Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,580 Words
  • 109 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes

CRYSTALLINE - 6. Ducati or Honda?

A few weeks later, Patrick sought out Dante in a remote part of the garden.

“Dan, I’ve got something important to talk about and I need your permission for something, can you give me some time now?”

“Sure, just talk away while I keep weeding”

“You know Carol and I have become close”

“Sure, but you don’t need my permission for that. We’re not joined at the hip”

“It’s not that as such, but it is about my relationship with Carol”

Dante stopped weeding, leaned back to sit on his haunches and said “Go ahead, I’m intrigued”

“First I need to ask you something. Have you told Thomas about our parents?”

“No, definitely not”

“And he hasn’t asked?”

“No, why?”

“Well Carol picked up on a conversation some time back, apparently we went silent when asked if our parents went to Nonna’s funeral”

“So?”

“She has asked why we don’t talk about our parents”

Dante dug the small garden fork deep into the soil and twisted it as if stabbing someone to death. He then stood up, looked directly into his brother’s eyes and asked “Are you sure you want to go to that place... and why now?”

“I think I love the woman and don’t want any secrets between us. It’s not a good way to start a relationship”

“I don’t think it’s anybody else’s business”

“It’s who we are and I feel the need to share if I’m in a close relationship. If it only concerned me I’d have no hesitation in telling her, but it’s complicated when you’re also in a relationship with someone in the same household. Maybe it’s time you told Thomas”

“I don’t think he wants or needs to know. He hasn’t told me anything about his parents”

“I disagree. He might not have asked you but I think he needs to know who he’s in love with. It would be good if we could tell our partners at the same time”

“What, some sort of joint confession. Maybe you think we should tell everyone at dinner”

“I didn’t mean together, like that. Separately but on the same day”

“I’ll have to think about it” Dante concluded as he lifted the handles of the wheelbarrow and left Patrick standing alone.

‘And I thought we shared the way we think, but it seems we’ve parted ways now’ Patrick thought.

He had nothing to do that day and didn’t feel like hanging out with his brother, as he usually did so he decided to take a ride and get to know the surrounding area.

Patrick mounted his bike, fastened his helmet, pressed the starter pedal and the motor roared to life. As he sped off leaving behind a shower of flying gravel, Carol ran out to the driveway and swore at Patrick as the last few pieces of gravel hit her.

Back in the kitchen, Cook asked “Who were those choice words for?”

Patrick took off in a hurry, didn’t even ask me if I wanted to go. You know he hasn’t even taken me for a ride on his bike yet”

“As may be, but you do have work to do and he may be on a job. He runs a few messages for Thomas sometimes”

“Maybe, but I want to be with him all the time”

“Are you falling in love my girl?”

“You know, I think I am. Isn’t it wonderful?”

“I’m happy for you girl, but be careful, don’t give your heart away to the first man that shows up on a throbbing motor bike. Come to think of it, he’s not the first is he?”

“I’d rather not be reminded of that. Thank you very much”

“Same bike, same genes”

“Are you trying to discourage me?”

“No, not at all, just warning you to be careful. You have a tendency to let your heart overrule your head sometimes”

“Do I really?”

“And another thing to remember is, brother one has proven he can swing both ways, so keep an eye on which way number two swings”

“I never thought of that, do you think it’s possible?”

“Don’t know, just warning you. Now back to work girl”

“Cook, you know how we...you know, on that night we got drunk?”

“Yes, but where are you going with this?”

“Well, you were married and I’m with Patrick but we both did it, so does that mean we swing both ways?”

“I’m not sure one drunken night of experimentation makes us bi”

“Oh that’s good, just wanted to be sure”

“But how do I tell if Patrick is?”

“Just keep your eyes and ears open. If he plays up you’re bound to hear about it around here”

 

***

Patrick pulled into the carpark out front of Deano’s Cafe 64 and parked next to a Honda NT1100. While he was dismounting and checking out the Honda, he heard from behind him “Is every think ok man?”

Patrick opened the face shield and said hesitantly “What...oh sure, why?”

