Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,646 Words
  • 93 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes

CRYSTALLINE - 18. Virginia Won’t Accept Your Money

On Saturday morning after the Hayes family left to go shopping, Thomas called Virginia while Dante was preparing breakfast. When it was ready he went to Thomas, who was still on the phone, and signalled to indicate their breakfast was ready.

“Sure Virginia, thanks for your instructions, I’ll sort it out and let you know the outcome. Bye for now” Thomas concluded.

“So how did she take the news?”

“Surprised, shocked, disappointed, furious and violated”

“Wow, I don’t know her well but didn’t think she’d react so strongly”

“How would you feel if you were told some people were squatting in your house and you didn’t know?”

“I see your point, but this seems like a nice family, homeless through no fault of their own”

“I explained all that to her”

“So why does she still want them thrown out?”

“I didn’t say that”

“Sounded like it”

“Sure at first she was so shocked she was all for calling the police to evict them, not that it is a police matter. She would have to take legal action first. Anyway I explained how they had repaired the damage done by the hippies and kept the place clean since then, so she calmed down”

“Then she said they could stay”

“No”

“But what about when you told her they want to pay rent?”

“She said she would not accept it” replied Thomas

“Bitch!”

***

The family returned just before lunch when Thomas and Dante were doing some finishing touches to the garden.

“I hope you guys have worked up an appetite” said Trevor “I’ve found the biggest steaks in town. Tomahawk they’re called... massive”

“I’ve got some prawns to barbecue for starters” added Denise

“And I’m doing dessert” said Amy.

“Sounds like a real family affair, looking forward to it all” replied Dante “Just love prawns done on the barbecue. Do you have a sauce?”

“No, should I?” asked Denise.

“Can I make a seafood sauce that I learned from my Nonna’s recipes she sent to us?”

“Sounds great, welcome to the family affair. Now Thomas, have you any secret talents to tell us about?”

“Not secret but I’m pretty good serving drinks, will that do?”

“You’re on, how about starting now” Trevor said.

<>

Barbecue fired up and drinks served all round, the newly blended group looked and sounded like old friends, laughing and sharing stories in the rescued garden.

“Oh my god!” exclaimed Thomas as he patted his stomach “I don’t think I’ve ever eaten so much meat in one sitting. Probably won’t need to eat for three days”

“You certainly know your meat and how to barbecue” said Dante

“Thanks man. You know I like you guys, didn’t think I’d ever say that about...”

“Gay guys?” asked Thomas.

“No! I wasn’t going to say that at all” Trevor snapped indignantly “I was going to say about you probably throwing us out of the house”

“Yes boys, when are you going to tell us?” Denise asked

“Ok, I’ll tell you now. I spoke to the owner this morning. She was very shocked at the news but when I explained the circumstances she calmed down a bit”

“But?”

“No buts, I’ll explain if you can throw me another coldie” said Thomas

“Here man, now tell us the bad news straight up, no need to sugar coat it”

“As I was saying I spoke to the owner. Her name is Virginia and I used to work for her”

“Yes, you told us that, get on with it” suggested Trevor

“When she got over her shock at her house being used without her knowledge she asked me about you and I told her you are a loving, caring family that have taken care of her property in a way that others might not in similar circumstances. Then she asked me about your house and when it’s likely to be rebuilt. I told her you were ready as soon as the insurance paid out and you could get building materials”

“It sounds like she’s a bit sympathetic to our situation”

“Yes, she is and I’ll tell you why. Virginia is not an uncaring person even though she comes from a well to do family and married into an even richer family. This means she was shielded from knowing what it is like to struggle with earning a living and make your own way in life. Also she and her husband did not have any children so she has not experienced being part of a loving family. Now I’m not making excuses for her, that is just the life she was dealt. However, after divorce a few years back she started a new life with another man and is now walking a different path. In an effort to give to society she started volunteering at a soup kitchen, or the meal centre, as she likes to call it, that feed the homeless and has seen an entirely different side to society”

“That’s all very nice to hear, but what is she going to do about us?” asked Trevor

“Let me continue so you fully understand the reason for her decision”

“I’m not liking the sound of this”

“Through her work at the soup kitchen, she recently met some young people who have become homeless because they were thrown out of foster care when they reached eighteen and legally adults. I have been working with her to find some of these young people, not only a home but also a job. That brings me to the reason for her decision”

“I don’t believe it, she’s going to throw us out and put these kids in here instead”

“Where did you get that idea?”

