Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,347 Words
  • 9,549 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Flux - 5. Chapter 5

June 8, 2002

Escorial, CA

 

“You’re right on time,” I said to Ben pleasantly as I strolled into the kitchen. He looked as magnificent in jeans and a polo shirt as he did in his work clothes. I couldn’t help but notice the way his biceps bulged the armband of his polo.

“Actually, I’m early,” he corrected. “I got here about half an hour ago to give Professor Crampton an update.”

“Did you promise him that it would be done by July 10th?” I asked. Inasmuch as one could tell, JP was agitated about that, worrying that the rooms would be ready for our big party on July 14th.

“I did. We may even be a day or two early, since we’re putting the dining room off, but I didn’t tell him that,” he joked. “I like to have some wiggle room.”

“Smart man,” I said.

“He seems like one of those guys who are really nice, unless you piss him off,” he said, referring to JP.

“You have no idea,” I said, chuckling. “You ready to go?”

“Where are we going?” he asked nervously.

“The City,” I answered.

“Why’d you ask me if I had a suit?” he asked, and looked at my clothes. I was dressed like him, with jeans and a polo shirt. “Guess I picked out something that works.”

“It works, for now,” I said mysteriously. I’d told him to dress casually, but I planned to change all that. “Come on.” I led him out front to where the limo was waiting for us. Pedro held the door open. He had volunteered to drive us today, but I wasn’t stupid. I knew Will had set him up to do it, so he could spy on us.

“Where would you like me to take you?” Pedro asked.

“Union Square,” I answered, and told him the name of the shop. “Then you can take my things over to the Fairmont. They have a room reserved for me. Ask them to hang up my clothes for me.”

“Of course,” he said, making notes.

“Thanks, Pedro,” I said with a smile, and then we got into the limo.

“A date with you is certainly fancy,” Ben said.

“Who said this is a date?”

“Dude, you got us a hotel room,” he said. “That’s pretty forward.”

I laughed. “It’s tough to be in the City all day, then to have nowhere to change and relax before dinner. I solved that problem.”

“That would do it,” he said. “So are you going to tell me the plan, or are you going to surprise me?”

“Which one do you want?”

“I’m fine either way,” he said calmly.

“Really?” I asked. He nodded. He was so relaxed about things; it was like a tonic.

“Why does that surprise you?”

I laughed. “I’m kind of a control freak.” It stunned me that I admitted that so freely.

“Yeah, I heard about that,” he said.

“From who?” I challenged.

“Not to rat anyone out, but I spend a lot of time with your son,” he said. I knew he was talking about Will.

“If he bothers you, we’ll restrain him,” I said, wondering exactly how I’d accomplish that.

He laughed. “No. Don’t. I like him. He’s so full of life, and energy, and he gets things so fast. That kid is really smart.”

“He is,” I said proudly. “I’ve noticed that over the past year, he’s developing the ability to look at things on a bigger level.”

“What do you mean?”

“When he was younger, he’d take events and evaluate them in isolation. So if something happened to bug him, he’d deal with it head on without thinking that it may be part of a bigger issue, and that his direct way of handling things may set off an unpleasant series of events. He’s starting to see the connections more.” I paused, because I felt I was talking more to myself than him, but he seemed somewhat interested, so I pressed on. “People see that as him becoming more mature, but I think it’s really learning to see those connections that make him seem that way. It tempers the way he reacts to things, and how he handles tough situations.”

“Maybe that’s what maturity is all about,” he said.

“Maybe it is,” I said. “What about you? Where are you from?”

“Portland,” he said. “Lots of trees up there. Guess that’s why I like working with wood.”

“How many people make stupid jokes about that?” I asked.

“Too many,” he said, smiling ruefully. “They act like I’ve never heard that before. ‘Hey, can you work on my wood?’” he said, mimicking an idiot.

I laughed. “It’s one of those things that seem to be a good icebreaker if you don’t think about it too hard.”

“Yeah, but it’s lame,” he said.

“So what do you do with wood, besides stripping and staining it?” I asked. He studied me, as if trying to decide if I was making another lame joke, then answered my question.

“That’s just part of it. I do carpentry. I make furniture; cabinets, tables, chairs, all kinds of shit. I like doing different things, but I like working with stuff that’s old, so that’s how I got involved in restoration projects like I’m doing in your Great Hall.”

“You like working with old things, so that’s why you’re working with JP?” I asked, more of a private joke.

“Right,” he said with a scowl, defending the guy who was paying his bill.

“Do you do most of your stuff onsite?” I asked, and got nervous that I was grilling the guy, but it didn’t seem to bother him.

“Having a store in town wouldn’t work. Real estate is expensive in the Bay area,” he said; a reality we all dealt with. “I’ve got a small place in the Santa Cruz hills. Basically two bedrooms and a workshop. It’s all I need. I work there, doing custom projects, but I do the installation on site.”

“I guess that means you don’t have a family,” I said.

“That’s what that means,” he said, but didn’t expand on it. “Maybe sometime I’ll show it to you. I’ll have to clean up first.”

“I’d like that, but you don’t have to clean up for me,” I said. “I’m a control freak, not a neat freak.” He chuckled at that.

“So what do you do?” he asked.

“I’ve basically got two jobs. I’m the chairman of the board of Triton, which is based in Connecticut, and I’m the vice-chairman of Carruthers & Schluter, a venture capital firm based here,” I said.

“No wonder you’re busy. So you have to be in two places at the same time?”

I shook my head. “The chairman of the board is really involved in what the company does, but not the operations. I’m not a manager, so I don’t have line authority. That’s the CEO’s job. I spend most of my time working with him on strategic planning. I usually spend a week or two in Connecticut every month.”

“What’s your other job?”

“That’s all about investments and venture capital funding. For investments, we look at different projects to invest it. That usually means real estate, or natural resources.”

“Like forests?” he asked.

“Yeah, but I’m not sure if we have any of those in our portfolio right now,” I said, mentally doing an inventory of our holdings. “The venture capital side of the business focuses on new businesses, on start-ups. Companies that need money come to us; we look at their business plan, and then decide whether or not to fund them. If we do, we buy a piece of the company.”

