Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,562 Words
  • 104 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes

CRYSTALLINE - 27. The Cowboy Position

Axel arrived mid-morning to pick up Rosemary for the drive up the mountains.

“Come in and meet some of my colleagues” she said

“Love to” he replied

Rosemary had asked a few of them to be in the staff dining area for morning tea, so she could show off her admirer.

“Everyone, this is Axel, he’s in real estate”

Carol, Mia, Nyamba, and Lachlan introduced themselves, then Lachlan said “I’ll give Jonathan a call, I’m sure he’d love to meet a friend of Cook’s”

Cook poured tea or coffee for all and offered around her much loved scones, jam and cream. Then she nodded to Nyamba, who smiled back at Cook and said “Right away”

She went to the kitchen bench, retrieved a tray of biscuits and offered to Cook, who said “No, it’s all your work you do the honours” Again she flashed that broad glaringly white smile, then as she placed the tray on the table said “Please enjoy my first batch of lemon myrtle biscuits, made using Cook’s secret recipe”

By the time Jonathan arrived the conversation was rowdy, but happy.

“Ah, Mr P meet Axel” Then to Axel “Mr P, the owner of this estate” said Cook

“Pleased to meet you Sir” said Axel “I believe the P stands for Price”

“Yes, but please call me Jonathan”

“I noticed a lot of cars in the driveway, is there a function here today”

“They are our weekend guests, staying over at the other house, Arcobaleno Villa. They’ll all be setting off soon. Checkout time is noon and we don’t usually have guests on Sunday night. Gives everyone a common night off”

“Oh of course, Rosemary did mention you have opened the property as a B & B”

“Crystalline Resort we call it. We offer so much more than just Bed and Breakfast”

“Well, that’s unusual in an area so close to the city. Most resorts are in regional, beach or mountain areas”

“We aim to be unique and of course we target exclusively the gay market”

“So is it going well?”

“I am told so, but I leave the marketing and running of it to my two managers. Lachlan here is my partner and Thomas, who has been with the household for many years is also a manager”

“When you say partner....”

“My life partner...is that the term we use nowadays Lachlan?”

“Yes Jonathan”

“Then I wish you all well with the endeavour. I’d like to look over the property some day, if that’s acceptable?”

“Oh we have no intention of selling. This property has been in my family for three generations”

“I was not suggesting that, mind you if ever you do I’d like to be given first opportunity to list it. As well as brokering real estate I also keep my eye open for suitable properties for the movie industry. This area has some stately homes that are often sought by film makers”

“That’s very interesting, I often wondered how they found those homes you see in movies and TV. I thought they built mock ups”

“Sometimes, if nothing suitable is available they might, but the real thing is preferred and I could see this property being a suitable location for the early twentieth century. Is that the correct period of construction?”

“Yes, spot on. You know your properties”

“Thank you. Did you see the series, A Place to Call Home?”

Before Jonathan could reply, Rosemary said “Yes loved it”

“I was the one responsible for finding that picturesque location at Camden and assorted sites for Home and Away and some movies”

“So why are you interested in my place?” asked Jonathan

“It’s only a whisper at present, about a film set in the late twenties, so I’ll file away the idea. It is a unique property in that it was built in the early twentieth century, is a quality home and reasonably close to Sydney. If I get a definite request for such a location then I’ll know where it is”

“Mmm, a movie location, interesting thought” suggested Jonathan “But not sure if I want movie people wandering around my home and all that heavy equipment parked on my lawn”

Axel let the discussion drop and said “It’s been very pleasant to meet you all, but I must whisk this lovely lady away from you as we have a lunch booking at Echoes Restaurant”

“Ah, at Lilianfels resort, excellent choice” observed Jonathan. I’m sure you’ll love it Cook”

“Oh, you still call her Cook when Rosemary is such a beautiful name” replied Axel

“She has always been Cook to us and loved as much as her food”

“That’s right” added Carol

“It’s alright Axel, it’s meant with the utmost affection” said Rosemary

“I can see that without doubt”

Axel then held out his elbow and said “May I escort you Rosemary or Cook to your awaiting coach”

As they left, Jonathan said “He’s as smooth as one would expect for an estate agent but sounds like he really cares for...Rosemary. I’m prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt for now”

“Hi praise indeed” said Lachlan

Then Jonathan added “Disappointing Thomas wasn’t here to meet him, he can assess a person’s character faster than anyone else I know”

Eyebrows were raised but nothing was said, so Jonathan remarked “Ok people, let’s see the guests off the property then all enjoy your afternoon and night off”

***

Thomas was away all day visiting his mother and also took the opportunity to stay the night while things were quiet at Crystalline.

