy shit!” I said. I threw caution to the wind and enveloped him in a massive bear hug, which was pretty forward, so I was relieved to feel him returning it just as strongly. The drinks and drugs had dulled the ache in my ribs when I’d been dancing, and fortunately those chemicals helped me endure the relative pain of this bear hug without cringing. “How the fuck have you been?”

“Not bad,” he said, grinning. “It’s good to see you.”

“It’s good to see you too,” I said. “I tried to call you after, uh, I heard you came out of the closet, but your phone didn’t work.”

“Sorry about that,” he said. “My parents freaked out about it, and I pretty much decided to cut my ties to Cleveland.”

“Not a bad idea, when you think about Cleveland,” I joked.

“I should have called you too,” he said. “I saw the article when you came out.”

“I made a bigger splash than you did,” I teased.

“Yeah, because you picked up a famous boyfriend,” he said, chuckling. “You guys still together?”

I shook my head. “Nah. We’re good friends.” With Cam’s reference to Wade, we both seemed to realize that we weren’t alone. Josh was looking at us intently, and not a little worried, while Will was simply interested. “You live in Chicago?”

“Yeah. Been here for a couple of years now,” he said. “I decided to finish my degree up here.”

“Where are you going to school?”

“DePaul,” he said. “What about you?”

“I’m moving here this fall. I’m starting on my MBA at the University of Chicago,” I told him.

“You in town for long?”

“We leave tomorrow morning,” I said, disappointed now. He seemed down about it too.

He looked at Josh, who was obviously anxious for us to end our conversation. “We’ll do something when you get back.”

“Sounds good,” I said, and we exchanged phone numbers. “Good to bump into you again,” I said, directing that to Josh.

“I’ll keep you up on all the progress,” he said, making it sound like our relationship was all business, which I guess it was.

Will and I walked out and got into the waiting limo. “We could have stayed longer,” he said.

“No.” I shook my head for emphasis. “Josh is freaking out because he cheated on Cam with me, and because Cam and I know each other.”

“Sucks to be him,” he said. “You gonna tell Cam?”

“I don’t know,” I said. I really didn’t want to think about that right now. The last thing I needed was another moral dilemma.

“So who was that dude? He was fucking hot.”

“He is,” I agreed. “He was the dude who got my cherry.”

“Are you serious? Wow. He’s like the guy who blazed the Oregon Trail. Shit, hundreds of people followed after him,” Will said, giving me shit.

“Like you’re a virgin,” I said, effectively shutting him up, even though we were laughing about it.

“Did you go to school together?”

I shook my head. “We met playing hockey. He played on a different team, and was a pain in the ass on the ice. I boarded him really good during one of our games, and then we met at a party later, and ended up blowing each other.”

“Dude, is that a normal sequence in hockey?” he asked, cracking me up. “You board someone, then blow them later?”

“I wish,” I joked. “It was a pretty intense experience for me. I’d convinced myself that I wasn’t going to be gay, that I’d only allow myself to fantasize about guys in my mind, so when I hooked up with him, it just blew that plan out of the water.”

“So were you guys together after that?”

“No,” I said, remembering how upset I was back then. “I was hella pissed at him, because he didn’t call me back after we hooked up, and totally blew me off.”

“That’s raw.”

“Yeah, it was. I ended up playing against him again and hit him with a really cheap shot. I still feel bad about it.” That cheap shot had cost me most of my credibility with my teammates. “We didn’t see each other until later that semester, when we ran into each other at a prom. It was for a private girls’ school, and we both blew off our dates and snuck up to my hotel room for a quickie. That was the first time a dude fucked me.”

“At some chick’s prom?” he asked, and we laughed about that together. “You had a really strange way of hooking up with dudes back then.”

“True,” I said. “I guess that night I was the girl too.”

“So then what happened?”

“He told me that he didn’t call me because he was worried we’d get too into each other and we’d be outed. I told him that was bullshit, and we could hang out together and have it look like we were just buds, then we could fuck like bunnies behind closed doors.”

“Kind of like Zach and me,” Will said sadly.

“Yeah, kind of like that. But after he fucked me, and it was so amazing, he decided it was worth the risk to start hanging out with me.”

He laughed at my cockiness. “You probably damn near raped the poor dude when he came over.”

“Damn near,” I said, winking at him. “So we were hanging out, and he did something he wasn’t supposed to do.”

“What?”

“He fell in love with me, but I didn’t love him.”

“Ouch,” Will said, understanding Cam’s pain.

“Yeah, and I felt like shit about it. He pretty much avoided me after graduation. I knew I’d hurt him, but shit, what was I supposed to do? I was going to Cali, and he was going back east. No way would it have worked.” I sighed. “So I went off to Malibu, and that’s when I met all of you guys.”

“So it had a happy ending,” he said, and put his arm around me.

“Yeah, it did,” I said, smiling back at him.

“You didn’t do anything wrong,” Will said. “It just sucks.”

“Yep.”

“So he’s in Chicago, you’re moving here, he obviously still likes you.”

“He doesn’t like me,” I objected.

“Dude, are you serious? I mean, I don’t know the guy, but it was obvious as fuck he was boning for you.” I didn’t get that vibe at all.

“I think he was just happy to see me,” I said, challenging him.

“Whatever,” he said. “He was totally into you.”

“So?”

Will rolled his eyes. “So maybe you can give it another try?”

“No,” I said emphatically. “No way.”

“Why not?”

“For starters, he’s got a boyfriend,” I pointed out.

“Yeah, but Josh is a scumball, and cheated on him,” Will said.

