Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,638 Words
  • 90 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes

CRYSTALLINE - 33. Social Media

Connor trawled through the social media accounts of Crystalline and found some guests posting images taken on the night of the crime. But there was nothing of much use, however he continued to monitor the account daily for new postings.

He then turned his attention to finding other accounts of staff and guests. Daily he met with Fraser and Giles for an update.

“Have you found many images from that night?” asked Fraser

“Just a few, but nothing of any help. Mostly they are inside shots of dining and selfies on arrival”

“Is there some way you can encourage people to post more on the site?”

“Is there anything in particular you are looking for?”

“The Ricardi brother we have in custody claims he didn’t see his brother after he pushed him, didn’t see him fall or even hear him fall into the pool. I want photographic evidence of what happened after that push”

“I can’t encourage more postings on the site, but the owners of the resort could post a message asking for more images. But why don’t you just go through the phones of everyone who was there?”

“I’d need a warrant for that, if the owner of the phone is not a suspect and that’s very difficult to get. A judge would just see it as a fishing exercise unless we have some other evidence to justify seizing private phones”

Connor then suggested “What if I set up an account as someone interested in exploiting the crime?”

“What do you mean by exploiting?”

“Like, for people with ghoulish interests in seeing crime scene photos. With so many people there on the night there must be some images of interest to the curious and possibly to us. Even if they don’t realise the importance of the image, we might find something of interest, even if it’s just in the background. You’d be surprised what people photograph unintentionally and then only see what they want to see”

“I knew you were wasted up there in PR. Who needs that, what this force needs is good detective work, not mollycoddling of the public to gain a few more votes”

“So you want me to do it?”

“Your life won’t be worth living if you don’t, now you’ve raised my interest. I’ve found in all my years...Giles are you listening?”

“Yes, of course, boss”

“Good, you both can learn from this. What I was about to say is, most good clues and verbal evidence comes from people when they don’t think they’re giving you anything. Remember that, when interviewing suspects and persons of interest”

“Sir” said Connor “Do I have free reign to do what I like on this site?”

“Yes, but what do you mean specifically?”

“I want to attract people with a...lust for blood...if you take my meaning”

“You mean weirdos?”

“Yes, those who might like to colour...outside the lines”

“Use your own judgement, but anything that could be considered too far outside the box, you better run by me first. We don’t want to finish up before an internal inquiry”

“Got it boss...can I call you that?”

“Call me anything you like, except late for dinner”

“I don’t understand”

“Don’t call me late for din....never mind”

Connor gave a little giggle and said “I think I get it...boss”

“We might make a detective out of you yet, Connor”

“Does that mean I can stay here?”

“Let’s see how you go with this case first. One step at a time”

While Connor went about his work, Fraser asked Giles “Do you think there could be any connection between this ex-con, who was a guest, and this case?’

“I can’t see anything so far”

“Get Connor to see if he can find a photo of this, what’s his name?”

“Rodney Smith”

“Great, there must be thousands of Smiths”

Connor was listening to the conversation and said, without taking his eyes off his screen “I’ve got a few already, can I have the police database report, so I can narrow down my options?”

“Giles” commanded Fraser

While she was sending the report to Connor, he asked “Can you give me authority to access the motor licence database. It’s a mine of information, including dates of birth, licence numbers, addresses, vehicle regos and ID images”

“Consider it done’ replied Fraser, then said “Giles”

“Yep, on to it”

“I do so like the well-oiled machine we’ve become”

<>

“Fifteen minutes later, Connor handed Fraser, who preferred printed output, a one page info sheet on Rodney Smith, including his prison admission ID photo”

“Giles pin this to the evidence board”

“In what context?”

“Just person of interest, for now”

<>

By the end of the day, Connor had his Krimes I Know site up and running. Then he left for the day, knowing that if he stayed he would be constantly checking the site for postings.

