Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Brian: Taking Courage - 11. Cousin David & the cabin

"You see much of Dee nowadays, now she's managed to get shut of Toby?"

David was the owner of the cabin, Deirdre's cousin, though he called her Dee. He couldn't be much more different to Deidre; big and bear-like he was friendly and forthcoming, happy to chat and apparently without a prickly bone in his body. He had responded with remarkable alacrity to Brian’s email, offering their help on doing up the cabin. As a result, Briand and Gordon were spending the day at the cabin with David, to start doing some remedial work; he had even driven over and collected them from the flat in his van. They were working in the kitchen area, having moved all the furniture away.

"Not since our barney. She tell you about that?"

David gave a dry chuckle, "You bet. Copy of some gay mag in Toby's bedroom?"

"Yeah."

"Stupid. Boys are going to be curious. Is a gay magazine any worse than women with big tits. All the same. Besides, it wasn't nudes or porn, was it?"

"No, just news and a few sexy pictures."

"Precisely. She was well pissed off that you got shacked up with a guy, you know", he looked at Brian and Gordon. "Came over one day and gave the missus a real earful", he shook his head, "can't understand it. You'd think she'd be happy that you got settled with a nice bloke and a great flat. Not sure whether it's because it's a bloke?"

"Or because I've got hitched, full stop."

"Yeah, that's what we figured. Mind, that Jasper is a nasty piece of work, homophobic I'd reckon, and definitely with some other dodgy views", he shook his head, "the missus won't have him in the house. Dee just pops over occasionally."

"And sounds off."

"Yep! I don't think she's happy, but, well, not much you can do. Toby see her much?"

"Not as much as he'd like. They meet up for dinner some evenings, but it's a bit hit and miss. We never know when it's going to happen and that pisses him off. Don't think she understands that he likes regularity."

"Yeah, they often do at that age. Certainly the missus' nieces and nephews do. You could have brought him today."

"Turns out a mate a school had a birthday, parents taking a group of them to a theme park, meal afterwards."

David gave a dry chuckle, "Bloody hell, rather them than me."

"Precisely. So, maybe next time."

They continued working, companionably chatting about idle things. David was an accountant and was curious about Ares and so this came up. David lived way East of Parborough but seemed to keep up with local news, so they chatted about both Huntsford and Parborough. Finally, Deirdre came up again.

"I reckon that Jasper's getting itchy feet."

"You mean he might leave Deirdre?"

"No such luck. More like he wants to leave here; pastures new and that and take her with him."

"Where does he want to go to?"

"Well, according to Dee, he reckons that he has a better chance further South, maybe even abroad. His talent would be better recognised."

"Really? Is he serious?"

"Well, in a way. The missus and I reckon he's nothing but a fantasist. Always got a chip on his shoulder, anything goes wrong, it's the other guy's fault."

"He certainly has an unpleasant way with him."

"You met him?"

"Not at all. Toby's talked about him."

"Oh aye. What does the boy think?"

"Not a lot. Makes fun of his interest in ecology and climate change and makes homophobic remarks."

"Hmm. Not good. Your boy is he... Sorry, I probably shouldn't ask."

"Don't worry. He's at the interested stage."

"Aye, interested in everything, a mass of raging hormones."

"Oh don't."

David grinned, "You've got lots to look forward to. Still, at least if he's interested in boys, you won't have problems with them getting pregnant."

Gordon rolled his eyes and Brian grinned, "Don't mention that. We're still getting used to have Toby around."

"He'd miss his Mum if she did up and leave?"

"Almost certainly. I probably better tell him."

"Tell me, if it's not being too nosy, but why doesn't Dee meet Toby at your Mum's."

Gordon laughed, "Oh, that would be a battle to watch."

"Mum could never stand Deirdre and I suspect wouldn't stand on ceremony."

"Handbags at dawn."

"Dead right. And Toby won't go to his Mum’s house."

"Because of Jasper?"

"Think so. So it leaves them meeting in Huntsford. Best we can do."

"Well, I think that's about it for today, don't you think?", David stood up and straightened himself out, surveying the work they'd done and the list of work to be done.

"How about a swim, to finish off?"

David looked sideways at the other two, "Swim?"

"Yes. The last twice we've been here, we've had a swim. Gordon's Mum and Dad joined us last time."

David shrugged, "I've not brought a costume with me, never thought."

"We haven't used them so far. Come on, it's fun."

David stared, then laughed and shrugged, "Oh, what the hell. Why not. You do realise I've never done anything like this before. Wait a mo. You said you had Gordon's Mum and Dad swimming with you last time?"

"True."

"Wearing costumes?"

"Not at all. Mum and Dad are what you might call ageing hippies. I was brought up going skinny dipping."

"Bloody hell. I'm not sure the missus would like it", but then he smirked, "or perhaps she might."

David was certainly big all round, and bear like, covered in hair yet not unpleasant to look at if you liked the type, and the way he ran into the water causing a great splash was entirely infectious in its joy. "Bloody hell, we should have done this years ago. Wait till I tell the missus." It was a bit like swimming with an energetic seal, and fun, notwithstanding.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Hmm?"

"You don't mind Toby seeing you like this, naked like. Both of you?"

Gordon smiled "And my parents."

"Not at all, it's healthy for him to have his curiosity satisfied."

"So you're OK with him swimming with us next time?"

"If you are?"

"I imagine. But first, I've got to get the missus here. The two of us, a nice intimate, tete a tete", and he smirked.

As they were drying, David coughed, "Could I ask you something personal."

"You can ask, certainly."

"I couldn't help but notice that you’re shaved? Is that something that came from your time in the desert?"

"Yes and no. Gordon did it anyway and, well, I rather liked the look on him. Sorry, probably too much information."

"Not at all. My fault for asking but thank you for being frank."

David was keen to get back to his wife, so it gave Brian and Gordon an evening of their own as Toby was having a sleepover after the party. Rather them than us was Brian and Gordon's feeling, except that they had the horrible feeling that at some point they would be hosting a sleepover too.

A week or so later, Brian got a chatty email from David about plans for the cabin, detailing the services of a couple of mates who could help with electrics and plumbing, and at the end he mentioned that he managed to tempt his wife out there. The weather had been perfect, they'd had a lovely picnic, a walk and amazingly a swim. It had gone down well. He didn't say, but his phrasing suggested that the trip might have had a more intimate consequence, though as Gordon said, they didn't really want to imagine David and his wife going at it.

Copyright © 2023 Robert Hugill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 33
  • Haha 6
  • Wow 2
Many thanks for reading.  I'm always delighted to receive comments and suggestions
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Glad of the cordial relationship between David and Brian, which was extended to Gordon….David seems to view Deirdre and her situation with clear eyes, it’s clear she was accustomed to having Brian at her beck and call to manipulate and abuse emotionally at whim….now she’s with someone as miserable (yet potentially more dangerous) than she is; Toby is much better off with his father….he loves his mother in spite of her emotional immaturity but the older he gets, the less he may tolerate; he already seems more mature than her.

“Handbags at dawn."  

One of those delightful English euphemisms not common here in the States…. I take it handbags in lieu of the guns usually used at a duel?  Lol, I love it!!

A delightful chapter, that showed being receptive to new ideas can enhance one’s life, as David (and his wife) can attest to, lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..