He thought about that. “Sounds pretty risky.”

“It is,” I explained. “You have to know what you’re doing. We’re lucky in that regard. We have a really good team. We make some mistakes, but we win more than we lose, and when you win in this business, you usually win big.”

“Is that how Stefan made his money?” he asked.

“You should read one of his biographies,” I said. “He actually got his start in real estate, but morphed into venture capital funding.”

“What made him decide to do that?” he asked.

“A hot guy fucked him,” I said flatly, but that made us both laugh.

“Having met him, I can see that,” he said. “Will is a lot like him.”

“In some ways,” I agreed. “I can see traits in Will from Stef, from JP, and from me. He gets most of the bad ones from me.”

“So when he’s hitting on me all the time, that’s the one he got from you?” he flirted.

“Is he good at it?”

“No,” he joked.

“Then he got it from me,” I said, and we laughed some more.

“I’m not his type. I’m a 30-year-old carpenter. He’s a high school kid,” he said. That answered the age question: so he was thirty.

“He wouldn’t have a problem with that,” I said with a grimace.

“If I was his age, I’d be all over him.” That answered the other question: he was at least bisexual. It dawned on me that I’d just assumed that, based on our interactions, and the way he seemed interested in me, but I hadn’t really found out for sure until then.

“So it’s not his game?”

“It’s not his game,” he said. “He’s pretty good. He puts himself out there, so you know what he’s all about.”

“He’s pretty expressive,” I agreed.

“You don’t do that,” he said seriously, as if that were profound.

“No, I don’t,” I said. “Maybe that’s what happens when you’re almost forty.”

“Does that freak you out? Hitting forty?”

I thought about it. “Not really. I may feel differently about it in October, but right now, it doesn’t seem like that big of a deal.” I was so different than Robbie when it came to aging. He’d lost it for a while as he grappled with aging, and almost destroyed our relationship over getting older.

“That’s because you don’t look forty,” he said. “I would have pegged you as being a year or two older than me.” I smiled at that nice compliment.

“So you date older men?” I flirted

“So this is a date,” he accused, making me laugh.

“I’ll let you know later on,” I said.

Our conversation was cut short when we pulled up to the boutique. I paused to call the Fairmont and tell them that Pedro would be dropping our stuff off, and then I led Ben into the store. It was a very upscale men’s clothing store that focused on business attire, and it was obvious Ben felt pretty out of place. He stuck pretty close to me, not that I was complaining. The manager, an older man from South America, walked up to me with a huge smile. “It is good to see you, Mr. Schluter,” he said. I saw Ben look surprised that he knew who I was. You didn’t get this kind of service at Macys.

“It’s good to see you too, Fermin,” I said. “I messed up a couple of suits, so I need to replace them. This is Ben Carter. He needs a nice suit, one that he can wear out, or for business.”

“And this is the one you need us to finish today?”

“That’s the one,” I said.

One of the assistants pulled Ben aside and measured him. I was guessing, based on his frowns, that the guy did some relatively benign groping. Hard to blame him. While he was doing that, I showed Fermin which suits I needed to have remade. We finished quickly enough, and then went over to see how Ben was doing.

“What color suit do you want?” Fermin asked him.

Ben looked at me, slightly confused, asking me with his expression to help him out. “Dark, probably blue,” I said, gauging his coloring.

“I agree,” Fermin said. Ben didn’t say much while we made him try things on, until we found one that really looked good on him. It was dark blue, with a very small blue stripe in it. It was subtle, but interesting.

“I like this one,” Ben said.

“I like it too,” I agreed. “It looks great on you.”

“It most certainly does,” Fermin said, appreciating how good Ben looked in such nice clothes.

“This is the one,” I declared. Fermin called over a young man and they measured the sleeves, making markings as they went, and then did the same thing to the shoulders and the sides.

“If you will hand that to me, we’ll get started on it,” Fermin said.

Ben took the jacket off, and paused to look at it closely. “There’s no price on this.”

“Then it must be free,” I joked. He made to argue, but then let it go. They measured his pants, and I winked at him when the guy measured his inseam, and almost laughed at the dirty look I got in response. After that, we picked out a shirt and a tie, then left to go walk around while they altered the suit so it would fit him. “Shoes,” I said.

“Dude, how much is this going to cost me?” he asked nervously.

“Nothing,” I said. “It’s a gift.”

“I can’t take a gift like that,” he insisted. “I barely know you, and most of the time I’ve known you, I haven’t liked you.” That was pretty funny.

“Maybe you’ll like me if I buy you a suit,” I said, flirting.

“But then that makes me a whore,” he said.

“Cool,” I said, winking at him.

He chuckled, and then frowned. “I don’t want to be indebted to you.”

“Why would you be indebted to me?” I asked. “I was a total dick to you, and this is a way that I can do something nice to make it up to you.”

“You were a dick,” he said. “But you said you were sorry. That’s payback enough.” I was getting annoyed, and had a flashback to when Robbie and I had dealt with Wally and Clara about money, where the conversations were disturbingly similar.

“No, it’s not,” I said. “Let me assuage my guilt.”

“Assuage?”

“Make it better, make it go away,” I explained.

“It makes me uncomfortable,” he said.

“Alright, you’re killing my buzz and my plan for a fun day,” I said firmly. He grimaced. “I’ve got a deal for you.”

“Go on.”

“I’m buying you a suit, and some shoes,” I said, as I stopped outside my favorite shoe store. “And I’m taking you out to a nice dinner.”

“What do I have to do in exchange?” he asked, raising his eyebrows.

“What do you want to do?” I asked, flirting.

“Is this where I get to be a whore?” he asked, but I could tell it bothered him.

“I’d probably like that better,” I teased. “But I have a different idea.”

“What?”

“Make me something.”

“You want me to make you something? What am I supposed to make you?” he asked, confused.

“You’re a carpenter. Make me something,” I said dismissively.