“That doesn’t give me the right to break them up,” I pointed out. “Besides, that’s not even the biggest reason.”

“What’s the biggest reason?”

“I don’t want to be with anyone. I want to be my own person. I don’t want any major commitments. I was part of ‘Matt and Wade’ for over three years. It’s time for me to just be Matt.”

“You mean you want to be slutty?”

“It’s not about the sex,” I said, slightly frustrated that he wasn’t following me. “It’s about not being with someone. I’ll probably have sex, though. A lot.”

“Probably,” he said, and we laughed about that.

“When you’re in a relationship, you’re responsible for someone, and to someone. You’re responsible for them in that you have to care about them, watch out for them, and not hurt them. And you’re responsible to them because you can’t just do what you want to do; you have to coordinate things with them. So it’s not about fucking everything that moves. It’s about freedom to do what I want.”

He looked at me and nodded. “I understand.”

“You ever feel that way?” I asked.

He smiled at me, that blissful smile of love, and shook his head. “No.”

 

July 1, 2002

Los Angeles, CA

 

“The rest of them are meeting us there?” I confirmed with Will, as the limo drove us toward Anders-Hayes.

“That’s the plan,” he said. “I talked to Dad, and he’s already there, along with Stef. Darius was supposed to be on his way.”

“What about JJ?” He wasn’t legally an adult, so he couldn’t vote his own shares, but I kind of assumed he’d want to be there anyway.

“Last I heard, he wasn’t sure he could make it. I haven’t found out if he’s on his way back from Boston.”

“Does he like it there?” I hadn’t talked to him for a while, and I hadn’t talked to Wade since I’d gotten back from Chicago.

“I think he’d rather be in LA, but he’s doing alright,” Will said. “It’s hard to tell, because with JJ, he’ll basically bitch about anything.”

“He’s talented, and he’s a diva,” I agreed. “I think it’s going to be funny as hell to watch Wade try to deal with him.”

Will laughed. “I talked to Tiffany on Friday, and she said it was hilarious. Wade was trying to convince JJ to configure his bathroom differently, and Wade had all these logical reasons why it would be better, but JJ just folded his arms and refused to change it.”

“Logic won’t work with JJ,” I said.

“Nope,” Will agreed. “You have to make it all about him.”

“Unless it’s really important,” I noted. JJ would be in your corner if your back was against the wall. “It’s not the big stuff he causes problems with. It’s the little stuff.”

“Yeah,” Will said, shaking his head, “and that’s what drives Wade nuts.”

“Because to Wade, you just don’t dick around with the little shit,” I agreed. We laughed about their dynamic until the limo pulled up in front of Anders-Hayes.

“I wonder if this will be the last time we ever walk into this building,” Will said.

“Maybe,” I said as we got out of the car. “But it’s just a building.”

He stopped me, and looked at me intently. “Are you cool with this?”

I was frustrated with him, because we were standing on the sidewalk, about to go into a shareholder meeting, where the sale was all but a formality. This was not the time for second thoughts. “Yes.”

Will looked up at the mid-rise building and gestured at the name on it. “I’m sorry. I know it’s a business, but it’s got their names on it.”

“I never met Greg,” I said, referring to the ‘Anders’ of Anders-Hayes. He was Stef’s partner for many years, and had died of a heart attack when he was still pretty young.

“He was a good guy almost until the end,” Will said. “I mean, I was a kid, and he was always nice to me, but the last year that he was alive he was pretty grumpy. That door between the houses was always opened; but he got pissed off at us one day and yelled at us, then it was closed.”

“What did you guys do? Knock something over?”

“No,” Will said. “Darius, JJ, and I were running from our house to theirs, and we were being pretty noisy. We were going to go swimming. Greg came out of the kitchen and just screamed at us to shut the fuck up. Totally freaked us out.”

“Then what happened?”

“We shut up and went back to our house, only JJ told my mom, and she told Dad, and he had a talk with Stef, and then the door was shut.” He sighed. “Then Stef and Greg had a big fight, and things were pretty strained after that.”

“You think you guys ruined their relationship?” I asked, knowing how stupid that was, but sensing his residual guilt.

“We didn’t help it.”

“You should ask Stef about it, so you don’t blame yourself,” I suggested. “But if Greg came out and screamed at three boys, his grandsons, it sounds like the problems were already there.”

“Maybe,” Will said, thinking about it. “It’s just weird. It feels like we’re giving up a piece of both of them, and I don’t want to do that.”

“Maybe this is the piece of them we need to give up,” I told him. “Besides, the business wasn’t always good for either of them.”

He shrugged, and turned to head inside, with me walking next to him. We got through the door and found Evelyn waiting to greet us. She’d been Robbie’s assistant, then had gotten a promotion to head up operations. “Hello! It’s so good to see both of you,” she said, and gave us Hollywood hugs, with the fake kisses on each cheek.

“Good to see you too,” I said.

“I was commanded to remind you not to miss the Bastille Day party,” Will said to her severely.

“I’ll be there,” she promised. She led us to the elevator, and it whisked us up to the top level, where Robbie’s office had been. We didn’t go in there; instead, we went into the big boardroom.

“Welcome,” Brad said, as he came over to us. He gave Will a nice hug, and then turned his attention to me. I reached out and hugged him, making the first move because I sensed he wouldn’t initiate it, but he returned it readily enough. “It’s good to see you.”

“It’s good to see you too,” I said. “You staying here tonight?”

“I think that’s the plan.”

“Let’s hang out later,” I offered.