“It just seems the next logical step in this long-winded story of yours to soften us up for the final blow”

“Ok, I’ll cut to the chase and give you the final blow. On my recommendation, Virginia said you can stay here until your house is rebuilt to the stage that it is habitable”

“Oh, that is such a relief. Why didn’t you just say so at the beginning?”

“I wanted you to understand who your landlord is and why she made this decision”

“Well then, we want to thank her so much and promise to keep her house in good order as long as we are here” said Denise.

“And will you give us her bank details so we can transfer the back rent to her” asked Trevor

“I won’t do that”

“Sure, privacy and bank fraud, I understand. So I’ll get a cheque, who should I make it out to?”

“Virginia won’t accept your money”

“I don’t understand, what’s wrong with our money? It’s all earned legitimately”

“She won’t accept your money because she would rather you put it towards refurnishing your house or for Amy’s education. Furthermore you can stay here rent free until you can move to your own home”

“She sounds like a wonderful person and very generous” commented Denise

Thomas then leaned in towards Denise and Trevor and said “Just between you and me, she doesn’t really need the money. But keep that to yourself”

“Of course, now what can we do to thank her appropriately?”

“Just keep doing what you’ve been doing, looking after the house”

“And the garden” added Dante

“Of course, of course. This is so wonderful to know there are such caring people in this world”

Thomas then wrapped up the discussion by saying “Now that’s settled, how about dessert Amy?”

“Oh, I almost forgot. I’ll get it now” responded Amy

While Amy was putting the final touches to her dessert creation, Denise said “Let me know when you are going back to Sydney and I’ll bake the day before and you can take our personal thanks back to, Virginia is it”

“I think she’d love that”

“Oh here comes dessert” announced Trevor

Each person receive a large dessert bowl with three flavours of ice cream topped with crushed Tim Tam biscuits, Smarties, jelly babies and sliced bananas. Just as Dante was about to dig in, Amy said “Wait, there’s more” she then walked around the table spooning whipped cream from a bowl and topped each dollop of cream with a Freddo Frog.

***

On Sunday the boys joined the family for a day at the beach. On Monday Denise baked all day and on Tuesday the two groups said a tearful goodbye and the boys set off, their back seat loaded with home baked treats.

On the way home, Thomas called Virginia and invited himself over for dinner.

“You know you’re always welcome here and I’d love to see you both but it’s short notice so you’ll have to be satisfied with what’s in the fridge or I could get something delivered”

“No need for that, I have everything for dinner, all three courses. You just provide the bubbles”

“There’s no shortage of those here, but this is a bit strange you bringing your own food”

“It is actually yours, but I’ll explain when I get there”

“Ok, mysterious one”

***

Desmond opened the door but was nearly bowled over by Virginia pushing past to give Thomas a hug. “Come here my boy, it’s been so long”

With the breath almost squeezed out of his body, Thomas just managed to say “So good to see you, what a welcome”

Trying to ignore the mother and son reunion, Desmond shook Dante’s hand and said “Come in young man. Just leave those two”

“Good to see you again Desmond”

“Same here, how was the trip? I’ll bet that garden was a mess”

“Full of surprises, the whole week”

“Have a seat and I’ll get us some drinks” suggested Desmond

“Before that I have to get the food from the car”

“Virginia mentioned that, have you been cooking?”

“Not me but your tenant has”

“Can I give you a hand?” Desmond asked

“Maybe you should, doesn’t look like Thomas is available”

“You’ll have to get used to this. When these two are together you can’t separate them”

<>

When Desmond and Dante returned with the baked goods, Thomas explained how the tenants had sent them as a thank you. Virginia also quizzed him about the Hayes family and showed interest in helping them further if she could.

“That’s generous of you Virginia, but I think you’ve done plenty by letting them live there rent free. Trevor is a proud man and does not accept charity willingly. He has a full-time job and Denise works part-time as she can get work to fit around Amy’s school hours. I think it would embarrass them if you offered anymore”

“I see, then I’ll accept your advice, but let me know if there is anything they need”

“Of course. Now I’d like to arrange a day next week to talk to some of the young people at your soup...sorry, meal centre”

“Certainly, you name the day and I’ll make sure they are there”

***

Virginia was as good as her word and had seven young people attend for interview with Thomas and Lachlan a week later.