He thought about that, and smiled. “I can do that. Is that it?”

“That and I get to make a least three lame ass wood jokes every time we go out,” I said.

“Who says I’m going out with you again? You’re assuming you’ll get a second date,” he flirted.

“So you’ve decided this is a date?” I challenged. He frowned, because I’d trapped him.

“I’m not sure yet,” he said, almost mimicking me. We walked up to the cable car line and bought tickets.

“Neither am I,” I answered honestly. “Are you having a good enough time to stay up here with me tonight?”

He got nervous. “Dude, I don’t know about that.”

“Trust me,” I said, to see if he would. “You’ll be fine. I won’t hurt you.”

He frowned. “Fine.”

I pulled out my phone. “Good. Since that’s settled, I’m getting rid of our spy.”

“Spy?” I was having fun confusing the shit out of him.

“Pedro pretty much works for Will, that’s why he’s along. Will wants to know what we do, and if we have fun,” I said.

“That’s kind of creepy,” he said.

“No, it’s not like that,” I told him “He’s just worried about me, and likes to keep tabs on me when he can.”

“Because of Robbie?” he asked. Somehow, his mentioning Robbie’s name just freaked me out. I didn’t know why, but it did. I stared at him, a stunned expression on my face for a few seconds, until I pulled myself together.

“Because of Robbie,” I confirmed, and then distracted myself by calling Pedro.

“Yes, Mr. Schluter?” Pedro asked as he answered.

“Did you drop everything off?” I asked.

“I did. I made sure your clothes were hung up in your closet,” he said.

“Thanks Pedro. I appreciate it. You can head back.”

I could feel his confusion, because he figured we’d keep him around all day to drive us. “Are you sure?”

“I’m sure. Have them send a car to pick us up at 9:30 tomorrow morning,” I said, looking at Ben. He nodded to confirm that was OK.

“Yes, sir,” Pedro said, sounding disappointed. I hung up the phone and laughed.

“Foiled that plan,” I joked.

It wasn’t a very sunny day, but I liked the City when it was like this. It was cool, around 60 degrees, but it felt colder because it was overcast, and there was fog on top of that, so the dampness made it feel chillier still. We’d both known to bring jackets along, so we weren’t cold, and the relatively crappy weather seemed to keep some of the tourists away. We actually didn’t have to wait long for the cable car at all. “I love these things,” Ben said. He ran his hands across the wood seats in an almost seductive way.

“They are unique, and useful,” I said, as it hauled us up Nob Hill. We hopped off at the Fairmont and I went to the front desk to get my keys. The bellman led us up to the suite, which was beautiful, with a big room that had a great view of the city, or would have if not for the fog; and a bedroom on each side of it. The bellman tried to show me how stuff worked, but I didn’t want a lecture. I gave him some cash and sent him on his way.

“This is incredible,” he said.

“It’s nice,” I agreed. “That’s your room,” I said, pointing at one of the doors.

“You got me my own room?”

“I just met you,” I said. “I’m not that creepy.”

He laughed. “I don’t know whether to be relieved or disappointed.”

“You probably should be disappointed, but you’re probably actually relieved,” I joked. “Come on, let’s get lunch.”

“What kind of food do you like?” he asked.

I shrugged. “I don’t know. I’m pretty flexible.” I wasn’t too adventurous, but I did better than Robbie had. And once again, I remembered him, and had to work not to let Ben see that I did. “What about you?”

“If we’re in the City, Chinese,” he said, smiling.

“Good idea,” I said. “There’s a great place in Chinatown.”

“Duh,” he said, pointing out how obvious that was, that there would be a good Chinese restaurant in Chinatown.

“Let’s go,” I said, frustrated. We strolled down to Chinatown, and I found the restaurant that Wade and Matt had raved about.

“How’d you hear about this place?” he asked.

“Wade’s lawyer, a guy named Sean, loves this place,” I explained. “He brought Matt and Wade here, and they said it was great.” I paused. “Either that, or they have big portions,” I joked, referring to the human garbage disposals that Wade and Matt were.

We walked into the restaurant, but before we could sit down, I felt a hand on my shoulder. “Brad!”

“Hey Sean!” I said enthusiastically, and gave him a man hug, where I hugged him while shaking his hand. “Wade told me this place was your hangout, but I didn’t expect to find you here.”

“I was just finishing up some work this morning, and I decided to treat myself to lunch here,” he said.

“So you’re alone?” I asked.

“Yeah, but…”

“Join us,” I said, then introduced him to Ben. “Ben, this is Sean Massey.”

“Ben Carter,” he said, as he shook Sean’s hand. If ever there were two guys who should make a porno together, it was Sean and Ben. Ben was tall and clad with muscles, with dark brown hair. Sean’s Irish heritage showed through with his looks. He was in his late twenties, and really handsome, with dark red hair, and pale blue eyes. They both had these rugged five o’clock shadow looks going on, which made them seem incredibly masculine. Ben had a more pear-shaped face, while Sean’s was long and thin, dominated by a big nose that made him look even hotter, surprisingly enough.

It only took me a few seconds to notice that their handshake had gone on a little longer than normal and that they were both just totally transfixed by each other. I watched them, and smiled, because I knew that look. That’s how I’d felt when I’d first met Robbie all those years ago in Claremont. My mind flashed back to that scene, to him standing by some trees, flanked by a couple of friends. I remembered the look, the way his eyes locked onto mine, the way he’d had my heart from that point forward. Then once again, I was struck by how much I missed him. This happened often enough, I was getting better at reading it, and I anticipated the sadness before it hit. “I’m going to find the bathroom,” I said to Ben and Sean, but they didn’t really pay attention. The restroom was a relatively nasty thing, but I snagged the one stall and just stood there, using toilet paper to dry my eyes. I let myself miss Robbie for a while, and then got my shit together. I spent some time in front of the mirror, putting in the eye drops I’d learned to carry, then went back out to the dining room to join Ben and Sean.