Being alone in the late afternoon, Dante sought out the company of his brother with the offer of a few cold ones in the garden.

“Sorry Bro, but I’m taking Carol to the Ettamogah Pub in Kellyville, I hear they’ve got great food”

“Ok, enjoy yourselves and have one for me”

A dejected Dante took his beers into the garden and set up under a shady tree. Just as he removed a twist top, Yashuki came by and asked “Have you got a spare one of those?”

“Sure, pull up a pew and suck on this” he replied as he passed a bottle to Yashuki.

“Why are you all alone today?”

“Thomas is visiting his Mum and Patrick and Carol have gone out for dinner”

“There’s no need to be alone any longer”

“Thanks and how are you settling in here? We haven’t had a chance to catch up recently”

“I’ve been avoiding you actually. I know you weren’t happy about me asking for work here”

“Asking isn’t really the right word. Blackmail is better described as demanding”

“That’s a bit strong, but I really did need permanent work”

“Anyway, you’re here now and I’ll forget about the threat. It’s all worked out well”

<>

One beer led to another and another till it was dark and hunger set in. It had become the norm on Sunday nights for live-in staff to make their own arrangements for dinner as everyone had the night off.

Dante ordered a pizza delivery and they continued to drink and talk in the garden till late. Eventually Yashuki said “I think it’s time for bed” to which Dante replied “I’d prefer here on the grass”

“To sleep?”

“If that’s what you want to call it”

“What would you call it?” asked Yashuki

“Fucking under the stars”

“Like that time we rode to Brodrick Boulevard?”

“Yeah, not so nearly as public here, but outdoors, just the same”

<>

It was nearly midnight when Patrick parked his bike in the garage and whispered to Carol, as she was dismounting the bike “Better be quiet, they’re probably already asleep up there in the flat”

“No problem, I’ll be the proverbial mouse”

“Ok, you go and warm our bed while I chuck a couple of chlorine tablets in the pool. Save me getting up early to do it in the morning and they last longer when the sun’s not breaking them down”

“I’ll await your arrival, my love” Carol concluded.

Patrick attended to his pool duties, locked the store and as he walked away, noticed two figures who seemed to be staggering around on the lawn. He stepped back behind the store and peered around the edge to see Dante pulling on his jeans, and assumed the person balancing on one leg while putting the other through the leg of his pants, was Thomas. Then he remembered Thomas telling him he was staying at his mother’s place. Intrigue turned to anger when the second figure turned into the moonlight and he saw it was Yashuki.

At first he thought of confronting them, but paused to think it through. If he sprung them, they would just deny anything happened. If he told Thomas then it would damage their relationship. He loved his brother and thought highly of Thomas, so that was the last thing he wanted to do.

He blamed Yashuki for all of this and decided to deal with him alone, so he waited until they parted company, knowing their respective quarters were in opposite directions.

As Dante walked past the pool Patrick hid behind the store until Dante was well past, then took off to catch Yashuki.

By the time Dante was out of sight, so was Yashuki, so Patrick headed straight for the staff accommodation block. ‘Bugger!’ he thought ‘I don’t know which is his room’

He went around the back of the block and looked for a window with a light on, assuming that everyone else would be asleep by now. However they were all in darkness and he wondered why Yashuki had not turned on his light. Then it hit him ‘Probably too drunk and just fell onto his bed’.

Patrick then started peering through windows to see if he could identify any of the residents. The first room had two occupants under the covers, in single beds, so he knew that wasn’t Yashuki’s. Then another room had only one occupant who seemed to have long hair, so he assumed it was one of the girls. Then as he peered into the third room he heard a scream from within and decided to scamper off. Just as he did a boot broke through the window, splattering glass in the garden.

***

Early the next morning, Patrick rolled over and put his arm around Carol, who was awakened by his actions. When she opened one eye and noticed the daylight, she sat up suddenly and said “Bugger, I’m supposed to do breakfast this morning before room duty”

“Why are you doing breakfast?” asked a sleepy Patrick

“I forgot to tell you, Cook left a message on my voicemail saying she and Axel were staying overnight at Lilianfels and asked me to cover for breakfast”

“Ooo that’s naughty” replied Patrick.