“Bye guys, great working with you. Hope we have some hits by the morning”

“Is that how you work?” asked Fraser

“Yes, is that a problem?” he asked so indignantly and assertively, that even the hard boiled Fraser was reduced to “No, not a problem with me. Have a good night”

“Anything planned for the evening?” asked Giles

“I’m thinking... meet some mates for a few drinks, dinner, then hit the dance floor at Pump till I boogie off all the day’s stress”

“Have fun and don’t do any boys that I wouldn’t”

“Thanks for the good wishes Grace, but I won’t take your advice” Then he left, skipping down the corridor.

“Boogie off the day’s stress?” asked Fraser

“You should try it sometime”

“Is that what his sort do?”

“And what sort would that be?” questioned Giles

“You know...” he replied as he did a limp wrist movement

“If that’s what he wants, why not”

“Just asking, who am I to judge, I don’t judge you, do I?”

“I don’t know, what would you judge me for?”

“You’re sort of...you know...bent like that, but in the other direction”

“What a quaint way of putting an assessment of my sexual orientation”

“Always trying to please, Giles. Now I think I might boogie my way down to the pub for some serious drinking, but no dancing”

“Oh, I’m disappointed, and just when I thought you were getting your groove”

“I suppose you’re going to dance off your woes”

“I thought I might dismantle my bike, clean the carby and adjust the turbo thrusters”

“Giles....don’t push your luck”

“Good evening Frase”

***

After three days of self-enforced confinement, Carol showed up at the kitchen door just as she heard Cook “Scat you...go on get out of here. Don’t just sit there and look pleadingly at me it won’t get you anywhere with me. MOVE!” she shouted.

“What are you doing?” asked Carol

“Just trying to...Carol you’re here, how wonderful to see up and about. Want a cuppa, something to eat, what?”

“Firstly I want to know who you’re shouting at”

“Just some stray cat that founds its way into the kitchen and mistakenly thinks it’s going to find its way into my heart”

“What a beautiful cat, come here kitty”

The cat was either confused, stunned or almost scared to death, as it sat motionless and silent while Carol tried to befriend it”

“Don’t encourage the damn thing”

“Get me a saucer of milk, it’s probably thirsty”

“No, once you feed these creatures they take it as invitation to move in. I don’t want or need a kitchen kitty and what would Mr P say to having an animal in the house, especially in the kitchen”

“He doesn’t need to know and besides I don’t think he’d mind anyway, he’s such a softy these days” Carol stated as she went to the fridge to fetch milk.

“But it’s my kitchen and I make the rules”

“Ok then I’ll keep her in my room”

“You do know they poop and pee”

“I’ll clean up if she has an accident”

“How do you know it’s a her?”

“She looks like a girl, look at that adorable face”

As Carol set down a bowl of milk, the cat tentatively took a few steps towards it. “See she just needs a kindly gesture and some soothing words, don’t you kitty” asked Carol as she brushed the cat, who seemed to tolerate the invasion of her space for a brief period, then indicated by the tail flicking that patting time was limited.

<>

The next twenty minutes saw much to and fro between Cook and Carol, till the senior one said “Be it on your head girlie. I’m stating my case clearly that I object”

While Carol fussed over the cat, Cook started the evening meal. As she worked alone, Cook always used this time to mull over things that troubled her or plan the next few days’ menus. On this particular day, her mind was preoccupied with Patrick’s death, Dante’s arrest and Carol’s loss. ‘You stupid woman’ she said to herself ‘how could you be so uncaring’. Carol’s loss should have been at the front of Cook’s mind, but instead she was balling her out over wanting a cat. Then it hit her, like a ton of bricks, as she remembered her father saying at times.

Cook put the vegetables back in water, wiped her hands on her apron and called out “Carol dear are you still there?”

***

Since the weekend’s sad event, Jonathan and Lachlan had been dining with the staff for the evening meal, as a way of showing their support.