I studied them from afar, watching how they interacted, in a shy but animated way, as they got to know each other. “Sorry about that,” I said, as I reached the table.

“Everyone has to go sometime,” Sean said casually. We ordered and ate, while I just faded into the background, and watched those two mesh like a zipper. I felt like a third wheel, which was kind of uncomfortable, but I was more worried that my presence would interrupt them. The way they immediately connected was really sweet, and really romantic.

Miraculously enough, my phone rang. “Excuse me,” I said to both of them, even though neither one of them had noticed me since we sat down. I got up and went outside to answer the call, which was an automated reminder that I had a doctor’s appointment next week. Their system must be messed up if it was sending out calls on Saturday afternoon, but it worked for me. I went back in the restaurant to find them engrossed in conversation with each other. “Hey, I need you to do me a favor,” I said to Ben.

“Sure,” he said, coming out of his Sean coma.

“I have a small crisis that I have to deal with, so I have to head back to Escorial.”

“Let’s go,” he said, but he didn’t want to.

“No, you stay here. I need you to go pick up our clothes from the store and bring mine back tomorrow. Enjoy the hotel room. We have dinner reservations at the restaurant there. You two go.”

“No way,” Sean objected.

“Don’t make me call your boss,” I joked. “Don’t piss off a client.” Sean was coordinating some estate planning work for us. “Dinner’s on me. Don’t argue. You’ll just make me mad.”

“Wow. Thanks Brad,” Sean said.

“You really do not have to do this,” Ben said.

“My guilt is fully assuaged,” I said, winking at him. “I’ll send a car up to get you tomorrow morning.”

“I can bring you back,” Sean offered. Ben looked at him, and shrugged.

“Sounds good,” Ben said.

I left before they could object, and went back to the Fairmont to make sure they didn’t have any problems, and to have some champagne sent up to the room. I ordered a car, and then got my clothes together, the ones Pedro had hung up so nicely. I timed it perfectly, arriving downstairs just as the car did, then got in and kicked back for the relatively long ride back to Escorial. I liked Ben, and I was enjoying getting to know him, so it was kind of disappointing that he’d been so into Sean that he’d all but blown me off, but I also knew how important those connections could be. There was just something there, like a lightning bolt that welded those two together. I shrugged, thinking that if I was wrong, I’d just see if Ben wanted to go on a second date. If I was right, then karma owed me.

I got back to Escorial and managed to sneak back to my room unobserved, so I took that opportunity to indulge myself in one of those wonderful but rare Saturday naps. I got up in time to shower and spiff up for dinner. I smiled when I thought that, since no one had seen me return, they would be pretty surprised to see me walk into the dining room.

I stopped before going into the dining room to study the crowd. It was a good group tonight, and everyone was laughing and joking, in good spirits. I paused to appreciate that. It had been so long since we’d had joy in this house, but maybe having some of these conflicts resolved had helped everyone loosen up. Matt and Wade were here, as was Gathan. I was really surprised to see that Zach was here too, since he was supposedly staying in Concord until tomorrow, but that had the benefit of bringing Frank and Mother back too. Aside from Mother, it was a rowdy and masculine crowd, but she seemed to be thoroughly enjoying herself.

The grandfather clock began gonging out, announcing it was seven o’clock, so I walked in and stood patiently while the staff put a place setting on the table for me next to Will. “Good evening,” I said cheerfully.

“I thought you were in the City?” Will asked, the concern obvious in his voice.

“Unless there are two of me, that’s not the case,” I said.

“You told me you had planned to have dinner with Ben,” Stef said. The two of them were like interrogators.

“I did, but I came home instead,” I said, being oblique. Will picked up the questioning again.

“Why?” he demanded. “Didn’t you have a good time?”

I started laughing. “Wade’s lawyer stole my date.”

“What?” Wade asked. “Sean stole your date?”

“Yep. Just snatched him right away,” I said, shaking my head, even as I laughed.

“Dude, we have got to work on your game,” Matt said seriously.

“Evidently,” Stef said, shaking his head at how lame I seemed. I just chuckled.

“Are you OK?” Will asked, full of concern again.

“It was actually pretty sweet,” I said, sounding like a chick. “We were having a great time, had just finished shopping.”

“The great time comes when shopping begins, not when it ends,” Stef observed, making us laugh.

“I decided to take Ben to that Chinese restaurant that you always rave about,” I said to Wade. “Sean was working this morning, and he’d gone to lunch there. So I asked him to join us.”

“Now here’s how this is supposed to work,” Matt said to me seriously. “You’re not supposed to bail on them, you’re supposed to turn it into a threesome.”

I laughed, and thought about how nice it was to have him back. When he was happy and playful like this, he just pushed energy into a room. “You should have seen how they looked at each other when I introduced them.”

“How?” Zach asked.

“It was like they just stared at each other, and made this connection,” I explained.

“Maybe Sean just had something stuck in his teeth,” Wade joked, making us all laugh.

“I can’t believe they just blew you off,” Will said, determined to defend me.

I shook my head. “I know that look. It reminded me of how I felt when I first met Robbie in Claremont.” I regretted that as soon as I said it, because that made all of them remember him, and it took this happy mood and turned it into somber ashes. “There’s just something about it, the way they looked at each other, the way they interacted, that was really intense.”

“I know that feeling,” JP said, as he looked at Stef, but I knew he didn’t believe in love at first sight, and he was just helping me move the mood back into a positive place.

“Me too,” Matt said, and looked at Wade, making Wade uncomfortable.

“They were nice to me, and I could have hung out with them, and maybe even had that threesome, but I think they deserve some time alone,” I said.

“That was a nice thing you did,” Mother said.

“Besides, maybe you’ll get lucky with that threesome after all,” Matt said, winking at me. I laughed, because that wasn’t happening, and that took us back to a fun place.

It was one of the more enjoyable dinners we’d had at Escorial, which probably had something to do with all the wine we drank. Matt, Gathan, and Wade stayed relatively sober, since they were in the midst of finals, but the rest of us cut loose. At some point, I glanced over at Stef and caught his eye, and he smiled at me knowingly. It dawned on me that bailing on those guys so they could be alone was something that he would have done, something that I picked up from him.