“It’s a plan,” he said, and gave me a sincere smile. I greeted Stef next, and then he re-introduced me to Alex Danvers, a really handsome dude who had taken over as CEO. I’d met him at Robbie’s memorial service last October, but I’d been so fucked up I didn’t remember much of it.

“Thanks for coming to the meeting,” he said, as he held my hand for just a little longer than normal.

“I’m glad to be here,” I said, which wasn’t entirely true, but it worked. Darius came in after that, and greeted everyone but me. That kind of freaked me out, since we hadn’t had a chance to talk about all this shit. But evidently he was just saving me for last.

“Hey,” he said pleasantly, and shook my hand, only when he did; he pulled me into a man-hug. And with that simple gesture, I knew we were cool.

There were three presentations. Alex Danvers talked about the company, how it was doing, and their plans for the future. It was pretty inspiring, but it was hard to listen to him talk about this place and not think of Robbie. The investment company that was buying us out went next, talking about why they were willing to overpay for the business. I saw Stef and Brad get mildly annoyed at that, but I’m sure the other non-family members didn’t pick up on their expressions.

I had expected that Stef would be the final speaker, but instead it was Brad. “As most of you know, I have supported the sale of Anders-Hayes because I think with this new corporate partner, it will be able to grow and achieve even bigger things. This company has been a part of my life for almost thirty years now, and it is hard to give it up, but I think that it will thrive with new ownership, and I think we have other things to focus on. We’re getting a fair price for our shares, and we can be pleased that the executives and employees of the firm will be able to remain part of this successful company.”

He cleared his throat, and continued in a more stolid manner. “I hereby move that we approve the sale of Anders-Hayes as outlined in the prospectus.”

“I will second it,” Stef said.

“All in favor?” Brad asked, and then zeroed in on us individually. Darius, Will, and then I all uttered “aye.” “As JJ is a minor, I will vote his shares as an ‘aye’.”

“That constitutes all the voting shares of the company,” the corporate secretary said.

“Then the sale is approved by a unanimous vote,” Brad said. And with that, Anders-Hayes was no longer part of our family, and even though I’d thought Will was being a little dramatic, I still felt bad, like we’d just sold off a piece of Robbie.

I left Anders-Hayes in a relatively somber mood, even though I now had $15 million bucks in my account. That was some serious coinage. “You did a good job,” I said to Brad as we all got into the limo. I guess they’d decided that we’d all ride back together.

“You did,” Will confirmed.

“Thanks,” Brad said. “I’m sorry JJ didn’t make it.”

“He has faith in you, and he can’t vote his shares anyway,” I said, sticking up for him like I usually did.

“Yeah, but it would have been nice to have him here for this final chapter,” Darius grumbled.

“Not quite the final chapter,” Brad said, and then he reached into his briefcase and pulled out envelopes and handed them out to each of us.

“What is this?” Stef asked.

“I would suggest that you have but to open it up to find out,” Brad said, being a smart-ass.

Stef gave Brad a dour look, and then we all opened up our envelopes. It was on really nice stationery, the kind you use for wedding invitations and shit.

 

Mr. Bradley Schluter requests your presence at the groundbreaking ceremony for the Robert Hayes Memorial Stadium on July 3, 2002 in Claremont, Ohio. The ceremony will commence at 3:00pm. A private family reception will follow at the Claremont City Museum.

 

“Which stadium is this?” Will asked.

“They’re building a new high school in East Claremont,” Brad explained. “The stadium will be adjacent to it, so it can be used for high school sports, but it will be big enough to be used for other events as well. It’s set up so it’s administered by the city and school jointly.”

“And they’re naming it for Robbie?” Darius asked. “Cool.”

“With an appropriate financial contribution, they were willing to do that,” Brad explained. “This way, we can help out the town, and do something to memorialize Robbie that he would have appreciated.”

“He would have,” I said. “I’ll be there.” The others promised to attend as well.

“Did you invite Aunt Claire and her family?” Will asked. Darius snaughed.

“I did. And they agreed to attend,” Brad said.

“Pretty sneaky way to force them to go to the festival,” Will joked, making the rest of us chuckle as well. Claire, Jack, Marie, and John usually avoided the Fourth of July Festival in Claremont like the plague.

“Your father will appreciate that,” Stef said to Brad.

“Claire probably doesn’t,” Darius said. We laughed and joked about that for the rest of the way back to Malibu.

 

July 3, 2002

Claremont, OH

Brad

 

Darius had thought that the sale of the company was the final act in saying goodbye to Robbie, but in reality, today was just as significant. I sat there on the dais as my brother Nick talked about this new stadium. As the mayor, it made sense that he would grandstand a major event like this, and that was fine with me, since he was much more excited about talking to the crowd than I was.

He talked about Claremont’s renaissance, and how last year they’d dedicated the Claremont Mills, and the amphitheater that was named after my grandmother. He talked about the increased tax revenue from the economic activity caused by the influx of tech businesses here. He singled me out again as the chairman of Triton, one of the industry leaders who had made that happen, and I dutifully stood up and waved to thank the people who applauded.

Nick then handed the microphone to JP, who had become quite the civic leader here. That was a pretty impressive achievement for someone who lived thousands of miles away in California. JP talked about the old high school, and how Tonto had worked to build it, and how they’d used that to integrate Claremont, to make it one big happy community. I managed not to roll my eyes as he said that. He talked about how significant that was, but noted that it was some forty years old, and it had become dilapidated. It was time for a new school, with new technology, better able to educate the next generation of Claremont’s children.

