Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,725 Words
  • 84 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes

CRYSTALLINE - 34. Connor

The following morning, Thomas’ phone rang while he was showering. Yashuki checked the phone and called to Thomas “There’s a Chelsea Smidmore calling you”

“Just let it ring out, I’ll call her back later”

<>

“Returning your call Chelsea, sorry I missed it”

“I’ve got some good news for you”

“I could badly use some, are they releasing Dante?”

“No, but I have arranged a visit for you and if that goes well, I should be able to swing weekly visits now he’s been transferred to the remand section of the prison”

“Thank you so much, but weekly visits implies he’s going to be there for some time”

“That’s what remand means. He has to be kept in detention until his trial but that section of the prison operates like regular prison and weekly visits are allowed. Of course if there are any legal developments I can visit him, as required, for professional consultations”

“So when can I see him?”

“Saturday is regular visiting day. Meet me at the prison at ten am, I’ll make the arrangements”

“Can I bring Yashuki as well?”

“Is that wise under the circumstances? I’m surprised you and he are even on speaking terms given the background leading up to Patrick’s death”

Thomas paused, then said “Perhaps you’re right. It’ll be just you and me. See you on Saturday...and thanks again”

“My pleasure and my job”

***

Later that day, Fraser called Lachlan to arrange a visit for he and Connor, regarding the resort’s website and other social media.

Carol was back on duty and answered the door for the police. “Come in officers, they’re waiting for you in Mr P’s office. But before that can you tell me if you are any closer to finding out how Patrick died and who might be responsible”

“You are the deceased’s girlfriend, is that correct?”

“Yes, can you tell me anything?”

“Firstly, I’m sorry for your loss”

“Thank you”

“Then, other than the cause of death was drowning and as you know we are holding his brother as a suspect, there’s nothing more I can tell you at present”

“That’s disappointing... come with me will you?”

The two officers met with Lachlan, Thomas and Jonathan. Connor explained the procedure to solicit images from guests present on the night and Fraser explained how it might help the investigation.

“It seems a bit strange to ask guests to post photos of a horrendous event” suggested Jonathan “Plus we have our public image to protect”

“I appreciate that Mr Price, so Connor here will help with the wording of your posts to request images”

“Sir, if I may” asked Connor

Fraser nodded agreement, then Connor suggested “Taking into account the nature of the incident and the need to protect the business’ reputation, would it be more appropriate for the management here...” he nodded at Lachlan, then continued “...to send direct email or text requests to the guests for them to send images privately rather than post on the sites”

“Sounds a better approach” suggested Jonathan “What say you?” he asked Lachlan

“I agree and people might be more willing to send photos if not involved in having them posted publicly”

“Should I say they are for the investigation?” asked Lachlan

Fraser spoke quietly to Connor, then said “Yes, I think that’s best. They probably don’t have party pics as such, so they would probably twig to your motive anyway. This way they can feel they are helping”

Then addressing his instruction to Connor “That person of interest you found, should not be included in the request or any person that the booking shows is a contact of his”

“Got it Boss”

Lachlan looked confused, so Connor said “I’ll explain as we go along”

“I trust we can rely on your discretion” Fraser said to Lachlan.

“Yes, of course”

“Good, that’s settled then gentlemen” said Jonathan, anxious to get rid of the police. “One more thing officer, can we get rid of that unsightly police tape around the pool. It’s certainly not good for business and we need to re-open the pool for guests”

“If you must, if forensics have been thorough, we should not need to gather any more evidence there”

“I’ll take that as a yes” stated Jonathan “Is there anything else?”

“No not at present, thank you for your help. Connor can stay behind and help, I’ve got to get back to headquarters”

“How will I get back Sir?”

“You’ve got legs, an Opal pass and a phone to call a cab. What more do you need?”

“Um...yes Sir”

“Good man. Now get on with your work here, I might need you back at the office before the day is done”

<>

When Fraser left, Jonathan left the meeting and Lachlan asked Connor “Is he always like that?”

“I suppose so, I’ve only worked for him for a few days this time. I was in the same department last year but didn’t work directly for Fraser. He just dragged me out of PR with little explanation and when my supervisor complained, Fraser told her to take it up with the Chief Commissioner”

“He must really value your talents”

“Hopefully, but it’s hard to tell with him”

“I’ll leave you two to get on with your work then after that, why don’t you give Connor a tour of the resort” suggested Thomas “I’m sure he’d like that and his boss isn’t here to watch over him”

Connor laughed and replied “That sounds fabulous”

<>

Lachlan and Connor set the search for images in process and went on the tour.

“Do you feel confident we’ll get some photos that will help?” asked Lachlan

“I shouldn’t reveal police business to you, so discretion would be appreciated”

“Of course, anything that helps clear up this terrible mess”

“As well as the request we just put out from your side, that should yield images from those who want to cooperate, I have also established a social media account to elicit images particularly related to the darker side of the police investigation. We’re hoping that those who want to show off their images to a ghoulishly appreciative audience might come forward. Of course they won’t know it’s a police account”

“That’s clever, no wonder your new boss practically kidnapped you for his investigation team” He then asked “You said you were working in PR, is that what I think it is or some secret police squad?”