“Yeah it’s a bit much expecting me to do breakfast”

“I meant about staying overnight. Her and Axel taking a room” then Patrick laughed

“Please, I don’t even want to think about it”

“You think people their age are past it?”

“Maybe they should be, but then again....”

“What?” asked Patrick.

“Oh nothing really. Get up and help me do breakfast”

***

In the kitchen, Patrick asked “What are we going to cook?”

“I’ll just make it simple. You put out a few boxes of cereal and milk, then open some canned fruit, and put on some toast after you set the table”

“And what will you be doing?” asked Patrick

“I’ll just cook up a pan of bacon and fry a dozen eggs. That should do ‘em”

“Sounds pretty good to me”

“Oh bugger, what about Mr P and Lachlan?”

“I can take a tray in for them, but they’d probably prefer to join us and talk about Cook and Axel”

“Thanks... oh yeah Mr P did seem to like Axel and I know he is interested in Cook’s welfare”

“I’ll call Lachlan and see what they want to do” suggested Patrick

Carol determined Patrick’s conversation with Lachlan seemed to go on longer than was necessary just to make breakfast arrangements, so she called to Patrick “This table’s not going to set itself and I don’t see the cereal boxes marching to the table”

“OK!... gotta go Lachlan, see you at breakfast”

***

At breakfast, the Peeping Tom was reported to Lachlan, a glazier was called in to fix the window and an order issued by Jonathan for the main gates to be locked from ten pm each night.

Patrick was assigned lock up duty.

***

The next few months saw bookings increase. Weekends were mostly fully booked but weekdays were still slow.

Thomas and Lachlan regularly met on Monday mornings to discuss how things went on the weekend and plans for the coming week.

“That’s a weekend I won’t forget in a hurry” commented Lachlan

“You mean the Calamity Janes group?” asked Thomas

“Yes, who would have thought there were still Doris Day fans around? I had to do a search to see who Calamity Jane was, but having sat through half the movie, I think she’d be more likely a lesbian icon rather than for gay men”

“You lasted for half the movie, you’re a glutton for punishment. Luckily I was rescued by a call from Cook about the supper arrangements” commented Thomas

“Yeah singing cowboys and a cowgirl wearing lipstick doesn’t float my boat”

“But Jonathan was certainly pleased with the use his cowboy clubhouse was put to”

“Yeah, the only time I saw him all weekend, was when he came to bed late. I didn’t ask him what he’d been doing for fear he would tell me”

“They might call themselves Janes, but I’ve never seen so many dicks hanging out since...well never really” admitted Thomas “I didn’t even know there was a cowboy position. It gives a whole new meaning to ride ‘em cowboy”

“It did seem to be their catchphrase all weekend, but what I want to know is why nearly all their fucking was done in hat and spurs”

“The cowboy thing... and wearing chaps with no pants is a rather hot look”

“Yeah, Jonathan noticed that and is looking for some online. When he typed chaps into ebay, mostly it was Ralph Lauren stuff. It seems to be a product line name that has nothing to do with cowboys’ apparel. That disappointed him. God knows what he’s ordered”

“You know I even saw a couple doing it on the saddle bar stools. Just glad you talked Jonathan out of the bucking bull or we might have had some injury claims I couldn’t describe on an insurance form”

“What’s lined up for us this week?” asked Lachlan

“That’s what I want to talk about, the mid-week. We need to build up the weekday business. I was thinking of offering a discount rate for weekdays. Maybe a four day package Monday to Thursday nights. Pay for three stay the fourth for free”

“Sounds good, we’re paying most of the staff anyway, now that so many are full-time. That must be a strain on the budget”

“That is the reason for my suggestion”

“Then let’s do it. Do we need to ask Jonathan?”

“When did Jonathan become interested in the rates we charge?” asked Thomas

“You’re right as long as there are bums on seats, he’s happy”

“Preferably bare bums”

*****

Next Chapter - SODA POP
Copyright © 2022 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 4
Please leave a comment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dante is still being careless. At least is was Patrick who saw and nobody else, but it does not seem like he has approached Yashuki after his night as a peeping Tom….