“It’s good to have you back at dinner, Carol” said Lachlan

“It’s good to be back among friends...no, I really mean family. That’s what you’ve become to me. My Mum was over yesterday and wanted me to go home with her, but somehow I just felt more comfortable and supported here. Also, this is where I met and fell in love with Patrick and.....”

Carol’s voice trailed off, then she took a deep breath, wiped her eyes and said I have something to ask you Mr P.”

“Yes, my dear, what is it?”

“No need to bother Mr P, I’m sure he’ll be in agreement” suggested Cook

“You may well be right Cook, if only you would let Carol ask me herself”

“Sorry Mr P, go ahead Carol”

”This afternoon someone new came into my life”

“Came into my kitchen, is more like it” interjected Cook

Jonathan shot Cook a stare of disapproval, then Carol continued “Mr P would it be all right if I kept a cat, that seems to want to move in here. She or he is very affectionate, has lovely markings and I’m sure wouldn’t be any trouble, I’d take care of all her needs”

“Carol, there is no need to ask my permission, this is your home, but I would like to meet this animal that seems to have stolen your heart so quickly”

“Sure I’ll get her now, if that’s all right”

“Go and get this newest member of the family”

 

While Carol was away, Cook said “Thanks Mr P, I thought the cat might be company for Carol and give her a new focus, what with all she’s going through, you know....”

“I thoroughly agree Cook, I’m pleased you encouraged her to adopt the cat”

Cook coughed and smiled silently, while Lachlan asked “Are we sure this cat doesn’t belong to a neighbour who may be missing her or him, that doesn’t seem to be determined yet either”

“Good point” added Thomas

“Let’s not bother about that for now” suggested Jonathan “Carol’s recovery is the most important thing now, and if the cat helps, so be it”

 

Carol returned with the feline in her arms. The cat took a look around the assembled party but did not seem impressed, as evidenced by more tail flicking.

“So what’s your name?” asked Lachlan as he reached out to pat the newcomer and was chastised for his impudence, with a scratch to the hand. “Ouch! Not a kindly kitty, are you?”

“Do you want something for that scratch?” asked Cook

“No, I’ll be ok thanks” he replied as he applied a paper serviette to wipe away the blood.

“Just the same, a dab of Dettol won’t go astray, I’ll get it”

“So, what do we call the cat, Grumpy?” asked Thomas

“NO!” snapped Carol “I haven’t decided on a name as I don’t know if...well a boy or a girl”

“I can help with that” offered Yashuki

“Do you want a chair and a whip?” asked Lachlan

Yashuki smiled, assuming Lachlan was joking and said “Carol if you can just hold up the tail and point the rear end this way”

Yashuki took a close look and declared “You have a female Cat”

“Then can I make a suggestion?” asked Lachlan “How about Clawsia?”

“Lachlan you are being cheeky now” from Cook

“He’s close though. I think I’ll call her Claudia. Yes, that’s it Claudia”

Jonathan raised his glass and said “Claudia, welcome to the household, though an adjustment of manners would be most welcome”

“I’m sure she’ll settle down when she gets to know the place”

Thomas, always the practical one, added “Perhaps a visit to the vet might be in order”

“She’s not sick” protested Carol

“Not for that, the vet can scan her for a microchip and identify if she has an owner. Then if not she can be checked over to make sure she’s healthy and if not already done she will need to be neutered”

“NO!” Carol snapped again.

“It’s only fair to a possible previous owner”

“I don’t mean that, but the neutral thing you said, I know what that means”

“But it must be done or we could have a sudden explosion in the population and besides in some council areas it’s compulsory unless you have a breeders licence”

“Then I’ll get one of those”

“Carol, my dear” said Jonathan “It’s the only practical solution, unless you lock her up 24/7 and that wouldn’t be a kindly way to keep a cat. You can’t be sure where a cat goes when not supervised, but let’s leave the discussion for now. I don’t want you getting upset about it”

“Speaking of practical matters” said Cook “We need to organise a place for Claudia to sleep”

“In my room of course”

“In that case you’ll need to organise some toilet facilities”

“A cat can’t use a toilet”

“I know that girlie, I meant a litter tray. Have you ever had a cat before?”