He handed the microphone to the superintendent of Claremont’s schools, who had a nasal voice that seemed determined to put me to sleep. I let my mind wander, even as I kept tabs on him, so as not to miss my cue for the final part of this ceremony. Stef and I had donated an enormous amount of money to get this project rolling, and to name it after Robbie. Everyone on this stage had a motive for making this happen. For JP and Nick, it was to advance the city, and to enhance the educational system. For Stef, it was a nice way to memorialize Robbie. While that was a key motive for me, it wasn’t my main objective.

I’d stipulated that I would donate money to build the new stadium provided they built a new high school and provided they demolished the old one. That last provision had gotten some kickback from a lot of the city leaders, as they were convinced that it could be useful, possibly as an additional middle school, but I had been adamant. They thought I was being illogical, and Nick had, at one point, all but begged me to reconsider, but I refused, and ultimately they yielded to my wishes.

I looked out across this empty field that would soon become a stadium; a field once occupied by one of the nastiest neighborhoods in Claremont. Those houses, no more than shanties in my opinion, had been demolished, and the ground had seemingly been scraped clean by the bulldozers. On the other side of the field, the new high school was already under construction. And when that building was finished, and dedicated, and the students redirected to their new educational mecca, the wrecking crews would go over and tear down the old Claremont High School. They would take a wrecking ball and destroy the locker room where Robbie had been raped as a teenager. They would eradicate the place where he had been so violently assaulted, in an act that had scarred him for his entire short life. That was my motive, my main objective. I realized it was symbolic, but for me, that was important. Somehow, it was a way for me to ease his pain, in a karmic kind of way.

People were clapping, albeit less enthusiastically, and I knew that was my cue to get up and walk to the front of the stage and descend to the ground below. I nodded to my sons, Matt, Darius, JJ, and Will, who followed me and stood arrayed behind me as I grabbed the ceremonial shovel. I glanced back briefly at the dais to see Frank and mother smiling at me. Frank had been adamant that he would be here, and he would sit on the dais, but that was as involved as he was willing to be. The superintendent handed me the microphone, and I thankfully remembered to clear my throat before I held it up to my mouth. “With this shovel full of dirt, I hereby break ground on the Robert Hayes Memorial Stadium. I want to thank the City of Claremont, and the Claremont school system, for honoring my partner, a man who did so much to help this city in such a brief period of time. Your generosity will help keep his spirit alive, the spirit that was dedicated to rebuilding Claremont into the successful city you see around us.” And with that, I dug the shovel into the ground and paused as cameras flashed. The audience applauded loudly, and then there were more pictures of all of us with Nick, and with JP, and with other city officials.

I scanned the audience and saw Robbie’s mother there. Robbie had come to detest her ever since high school and they hadn’t had a civil word between them since 1985. I wondered briefly how she handled the guilt of rejecting her son for being gay, and for shunning him and his children. I focused my eyes on her, and she stared back at me, making a connection. Then she gave me the slightest of nods, a sign of her approval, a gesture I returned. The next time I saw Brenda Hayes White I was sure she would be just as big a shrew as she always was, but for that moment, she melted enough to let me know that she appreciated what I had done for her son.

I looked beyond her and saw two much more pleasant faces, people I hadn’t expected to be here. Wade and Cody were standing there. I grinned and winked at Cody, and he winked back at me. I’d been avoiding him, knowing I wasn’t ready for any kind of intimacy, and he’d respected that. I hadn’t seen him for a few months, and even then, our conversations had been brief. Sex had been a part of our friendship since Robbie and I had our problems in 1999, so it was kind of strange that I had pushed him away. Or at least it seemed that way until my psychologist had helped me figure it out. He helped me see that I’d pushed Cody away because I’d seen him as a reminder of all that as wrong with my relationship with Robbie.

Wade was a different matter entirely. With him, I’d had wild, crazy, uninhibited sex. Damn that had been fun. Only with him, it had been a way to get back at Robbie by hurting Matt, and it had also been a way to do something wrong, something secret. It had been my way of saying ‘fuck the world’, the world that had taken my partner from me. But as I looked at Wade, I didn’t feel the lust I’d felt before. I simply felt friendship.

“You ready?” Will asked, prodding me. Of all the people in my life, he’d been the biggest rock for me as I’d struggled through the aftermath of 9-11. Even after the deal with Wade, even though he’d been pissed at me, he’d been there for me. I nodded and followed him to the waiting cars.

“That was a very nice ceremony,” Stef said, as soon as we were safely behind the closed doors of the big limousine.

“I’m glad you liked it,” I said, then turned to JP. “You did a very good job.”

“Thank you,” he said, and gave me a slight grin. “The school board asked me again if I would try and persuade you to let them keep the old high school.”

I shook my head emphatically. “No. It was part of the deal, and it’s going under the wrecking ball.”

“That certainly is your right, and it is the deal you made with them, but I am wondering why that is so important to you?” Stef asked.

“The showers where Robbie was raped, that event that scarred him,” I said, getting their attention. “I’m eradicating all the traces of it.” They all knew how irrational that was, but they looked at me with the indulgent expressions someone would give to an eccentric old aunt. I didn’t care about that at all. I was doing this for me, and for Robbie. Fuck the school board.

We got back to the Claremont City Museum, which was Tonto’s old house. We were allowed to use it during the holidays, and we tried to do that as much as possible to annoy Robbie’s mother and the fundamentalist nutjobs at her church. The caterers were hard at work, preparing hors d’oeuvres for our group, and then the dinner that would follow.

