Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,732 Words
  • 114 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes

CRYSTALLINE - 10. A Missing Person

A month after their father’s arrest, the boys arrived home at four pm one day and could not fail to see their mother’s car smashed into the back of the garage, having demolished the back wall. Dante rushed to the car to see if his mother was there, while Patrick went into the house calling “Are you here Mum, are you ok?”

“Yes, of course I am” she replied as she put down her glass of white wine she had treated herself to.

“Why are you drinking Mum, are you ok?” asked Dante as he entered the room.

“Just settling my nerves, I made quite a mess of the garage, didn’t I?

“Sure did, what happened?”

“I must have pressed the accelerator instead of the brake. But I’m not hurt. The airbag saved me”

Then as she pressed herself she said “I’m not so sure my breasts would agree. I think they’ll be sporting huge bruises tomorrow”

“Too much information Mum” said Dante

“Oh get over yourself, half the world population has them”

“Sorry Mum, just in a bit of shock at seeing the garage and worried you might be injured”

“Well I’m fine, although I don’t feel up to cooking tonight and we can’t go out for dinner with the car like that, so what say you order home delivery later, whatever you want, my treat”

“Sure Mum and relieved you’re not hurt”

“Thanks son”

“Me to” added Patrick.

“You really are such caring sons. I’m going to need your support now your father’s gone”

“What do you mean gone, he’s just living at Aunty Maria’s”

“Of course, but he’s not allowed to have any contact with you boys and it’s likely he may go to prison for what he’s done”

“We hope that doesn’t happen Mum. But whatever the outcome, of course we’ll support you. Won’t we Patrick?”

“Yes, always here for you, Mum”

***

Two days later, Maria called Patricia.

“Hi Maria, what trouble has my husband caused you now?”

“No, it’s not that, but I’m calling to see if he’s with you”

“Why would he be with me? Apart from the court order for him to stay away from the boys, I wouldn’t have him in the house anyway. But why are you asking?”

“I haven’t seen him for two days. I didn’t take much notice the first night. I thought he may have come home late and went to work early. But I’m sure he didn’t sleep in his bed last night, it’s the same as when I tidied it up”

“Well I have no idea where he is and frankly don’t care”

“That’s unkind Patricia, but I can understand your disappointment with him”

“Maybe he’s been arrested again”

“Surely the police would tell one of us is they did that and besides his car is not here either. They wouldn’t let him drive his car to the police station if they re-arrested him” affirmed Maria

“I see, so what are you going to do?”

“I thought you should let the police know” suggested Maria

“He’s not my problem anymore. You don’t suppose he skipped bail. Yes, that’s what the bastard’s done, gone on the run and I’ll lose all that bail money. Typical of him”

Patricia was beginning to enjoy playing the role of the innocent, badly done by wife.

“I think I should call the police and try to sort this out. I’ll let you know what I find out” Maria concluded and hung up.

***

The boys came home from school with Dante’s friend, Ricky, whose father is a builder.

“Shit your mother sure did a good job on the back wall, but I’m sure Dad can fix it for her”

“Good, Mum’s got so much to deal with at present, we’re trying to help her as much as possible”

While standing behind Ricky, Patrick shook his head at Dante, indicating, stop talking.

“Can you get us some snacks?” Dante asked Patrick “I want to talk to Ricky”

“Are you sure?”

“That I want snacks?”

“No dumb arse, just be careful what you say about family stuff”

As Patrick left, Ricky asked “What’s he on about?”

“Who knows...well actually I should tell you, being my best mate”

“Thanks for saying that. Sometimes I’m not sure about you. You look at me across the classroom like I’m special to you and then when we meet in the school yard, you practically ignore me”

“Can I say something and if you don’t like it, please don’t get mad at me” asked Dante

“Ok, what?”

“Ricky, I like you more than just as a mate. Do you understand?”

“I think so, if it’s in the way I like you”

A relieved Dante asked “So you’re not mad that I said it?”

“No, it’s kinda nice to finally know. No it’s not kinda nice, it’s fabulous”

“In that case...” replied Dante, as he took Ricky’s hand “...can I kiss you?”

“If you don’t, then I’ll kiss you”

As the two boys put their hands around each other’s necks, Patrick returned with the snacks and almost dropped them he was so surprised. As he put the snacks on the floor, since everything in the garage had been destroyed, he said “Will you two get a room”

“Oh...what...” Dante mumbled as their lips parted.