“No”

“I thought not, so what do we do for tonight” asked Cook

“We might have something in the garden shed for a litter tray” suggested Lachlan “And we’ll need some sand or commercial litter”

“Maybe sand will do for tonight and we’ll get the proper litter tomorrow” concluded Thomas.

<>

While Cook and Mia attended to the dishes, Carol was cat taming, Lachlan was scavenging in the garden shed, Jonathan went to his lounge for a brandy, the younger staff went to their quarters and Thomas and Yashuki finished the bottle of white left on the table.

“Bottoms up” said Thomas “I’m going to have an early night”

“Is that some sort of invitation” asked Yashuki

“What?...oh no, bottoms up means finish your drink”

<>

“The dishwasher’s on and the kitchen tidied, can I go now?” asked Mia

“What’s that dear?” asked Cook, who was distracted by what she was watching through the window.

“Can I go off duty now?”

“Yes...good...night...girl” Cook replied slowly as she watched Thomas and Yashuki enter the garage, and in the feint light thought she saw them ascend the stairs to the flat.

“Thank you” said Mia.

*****

Next Chapter - Thomas visits Dante. Connor visits Crystalline.
Copyright © 2022 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Please leave a comment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Probably irrelevant observation:  Getting quite a few "C" names -- Cook, Carol, Connor, Claudia, Crystalline, Chelsea Smidmore, and I'm sure I am missing some.

The lack of clear evidence is a point in Dante's favor.

Cook is wise to be wary of cats, but I would like to know what her father used to say and the unspecified subject.

Another well-woven web of noteworthy narrative, the riveting roiling rolling recorded and reported read just rounded up for us.  Thanks, @Wombat Bill.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I’m still suspicious of Yashuki’s motivation with Thomas…especially if he was going with Thomas to his flat.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

“Anything planned for the evening?” asked Giles

“I’m thinking... meet some mates for a few drinks, dinner, then hit the dance floor at Pump till I boogie off all the day’s stress”

“Have fun and don’t do any boys that I wouldn’t”

“Thanks for the good wishes Grace, but I won’t take your advice” Then he left, skipping down the corridor.

And here I was @Wombat Bill with an image of Connor as a young and very butch detective until he skipped down the corridor. Suddenly, I had an image more akin to Cindy bloody Brady than a butch young stud. Funny how one word, whether intentionally used or not, can totally change one's image of something or someone. 

Cook diminished her appeal greatly in this chapter, almost to the point of no return, with her appalling treatment of Claudia. She was definitely off my Christmas Card list until she relented, although disappointingly she only relented because she recognised a feline companion was likely to be beneficial to Carol, not because she recognised Claudia deserved to be accepted for herself. I shall be monitoring Cook's behaviour for any further transgressions @Wombat Bill and if she steps out of line again, she will be dealt with. I am not sure Carol will make the best human companion for Claudia though, she really is a fucking airhead at times (Carol that is, not Claudia). I have already taken a liking to Claudia, she bears a strong resemblance behaviour-wise to my beloved Ava, until she mellowed with age.

The plot thickens @ReaderPaul, @chris191070and @VBlew. Who is Rodney Smith and is his presence at the party of any significance? And a long-shot speculation which has just occurred to me when writing this nonsense, is Axel's "sudden appearance" as Rosemary's love interest merely coincidental or could it be something more sinister? And like both @chris191070 and I have previously pondered, was the wrong twin murdered?

Well @Wombat BillI think you may need to "bring out the big guns". Poirot, Marple or Jessica Fletcher may need to pay a visit to Crystalline with Fraser, Giles and O'Connor to solve this one. 

 

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 9/24/2022 at 10:50 AM, ReaderPaul said:

but I would like to know what her father used to say and the unspecified subject.

 like a ton of bricks - is the saying of her father.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..