Claire and Jack arrived right after we did, along with John and Marie. The kids vanished almost immediately to go find Will, Darius, and JJ. “That was a lovely ceremony,” Claire said to me.

“Was it worth a trip to Claremont and the festival?” I asked, teasing her.

“Ask me on the flight home,” she said. “We still have another day here.”

“And anything can happen,” I joked. I was chatting away with her, and then with Nick, when I saw Wade and Cody come in.

“You brought quite the crowd with you this year,” Nick said. “Thanks.”

“My pleasure,” I lied. “Excuse me.” I left him, and targeted myself on that gorgeous blond hair that sat on top of Cody’s head. “Hey there,” I said pleasantly to both of them, but my attention was focused on Cody.

Wade sensed that and smiled. “I’m going to go track down Matt and see if he wants to hang out with me.”

“I’ll bet he does,” I said. Wade winked at me and strolled across the room toward Matt.

“The question is do you want to hang out with me?” Cody asked, and I could see then how much my rejection had hurt him.

“Come on,” I said, taking his hand and leading him into what had been my grandfather’s study. I closed the door and turned to face him. “I’m sorry.”

“I could tell you didn’t want me around, so I stayed away,” he said, acting like it was cool, but being unable to hide his bitterness.

“You were right, but it was me just being completely fucked up,” I said. “I have a party I have to host, but maybe you’ll let me explain things to you after that?”

“What if I get a better offer?” he asked, teasing me.

“Clearly you’ve forgotten how good I am,” I said, acting conceited.

“I thought we were going to talk, not fuck,” he said, moving in and wrapping his arms around me. I hugged him back, pulling him in tightly, then moved in and kissed him. It was a gentle kiss, with our lips only softly touching, but it was electric with feeling.

“We’re gonna fuck,” I said, cracking him up.

Copyright © 2014 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 56
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Irrational gesture on Brad's part, but damn is it one of the grandest gestures to honor Robbie with. Great choice, Mark Arbour.

 

Now on to something lighter...Matt's little diatribe:

“When you’re in a relationship, you’re responsible for someone, and to someone. You’re responsible for them in that you have to care about them, watch out for them, and not hurt them. And you’re responsible to them because you can’t just do what you want to do; you have to coordinate things with them. So it’s not about fucking everything that moves. It’s about freedom to do what I want.”

That he's has the audacity to say any of that with a straight face is HILARIOUS. When Matt and Wade were together Matt was the king of doing what Matt wanted to do regardless of the impact on Wade's feelings. Really, how was being with Wade any different than being single from Matt's perspective? My take was that Matt didn't really want Wade until it was over between them, so this quasi Declaration of Independence comes off a bit ridiculous.

 

Internal giggling aside, thanks again for another terrific chapter.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I have been anxiously awaiting this chapter since the cliffhanger ending last week. It didn't disappoint and didn't totally satisfy me, though it certainly set the stage for more action to come later in the city of Chicago.

 

The sales of Anders–Hayes went off as expected and then the dedication of the Robert Hayes Memorial Stadium in Clermont was a nice touch, adding another layer of healing closure. The destruction of the old high school and the locker room was another nice symbol, and speaking of symbols – I wonder when Brad will share that he has recovered Robbie's rings?

 

The surprise in Claremont was not quite what I expected, I had quite frankly expected maybe Robbie's "lost" niece & nephew to suddenly show up. I was surprised instead by the appearance Wade and Cody. Goodness knows there is plenty of time in the storyline for those lost relatives to suddenly appear and need help…

 

Will Matt share with Wade his discovery of Cam while relating their past history? I wonder how Wade will react to that?

 

Happy closing scene between Brad and Cody to begin narrowing the wide gap that Brad seemingly had to create as part of his healing process.

 

Thank you Mark and Team Arbour!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Another great, thought provoking chapter Mr. Arbour! I loved it when Brad referred to his four sons, one of them being Matt. I found that so heartwarming and as much a tribute to Robbie as the new Stadium.It is also a further signal that Brad has made it through the devastation of 911 and the loss of Robbie.I also loved his summation of what he now feels and doesn't feel about Wade, again fitting for many reasons, but especially for Robbie. Matt's conversation with Will about relationships and what is required to be in one and what you are responsible for was intricate for me. On the surface it was kind of ironic (and in some ways could warrant an eyeroll), but i realize this is coming from a different Matt. Right or wrong, I choose to lean towards this is Matt talking somewhat from a sense of guilt and even hurt. I think that he is more aware than anyone that he is responsible for the breakdown of his and Wade's very special relationship and probobly realizes now ,because of his mistakes, what it does take to make a relationship successful. I just finished rereading "Bloodlines",which was a beautifully crafted love story, so with it in mind, what i hear Matt saying is that he doesn't want a relationship because firstly, he doesn't want the pain of loss again....and secondly, he already had the relationship he wanted and lost it. In other words,if he does have a relationship he would want it to be with Wade. I also loved to see Brad and Cody reconnect at what now seems like the perfect time. Kudos to you once again, Mr. Arbour....cheers...Gary

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I don't know if the timing was accidental or not, but with the opening of the 9-11 Museum yesterday I couldn't help but assume that Brad and maybe the boys were at the ceremony. 9-11 is one of those things that you try to bury and put behind you, but it is impossible because of annual commemorations and events like this. I don't know if CAP will get to May 2014, but it is so hard to not wonder about 28 year old Will, 35 year old Matt & Wade, JP approaching 80 and Brad into his 50's.