When dinner was over, and everyone was leaving, I got up and walked over to Stef, and held out my finger, the one I’d pricked when I was a kid and we’d become blood brothers. He smiled and pressed his finger against mine, our private gesture that had stronger meaning than a hug, or anything else. “Love takes different forms. They’re all important,” I told him.

Copyright © 2014 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 49
  • Love 7
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I really thought this whole chapter was just sweet. It was so nice and just completely enjoyable on so many levels. That may have been one of the nicest things that I ever saw Brad do; if the connection with Ben and Sean is true then Ben must be a top as well, so I guess it might not have worked out with him and Brad anyway... This was just a really nice suprise for a Saturday morning...

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

“Love takes different forms. They’re all important,” What I thought would be one thing turned out something else. A very good turn of events, Mr Arbour, very good indeed.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 03:33 AM, centexhairysub said:
I really thought this whole chapter was just sweet. It was so nice and just completely enjoyable on so many levels. That may have been one of the nicest things that I ever saw Brad do; if the connection with Ben and Sean is true then Ben must be a top as well, so I guess it might not have worked out with him and Brad anyway... This was just a really nice suprise for a Saturday morning...
I'm glad you liked this one. I thought it was a happy chapter, where the big driver was the dialog.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 04:07 AM, rjo said:
“Love takes different forms. They’re all important,” What I thought would be one thing turned out something else. A very good turn of events, Mr Arbour, very good indeed.
Yeah, I thought readers would be a bit surprised. Dating is unpredictable.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

Another chapter that shows the state that Brad is still in and not ready for anything serious to develop, but the progress that he is making in dealing with his loss. Great how you do that, Mark. And we have a new and interesting pairing of side characters. You get us up for something to happen with Ben and then make the switch. When "Mr. Right" comes along at the "right time," I trust that you will make it believable and good.

Also great to see the family having a caring and enjoyable dinner together.

Thanks again for sharing your talents with us your loyal readers. :great:

  • Like 2
Link to comment

The finger thing with Stef took me right back to Brad's youth and I think it was the sweetest thing of all in very sweet chapter.

 

:2thumbs: As usual!

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I giggled at the driver spying for Will, shivered at "the look" between Ben and Sean, and thoroughly enjoyed a happy dinner at Escorial for a change. No drama as a side dish! I have to admit, Matt's comments about threesomes made me want to smack him upside the heat though. That's the sort of thing got him into trouble in the first place!

Excellent feel good chapter, even if the date with Ben didn't turn out the way most of us hoped. When things are right for Brad that will change.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Dear Mark,

I am excited to see that the next instalment to the CAP series is up. I would have reviewed earlier, but I am dealing with the rejection letter I have received to the only graduate program I applied to. They said that while I am a great academic candidate I was not chosen due to the lack of hands-on research experience (which is needed for an experimental psychology research degree) I have compared to the other applicants. Regardless here are my thoughts (I typed them for each chapter when I initially read them, but never posted them):

 

Chapter 1

Time Shift: I was surprised with the passage of time between 9.11 and Flux; six months from Nov. 22, 2001 to May 31, 2002.

Brad

POV: I am happy to see that he is sharing the spot of main POV with Matt. Both have to deal with major issues resulting from 9/11; Brad with the loss of Robbie and Matt with the implications he caused in pushing his family away.

Ben: I would like to see how Brad forms a relationship Ben. It reminds me of Rob. Both worked in physical labor fields and both kind of rough, calloused, and manly. It will be good for him to start dating again. I wonder what impact this will have on Chris though.

 

Chapter 2

Matt

  • Will: I was glad to see that Will and Matt began to discuss their issues. It is not fixed, but at least they kept is civil. They both know how to handle each other when they focus. Matt’s refresher with JP on Will’s perspective must have helped a lot.
  • Counseling: It always surprises me how much the CAP family need counselors. While counseling helped me, it sometimes led me to act worse. I guess with me I saw friends as better counselors than those with an actual degree. Mainly because friends see more and can show how your behavior with others has changed. However, when you push everyone away I guess you need one to deal with that aspect.
  • Wade: I did not like that Matt had sex with a drunk Wade. However, I disliked more that he made love to Wade. Wade is already struggling to handle his relationship with him. Wade is weak to Matt and making love just adds more confusion.

Chapter 3

Matt

  • Wade: He reacted just like I thought he would in chapter three.
  • Love: While they still love each other Matt should realize that he lost Wade’s trust. Just because he didn’t ask for a condom doesn’t mean trust when one person is drunk. Honestly Friends with benefits is probably the most Matt can get from Wade at this point.
  • Cuddling: I liked that Matt forced Wade to remember the positives. Specifically that he liked to cuddle with Wade; not just fuck him.
  • Questions: While Matt’s question were valid I think he should have answered Wade’s question, “So what happens, how are you going to handle things when I start dating someone else?”.
  • Welcome: I am glad he received a positive welcome from the family that morning.

 

Chapter 4

Tony

  • Will: I cannot believe that Tony has not realized that Will is not going to forgive him.
  • Matt: Seeing those two together shows that Tony was a good friend to Matt. While I disapprove of their actions I realize that if Matt didn't have Tony he may have ended up worse than he is.

Matt

  • College: I’m glad Matt discussed his college options with JP before Wade. If JP hadn’t given him his thoughts Matt may have not realized how Wade would take his acceptance of Boston. That would have made their dinner more emotional than it was; and push Wade further away. He should realize that if they get back together he can always transfer to Boston if he wants later.
  • Options: Between Matt’s options, UChicago is his best choice. If he can handle Stanford (ranked 2nd in most stressful colleges in 2011) he will be able to handle UChicago (ranked 6th; although highest rank in tuition costs at 54,195 at 2011) (Boston ranked 26th). Graduate college is about looking for the highest rated program (when you can afford it); so Matt needs to go to UChicago.