“You two have finally got your shit together. About bloody time”

“You mean you knew?” asked Ricky

“Yeah... me and half the school”

“Did you tell him?” Ricky asked Dante

“He didn’t have to. You two make eyes at each other over the chem bench and then avoid each other at recess. A classic sign” concluded Patrick.

 

When they finished their snacks, Ricky gave Dante one of his father’s business cards, kissed him goodbye and left with a new spring in his step.

 

Dante gave his mother the business card with an explanation and she said “Yes, thanks for that, but we have another more pressing problem at present. it looks like you father’s skipped bail and gone into hiding”

“How do you know that?”

“Your aunt called and said she hasn’t seen him for two days”

“Dad wouldn’t do that” commented Patrick

“What other explanation could there be?”

“Maybe he’s just gone away for a few days to be alone and think about his problems”

“Then he should have told his sister or the police. Anyway they know now, she’s called them”

“So now he’s a wanted man, on the run” asked Patrick

“No need to be so dramatic” said Dante “Next you’ll be expecting to see wanted posters of him around town”

“This is no laughing matter. He could be in serious trouble if that’s what he’s done”

“Well, nothing we can do about it” said their mother.

Later that night Maria confirmed she had reported her brother as a missing person.

***

On the following morning the police called Patricia “Mrs Ricardi a ranger found an abandoned car at Lovers’ Leap Lookout in the national park. The car is registered in the name of Anthony Ricardi, is that your husband?”

“Yes, but we’re separated at present do to legal reasons”

“Yes, I know that” said the constable “I just want to confirm the make, model and registration number are that of the car your husband has been driving recently”

After listening to the officer, Patricia replied “Yes, that sounds like his car. Have you found him?”

“No, but an alert has come up on my computer that he is on bail and also registered as a missing person. Are you aware of that?”

“Yes, but his sister is taking care of all that. I don’t really care where he is”

“Very well, thanks for your help Mrs Ricardi”

***

Over dinner, Patricia casually mentioned to her sons “Oh, I forgot to tell you, your father’s car has been found abandoned in the national park”

“Did they find Dad?”

“I guess not, they didn’t say so”

“Don’t you think it’s odd that if he went away he would leave his car in a national park?” asked Patrick.

“Who knows what he has done. Maybe he didn’t want to be tracked on those cameras they have monitoring traffic”

“I get that, but how did he get to other transport from the park. Wouldn’t it make more sense to leave his car in the street or a shopping centre, where he could get a bus or something?”

“Whereabouts in the park, did they say?”

“At Lovers’ Leap Lookout”

“I’ve never heard of it”

“Actually , it’s where I met your father”

“Really, does that name mean what it sounds like?” asked Dante.

“I don’t know, but now you mention it, does sound ominous”

While Dante and his mother were discussing the name of the lookout, Patrick was on his phone looking up the name.
“Hey, listen up you two. It says here that place is a well known suicide spot. There have been a number of deaths there and it got the name because the first reported, apparent suicide was back in 1895 when a young couple jumped to their death together, because their parents refused to let them marry and tried to break them up”

“Fuck, did that sort of stuff really happen Mum?”

“I guess it could, young lovers were not as free to do what they wanted in those days. Families were more strict and young people had to do as their parents wanted”

“Mum....?”

“What son?”

“I’ve just had an awful thought. What if Dad...you know...?” asked Patrick.

“Oh I don’t think so” replied Dante “Not Dad”

“You may be right” replied his mother “Your Dad does have a lot on his plate. This is a serious charge he’s on and maybe he couldn’t cope. I mean the thought of prison might have just tipped him over the edge”

“Mum please!”

“Just saying it could have happened, it would make sense as to why his car was there”

“Not that, I meant, ‘over the edge’ really?”

“Sorry, it’s just a figure of speech”

“Do you think we should tell the police what we think?” asked Dante

Patricia thought quietly for a moment, then said “Yes, of course we should. I’ll bet that’s what he did”

“You seem very sure” commented Patrick.

“Well you suggested it first”

“I know but...”

