Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,885 Words
  • 94 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes

CRYSTALLINE - 29. An Arrest is Made

Lachlan jumped into the pool and turned over the body to check if he was still alive. “Oh my god” he exclaimed, then checked for a pulse. Finding none, he yelled at Jeremy “Go find someone who knows CPR”

“Who’s your pool lifeguard?”

“He’s not available, please go and get help”

While Jeremy was away, Lachlan pulled the body to the edge of the pool, all the while keeping the head above water.

Jeremy returned and said “Nobody knows CPR, but I’ve called the ambulance”

An overly excited Brett returned to the pool area with the rest of the guests following him like the children of Hamelin. Jeremy put up a stop hand and said “Don’t come any closer please, there seems to have been a terrible accident”

“Oh I get it” replied Brett, then turned to his followers and said “We must preserve the crime scene, but you all know that don’t you?”

“But aren’t we supposed to investigate?” asked one.

Jeremy then took Brett aside and said “This is not part of the game, that is a real body in the pool”

To which Brett yelled “Oh yuk, I actually touched a dead body”

“With a ten foot pole” replied Jeremy

“Oh yeah, of course” Then suddenly reality hit Brett and he asked “What do you mean a real dead body, who?”

“I don’t know, but that’s not your immediate concern. Can you take all these people away?”

“Yeah, I suppose so. Are you sure he’s dead?”

“Stop asking stupid questions and get these people out of here”

For a moment Brett had a lucid and helpful thought, then said to the guests, with a wink “We need to go back to the dining room and wait for the police to begin our investigation”

Again, his party followed him and all waited in the dining room. Most of them chatted animatedly, suggesting causes of death, motives and possible murderer. The odd one out this time was Brett who sat silently and unnoticed in the corner, nervously tapping his fingers and his foot.

<>

Jeremy helped Lachlan remove the body from the pool then he also checked for a pulse or any sign of breathing, but shook his head to indicate, no and asked “Is he one of the waiters?”

“No, he’s our pool attendant, Patrick. I’m going to have to tell his brother” Lachlan replied as he reached into his pocket for his phone.

“Do you want my phone?” asked Jeremy “Yours looks a bit wet”

“I can’t remember his number, I’ll call Jonathan, at least I know that number”

While Lachlan was talking to his partner, he heard a siren approaching and said “Just get here now, I think the ambulance has arrived”

While the paramedics were attending, the game organiser arrived, before the police, and was spotted placing a dressed dummy, with blood stains on the shirt, under a tree in the garden.

“What’s he doing?” asked the paramedic “Is this some sort of sick joke”

“I’m sorry” replied Lachlan “We were supposed to be having a murder mys....oh never mind it’s complicated” then he turned to Jeremy and asked “Can you please deal with that?”

“Sure”

Jonathan arrived next, closely followed by Thomas and Dante who rushed to his brother, put his hands on his shoulders and shook gently. He then looked at the paramedic, who just shook his head in the negative.

“What the fuck happened here?” Dante waled “Patrick don’t go, don’t leave me, I didn’t mean it. Come on Bro, don’t do this”

“The paramedic touched Dante on the shoulder and said “There’s nothing we could do, he was gone before we arrived”

“NO!” Dante screamed so loudly it was heard in the dining room and the chatter suddenly stopped.

Thomas put his arm around Dante but did not attempt to pull him away from Patrick’s body and when the paramedic indicated he should do so, Thomas determinedly waved him away.

“What was that?” asked one of the guests.

“I’ll go and check. You all wait here for further instructions” replied Brett as a way of keeping them away from the accident scene and causing further panic.

By the time Brett reached the pool area, the police had arrived and were asking preliminary questions of those by the pool.

The lead detective, Jack Fraser, asked his uniformed assistant to detain anybody on the property and Thomas explained to Fraser the situation regarding guests and other staff. They then both went off to inform the guests.

Finally someone remembered Carol had not been informed of Patrick’s death, so Jonathan volunteered to tell her and Cook together so Cook could provide comfort to Carol.

***

Jonathan first went to Cook, who had just finished cleaning her kitchen and was sat alone having a reviving cup of tea.