 

Thanks for a great chapter and all that CAP has been so far and where it will be in the future. I hope you never lose the zeal to stay at it,

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Thanks for another great entry! I am at a loss for commentary here, which is odd for me. Not every chapter needs a cliffhanger, or even drama to be entertaining--this isn't a '30's serial after all, but this one seems to have side-stepped every scene which could have been emotionally raw. I was particularly surprised by Will's quiet acceptance of Matt's decision to do nothing regarding Cam's situation--where is his indignation when he is likely thinking that Matt owes some sort of loyalty to Cam, if only to warn him to be safe during sex with Josh since he seems blissfully unaware that the man is a cheating scuzzball.

 

The comment that the buyers of Anders-Hayes overpaid bodes ill for the future of the company, but Brad is being his usual disengaged self and seeing numbers rather than people; I see this as a bad move considering the great things the company had planned to do, Perhaps Brad is going to the extreme of cutting out everything which reminds him of Robbie? When does the house in Malibu go on the block?

 

It would be nice to see Cody and Brad together as a couple because I think Cody will be good for him, while Wade's sniffing after Matt I consider bad for both of them. Matt needs to keep his resolution that he actually doesn't love Wade anymore, and needs to find out who he is before he can enter into another relationship. Wade says he has moved on, but apparently not; without Brad to play the dominant partner, Wade is falling back into his comfort zone, being once again concerned only with himself and what he needs. What is right for Wade is what he wants at the moment, damn the consequences to anyone else. More and more, the viewpoint of the politician is taking over Wade--a Danfield through and through despite his lifestyle.

 

With all this lovey-dovey aura around the family, I have to wonder: Mark, have you succumbed to Cupid's arrows? Always figured he used a regular bow, since there are obviously no 'quarrels' here for a cross-bow. :) I'm happy for you if this is so--and wish you well....I also snaughed when I read your comment on my last review, seeing things in black and white as Will does, but I am a product of evolution, despite my college education and wide-ranging curiosity. Damn bilateral symmetry anyhow--if we were creatures such as starfish it would be easier to be multi-faceted! :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Hi Mark, great chapter more subdued than I was expecting, removing negative ties to Robbie and hopefully allowing the family's grieving to progress. It almost feels that things are going to well, possibly the calm before the storm.

 

Thnks

 

Matt

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Another feel good chapter, and wonderfully done. Makes me wonder what the next big loop on the roller coaster that is the Crampton/Schulter's lives will be. There are only two short months left before the first anniversary of the tragedy, and I can't see that day as being happy for any of them.

 

Thank you Mark. It is always a nice way to start my Fridays off, reading another chapter of your wonderful story while enjoying my second cup of coffee.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Back in 1962 Tonto Brad's grandmother built tat high school, now Brad replaces it with a new football field to remember Robbie. It seems very fitting. This chapter is a chapter of goodbyes. Selling Robbie's company and the field in Robbie's hometown seem to turn a page. Hopefully the family is over the worst.

I am happy to see Matt and Will bonding.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/16/2014 03:55 PM, Miles Long said:
Irrational gesture on Brad's part, but damn is it one of the grandest gestures to honor Robbie with. Great choice, Mark Arbour.

 

Now on to something lighter...Matt's little diatribe:

“When you’re in a relationship, you’re responsible for someone, and to someone. You’re responsible for them in that you have to care about them, watch out for them, and not hurt them. And you’re responsible to them because you can’t just do what you want to do; you have to coordinate things with them. So it’s not about fucking everything that moves. It’s about freedom to do what I want.”

That he's has the audacity to say any of that with a straight face is HILARIOUS. When Matt and Wade were together Matt was the king of doing what Matt wanted to do regardless of the impact on Wade's feelings. Really, how was being with Wade any different than being single from Matt's perspective? My take was that Matt didn't really want Wade until it was over between them, so this quasi Declaration of Independence comes off a bit ridiculous.

 

Internal giggling aside, thanks again for another terrific chapter.

Thanks Miles. I thought the gesture was a little over the top too, but it's the kind of thing that eccentric moguls do.

 

I think you're right about the Matt that was an undergrad, but Matt's already changed quite a bit. Maybe this is part of his maturation process. I wonder how many people saw 'maturation' and thought it was 'masturbation"? LOL

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/16/2014 03:58 PM, KevinD said:
I have been anxiously awaiting this chapter since the cliffhanger ending last week. It didn't disappoint and didn't totally satisfy me, though it certainly set the stage for more action to come later in the city of Chicago.

 

The sales of Anders–Hayes went off as expected and then the dedication of the Robert Hayes Memorial Stadium in Clermont was a nice touch, adding another layer of healing closure. The destruction of the old high school and the locker room was another nice symbol, and speaking of symbols – I wonder when Brad will share that he has recovered Robbie's rings?

 

The surprise in Claremont was not quite what I expected, I had quite frankly expected maybe Robbie's "lost" niece & nephew to suddenly show up. I was surprised instead by the appearance Wade and Cody. Goodness knows there is plenty of time in the storyline for those lost relatives to suddenly appear and need help…

 

Will Matt share with Wade his discovery of Cam while relating their past history? I wonder how Wade will react to that?

 

Happy closing scene between Brad and Cody to begin narrowing the wide gap that Brad seemingly had to create as part of his healing process.

 

Thank you Mark and Team Arbour!

I can't believe you weren't satisfied. I usually don't get that complaint. (SMILE).

 

Seriously, this whole thing is a process, and it's hard to make all the chapters unique episodes with a tidy ending. That's the real reason we have cliffhangers...when there's just too much to cover in one chapter.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This was just a really sweet chapter.