Wade

  • Brad: While there is sexual chemistry between him and Wade I do not think Matt should worry. They would never develop a romantic relationship. I think what Matt walked in on was most likely Brad and Wade discussing their thoughts on the similarity between Matt and Robbie. That is, Wade still loves Matt but sees their relationship as toxic like Robbie and Brad’s.
  • Trust: With Wade, Matt has to focus on Trust. That has been a key issue between them in the past. While I disapprove of Matt dealing visits out of Wade, it may end up helping or destroying them. It can show Wade Matt is improving or that they are drifting a part by developing love with another.

 

Chapter 5

Ben

  • Grilling: Dating always holds some form of grilling and Brad (being the take charge type) would get it done soon. Most wait till at least the second or third date.
  • Money: I think it’s a good sign that Ben was interested in Brad’s work. That is, he did not mention him having money or being rich, unlike Chris and his family.
  • Joking: Ben really played to Brad’s humor. It’s good for him that he can joke with Brad about his family without insulting them. (funny that Matt made that wood joke last chapter)

Will

Maturity: Brad is really noticing Will and giving him more credit when it’s due. While seeing the bigger picture is a part of maturity I believe Will holds more factors than that; such as:

  • Giving Up Short-Term Comfort for Long Term Gain
  • Performing a Job with of a Sense of Pride and Respect for Work
  • Being Sympathetic and Responsive to What Others Need
  • Setting Aside One’s Own Needs When Someone Else’s Needs are More Important
  • However he still needs to work on:
  • Making Decisions with Reason Rather Than Emotions
  • Effectively Communicating
  • Controlling One’s Emotions (Most of the Time)

He has greatly improved in developing his independence and interdependence. He still has work to do in autonomy and attachment. However, these are just a part of being a teen/young-adult.

 

Random Thoughts

  • Brad leaving his date is exactly like Stef. Stef gave JP Jeff.
  • I think Brad could benefit from someone like Ben. Personally I think he needs someone who is not focused on Brad’s money, business or their appearances. I like that Ben is more of casual vs. formal attire man. It’s nice to see that he does not like Brad spending ridiculous amounts of money on him. Most of Brad’s previous relationships expected gifts. I do not think it’s is similar to Robbie/Wally/Clara. I think Ben understands that, while money is nice, putting in effort is more.
  • Sadly Ben won’t happen due to Sean. If their relationship is like Brad and Robbie’s then they may have an argument/fight soon. However, if they work out I hope Brad should find a guy like Ben.

 

Kody

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I agree with everyone, a very sweet chapter. Things seem to be going well for everyone, but we all know that Professor Arbour will soon bring us some real drama.

 

Caught the drift of Brad saying good things about Will, one of my favorite characters. (Saying too many nice things about Will might cause some readers indigestion.)

  • Like 3
Link to comment

This family can battle, fight, almost destroy each other, go from crisis to crisis, and every once in a while you give us a chapter like this that shows us the base of love that holds them all together. AND as usual I had my misty moment remembering when Brad met Robbie. Thanks

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Interesting interchange between then and Brad about Will. I also like how Brad dealt with the Pedro situation and the likely correct assumption that Will was indeed keeping tabs on Brad to make sure that he was okay. I got a good little chuckle out of Brad for foiling Will's plan and was happy to see that he seems to be finally moving to a better place given everything that has happened.

 

Wow – talk about a direction change! It was pretty nice of Brad to have a suit done for Ben and gracefully deal with how uncomfortable that was making Ben, and then to be quick enough to ask Ben to make something for him in exchange for the suit. I really enjoyed the interplay between Ben and Brad and got a really good chuckle when they were in the suite at the Fairmont given its layout.

 

The scene in the restaurant and how he dealt with Ben and Sean's seeming instant attraction was also a surprising twist. I hope Brett is right in that karma is good to him if indeed been and Sean become a couple.

 

Great scene at Escorial having mostly everyone together and being able to enjoy each others company – and a nice way to wrap up the chapter...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 05:24 AM, RLC MA said:
Another chapter that shows the state that Brad is still in and not ready for anything serious to develop, but the progress that he is making in dealing with his loss. Great how you do that, Mark. And we have a new and interesting pairing of side characters. You get us up for something to happen with Ben and then make the switch. When "Mr. Right" comes along at the "right time," I trust that you will make it believable and good.

Also great to see the family having a caring and enjoyable dinner together.

Thanks again for sharing your talents with us your loyal readers. :great:

I think that's a good read on where Brad finds himself. He's shrewd enough to know that if he tried to have a relationship right now, it would be a tough go.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 05:27 AM, Daddydavek said:
The finger thing with Stef took me right back to Brad's youth and I think it was the sweetest thing of all in very sweet chapter.

 

:2thumbs: As usual!

I think that unique and special gestures like that are pretty cool. In a family like this, it's useful to have a way to say "I love you" in a strong way.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 05:47 AM, Kitt said:
I giggled at the driver spying for Will, shivered at "the look" between Ben and Sean, and thoroughly enjoyed a happy dinner at Escorial for a change. No drama as a side dish! I have to admit, Matt's comments about threesomes made me want to smack him upside the heat though. That's the sort of thing got him into trouble in the first place!

Excellent feel good chapter, even if the date with Ben didn't turn out the way most of us hoped. When things are right for Brad that will change.

The dating scene is not that clear cut, where you luckily stumble onto someone and it's just perfect. I wanted to show that, to show that things can start off well and just fizzle.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 06:40 AM, KodeOwl said:
Dear Mark,

I am excited to see that the next instalment to the CAP series is up. I would have reviewed earlier, but I am dealing with the rejection letter I have received to the only graduate program I applied to. They said that while I am a great academic candidate I was not chosen due to the lack of hands-on research experience (which is needed for an experimental psychology research degree) I have compared to the other applicants. Regardless here are my thoughts (I typed them for each chapter when I initially read them, but never posted them):

 

Chapter 1

Time Shift: I was surprised with the passage of time between 9.11 and Flux; six months from Nov. 22, 2001 to May 31, 2002.