“Good evening Mr P, would you like a cuppa, I’m just having one myself, there’s plenty in the pot”

“As much as I would like to join you, there has been a serious accident on the property and I need your help”

“How terrible, but what can I do? Is it one of the guests?”

Cook stood in readiness to go and assist.

“No remain seated” directed Jonathan “You may be shocked by what I am about to tell you”

“Is the news that bad? Please go ahead”

“Cook...Patrick has been found... dead in the pool”

“But how can that be, he’s the lifeguard, the best swimmer on the property”

“It’s not a simple case of drowning, at least I think that’s the case”

“Oh my god, does Carol know?”

“No, that’s why I need your help”

“Of course, shall we tell her together?”

“Yes, I thought it might come a bit better from you. No, that’s absolutely a silly thing to say”

“I know what you mean Mr P. How about you tell her and I will comfort her”

“My very thoughts Cook”

“I think she’s in her room either reading or watching telly. Said she didn’t want to be involved in, what she called, that stupid murder game. Said murder is not a game and as Patrick was working she might as well have an early night”

 

Cook had to knock on Carol’s door a few times to rouse her, as she had fallen asleep, book in hand.

“Oh, it’s you Cook”

“Can I come in?”

“Come in for a chat if you want, but I’m not interested in the other”

“Yes, that’s all right. Is it ok if Mr P comes in also?”

“I suppose so, but seems a bit odd...oh hello Mr P” she said in surprise, as he stepped from behind Cook.

“Hello Carol, I know this might seem irregular to approach you in your bedroom but we will explain”

“Ok, come in. Am I in trouble, what did I do?”

“No, it’s nothing like that, but will you please be seated”

“Sounds like bad news” Carol suggested

“It is my girl” replied Cook

As Carol sat on her bed, Cook sat beside her and put an arm around her. Jonathan then kneeled before her and took one hand.

“Are you going to propose Mr P? If you are I must tell you I’m already taken”

“No Carol, I just want to be eye level with you when I tell you the news. It’s about Patrick”

“Yes?” she replied questioningly.

“There’s been some sort of accident in the pool”

“What’s the silly bugger done now...wait is this serious?”

“Yes Carol, it is serious, I’m afraid Patrick has been...found in the pool...not breathing”

“No, it can’t be... he’s the lifeguard... he can’t drown... there must be some mistake”

“There’s no mistake Carol, the paramedics were called but they could not revive him...I’m so sorry”

Carol let out an ear-piercing scream and fell into Cook’s arms. Through her sobbing, she kept saying “No, no, no, I don’t want to believe it. Oh Cook what am I going to do without him? No, no, no”

Cook continued to hold Carol while Jonathan asked “Is there something I can get her”

“Maybe have a brandy on hand”

“Right away, my best” he replied and left on his mission.

***

Every guest was questioned separately and when they completed their statements were asked to go to their rooms for the rest of the night and not leave the property. The staff were also questioned and statements taken but were asked to remain in the dining room until further notice.

When a uniformed office brought one of the guest’s statements to the attention of Detective Fraser, the guests was taken aside for further questioning.

“Tell me exactly what you saw, when and who was involved?” Fraser asked Brett

“It was just towards the end of dinner”

“What time was that?”

“Just before eight, we were told the game would commence at eight, that’s why we had early dinner”

“Go on”

“I was keen to get on with the game, so while the others were having drinks I was looking out the window and saw two waiters fighting near the pool”

“Did you see one of them go into the pool”

“No, I can’t stand that sort of brutish behaviour so I stopped watching and told Jez about it”

“Did this Jez see what happened?”

“I don’t think so, by the time he looked out the window they were gone”

“Can you identify these two waiters?”

“One was of Asian appearance and pretty good looking, the other one was a total spunk”

“Could you be a bit more specific?”

“They were both hotties”

“Come into the other room and identify them from the assembled staff”

 

Brett easily identified Yashuki and then said he couldn’t see the other one.

Fraser asked his constable “Are you sure all the staff are in this room?”

“Except for the owner who went to tell the deceased’s girlfriend, and the cook”

“I assume it’s not any of them” Then looking back at Brett, asked “Could it be the deceased?”