  • Like 3
Link to comment

After reading your comment @VBlew, I had to read the “peeping Tom” episode again, and in doing so, realised I had completely misread the episode on the first occasion. Upon reading it for the second time I realised the boot was thrown through the window from within by the person in the room who screamed upon noticing Patrick peering through his or her window.

For the first time in memory Thomas disappointed me. His slight of the movie Calamity Jane “You lasted for half the movie, you’re a glutton for punishment. Luckily I was rescued by a call from Cook about the supper arrangements” did not sit well with me as I am a big fan of Doris Day, the actress, the singer and most impressively, the animal rights activist. I am prepared to forgive him this once due to his relative youthfulness, however, he is on probation. 

Clueless Carol at least made me laugh in this chapter “Ooo that’s naughty” replied Patrick.“Yeah it’s a bit much expecting me to do breakfast”“I meant about staying overnight. Her and Axel taking a room” then Patrick laughed.

My dislike of Yashuki grows with each chapter, although I cannot in all honesty hold him responsible for Dante’s continued indiscretions. I would like to offer a storyline suggestion, if I may, @Wombat Bill. A group of Agatha Christie enthusiasts, known as the Roger Ackroyd’s, books Arcobaleno for a “murder party”. What they do not realise is that amongst their group is a member who will commit a real murder, and the victim is Yashuki. The murderer is a disgruntled former lover of Yashuki’s, whom Yashuki did not know was a member of an outlawed motorcycle gang (not just a motorcycle enthusiast) and a member of a very well-known Sydney crime family. The cause of death is either being repeatedly run over by a large ride on lawn-mower or stabbed repeatedly with Musashi knives (Cook only works with the very best of knives). This would certainly prove his boast regarding "entertaining men in other ways", although for him it would be the last time. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Wow 2
Link to comment

Dante is asking for trouble, but he likes risky sex. At least it was Patrick who caught him.

At least Jonathan's barn is getting plenty of use.

Edited by chris191070
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

@VBlew and @Summerabbacat, interesting views on this chapter.

I know there are gay cosplayers and science fiction/fantasy aficionados around.  How about a group of cosplayers renting the resort for a weekend, and a group of science fiction persons, and a fantasy group or two?  And for a change of pace, @Wombat Bill, a group of gay literature enthusiasts?

I like @Summerabbacat's idea of a murder weekend.  To make it easier on the resort, Yashuki's murder could take place a bit outside of Crystalline.  Perhaps he is on an errand outside the resort when murdered.

I look forward to seeing how the idea Thomas has had works.  I would think, for cleaning and setup purposes, having events start at, say, Monday at 3 in the afternoon, and ending Thursday evening, would give the staff a better chance to get things in best shape for the next set of guests.

I look forward to any insights @chris191070 or any others might have.  Continues to be a great story, @Wombat Bill.

Edit:  I see @chris191070 replied while I was getting my thoughts completed.  I was interrupted part way through writing this comment.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 2
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, ReaderPaul said:

I like @Summerabbacat's idea of a murder weekend.  To make it easier on the resort, Yashuki's murder could take place a bit outside of Crystalline.  Perhaps he is on an errand outside the resort when murdered.

You make a good point @ReaderPaul. I would not like the resort to suffer from the bad publicity of having Yashuki murdered onsite. Alternative storyline - Yashuki is reacquainted with his former lover who attends the "murder party" weekend and invites Yashuki to meet up again for old-times sake. Yashuki remembers the generosity of his former lover (not realising how the family makes their money), so he readily agrees to a secret rendezvous at his palatial harbour-side mansion, intent on being handsomely rewarded again, as he was in the past. What he does not know is that his former lover is very ill and blames Yashuki for his illness and believes he has nothing to lose if he murders Yashuki. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/17/2022 at 9:19 AM, Summerabbacat said:

You make a good point @ReaderPaul. I would not like the resort to suffer from the bad publicity of having Yashuki murdered onsite. Alternative storyline - Yashuki is reacquainted with his former lover who attends the "murder party" weekend and invites Yashuki to meet up again for old-times sake. Yashuki remembers the generosity of his former lover (not realising how the family makes their money), so he readily agrees to a secret rendezvous at his palatial harbour-side mansion, intent on being handsomely rewarded again, as he was in the past. What he does not know is that his former lover is very ill and blames Yashuki for his illness and believes he has nothing to lose if he murders Yashuki. 

Ooh the plot thickens 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..