 

The sale of Ander-Hayes made sense because no one in the family was really interested in working there or staying on top of it. Because of the work that Robbie did, the future of the company was bright and they got the best deal possible. I think Robbie would be very happy that he has given all of his children the security that this deal has given them all; not that part of them won't get much more from others but...

 

It was nice to see that Matt still has some type of connection with Cam. I am not sure where this is going but I am sure Mark is going to make it interesting. Matt's statement to Will about what he wants and why he isn't sure what he is going to do about Cam was perfect. I noticed that several people commented in ways that makes me question if they really understood the relationship between Matt and Wade at all. What Matt said makes perfect sense for someone in his position and I hope he finds whatever he is really looking for.

 

Brad's reasoning behind having the old school torn down gives a glimpse into the one thing about Brad that I truly do admire; he will do anything to protect those he loves, even in death.

 

Mark, someone else said it but I am going to second the notion; are you turning into a true romantic???

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/16/2014 05:29 PM, Headstall said:
Another great, thought provoking chapter Mr. Arbour! I loved it when Brad referred to his four sons, one of them being Matt. I found that so heartwarming and as much a tribute to Robbie as the new Stadium.It is also a further signal that Brad has made it through the devastation of 911 and the loss of Robbie.I also loved his summation of what he now feels and doesn't feel about Wade, again fitting for many reasons, but especially for Robbie. Matt's conversation with Will about relationships and what is required to be in one and what you are responsible for was intricate for me. On the surface it was kind of ironic (and in some ways could warrant an eyeroll), but i realize this is coming from a different Matt. Right or wrong, I choose to lean towards this is Matt talking somewhat from a sense of guilt and even hurt. I think that he is more aware than anyone that he is responsible for the breakdown of his and Wade's very special relationship and probobly realizes now ,because of his mistakes, what it does take to make a relationship successful. I just finished rereading "Bloodlines",which was a beautifully crafted love story, so with it in mind, what i hear Matt saying is that he doesn't want a relationship because firstly, he doesn't want the pain of loss again....and secondly, he already had the relationship he wanted and lost it. In other words,if he does have a relationship he would want it to be with Wade. I also loved to see Brad and Cody reconnect at what now seems like the perfect time. Kudos to you once again, Mr. Arbour....cheers...Gary
Thanks Gary. I think that what you're saying about Matt makes a lot of sense. I don't think it's reasonable that Matt would lose his father, his partner, and go through the trauma he did (even if it was partially self-inflicted, and then on top of it, GRADUATE, without incurring some personal growth, or at least personal changes.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/16/2014 06:46 PM, PrivateTim said:
I don't know if the timing was accidental or not, but with the opening of the 9-11 Museum yesterday I couldn't help but assume that Brad and maybe the boys were at the ceremony. 9-11 is one of those things that you try to bury and put behind you, but it is impossible because of annual commemorations and events like this. I don't know if CAP will get to May 2014, but it is so hard to not wonder about 28 year old Will, 35 year old Matt & Wade, JP approaching 80 and Brad into his 50's.

 

Thanks for a great chapter and all that CAP has been so far and where it will be in the future. I hope you never lose the zeal to stay at it,

Thanks Tim. The museum opening wasn't even on my radar until after I posted the chapter, so it was a lucky coincidence. I'm lucky if I can think of these guys two CAP years out, much less 13.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 05/16/2014 08:29 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Thanks for another great entry! I am at a loss for commentary here, which is odd for me. Not every chapter needs a cliffhanger, or even drama to be entertaining--this isn't a '30's serial after all, but this one seems to have side-stepped every scene which could have been emotionally raw. I was particularly surprised by Will's quiet acceptance of Matt's decision to do nothing regarding Cam's situation--where is his indignation when he is likely thinking that Matt owes some sort of loyalty to Cam, if only to warn him to be safe during sex with Josh since he seems blissfully unaware that the man is a cheating scuzzball.

 

The comment that the buyers of Anders-Hayes overpaid bodes ill for the future of the company, but Brad is being his usual disengaged self and seeing numbers rather than people; I see this as a bad move considering the great things the company had planned to do, Perhaps Brad is going to the extreme of cutting out everything which reminds him of Robbie? When does the house in Malibu go on the block?

 

It would be nice to see Cody and Brad together as a couple because I think Cody will be good for him, while Wade's sniffing after Matt I consider bad for both of them. Matt needs to keep his resolution that he actually doesn't love Wade anymore, and needs to find out who he is before he can enter into another relationship. Wade says he has moved on, but apparently not; without Brad to play the dominant partner, Wade is falling back into his comfort zone, being once again concerned only with himself and what he needs. What is right for Wade is what he wants at the moment, damn the consequences to anyone else. More and more, the viewpoint of the politician is taking over Wade--a Danfield through and through despite his lifestyle.

 

With all this lovey-dovey aura around the family, I have to wonder: Mark, have you succumbed to Cupid's arrows? Always figured he used a regular bow, since there are obviously no 'quarrels' here for a cross-bow. :) I'm happy for you if this is so--and wish you well....I also snaughed when I read your comment on my last review, seeing things in black and white as Will does, but I am a product of evolution, despite my college education and wide-ranging curiosity. Damn bilateral symmetry anyhow--if we were creatures such as starfish it would be easier to be multi-faceted! :)

I love how you say you're at a loss for commentary, then post one of the longer reviews. A big grin for that one!