“I don’t know, I didn’t see the body face up...and before you ask, no I won’t look at the dead body”

“The body has already been removed, so that won’t be necessary” Then looking at the staff members, he asked “Does anyone have a recent photograph of the deceased”

Dante and Thomas swiped through their phones till Thomas said “I have one” he showed Brett who identified him as the other party in the fight he had witnessed.

“Officer, please detain that young man” Fraser requested as he pointed to Yashuki.

“What am I being accused of?” asked Yashuki

“Nothing at present, but I would like you to answer some more questions in private please”

Fraser then asked “Who is in charge here?”

“Jonathan owns the property, but he’s gone to the residence, can I help?” asked Lachlan

“Do you have CCTV on the property?”

“Very limited as we owe our guests their privacy, but Patrick had one camera installed to cover the pool, as a safety measure”

“Can you organise for us to see that now”

“I’ll try, but I’m not really familiar with the equipment”

“While that is being organised, would you come with me” Fraser asked of Yashuki.

 

“Your name young man?”

“Yashuki Tanaka Sir”

“And your position here is a waiter?”

“Mostly, I also do a bit of magic to entertain the guests”

“Then you might need that to get out of this situation” suggested the uniformed officer.

“Thank you for your contribution, constable” Fraser retorted.

“Now, please tell me about this confrontation you are alleged to have had with the deceased”

Yashuki explained the scuffle and ended with “I let him up and we each walked away. He walked towards the pump room and I went to see his brother”

“Why do you think he went to the pump room?”

“Earlier I was floating candles in the pool to create atmosphere, when the lights were turned off. Also, Patrick wanted the pump turned off so the candles didn’t mess up his filter system. I suppose he went to turn those things off”

“You said you went to see the deceased’s brother. That would be...” Fraser looked at his notes and continued “...Dante Ricardi?”

“Yes Sir, I wanted to tell him what his brother had done”

“You mean attacking you?”

“Yes Sir, it really was none of his business. And when we parted company he was certainly alive and well. May I go now?”

“That’s all the questions I have for now, but please remain in the main room until further notice”

“Yes Sir”

As Yashuki left, Fraser said “Constable, find out what’s happening with this CCTV”

The constable went off as requested while Fraser went to fetch Dante for questioning.

<>

“Dante Ricardi, is that your name?”

“Yes”

“Tell me about your talk with Mr Tanaka earlier this evening”

“He came to tell me my brother had been harassing him about our meetings”

“Meetings meaning?”

“We mucked round, as boys do. You know how it is”

“No I don’t, please elaborate”

“Ok, Yashuki and I occasionally had sex. Is that plain enough for you?”

“Explicitly, thank you”

“And why was that a problem for the deceased?”

“Because I am in a relationship with Thomas”

“Relationship meaning...you have sex... and Thomas being the chap who had the image of the deceased on his phone?”

“It’s more than just sex, but you’re on the right track”

“Good, and when was the last time you saw your brother alive?”

“Just after Yashuki spoke to me I went over to the pool to have it out with...” Dante paused before he could continue “I went to see Patrick” he said, as his voice began to crack.

“I realise this is difficult for you Mr Ricardi , but I must ask these questions while the events are fresh in everyone’s minds”

“Yes, I understand”

“Please tell me how you ‘had it out’ with your brother and what time was this?”

“I didn’t have any duties tonight, so I was watching TV. Grantchester just finished and I was waiting for Vera to start”

“Very specific, that’s good” then turning to his constable asked “Please check what times these programs start and finish”

Dante explained what happened with Patrick taking swings and he ducking. Then concluded with “Before he could swing another punch, I pushed him away and then I left immediately”

“Did you see him fall in the pool?”

“No, of curse not. I would have checked on him if I had. He is...that is he was my brother and we loved each other very much”

“Of course”

The constable then said “The Grantchester show finishes at eight twenty boss”

Fraser made a note in his book then scratched his head while thinking of another question “Oh yes, could you demonstrate on me, in slow motion of course, how and where you pushed your brother?”

“That would be inappropriate and difficult to do under the circumstances”

“Why is that?”

“I didn’t push him with my hands”

“Did you nudge him more forcefully with your shoulder?”