Brad

POV: I am happy to see that he is sharing the spot of main POV with Matt. Both have to deal with major issues resulting from 9/11; Brad with the loss of Robbie and Matt with the implications he caused in pushing his family away.

Ben: I would like to see how Brad forms a relationship Ben. It reminds me of Rob. Both worked in physical labor fields and both kind of rough, calloused, and manly. It will be good for him to start dating again. I wonder what impact this will have on Chris though.

 

Chapter 2

Matt

  • Will: I was glad to see that Will and Matt began to discuss their issues. It is not fixed, but at least they kept is civil. They both know how to handle each other when they focus. Matt’s refresher with JP on Will’s perspective must have helped a lot.
  • Counseling: It always surprises me how much the CAP family need counselors. While counseling helped me, it sometimes led me to act worse. I guess with me I saw friends as better counselors than those with an actual degree. Mainly because friends see more and can show how your behavior with others has changed. However, when you push everyone away I guess you need one to deal with that aspect.
  • Wade: I did not like that Matt had sex with a drunk Wade. However, I disliked more that he made love to Wade. Wade is already struggling to handle his relationship with him. Wade is weak to Matt and making love just adds more confusion.

Chapter 3

Matt

  • Wade: He reacted just like I thought he would in chapter three.
  • Love: While they still love each other Matt should realize that he lost Wade’s trust. Just because he didn’t ask for a condom doesn’t mean trust when one person is drunk. Honestly Friends with benefits is probably the most Matt can get from Wade at this point.
  • Cuddling: I liked that Matt forced Wade to remember the positives. Specifically that he liked to cuddle with Wade; not just fuck him.
  • Questions: While Matt’s question were valid I think he should have answered Wade’s question, “So what happens, how are you going to handle things when I start dating someone else?”.
  • Welcome: I am glad he received a positive welcome from the family that morning.

 

Chapter 4

Tony

  • Will: I cannot believe that Tony has not realized that Will is not going to forgive him.
  • Matt: Seeing those two together shows that Tony was a good friend to Matt. While I disapprove of their actions I realize that if Matt didn't have Tony he may have ended up worse than he is.

Matt

  • College: I’m glad Matt discussed his college options with JP before Wade. If JP hadn’t given him his thoughts Matt may have not realized how Wade would take his acceptance of Boston. That would have made their dinner more emotional than it was; and push Wade further away. He should realize that if they get back together he can always transfer to Boston if he wants later.
  • Options: Between Matt’s options, UChicago is his best choice. If he can handle Stanford (ranked 2nd in most stressful colleges in 2011) he will be able to handle UChicago (ranked 6th; although highest rank in tuition costs at 54,195 at 2011) (Boston ranked 26th). Graduate college is about looking for the highest rated program (when you can afford it); so Matt needs to go to UChicago.

Wade

  • Brad: While there is sexual chemistry between him and Wade I do not think Matt should worry. They would never develop a romantic relationship. I think what Matt walked in on was most likely Brad and Wade discussing their thoughts on the similarity between Matt and Robbie. That is, Wade still loves Matt but sees their relationship as toxic like Robbie and Brad’s.
  • Trust: With Wade, Matt has to focus on Trust. That has been a key issue between them in the past. While I disapprove of Matt dealing visits out of Wade, it may end up helping or destroying them. It can show Wade Matt is improving or that they are drifting a part by developing love with another.

 

Chapter 5

Ben

  • Grilling: Dating always holds some form of grilling and Brad (being the take charge type) would get it done soon. Most wait till at least the second or third date.
  • Money: I think it’s a good sign that Ben was interested in Brad’s work. That is, he did not mention him having money or being rich, unlike Chris and his family.
  • Joking: Ben really played to Brad’s humor. It’s good for him that he can joke with Brad about his family without insulting them. (funny that Matt made that wood joke last chapter)

Will

Maturity: Brad is really noticing Will and giving him more credit when it’s due. While seeing the bigger picture is a part of maturity I believe Will holds more factors than that; such as:

  • Giving Up Short-Term Comfort for Long Term Gain
  • Performing a Job with of a Sense of Pride and Respect for Work
  • Being Sympathetic and Responsive to What Others Need
  • Setting Aside One’s Own Needs When Someone Else’s Needs are More Important
  • However he still needs to work on:
  • Making Decisions with Reason Rather Than Emotions
  • Effectively Communicating
  • Controlling One’s Emotions (Most of the Time)

He has greatly improved in developing his independence and interdependence. He still has work to do in autonomy and attachment. However, these are just a part of being a teen/young-adult.

 

Random Thoughts

  • Brad leaving his date is exactly like Stef. Stef gave JP Jeff.
  • I think Brad could benefit from someone like Ben. Personally I think he needs someone who is not focused on Brad’s money, business or their appearances. I like that Ben is more of casual vs. formal attire man. It’s nice to see that he does not like Brad spending ridiculous amounts of money on him. Most of Brad’s previous relationships expected gifts. I do not think it’s is similar to Robbie/Wally/Clara. I think Ben understands that, while money is nice, putting in effort is more.
  • Sadly Ben won’t happen due to Sean. If their relationship is like Brad and Robbie’s then they may have an argument/fight soon. However, if they work out I hope Brad should find a guy like Ben.

 

Kody

Kody,

 

Thanks for the review, but you kill me with these long ones. This system it too kludgy to reply at length, especially since when I hit "reply", the window pops up on top of the review. Ugh. But I read your thoughts, and enjoyed them!

 

I understand what you said about counseling, but I think that it's good for these guys to have another frame of reference. And I liked how you summed up Will's progress, and his 'to do' list.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 07:03 AM, davewri said:
I agree with everyone, a very sweet chapter. Things seem to be going well for everyone, but we all know that Professor Arbour will soon bring us some real drama.

 

Caught the drift of Brad saying good things about Will, one of my favorite characters. (Saying too many nice things about Will might cause some readers indigestion.)

Real drama? Why, when things are rolling along so nicely? SMILE.