 

To address some of your points...Will isn't going to butt into Matt's situation with Cam and Josh for a couple of reasons. The first is that he really hates it when people do that to him, and the second is that he probably trusts Matt to do the right thing at this point. Matt and Cam really didn't have much time to talk, so maybe during their next conversation more will come out.

 

Brad is a venture capitalist, so it's his job to look at the numbers. Keep in mind, though, that when valuing a company, they do projections based on what the company is planning to do, so it's not like they're making those decisions in the dark.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/17/2014 12:25 AM, Matt Mc said:
Hi Mark, great chapter more subdued than I was expecting, removing negative ties to Robbie and hopefully allowing the family's grieving to progress. It almost feels that things are going to well, possibly the calm before the storm.

 

Thnks

 

Matt

Nah. Everything is just fine. Relax. (Insert evil laugh).

 

Regardless of what comes next, I think the family is finally coping with their grief post-9-11.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/17/2014 12:38 AM, Kitt said:
Another feel good chapter, and wonderfully done. Makes me wonder what the next big loop on the roller coaster that is the Crampton/Schulter's lives will be. There are only two short months left before the first anniversary of the tragedy, and I can't see that day as being happy for any of them.

 

Thank you Mark. It is always a nice way to start my Fridays off, reading another chapter of your wonderful story while enjoying my second cup of coffee.

I'm glad I made you feel good! I'm sure I'll mess you up again, somewhere over the course of the next chapters. And even if I don't, it's kind of nice to have a run of happiness after the 9.11 story.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/17/2014 12:43 AM, Daddydavek said:
After reading Tim's review, I can only say WOW and I second everything he said!
Well then I will thank you too!
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/17/2014 01:35 AM, rjo said:
Back in 1962 Tonto Brad's grandmother built tat high school, now Brad replaces it with a new football field to remember Robbie. It seems very fitting. This chapter is a chapter of goodbyes. Selling Robbie's company and the field in Robbie's hometown seem to turn a page. Hopefully the family is over the worst.

I am happy to see Matt and Will bonding.

I think you're right, but I wouldn't term it so much as a 'goodbye' as a closure.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/17/2014 06:19 AM, centexhairysub said:
This was just a really sweet chapter.

 

The sale of Ander-Hayes made sense because no one in the family was really interested in working there or staying on top of it. Because of the work that Robbie did, the future of the company was bright and they got the best deal possible. I think Robbie would be very happy that he has given all of his children the security that this deal has given them all; not that part of them won't get much more from others but...

 

It was nice to see that Matt still has some type of connection with Cam. I am not sure where this is going but I am sure Mark is going to make it interesting. Matt's statement to Will about what he wants and why he isn't sure what he is going to do about Cam was perfect. I noticed that several people commented in ways that makes me question if they really understood the relationship between Matt and Wade at all. What Matt said makes perfect sense for someone in his position and I hope he finds whatever he is really looking for.

 

Brad's reasoning behind having the old school torn down gives a glimpse into the one thing about Brad that I truly do admire; he will do anything to protect those he loves, even in death.

 

Mark, someone else said it but I am going to second the notion; are you turning into a true romantic???

Thanks for another great review!

 

I think they certainly could have kept Anders-Hayes in their portfolio, but I think it's something that requires a bit more hands-on management than any of them can provide right now...much as you noted.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Guest Omar

Posted

I wonder if they will regret letting go of Anders- Hayes. In the story, didn't the company just produce the first Harry Potter Movie and had a part in producing the first Lord of the Rings Movie? Those movies because huge blockbusters so I would assume the amount they received in the buyout wouldn't be close to the amount they would potentially make from those movies. I guess in business you win some and you lose some. This could end up being one of the cases where they lost in the end.

Link to comment
On 05/17/2014 06:59 AM, Omar said:
I wonder if they will regret letting go of Anders- Hayes. In the story, didn't the company just produce the first Harry Potter Movie and had a part in producing the first Lord of the Rings Movie? Those movies because huge blockbusters so I would assume the amount they received in the buyout wouldn't be close to the amount they would potentially make from those movies. I guess in business you win some and you lose some. This could end up being one of the cases where they lost in the end.
The first Harry Potter movie was released in November, 2001. I have to believe that the bulk of the box office revenue (and the projections for additional royalties) were obvious by June, 2002. In a similar way, Lord of the Rings was released in December, 2001.
  • Like 2
Link to comment

This chapter ended as the antithesis of the previous 'cliff hanger' .

“We’re gonna fuck,” I said, cracking him up.

With so many story lines resolving, are we getting near the end of 'Flux' ?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hi Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Flux.

 

An inspiring chapter, with a lot of closure, at least I hope it's there. I'm looking forward to Matt dealing with Josh over his cheating on Cam Heely. For Josh's sake I hope he doesn't go Will on his ass, lol.

 

I don't see why people have to point out the irrationality of the decision to demand the demolition of the high school, either in the story or in reviews... There's too much emotion for Brad, the main contributor, in that place for it to remain intact. Irrational or not, it was the proper thing to do and I'm seriously miffed with JP that he'd even ask Brad to reconsider... he should've told the board to stuff it (in a JP-way of course, lol)

 

Keep up the amazing work, on all your stories,

 

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 05/17/2014 08:25 AM, davewri said:
This chapter ended as the antithesis of the previous 'cliff hanger' .

“We’re gonna fuck,” I said, cracking him up.

With so many story lines resolving, are we getting near the end of 'Flux' ?

You think things are resolving? I'm not so sure about that. I've already got 10 more chapters roughed out. ;-)
  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..