“No...I...pushed him with my feet”

“You said feet, not foot”

“Yes, I jumped into the air, pushed him back with my feet, then regained my balance before I landed”

“Is that some sort of martial arts move?”

“No, it’s a sort of ballet move”

“I must go to the theatre more often if that’s what they do in ballet now”

“I mean it’s my ballet training that helped me do that”

“Well, I hope that’s on the CCTV. Speaking of which, where is that constable?”

Fraser accompanied Dante back to the dining room, told the officer on guard, to make sure Dante remained in the room, then left in search of the CCTV.

***

When he reached the pool area he called to his constable, who poked his head out of the pump room and said “Where in here Sir, having some bother with the recording device”

“What sort of bother?” Fraser asked as he entered the room.

“It seems the recorder was turned off and I’ve only just discovered why” replied Lachlan

“Why was it was turned off?”

“I know how, and why is probably by accident”

“How do you know that?”

“There are three main switches in the pump room and they’re all on the same switch block. One each for the pump, the outside lights around the pool and one for the CCTV system”

“Go on” Fraser said as he flipped through his note book.

“It seems they were all turned off”

“Ah here it is. Mr Tanaka told me the deceased was going to turn off the pump and the lights, so are you suggesting he may have turned off the CCTV as well?”

“It’s just a calculated guess. I can’t think of any other reason to turn off the CCTV”

“Unless, someone didn’t want their actions to be recorded”

“But who would do that?” asked Lachlan

“Constable, please go and arrest Mr Ricardi on the charge of murder” Then looking at Lachlan, ordered “When you get that confounded machine going, make a copy or whatever you have to do and get it to the station first thing in the morning. Here is my card”

*****

Next Chapter - Support from an unlikely person. An unexpected reaction.
Copyright © 2022 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Wow 4
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
Please leave a comment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, I was wrong, and @Summerabbacat was right about it being Patrick in the pool.

Teaser for next chapter is fascinating.  I look forward to seeing who Dante was having sex with or was talking to during the time frame of the murder.  Unless -- If Patrick's ribs were caved in by the feet kick from Dante, that would do it.

Also, good CCTV systems often have backup power sources which are not obvious.  Some years ago, I talked with a security specialist who attends a particular church in my area.  He told me that the system, which he helps with maintaining, has backup power which would last for hours, but is motion activated so little power is used if nothing is happening that creates motion.  Many also transmit to one or additional locations as a backup in case records from one place are deleted.  Thomas and Patrick would probably have had at least one backup location of vid/pic storage -- but Thomas (or Lachlan) might not immediately remember that.  Thomas would be more likely to know about backups than Lachlan.

Looking forward to seeing what others have as thoughts on this chapter.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, chris191070 said:

Interesting chapter. I can't see Dante killing Patrick.

Could have happened by accident.  When Dante kicked Patrick in the chest with both feet, it might have stopped his heart, or thrown the heart wildly out of rhythm, such that not enough blood was pumped,  or some ribs might have broken and pierced vital organs.

I worry for Carol.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

My fellow sleuths @ReaderPaul and @chris191070 have offered perfectly plausible explanations regarding the circumstances of Patrick's death, but I strongly suspect his death was a very unfortunate accident, not a murder. He may have been injured without even knowing it when Yashuiki “kneeled on his back, with one knee at the base of his spine” and further injured when Dante kicked him in his mid-air pirouette. Patrick may have stumbled because the lights were off, fallen and hit his head on the concrete surrounding the pool and then tried to get up and fallen into the pool and drowned. If it was murder, I wonder if perhaps he was not the intended victim, perhaps Dante was the intended victim and it was a case of mistaken identity (it has happened before). Perhaps their mother is one of the murder party weekend guests and witnessed the fight between Patrick and 女性器, and then between Patrick and Dante. She may have then slipped out and pushed Patrick into the pool with the hope that one or the other of Patrick’s foe would be charged with his murder.

I am very upset Patrick is dead. Although he was not perfect, he was a bloody lot nicer than 女性器. If you must kill off any more characters @Wombat Bill can you at least pick from the "bottom of the barrel".

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Very sorry to see Patrick as the deceased. He did seem to be the better of the two brothers.   And it very well could be an unfortunate accident. Hopefully caught on the cctv.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..