Jump to content
    Mikiesboy
  • Author
  • 117 Words
  • 1,082 Views
  • 11 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timmy's Journal - 34. Haiku #2 - Poetry Prompt 11

So back to the prompts after a bit of a holiday from them. Haiku is not my favourite. Though this type was somewhat easier.

So if I understand the prompt (#11) correctly this type of Haiku is more personal. More about how I feel, what I see, rather than the objective view of a reporter. Hopefully I got it right in these two. Still found it hard to write, however here we are.

my dying dogs eyes
speak bluntly and so loudly
my breaking heart hears

So after some discussion and suggestion by AC, I decided to post the change below. I like them both but think the second is more effective.

my dying dog's eyes
speak bluntly and so loudly
my deaf heart can hear

 

sparrow looking in
sitting on the windowsill
does he pity me?

Thanks all who read these; brave souls you are.
Thanks AC for your suggestions!!
Copyright © 2017 Mikiesboy; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Love them both, tim! The first is beautiful and sad, and I love the question you pose in the second one... well done, my friend... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

Haiku and it's related form Tanka are favorite styles of mine. I think you've done very well meeting the intent of the prompt. Expressing your thought within the limiting constraints of the form.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I think you described your thoughts and feelings without reporting here, especially in the first. The second raises an intriguing thought...the sparrow pitying you at the window. What about its glimpse into your life would make it do so? I think both of these express pain and unhappiness well; in that sense, you have done very well, indeed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Like Parker, my first question about #2 was why. Why would the sparrow pity you what did he see? He could be thinking "Man, what I wouldn't give to curl up on that couch.. But no I have to build a nest, find food, dodge that darned cat.." He could be envious.. :P
But, I loved them both. Didn't feel like reporting to me, so I'd say you did great..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Hey tim
The first one hits close to home for me because I remember that look and that day only too well.
As for the second one, does the sparrow pity you, really? He just might if you're inside working while he's outside in the fresh air doing what he wants.
The imagery these words invoke in both poems is vivid and strong in my mind's eye.
As always, nicely done tim.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/17/2016 04:04 AM, Headstall said:

Love them both, tim! The first is beautiful and sad, and I love the question you pose in the second one... well done, my friend... cheers... Gary...

Thank you Gary! We get little sparrows on the kitchen window sill. I just wander what they think of us being inside...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/17/2016 04:30 AM, dughlas said:

Haiku and it's related form Tanka are favorite styles of mine. I think you've done very well meeting the intent of the prompt. Expressing your thought within the limiting constraints of the form.

Thanks so much dugh! I want to get on with the prompts. Glad these worked...

Link to comment
On 05/17/2016 05:09 AM, Parker Owens said:

I think you described your thoughts and feelings without reporting here, especially in the first. The second raises an intriguing thought...the sparrow pitying you at the window. What about its glimpse into your life would make it do so? I think both of these express pain and unhappiness well; in that sense, you have done very well, indeed.

Thanks Parker. I think the question in the second one, is me just wondering if the sparrow pitied me for being in a cage or sorts...that's all.

Link to comment

Both are beautiful, and I'm glad you worked through the Poetry Prompt. The emotional POV you show here is exactly the type I think Issa used so well and so effectively. You've done it! And, the poems are touching and 'real' too, which gives them instant accessibility to every reader. That's the main thing. Very well done.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

I really enjoyed both poems. The first speaks to me on a more personal level though, having been through the same thing. I think I preferred the first version. Deaf heart seems to give an impression that you didn't "hear" your love, or Ripley's love until that moment, and I know that wasn't true. (again, just an impression, I know that's not what you intended)

Link to comment

I really don't know a pet and owner relationship, because I don't have any. But your Haiku showed me a lot how much it can build between a pet and its owner. And you have written it in a great way. Yeah it is full of sadness, but you have showed it beautifully.

 

Here I agree with Lit about the part of 'Deaf Heart', it sound like a stony heart, in a way. And on the other side it even looks like a 'story heart can love' way.

 

And the second poem, that was just wow. You have compared the freedom as a bird, teasing the little human life like 'what a structured life you build around yourself!'; which reflected as a cage. It has been greatly presented... :)

 

~Emi.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..