“You seem to be a bit too close to my bike”

“Sorry about that, just admiring it. This is their latest model isn’t it?”

“Yeah, so you know about bikes?”

“The uninformed don’t choose a Ducati just for the colour”

“So you prefer Ducati to Honda”

“Honda would be my second choice”

Patrick then removed his helmet and the stranger put his arm over Patrick’s shoulder. As they walked into the cafe, he said “Now tell me why you choose Ducati ahead of Honda”

<>

Coffee turned into lunch and the stranger introduced himself as Yashuki.

“That’s a Japanese name right?”

“As Japanese as Honda”

“So do you live here?”

“No, I’m on a working holiday and seeing some of your country, but I would like to live here. People are not so uptight and what is it you say...straight laced...is that correct? I learned that from an older guy in Queensland”

“Yes, that’s correct. I’ve never been to Japan, but you’re right about the lifestyle here being more relaxed than many Asian countries. I’ve heard education and work is all important in Japan. Is it true men work such long hours that they rarely spend time with their families and even stay in the city overnight because of a late finish and the long commutes?”

“Some are like that. My father was, so I was determined not to be like that, but it makes it hard to get promotion if you’re not married to the job. Or not married at all, for that matter”

“So, you’re not married or have a girlfriend waiting for you back home?”

“No, it’s not for me”

“You said you’re on a working holiday, what work do you do?”

“I was working in a restaurant as a waiter in Japan, and my passion is magic and I practice as much as I can. But it’s easier to get waiting work here, especially if you speak English”

“I was going to compliment you on your English. How did you learn?”

“I took English as a subject at school and watched lots of American movies. Also the restaurant where I worked was in the Shibuya district. It is very popular with English speaking tourists. Why do foreigners like to cross back and forth on the pedestrian crosswalk? They even photograph themselves doing it”

“I don’t know what you mean”

“No matter”

“So are you working as a waiter around here?”

“Not this last few weeks. I use that as a fall back and to pay for my magic supplies. However, I’ve discovered Australian men like smooth skinned Asians. Some can’t get enough of us and it pays a lot better than waiting”

“And you make a living from...oh I see what you mean. Is that a recognised job for your working visa?”

“Of course not, that’s why I still do mostly waiting to keep my visa valid. But the extra cash on the side is helpful and tax free. I really don’t t like it much and I am very selective and only do it with guys I like”

“Have you tried busking?”

“Busking? I don’t know that word in English. Is it Australian for selling your body?”

“No, nothing like that. It means doing an act on the street or a market and people give you money if they like what you do. You could do your magic tricks”

“Are you allowed to do that here?”

“I think so, I see lots of buskers in the city, but I think you have to get a licence from the local council”

<>

As Patrick called for the bill, Yashuki said “If you’ve nothing planned for the afternoon, would you like to come back to my place, it’s just nearby?”

“And what would we do there?”

“Ride each other into the night, no charge”

“Thanks for the invitation, I’m flattered but that’s not me”

“It didn’t seem like that last week”

“Last week? We’ve never met before”

“It’s true we didn’t exchange names, but we did exchange bodily fluids orally, on your bike in the carpark. I thought this time we might be more adventurous now we’ve formally met. You said then, you wanted to see and feel more of my velvet skin”

“No, not me, you must have confused me with someone else”

“How many guys around here ride that model Ducati?”

“Just...no it doesn’t matter. This has all been a mistake”

***

By the next meeting, the Crystalline project team had grown from five to ten members plus consultants, as needed.

It was decided to redecorate the newly acquired, unoccupied house first, so the resort could open while Jonathan’s cottage and the restaurant were being built. This would allow a soft opening to gauge demand and generate some early cash flow for the business.

An architect was engaged to design the restaurant, the new cottage and the renovation of the stables. Plans were submitted to council as each design was finalised and a builder was engaged to carry out all works by contracting the appropriate tradespeople.

<>

Thomas opened the meeting by welcoming everyone and introducing the new members.