“But what?” she asked

“I didn’t really mean it” replied Patrick

***

Two days later, a police sergeant and a female constable knocked on the door of the Ricardi home. Patrick answered the door, asked why they were here and the sergeant asked “Is Mrs Patricia Ricardi here young man?”

“Yes, she’s my mum. What’s this about?”

“Will you ask her to come to the door please?”

“Sure”

Patrick went to his mother and said “Mum, there’s cops at the door asking for you”

“Shit...ah...I wonder what they want”

When she reached the door, the officer confirmed her identity, showed his official ID and then asked if they could come in”

“I suppose so, is someone in trouble? I’m not used to police coming to my door”

“I’ll explain if you let us in”

They all sat down and the sergeant asked “Is Mr Anthony Ricardi your husband Madam?”

“Yes, what has he done now?”

“It’s nothing like that”

“Well I don’t know anything about him at present, haven’t seen him for weeks”

“Yes we understand that, but it is my sad duty to inform you that a body, we believe to be that of your husband, has been found in Megalong Valley”

“Oh my god what happened?”

“I can’t tell you anymore information Mrs Ricardi, until we have made a positive identification. Would you be prepared to accompany us to the morgue for that purpose?”

“Oh of course, happy to do so”

“Happy?” the sergeant asked curiously.

“Um...what I mean is I’m only too willing to assist you with your inquiries”

“Very well, we’ll drive you over there and return you home afterwards. Can we go now?”

“Um...the boys...”

“Probably best they not come, do you want someone to stay here with them. I can call in a local uniform officer if you wish”

“That won’t be necessary, they can look after themselves”

The brothers had remained silent throughout the interview, but finally Dante asked “Are you sure it’s our dad, Sir?”

“We are reasonably sure young man. But we need an official identification from a close relative”

“If you’re too upset Mum, we can do it”

Before his mother could answer, the police officer said “We prefer an adult if possible, but thank s for your offer young man”

“Sure Sir”

***

When the police returned Patricia to her home, the brothers rushed to the door and Patrick asked “Mum...is it...”

“Yes boys, it looks like your father took his own life”

“Mum that’s terrible, are you ok?”

“I’ll be alright as long as I have you boys to support me. I love you both so much”

“And we love you. I know you and Dad have had a difficult time lately, but you must still miss him, now that we know what happened”

“Your Dad...oh of course I miss him. Don’t let this brave face mislead you. I’m trying to be strong for you boys”

“Would you like me to get you a drink Mum, something to settle you after the shock?”

“That would be lovely and under the circumstances, it’s ok if you both want a small glass also”

“Thanks Mum”

“After all, you are the men of the house now”

“And we will fulfil those roles to the best of our ability. Love you Mum”

“Me too” added Dante.

o0o

“Oh my god!” gasped Carol “No wonder you were hesitant about telling me. That’s truly awful to have your father go that way. How did you and your family get through all that stuff? I don’t think I could cope”

“It was hard, but we all stuck together until....”

“Until what, is there more?”

“Yes”

o0o

Mother and sons supported each other through the funeral and a coroner’s inquest to determine the cause of death, which was eventually confirmed as, Death by misadventure, possibly self-induced.

 

But a discussion between the brothers, late one night in their bedroom triggered events they could not have anticipated.

“You know I feel a bit guilty about the way things turned out for Mum and Dad” Dante said.

“Why what did you do?”

“Us, really”

“Me?”

“Yes, both of us because we didn’t tell Mum the truth about Dad”

“What do you mean, the truth?”

“Well, Mum, and the police for that matter, think Dad forced us into all this porno stuff, when really we started it and continued to do it willingly. Now Mum hates the memory of Dad and thinks we are her little angels”

“If you feel that way, why didn’t you say so at the time?”

“I thought it would all come out when Dad went on trial, and even though that would not excuse Dad, because we were still underage, at least Mum would know he was not the paedophile she thinks he is”

“Well it’s too late now”

“Too late for Dad, but not too late to clear the air with Mum and tell her he didn’t force us. Sure, what he was doing was technically wrong and he would probably still have gone to prison, but not for life”

“You may be right. I know Mum is still mourning, in her own way, but her hatred for Dad still seems to drive her”

“I thought the shrink was supposed to help her with that”

“I guess these things take time, but it might help her if we confessed and her memory of Dad might not be so contaminated”

“So you agree?”