“It’s public relations”

“Seems a long way from investigating a possible crime”

“Ah, the connection is my expertise with social media. I’m not really a police investigator but the skills crossover. Fraser might sound like an old style cop, and he is in some ways, but he’s really up with the latest, just doesn’t like you to know”

<>

During the tour, Lachlan suggested “I know you probably can’t say so, but I’ll ask anyway. Do you think Dante is guilty?”

“You’re right I can’t say so, but because I just don’t know. Fraser keeps his cards close to his chest, but if I was forced to give an opinion, I would say bringing me in shows he’s not convinced he’s yet got the right man...or woman, but you didn’t hear that from me”

“Gotcha”

“But I could be wrong”

“Thanks anyway. Now I’ve saved this part of the tour for last. It’s my partner’s pride and joy of the facilities. It was his idea and partly designed by him”

“Sounds exciting”

“Jonathan thinks so anyway, it’s just in here”

“Looks like stables, is your partner into horse riding?”

“Definitely not, but he does have some saddles and whips and such paraphernalia, as well as many other leather items. There has been some riding happening here, but not the equine type, unless you count the cowboy position”

“Ah...I think I’m beginning to catch on” declared Connor.

“As you can see, Jonathan has converted the horse stalls to, what I thought were going to be private cubicles. But I arrived here one day to see some workers installing these full length one-way mirrors. I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusion as to what they are for”

“I’m familiar with this type of window”

“Really?” asked a surprised Lachlan, then Connor laughed loudly before saying “No, not for that purpose. We have these in the interrogation rooms at headquarters, so interviews can be watched”

“Yes, of course, I’ve seen them in the movies. So they are really used by police?”

“Some facilities still have them, though they are being replaced by CCTV now”

Just then Blake Hodge, the interior decorator walked in and said “They told me I could find you here”

“Hi Blake, how can I help?” asked Lachlan

But Blake did not answer.

After waiting a few moments, Lachlan repeated “How can I help, Blake”

Finally the distracted Blake answered “Help...yes...Maybe you could introduce me to your friend”

“By all means, but is that why you came looking for me?”

“No, it’s about the curtains in the....” Then he turned his attention back to Connor and said “I’m Blake, and you are...”

“Sorry guys” said Lachlan “Blake Hodge, our decorator and Connor O’Connor, from the police department”

“Have you come to arrest anyone” Blake asked “I’m available, where are your hand cuffs?” he continued as he put out his hands.

“Blake, snap out of it, Connor really is with the police”

“And who said he wasn’t” countered Blake

“I thought you were getting into character for our fantasy room here”

“No, just want to meet this very hot young man”

“Well now you’ve met, how can I help you?” asked Lachlan

“You’ve already been very helpful, thanks Lachlan” Then putting his arm over Connor’s shoulder and gently directing him away from Lachlan, said “Now tell me about your police work”

As they walked away, Lachlan called out “What about the curtains?”

“Oh yes, the curtains...Can you just wait a moment Connor, while I attend to work matters”

“I suppose so” replied a somewhat confused, but flattered Connor “But I really do need to get back to work”

“I won’t be long, don’t run off now, or I’ll have to report you as a missing person” added Blake with a giggle. Then turning to Lachlan, said “The office gave me a message about a problem with the curtains in Arcobaleno dining room, but don’t worry now, I’ll look into it later, bye”

***

Over the next few days Lachlan received some photos from guests and Connor continued to monitor Krimes I Know, as well as accounts of some of the staff and guests. Apart from the official Crystalline site, no staff accounts had any postings at all. He presumed this was as a result of the crime and respect for the deceased. It was partly that and partly because of Lachlan’s request to do so.

***

Thomas was up early on Saturday, to get a few things done before his departure for the prison.

He passed through the kitchen to pick up a croissant and coffee on his way to his office, something that was a regular occurrence some years earlier. He leaned back in his chair as he sipped his coffee and reflected on those days. The days when he did not have a partner to breakfast with and now those days had returned, although only temporarily he hoped.

“Fuck!” he said loudly when he realised Patrick’s death and Dante’s detention had not been reported to their mother. He didn’t even know where she was, so he planned to raise the matter with Dante and see how he wanted it handled.

He was just about to leave when Lachlan came in. “I wanted to wish you well for today’s visit and ask you to tell Dante we are thinking of him and looking forward to his return”

“Thanks, I’m sure he’ll appreciate it” Thomas replied, then Lachlan gave him a hug and added “Give Dante one from Jonathan and I also”

“If they let me touch him; not sure about the prison protocol. Oh, and I’ve just remembered we haven’t told his mother about all of this, I’ll have to get his permission and find out where she is”

“What about their grandmother in Italy, she’ll need to know about Patrick’s death, but maybe not about Dante until...”

“I know what you mean” replied Thomas. “The death of a grandson will be devastating enough, having previously lost her son and more recently her husband. No need to worry her unnecessarily about Dante” Thomas was silent for a few moments, then said “Oh Lachlan, I don’t want him to go to prison, even though I now know how all this mess started”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ve got to go now, thank Jonathan for his wishes”

“But....” Lachlan didn’t finish his sentence, but just stood there open mouthed, staring at a closing door.