 

I think it's interesting that Brad seems much more tuned in to Will these days.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 08:24 AM, stanollie said:
This family can battle, fight, almost destroy each other, go from crisis to crisis, and every once in a while you give us a chapter like this that shows us the base of love that holds them all together. AND as usual I had my misty moment remembering when Brad met Robbie. Thanks
The Brad-Robbie meeting was pretty cool...I'm with you on this one. And you're right about the love that's there. I think that keeps things bound together, even when it seems like everyone is flying off into a whole different direction.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 08:52 AM, KevinD said:
Interesting interchange between then and Brad about Will. I also like how Brad dealt with the Pedro situation and the likely correct assumption that Will was indeed keeping tabs on Brad to make sure that he was okay. I got a good little chuckle out of Brad for foiling Will's plan and was happy to see that he seems to be finally moving to a better place given everything that has happened.

 

Wow – talk about a direction change! It was pretty nice of Brad to have a suit done for Ben and gracefully deal with how uncomfortable that was making Ben, and then to be quick enough to ask Ben to make something for him in exchange for the suit. I really enjoyed the interplay between Ben and Brad and got a really good chuckle when they were in the suite at the Fairmont given its layout.

 

The scene in the restaurant and how he dealt with Ben and Sean's seeming instant attraction was also a surprising twist. I hope Brett is right in that karma is good to him if indeed been and Sean become a couple.

 

Great scene at Escorial having mostly everyone together and being able to enjoy each others company – and a nice way to wrap up the chapter...

I thought that the way Brad handled the Sean-Ben issue was very indicative of how he's coming along. He saw that connection and backed off.

 

It's a shame that Matt didn't do that when he was dealing with Tony.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

hey Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Flux.

 

A sweet and surprising chapter. I never really saw the Ben/Brad connection, but I deferred to other reviewers, so I'm surprised to see it go like this. It was a very sweet gesture on Brad's part of course to let Sean and Ben have the night to themselves.

 

Did I get scolded for my immaturity rants in this chapter? :P

I really love Brad as a character and as a narrator. Can't wait to see where you're taking him and the story.

 

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

  • Like 3
Link to comment

First off thank you, a fresh Arbour chapter is always a highlight.

Next, unexpected, yet delightful twist bringing Sean back to the CAP fold allowing Brad to show his inner thoughtfulness and give Sean and Ben their moment to explore that connection (I hope Will won't be too hard on Ben). Brad feels like he's on the verge of transcending some of his more questionable past actions and I find I am rooting for him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Matt should be happy that Sean has found someone else, because as far as I remember Sean was attracted to Wade and in my mind he was one of the few potential guys for Wade to have a relationship with other than Matt. I liked Sean a lot and always felt a bit sorry for him (about the Wade thing), so it pleased me that he clicked with Ben. Hope we'll see more of them as the story continues - and I'm not adverse to some hot threesomes :P

Will may tease Ben about it, but he knows what it's like to have a connection like that. And since Brad obviously feels good about the whole situation, Will is likely to be content too. I think the whole experience was good for Brad, he needed to know that a handsome young guy like Ben can find him attractive and want to flirt, and he needed to know that he was comfortable going on a casual date. It wold be too difficult for him to go straight into another relationship. And I still think Brad should spend a night with Cody for some sexual healing.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Interesting..... a number of people thought Sean might be a great partner for Wade, so I wonder if Ben was just a device to take Sean out of play?

 

It is a shame that Brad went through all the effort for a great first date, including getting a room at the Fairmont, only to lose his date before the date really began. Although I think it was pretty obvious that Ben was never going to be the long term solution for Brad. While I don't think Brad needs someone his same social station, I do think he needs an intellectual equal, maybe not Chris Martinez, but someone more like that than a tradesman. Its okay to screw the stable boy, you just don't marry them.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 11:03 AM, shyboy85 said:
hey Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Flux.

 

A sweet and surprising chapter. I never really saw the Ben/Brad connection, but I deferred to other reviewers, so I'm surprised to see it go like this. It was a very sweet gesture on Brad's part of course to let Sean and Ben have the night to themselves.

 

Did I get scolded for my immaturity rants in this chapter? :P

I really love Brad as a character and as a narrator. Can't wait to see where you're taking him and the story.

 

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

Thanks Maarten. No scolding, and no talk of maturity. :-)

 

I'm interested to see where I take Brad as well. I'll figure it out.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 05:03 PM, Miles Long said:
First off thank you, a fresh Arbour chapter is always a highlight.

Next, unexpected, yet delightful twist bringing Sean back to the CAP fold allowing Brad to show his inner thoughtfulness and give Sean and Ben their moment to explore that connection (I hope Will won't be too hard on Ben). Brad feels like he's on the verge of transcending some of his more questionable past actions and I find I am rooting for him.

Hmm. Transcending some of his past actions. I'm not sure if Brad is quite there yet.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/16/2014 05:51 PM, Timothy M. said:
Matt should be happy that Sean has found someone else, because as far as I remember Sean was attracted to Wade and in my mind he was one of the few potential guys for Wade to have a relationship with other than Matt. I liked Sean a lot and always felt a bit sorry for him (about the Wade thing), so it pleased me that he clicked with Ben. Hope we'll see more of them as the story continues - and I'm not adverse to some hot threesomes :P

Will may tease Ben about it, but he knows what it's like to have a connection like that. And since Brad obviously feels good about the whole situation, Will is likely to be content too. I think the whole experience was good for Brad, he needed to know that a handsome young guy like Ben can find him attractive and want to flirt, and he needed to know that he was comfortable going on a casual date. It wold be too difficult for him to go straight into another relationship. And I still think Brad should spend a night with Cody for some sexual healing.

I think that Matt isn't worried about Sean, since they had that threesome, and that makes it more innocuous in his mind. Besides, Wade is moving to Boston, and a long distance relationship would be tough for both Sean and Wade.

 

That's a good call on the deal with Brad and Ben. I'm sure it's a nice ego boost to have a guy like that attracted to you.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..