“Yes, anything if it helps Mum recover”

“Ok, when do we do it?”

o0o

“And did you tell her?” asked Thomas

“Yes we did. On the next Saturday we organised a barbecue and Patrick and I did all the preparation and cooking. We even got Aunt Maria to buy some bottles of Mum’s favourite wine when the grog shop refused to serve us without ID”

“How did she take it?”

“Good at first”

*****

Next Chapter - It seemed like good fun at the time. Where’s the money. Home, sweet home.

Copyright © 2022 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 4
  • Wow 4
Please leave a comment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Who shot JR? No, it's not Dallas, it's Crystalline and methinks a murder has been committed. I now suspect Madre Ricardi murdered Padre Ricardi, but I am not sure how and when, although her apparent carelessness in driving her car into the back wall of the garage and demolishing it is rather “convenient”. I shall try to employ the "little grey cells" to determine when the opportunity arose to commit murder, but it may be easier to have my fellow CWB groupie @ReaderPaul consult his crystal ball for any clues. 

“You really are such caring sons. I’m going to need your support now your father’s gone” and Patricia was beginning to enjoy playing the role of the innocent, badly done by wife prompted me to speculate Patricia may have taken some decisive action to ensure her husband would never return. When his car was found abandoned, she seemed neither surprised nor upset. This confirmed my suspicion.

I also strongly suspect Patricia knew exactly what her husband and sons were up to. I don't know why I think this, but I have this sense she is not at all what she appears to be, and money was her motive.

Another intriguing chapter @Wombat Bill, much “heavier” and darker than recent chapters, with the only respite being the kiss shared by Dante and Ricky. I hope this is a part of Dante’s life we may learn a little more about (hint, hint). Speculating regarding the teaser for the next chapter is akin to picking the winning Lotto numbers, it could mean anything. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 3
Link to comment

@Summerabbacat, I believe you have it pretty much right on the proverbial money.  I hope they drug test the body, and find that he had been drugged with stuff not usually found in suicide bodies.  I suspect Patricia knows much more than she is admitting, and arranged much or all of the death of her husband.

I think she knew about the money in her husband's account.  She decided she wanted it, and possibly tipped of the police herself.

I think there are more things to be revealed.  We shall see.  @chris191070, any thoughts?  What have we missed so far?

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Love 3
Link to comment

There is so many questions in this chapter to be answered.

Was it suicide or murder? I think Ma may have murdered Pa.

Why was the car crashed into the garage? We don't know yet.

Did Ma know about the money, I think she did and wanted his illicit gains.

Edited by chris191070
  • Love 3
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

@Summerabbacat, I believe you have it pretty much right on the proverbial money.  I hope they drug test the body, and find that he had been drugged with stuff not usually found in suicide bodies.  I suspect Patricia knows much more than she is admitting, and arranged much or all of the death of her husband.

I think she knew about the money in her husband's account.  She decided she wanted it, and possibly tipped of the police herself.

I think there are more things to be revealed.  We shall see.  @chris191070, any thoughts?  What have we missed so far?

Brilliant minds think alike @ReaderPaul. I was in the process of editing my comments (as I nearly always do as more comes to mind after posting) to include my speculation that she may have anonymously tipped off the police. Another speculation I had is that the body may not be that of Padre Ricardi, but someone else and she and he plotted to murder a third person, before going AWOL with all the cash. This is likely a little too far-fetched, but one can never be sure. I too look forward to what @chris191070 has to offer.

Brilliant @Wombat Bill, almost Christie-esque dare I say. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment

Hi Guys, thank you all for your comments and reactions to the story so far, especially @Summerabbacat, @ReaderPaul and @chris191070. Makes me a happy old writer.

But I will leave you hanging off that cliff for a little while longer. I am going to suspend further publication of chapters until the formatting problem is fixed. It is just too difficult posting while this problem exists. 

Regards to all, @Wombat Bill

 

  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Wombat Bill said:

Hi Guys, thank you all for your comments and reactions to the story so far, especially @Summerabbacat, @ReaderPaul and @chris191070. Makes me a happy old writer.

But I will leave you hanging off that cliff for a little while longer. I am going to suspend further publication of chapters until the formatting problem is fixed. It is just too difficult posting while this problem exists. 

Regards to all, @Wombat Bill

 

Thanks for letting us know.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..