Overall their attitude was positive with just two being a little untrusting of someone wanting to help them.

“And what happens when you’re finished with me, back on the streets again. I might as well just stay here where I’m at least accepted for who I am” challenged Charlotte.

“I know you’ve been let down by your foster arrangements. But things are different for you, now you are an adult. If you are accepted this will be a job and training offer as well as basic accommodation. There will be pay commensurate with age and experience. How long the successful applicants stay is up to them. Work hard and learn diligently then employment and opportunities will continue. They will be free to leave anytime if they find the work doesn’t suit or on the upside, leave to take up another opportunity. You could not only have all that but also meet new people from a variety of occupations and backgrounds. Now I would like you to tell us about yourself. What education level you reached and work experience you have had, if any and what aspirations you have. Please talk openly and don’t try to bullshit us. We both have finely tuned bullshit meters”

“You two seem to have tickets on yourselves”

“I prefer to call it confidence, earned from experience. Now go on please”

Charlotte took a step back from the attitude and spoke about herself, as if she was a third party observing herself. She said she wanted to be an actor, but realised that might be further in the future.

<>

After she finished, Lachlan said “Thank you so much for that, we have learned a lot about you and will take all of it into consideration. But I have to ask you one more question. You have probably attended today because you were urged to by Mrs Wilson, but what I want to know is if you are really interested in one of our positions if we were to make you an offer?”

“Yes, I think you guys have convinced me that I would be treated fairly, so I’d like to give it a go”

“Good then, we will consider you for one of the positions and let you know one way or the other. Leave us some contact details so we can let you know the result”

***

Another interviewee was Troy, who was totally on board with the idea from the start. But half way through the interview he asked “Are you guys queers?”

“Is there some relevance to your question, we have not asked you about your sexual orientation”

“I just like to know who I’m dealing with”

“Ok, we expect honesty from you, so we will give the same. Yes, we are gay, is that a problem for you?”

“It may be. Can you tell me about this resort thing you’re planning to open? Is it just for gays?”

“Yes, that is the market we will be targeting”

“So you’re interviewing all us young guys because you are putting together a stable of bum boys for your clients?”

“Nothing like that at all and quite frankly I find your accusation offensive in the extreme. The owner of this project is a highly respected businessman whose family has been in the jewellery business for three generations. I have worked for the family for many years and assure you nothing could be further from the truth. You and your fellow interviewees, we know are having difficult times. Our purpose here is to get you off the streets where what you’re suggesting could easily happen. Do I make myself clear?”

“I think that will do. You guys seem honest so if you say that, then I believe you”

“Thank you, but there is no point continuing this interview if you are going to have a problem working at a gay oriented resort”

“Are there straight people working there also?”

“Of course, we expect most of the staff will be straight, that’s our society, but we don’t question people about their sexuality and quite frankly don’t want to know?”

“Ok sign me up”

“Not so fast. This is just a preliminary interview. When we make a short list of acceptable applicants we will then make some offers and discuss employment preferences”

“Can I register my preference now?”

“Of course, what would you like to do?”

“When I was in care I used to do the mowing at home, and they sent me to the community garden to learn more about plants. And I also volunteer to help old people with their gardens. So....”

“Say no more” interrupted Thomas “We have a gardening position available so we will consider you for that”

“Thanks, what else do you want to know?”

*****

Next Chapter - New faces, young and older.
Copyright © 2022 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 8
Please leave a comment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Virginia caring nature, shows again as she let's the family live rent free whilst there house is rebuilt.

I think we're going to meet some new people after Thomas and Lachlan complete there interview. It will be interesting to have new people around.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

What is it with these "Tr" yobbos @Wombat Bill? Trevor and Troy, and their discomfort with "bum boys". FFS what rock have they been hiding under. It is a real shame because I have always liked the name Troy. If he is employed to assist Dante with gardening he might just get a rude shock when Dante reveals he is also a "bum boy". 

Virginia's caring nature seems to be expanding with each new case of misfortune. I can only hope it does not lead to her being taken advantage of by someone unscrupulous.

I almost felt diabetic just from reading the contents of Amy's dessert. I don't think I could stomach such a concoction.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Summerabbacat said:

What is it with these "Tr" yobbos @Wombat Bill? Trevor and Troy, and their discomfort with "bum boys". FFS what rock have they been hiding under. It is a real shame because I have always liked the name Troy. If he is employed to assist Dante with gardening he might just get a rude shock when Dante reveals he is also a "bum boy". 