“I would like to introduce Blake. He and his team will be in charge of redecorating all the buildings in the complex”

“Pleased to meet you all. Thank you for entrusting my team and I to carry out the design and decorating for this most exciting and interesting project. I am really looking forward to getting started”

“We’ll see how you go with the first part of the project and if your work meets with our approval you will be offered more as the project proceeds” said Jonathan.

“Thank you Sir, I would not expect anything else and I am sure you will be impressed with the designs I have in mind and the quality of work from my team”

Thomas said “Blake, I would also like to introduce you to some friends of ours who have expertise that will be valuable in the running of the resort. Firstly, Craig and Justin will be setting up and running our restaurant, so you will no doubt be working with them at some stage. They already run the successful Poppy’s restaurant on Flinders as well as being the franchise holders for Catering With Benefits”

“Ah yes, I have dined at Poppy’s and a friend of mine has hosted a few parties catered by those hunky waiters”

“We’ve had a few parties ourselves, in this house, over the years. Craig’s food and Justin’s serving were always popular”

“I’ve no doubt” concluded Blake.

“Now let me introduce Edward, sometimes known as Ed Weiner. Edward will take charge of entertainment when the project is up and running. I am really looking forward to seeing what he will put together for us”

“Also joining us is Andy. He will set up our bar services as well as acquiring all necessary liquor licenses. He also has another project in mind, but we’ll leave that until closer to opening time. Also on the team is Jackson Houston from Houston and Associates - Architects”

“Looking forward to working with you all” said Jackson.

“Another members of our team is Robert Woods, our builder”

“Does anyone ever call you Bob?” asked Justin

As he held up a fist, Robert replied “No one would dare”

“Got it”

“Yes, glad that’s settled” said Thomas “All present today are regular members of the team and we would like to ask you to join our team and meet fortnightly if you can”

“I would be delighted and will try my best to be present at most meetings” replied Blake.

“See what I can do” gruffed Robert.

“Excellent, now let’s get down to our agenda”

<>

The meeting confirmed that the Arcobaleno house would be redecorated, the bathrooms upgraded as first priority and the formal dining room would be used for meals until the restaurant was built. At the same time the stables would be converted into a clubhouse. That would mean the resort could open while other work was being done.

***

Money was staring to flow out at an ever increasing rate. While Thomas had easily managed the household accounts, the Resort project meant increased accounting requirements, so he decided to look for professional help. He called Craig to ask who managed his accounting.

“Juanito has been doing our accounts part-time while he has been completing his studies. He does his final exams next week so he will have free time after that. We can’t offer him full time work, so maybe he will have extra time to help you”

“I take it you are happy with his work”

“He is excellent and when he graduates and gets his registration he could get work anywhere. I just hope we don’t lose him because we only need him part-time”

“Would you ask him to give me a call if he’s interested? If between us we can give him enough hours then he might not look elsewhere”

“Sounds like a good solution. I was worried he might take a full time position somewhere else”

***

Craig immediately went to speak to Juanito.

“Thomas has some work to offer you on their new project. They are turning their property into a gay resort and need someone to manage their accounts. Would you be interested?”

“I would, but don’t you want me here?”

“Of course we do, but we can only offer you part-time and Thomas also only needs a part time accountant. We thought between the two it would provide you with full-time work”

“I was not planning to leave you but I do have in mind opening my own business when I get my registration. That way I could take on contract work with other companies and you don’t really need a qualified accountant to do some of this work. A good bookkeeper can do much of the accounts work which I would supervise”

“You seem to have thought this through thoroughly. That would suit us, provided you give us the same quality service”

“Craig, you guys gave me my start, I would never let you down”

“Excellent, how about we meet in Dean’s about six o’clock for a celebration”

“Love to have a drink with you but I haven’t graduated yet”

“I have no doubt you will, so let’s drink to your success. I’ll call Justin to come in”

“And I’ll ask Edward and Romel to join us”

*****

Next Chapter - Thomas’ background, A taste test, Twins share a bedroom,
Copyright © 2022 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 5
Please leave a comment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

@Wombat Bill, I think Patrick quickly should tell Carol he was mistaken for Dante.  Otherwise, Cook's warning could be taken wrongly and cause unneeded extra drama.

