Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Brian: Taking Courage - 6. Back Home

Toby was excited that his Dad was coming home, but nervous too. His Mum was a bit on edge, making comments about Brian pulling his weight, and Toby worried that she'd manage to mess things up. On one of his Dad's previous visits, he'd over-heard his Dad on the phone commenting to a mate that 'Deirdre always manages to fuck things up'. Whilst Toby would never dare come out and say it, he knew it was true. At least, his Mum and Dad tended to mess things up when they were together. He hoped not this time.

There was also the issue of which Dad was coming home. During his last visit, his Dad had been way cooler and more relaxed. Still his Dad and that, but they'd had fun and he'd been interested in the stuff Toby was doing at school. And he'd been like that during the Facetimes. Toby hoped that this held. But the big thing was that his Dad had a boyfriend. He'd said hello to Gordon briefly on the computer, but it wasn't the same as meeting him. As long as Toby could remember, his Dad had never really had a proper relationship, not with his Mum or anyone else.

Justin was the only person that knew that his Dad was going to be living with his boyfriend, Gordon, and that Toby would be staying with them. They had talked about it endlessly, but just didn't know.

His Dad had said that he could ask him questions, and he had. Some. But there was lots more. Toby and Justin had done a bit of messing about, but Justin was keen on one of the girls in Three B, and she seemed to be responsive. The result was that part of their discussion time was devoted to Justin's adventures and hopes. Toby didn't mind, Justin was a mate, but it had hit Toby that he didn't feel like that. He had ideas and thoughts, but only about other boys. Knowing about his Dad and Gordon meant he felt a bit less weird, even though there was no-one he knew that admitted they liked boys. Still, as his Dad had tried to explain, not everyone knew or accepted. And Toby was pretty certain, if his Mum knew she'd be furious, whereas his Gran seemed completely cool.

Seeing his Dad naked had been an unexpected bonus. There had been glimpses of a couple of the sports teachers when changing, but his Dad was the first time he'd got a proper look. And Toby decided he liked looking. He couldn't imagine doing anything, he was his Dad after all and old. But looking was good.

What Toby missed was a friend to talk about things, about the things he liked and found exciting. And maybe to do stuff too.

---

"Dad, do you know when your flight gets home?"

Brian was doing a final Facetime with Toby before the big finish. Tomorrow, he and Gordon got presented with some sort of medal by the Emir then they would be off. Gordon had moaned that a bag of gold might be better than a crummy medal, but by doing the full five years, they did get a decent bonus.

"We fly in late on Wednesday, so we'll get back to Gordon's flat in Parborough late that evening, and sort things out on Thursday and Friday."

"I thought his Mum and Dad were doing that?"

"Sure, but you know that folk never do stuff quite right, you want to do it yourself. I'll have to go over to Gran's to get my stuff and we'll be all set for your visit during your holidays."

"OK. Can't I come over earlier?"

"Toby, we've been over this. We don't really know what state things are in, and besides you have school. Look if we get things sorted, then I'll let you and your Mum know and you can come over at the weekend. But only if we have things OK."

"OK Dad", and the boy gave him grin.

"You've got the address, and Gordon's details just in case?"

"Yes Dad, and I know that Gran has them too. So we know where you'll be."

"Ok, take care. See you next week."

A final cheeky grin before the call ended.

It was finally happening. Neither had much stuff, and Brian had decided he wasn't going to try and sort anything out until he got back home. He'd go to his Mum's and collect some of the things he'd left there. He knew she'd have sorted it and washed anything that needed it. Gordon's parents were delighted he was returning and were eagerly trying to be helpful and get the flat ready. Gordon was dreading it and kept muttering about hand-made pots and tie-dyed curtains. Brian wasn't sure what that was all about, but he kept stumm and assured Gordon that if there was a bed with sheets that was fine.

What neither of them came out and said was that they were nervous. Nervous of going back into ordinary life after five years in the desert with everything organised for you. The food might not be up to much, but it was there, come rain or shine. Nervous of going into a new job, or new jobs, that would be a stretch for both of them. Nervous of suddenly being together without having to hide anything, nervous of telling people that they were boyfriends.