Virginia's caring nature seems to be expanding with each new case of misfortune. I can only hope it does not lead to her being taken advantage of by someone unscrupulous.

I almost felt diabetic just from reading the contents of Amy's dessert. I don't think I could stomach such a concoction.

 

That Desert was yummy, think of the sugar rush 😋 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment

Very interesting.  I look forward to seeing how these young persons and other work out.

@Summerabbacat, I must agree with you on Amy's dessert.  I'm diabetic already, and also allergic to bananas and to whipped cream.

@chris191070, your point about the caring nature of Virginia is well taken.  Obviously, I agree, as does Summerabbacat.  Hopefully, Desmond may be able to shield her from some of that.

Summerabbacat, I've met two gay guys named Trevor and Troy, but also met a really redneck Troy.

The problem of foster families kicking out foster kids when they "age out" is not limited to Australia.  Some parts of the US have that problem as well.  However, I do know of one family who had one kid, ended up with six foster kids (all siblings, and the foster parents did not want to split up the kids, who were children of friends killed in a car wreck), and after paperwork shuffling was accomplished, managed to adopt all six foster kids, taking them from a family of three to a family of nine all at once.  It was a struggle financially at times, but the family is doing great and all the kids are loved.

Good chapter, @Wombat Bill.

  • Love 4
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, ReaderPaul said:

Very interesting.  I look forward to seeing how these young persons and other work out.

@Summerabbacat, I must agree with you on Amy's dessert.  I'm diabetic already, and also allergic to bananas and to whipped cream.

The problem of foster families kicking out foster kids when they "age out" is not limited to Australia.  Some parts of the US have that problem as well.  However, I do know of one family who had one kid, ended up with six foster kids (all siblings, and the foster parents did not want to split up the kids, who were children of friends killed in a car wreck), and after paperwork shuffling was accomplished, managed to adopt all six foster kids, taking them from a family of three to a family of nine all at once.  It was a struggle financially at times, but the family is doing great and all the kids are loved.

@ReaderPaul my experience with diabetes is limited to caring for my first cat who was diabetic for most of his life (twice daily insulin injections for almost 10 years). A horrible disease which I am sad to hear you have.

What a wonderful account of the family you know. It always gladdens my heart to read of such occurrences, reminding me of my days of fostering felines (I had a family of 13 at one stage, 5 of whom were kittens). I don't think I have ever felt I was making more of a contribution to society than when I was fostering. My current family of 4 started out as foster cats, but the decision to adopt permanently was an easy one to make. Ava and Bassey were the only cats I have ever had who did not start out as "fosters".

And yes, a moving chapter (yes those bloody tears again) @Wombat Bill.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Who would have thought a young girl's simple dessert could provoke so much controversy. I take it you all, at least, enjoyed the Freddo Frog.

th?id=OIP.THN98NfTofZC9jAukTjgMwAAAA&pid=Api&P=0

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 9/5/2022 at 9:51 AM, ReaderPaul said:

Very interesting.  I look forward to seeing how these young persons and other work out.

@Summerabbacat, I must agree with you on Amy's dessert.  I'm diabetic already, and also allergic to bananas and to whipped cream.

@chris191070, your point about the caring nature of Virginia is well taken.  Obviously, I agree, as does Summerabbacat.  Hopefully, Desmond may be able to shield her from some of that.

Summerabbacat, I've met two gay guys named Trevor and Troy, but also met a really redneck Troy.

The problem of foster families kicking out foster kids when they "age out" is not limited to Australia.  Some parts of the US have that problem as well.  However, I do know of one family who had one kid, ended up with six foster kids (all siblings, and the foster parents did not want to split up the kids, who were children of friends killed in a car wreck), and after paperwork shuffling was accomplished, managed to adopt all six foster kids, taking them from a family of three to a family of nine all at once.  It was a struggle financially at times, but the family is doing great and all the kids are loved.

Good chapter, @Wombat Bill.

That’s wonderful to hear about the people who took on a family of kids and wanted to keep them together, it’s difficult for kids to cope when they are split up 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I didn’t like the dessert  but that’s only because I don’t have a sweet tooth and only occasionally eat dessert 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..