***

Chelsea was in the prison carpark when Thomas arrived and flashed her lights when she saw his car. Thomas went over and she waved him to join her in the car.

“I just wanted to have a quick chat before we go in”

“To tell me about the prison protocol?”

“That too, but mainly about what you talk about to Dante. It would be best that you not discuss anything about the case, in regards to what happened and Dante’s involvement or not. The walls have ears in prisons and I don’t want anyone hearing something they could use against us in the case”

“But I need to talk to Dante about his brother’s death and his family, they don’t know yet”

“That sort of thing is ok, just nothing about the incident, anything leading up to it or even Dante’s views and what he thinks happened. I’ll have those discussions with him in private”

“Got it, now will I be able to touch him?”

“A brief embrace is acceptable, but no holding hands after that and certainly no passing anything to him. We will be watched all the time by guards”

“Ok, let’s do this”

<>

Thomas and Chelsea went through all the ID checking, registration and scanning, before being led to a room with about twelve tables and seats, all screwed to the floor.

After a brief hug and a whisper of “I love you” in Dante’s ear, they all sat. The guard then stepped back and focussed his attention on the greetings of the next set of visitors.

Chelsea listened all the time to the boys’ conversation, ready to step in if she considered they stepped outside the boundary she had set. Other than that and enquiring of Dante’s welfare she did not engage in conversation.

Dante was conflicted by the decision he was being asked to make regarding informing his mother of Patrick’s death. “I really don’t know what to do. I know she should be advised but don’t know how she’ll take it or if she even wants to know”

“Maybe I should ask her doctors” suggested Thomas

“That might be best”

“Then you’ll have to tell me where she is and her doctor’s name”

“Sure”

Chelsea opened a note book and jotted down the information from Dante.

“And what about your Grandmother?’ asked Thomas

“Fuck, this is going to hit her hard. Patrick was the last one of us she saw and I know she loves us both so much and focuses all her attention on us, especially since Dad passed”

“She’ll have to be told, we can’t keep it from her”

“I know, but I can’t do it and she’ll think it strange if it’s not me to tell her”

“Is there another relative in her village that I could talk to first” asked Thomas

“Not that I know”

Thomas then looked at Chelsea and asked “Have you got any suggestions?”

“Through legal contacts I can certainly have someone deliver a message personally and sensitively, if that’s what you want”

“Maybe we should think about that for a while” suggested Thomas.

The rest of the visit was taken up by passing on good wishes from friends and staff at Crystalline and some news about how the resort was going. When Thomas said “We had a visit from the police about...” Chelsea put her hand on Thomas’ and shook her head.

“Sorry”

*****

Next Chapter - Another arrest. Virginia to the rescue. Movie time.
Copyright © 2022 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Please leave a comment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow!  So much in this chapter I hardly know where to begin.

And the teaser for the next chapter -- Virginia to the rescue?  I can see her trying to rescue Carol, or Thomas, or maybe Cook, or even Jonathan, but not sure who else (Desmond, of course, but I really don't think he could possibly be involved with this).

It is quite possible that @VBlew or @chris191070 or @Summerabbacat may see this much more clearly than I do.  @Wombat Bill, I look forward to the next several chapters.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 9/27/2022 at 4:52 PM, ReaderPaul said:

Wow!  So much in this chapter I hardly know where to begin.

And the teaser for the next chapter -- Virginia to the rescue?  I can see her trying to rescue Carol, or Thomas, or maybe Cook, or even Jonathan, but not sure who else (Desmond, of course, but I really don't think he could possibly be involved with this).

It is quite possible that @VBlew or @chris191070 or @Summerabbacat may see this much more clearly than I do.  @Wombat Bill, I look forward to the next several chapters.

It is as "clear as mud" to me @ReaderPaul. My immediate thought regarding the teaser - Virginia to the rescue, is that Thomas is arrested on suspicion of murder too. If so, it would not surprise if Yashuki somehow implicates Thomas as I find it impossible to believe Yashuki's concern for Thomas' welfare is motivated by genuine friendship. And thank you @Wombat Bill for knowing the correct spelling for Thomas' and not writing Thomas's. One of my pet hates is the double s with an apostrophe in the middle.

“Sorry guys” said Lachlan “Blake Hodge, our decorator and Connor O’Connor, from the police department” “Have you come to arrest anyone” Blake asked “I’m available, where are your hand cuffs?” he continued as he put out his hands.

Is it possible Blake is somehow related to Brett? Are they twins separated at birth? Boorish braggarts both. They are not amusing or clever, just sleazy.

"No need to worry her unnecessarily about Dante” Thomas was silent for a few moments, then said “Oh Lachlan, I don’t want him to go to prison, even though I now know how all this mess started”. Is this statement from Thomas merely reference to the tension between Patrick and Dante due to the latter's dalliances with Yashuki, or has Thomas had a sudden epiphany? I would be interested to know if my fellow CWB groupies @ReaderPaul, @chris191070 or @VBlew  have any thoughts on this.

 

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..