Glad to see Edward and Andy on the team, and looks like Juanito will also be working with Thomas and the team.  Great!

I look forward to seeing what @chris191070 and @Summerabbacat have to say, and hopefully other commenters as well.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Interesting chapter. Patrick definitely needs to tell Carol he was mistaken for Dante, unless we're all mistaken and Patrick swings both ways like his brother.

Great to see the team working together again. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

If the senior Ricardi's exist or existed at some point in time, what did they do that has so shamed their sons. Patrick appears to be the more "forgiving" twin, whereas Dante appears to be bitter and resentful towards their parent(s). This conundrum becomes more intriguing with the passing of each chapter. The intrigue has not quite reached the same heights as "who was Jared's father" prior to the revelation of his identity, but it is heading in that direction. I wait with bated breath  @chris191070 and @ReaderPaul for our author to reveal all. 

Dante has apparently been "stepping out" on Thomas, however, unlike @chris191070 and @ReaderPaul I cannot see any reason for Patrick to reveal this to Carol. Unless Yashuki is employed at Arcobaleno as a waiter, it is unlikely his and Carol's paths will cross or have I completely missed something lads? 

The teaser for the next chapter suggests we may learn something of Thomas' background pre-Crystalline. Unless the vaccinations of the past year have really "fried my brain" I don't recall Thomas having revealed any details of his childhood to any of the other members of the "CWB family". 

I may be reading too much into actions and interactions @Wombat Bill, but is Robert Woods, Bob the Fister rather than Bob the Builder? 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Summerabbacat said:

Dante has apparently been "stepping out" on Thomas, however, unlike @chris191070 and @ReaderPaul I cannot see any reason for Patrick to reveal this to Carol. Unless Yashuki is employed at Arcobaleno as a waiter, it is unlikely his and Carol's paths will cross or have I completely missed something lads? 

The teaser for the next chapter suggests we may learn something of Thomas' background pre-Crystalline. Unless the vaccinations of the past year have really "fried my brain" I don't recall Thomas having revealed any details of his childhood to any of the other members of the "CWB family". 

I may be reading too much into actions and interactions @Wombat Bill, but is Robert Woods, Bob the Fister rather than Bob the Builder? 

Over my more than 65 years of life, I have seen too many cases where someone who seems unlikely to learn Item A from Person P learns it because Second Person S tells Third Person T who tells Fourth Person F who then knows originator P but also knows Person A and tells them about Item A being told by Person P.  The swath of indiscretion from persons who all should have kept their mouth shut caused relational rifts that last anywhere from months to years to permanently.  In cases of mistaken identity this may be even more so multiplied.  So Patrick should quickly tell Carol about being mistaken for Dante, so his version is the FIRST she could possibly hear.  I respectfully agree with @chris191070 in this case.

I still hope other previous CWB commentators will comment on this story.  Speculation fuels even more interest in the stories of @Wombat Bill and others of our favorite writers.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 hours ago, ReaderPaul said:

Over my more than 65 years of life, I have seen too many cases where someone who seems unlikely to learn Item A from Person P learns it because Second Person S tells Third Person T who tells Fourth Person F who then knows originator P but also knows Person A and tells them about Item A being told by Person P.  The swath of indiscretion from persons who all should have kept their mouth shut caused relational rifts that last anywhere from months to years to permanently.  In cases of mistaken identity this may be even more so multiplied.  So Patrick should quickly tell Carol about being mistaken for Dante, so his version is the FIRST she could possibly hear.  I respectfully agree with @chris191070 in this case.

 

Your scenario sounds like Chinese whispers or the superb film from the 1990's Six Degrees of Separation @ReaderPaul. I acknowledge it is a possibility Carol may learn of Dante's indiscretion and it be attributed to Patrick. I am still uncomfortable with Patrick disclosing to Carol the source of the mistaken identity though as it is not his story to tell. If Thomas were to learn of what happened from Carol and he challenged Dante about it we have the scenario you have painted above. I believe @Wombat Bill has presented us with a moral dilemma. Fancy that.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..