"I told Mum and Dad."

Brian looked up, "About?"

"You. Us. My boyfriend."

"I thought you were going to wait?"

"Well, it was eating me up a bit and, well, Mum kept on about the beds and sheets and stuff and I got fed up and snapped. Told her we'd be sleeping together."

Brian grinned, "Damn right, I want to wake up next to you."

"Bit of a novelty for them. I've never had a regular boyfriend at home", he gave a wry shrug, "Never been very good boyfriend material at all."

"Well, we've done Ok so far."

"Yeah, but..."

"No yeah buts. We've done OK here, and we're going to make a shot of it there. Toby can't wait to meet you, properly."

"That's what scares me."

"You know the truth. Scares me too. Must be six years ago since we last lived together regularly; before I worked for the Emir. Then Deirdre blew hot and cold, and I was never sure whether I'd see him at all. So, it's going to be a bit strange."

"Lots to learn."

"Fucking lots. And he wants to skinny dip again, the three of us."

Gordon sprayed his mouthful of alcohol-free lager, luckily simply across the sand by their seats. They were outside the mess, having a drink. "You are joking!"

"Nope. He specifically asked."

"You reckon...", Gordon wrinkled his brow.

"Nope. Not that. I think he's just curious."

"About?"

"Men's dicks. Compare and contrast. I least I hope so. He'll be disappointed otherwise."

"What if?", Gordon wiggled his eyebrows.

"We are not going to get hard. We are not. That's just pervy."

"Davey was telling me, there was a guy in B company who was caught Facetiming, with his pants down, stroking himself. And on the other end was his 14-year-old nephew, naked as a jaybird and with a hard-on too."

"Bloody hell. That's seriously pervy and bit too dodgy for my liking."

"So, it's brisk cold swim and that's it."

"Yep. We've got the cabin for a couple of days as no-one else wanted it."

"Deirdre's cousin, that place?"

"Yeah. Thought we could swim, chill with Toby and check out what might need doing to it?"

"The cousin still keen?"

"Yeah. Think we might come to some arrangement, but we need to work out what needs doing, first."

They were silent for a bit.

"Mum and Dad are going to want us to go over for a meal."

"Is that bad?"

"Well, I'm used to them."

Brian laughed, "Parents are parents, you have to get used to them. You should have met Deirdre's."

Gordon gave a dry laugh, "I don't think I want to, thank you."

"There you are. So, I go to yours and you come to mine. At one we get smothered in hippy weirdness and at the other we get fed so much we can't move. Simple", he grinned and kissed Gordon briefly. Though there was no-one around, they'd let the mask slip just a little and what had been a secret, became an open secret. It felt good.

Copyright © 2023 Robert Hugill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 43
  • Fingers Crossed 3
Many thanks for reading.  I'm always delighted to receive comments and suggestions
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Its lovely and heartening reading peoples comments and thoughts about the characters & plot, especially the directions the plot might have taken. There are indeed fireworks to come.

  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

Some wonderfully humorous moments in this chapter, including "Gordon was dreading it and kept muttering about hand-made pots and tie-dyed curtains" and "Mum and Dad are going to want us to go over for a meal." "Is that bad?" "Well, I'm used to them." Brian laughed, "Parents are parents, you have to get used to them. You should have met Deirdre's." I have to say I would likely love the hand-made pots and would definitely love the tie-dyed curtains, although I am not a fan of curtains per se.

The highlight of the chapter for me though is the apparent joyful anticipation Toby is experiencing awaiting his Dad's arrival home and his recognition that his Dad appears to be much happier with Gordon than he has ever known him to be. 

Most enjoyable chapter @Robert Hugill. Toby is a delight.

Gordon's parents will be featuring in future chapters!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

😆 I'm looking forward to meeting Gordon's parents, but also to seeing how the Toby, Gordon, Brian camp at the cabin goes. 😀 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Somehow I got sidetracked but now back in with loads of chps to catch up on.  A great story with v nice characterisation.  

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..