Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,455 Words
  • 90 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes

CRYSTALLINE - 24. The Production Assistant

p style="text-align:center;">  afbb64b472bf8dbb0c72a445fa5f92a3.jpg 

After dinner, Lachlan and Thomas let the guests go their own ways and responding to a head gesture from Thomas, Lachlan headed for the office.

“Is it him?” asked Lachlan.

“Not you too?”

“I’m only enquiring for academic reasons, so I know how to manage the situation”

“I didn’t ask directly and nobody volunteered, but they are all in the TV production industry, so our suspicions are probably correct”

“Then what do we do?”

“There is not much we can do, other than keep the staff under control. We really can’t tell the other guests how to behave. He must have known he would be recognised so it’s up to him and his entourage to manage their own affairs”

“Yes, good thinking. Do you think the staff will be a problem?” asked Lachlan

“I’ve spoken to Cook and Carol and I’ll remind her to speak to Mia about discretion”

“So that just leaves my young waiters. They behaved ok during dinner service, but I’ll still give them a reminder” said Lachlan

Then the office phone rang.

“Thomas, Carol here we have a problem at the main house, can you come and help?”

“What sort of problem?”

“An unexpected guest has arrived and is demanding we let him in. Says he’s booked but I don’t have his name in the booking list”

“Ok, I’ll be right there”

The late arrival was accommodated when Roland was contacted and apologised for not including him on the original booking. He said it was a late decision for him to join their party.

***

Overnight Thomas was troubled by the situation of the famous guest, so he made a point of raising the issue privately with Roland after breakfast.

“Yes you are right, there’s no point beating around the bush. Our friend is Eden Monaro. I tried to tell him this was not a good idea, but he was insistent and in our company the stars rule. He wanted to come on his own, but our producer did not agree, so we were asked to accompany him and try to keep him out of trouble”

“And the guest that arrived later last night”

“Eden called him during dinner, when he realised there were so few other guests and, to put it in his words, nobody in my league”

“Do you mean he was expecting to pick up a sex partner here?”

“I think that was his plan”

“It may be none of my business, but was the late arrival a...professional”

“No nothing like that. We all know Riley, he’s part of our production team”

“Fine, forget I asked such a question”

“No problem really, I would probably think the same in the circumstances”

“Now I’m sure the other guests have recognised Eden, and I can’ do much about that. But rest assured all my staff will be discreet”

“Thank you for that, I appreciate your efforts. It is a very comfortable place you run here. I wish you all every success”

“Thank you, it’s good to hear, especially in such early days of this project”

“As you have been so understanding, I’d like to tell you how we come to be in this awkward situation with our star”

“There’s no need for that” Thomas lied.

“Just the same I’d like you to understand and who knows, if all goes well this weekend Eden may want to come back”

“Ok as long as you’re comfortable about it”

Roland went on to explain a little of the recent history of the production.

***

“It started quite by accident when there was a scene that required him to look just to the left of camera before the scene faded to a misty flashback. The Director of Photography, who is one of the best in the local industry, was thrilled with the shot and when he reviewed it with the director they both wondered how Eden had managed the look. Just between us, he is not one of the world’s greatest actors and gets by mainly because of his looks and sex appeal to young women, and I suspect some young men as well”

“There was a sparkle in his eyes that no one had seen before so the DOP called for all the stills that had been taken, around the set, on the day. By comparing the time-dated stills with the actual scene he determined that instead of staring into space for the shot, Eden had actually been staring at a young production assistant”

“The director had a word with the writer and they included another of his stares in the next episode, but Eden didn’t have the same sparkle in his eyes. The director called for another take but before that he put a young female production assistant near the camera directly in Eden’s line of sight for the shot. Bingo! There was that sparkle again, so a staring shot was included in each episode and it soon became Eden’s signature look”

“Production assistants come and go quickly on shoots as many of them are on work experience from various film and television schools. Even those that are employed directly are never full-time, they are on short term contracts. It didn’t take Hercule Poroit to work out Eden was seducing the young production assistants after hours. But once taken he moved on to the next sweet young thing that took his fancy. He took the casting couch to a new level”

“When the series with the stares was released, the ratings took off and social media fan sites were flooded with comments from adoring fans. Determined to keep these ratings high, the producers ensured there was a constant supply of young women available for Eden’s pleasure. This became the productions worst kept secret and everyone, except Eden, knew about the producer’s wishes and the director’s manipulation of his stars carnal desires”

“This went on for two series and a rota of young PAs became normal on the set. As long as the camera caught the sparkle in Eden’s eyes, the fans were happy and the producers were happy. Nobody really cared about the PAs emotional welfare as long as the ratings stayed high”

“As production manager I was responsible for employing PAs and knowingly or not I always had a new young woman for each episode. That was until one slipped through the vetting net at human resources in the same week I was off sick and my assistant, who apparently missed the memo about female PAs, chose a young male PA for the episode. This went unnoticed by the DOP and the director, because the sparkle was in Eden’s eyes and another perfect shot was in the can. However due to an error in video editing the scene was lost and had to be reshot a week later”

All was set up for the reshoot and just before the director called ‘Action’, Eden said ‘Stop someone’s missing’

‘Who?’ asked the director.

‘My line of sight focus point’

The director looked at the point beside the camera and without saying specifically what he was referring to said that all was as normal, and so it was. There was a new PA in the correct spot, directly where Eden was supposed to focus.

‘I don’t understand Eden’ said the director.

‘Where is he?’ asked Eden.

‘Who?’

‘Riley’

‘Who’s Riley’

‘My inspiration for this shot. I don’t just pull these performances out of my arse. I need my inspirational muse’

“The director ordered a thirty minute break, then put his arm over Eden’s shoulder and walked him to the dressing room where he asked Eden if Riley was the girl they used last week as PA”

‘No..that is yes...but Riley is a boy...no he’s more than that, he’s a man. The one I need to get me through the scene’

“Putting aside that Riley is male, you don’t usually become attached to any one in particular as long as you have a new focus point each episode”

“But I can’t do it today without Riley”

“Ok, I’ll have someone find Riley”

Riley was located on another production, so a limo was sent to fetch him. The director called for another scene to be set up over the lunch break and the stare scene was shot later in the night, after Riley’s arrival”

“And he has remained Eden’s muse since?” asked Thomas

“Yes, it was a surprise to us all at first. Eden has such a reputation as a ladies’ man, and a voracious appetite for young women”

“So if his secret gets out, how would that effect his acting reputation?”

“It would be disastrous, I don’t think there would be any way to spin it in a positive light. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not suggesting a gay actor can’t play straight parts. But we’re not talking about serious drama here. This is a soapie and the popularity of the show very much depends on the perceived qualities of the star. Young fans fall in love with the star because of what he represents”

“If there is any way we can help, just ask, Roland”

“There just may be, let me talk to the rest of our party and Eden of course and then I’ll get back to you. Is that ok?”

“In the meantime I’ll talk to the other guests. They’re all of mature years, so I am sure they will be understanding”

“Thanks Thomas, you’re a good man”

***

Thomas spoke to Jonathan and appraised him of the situation.

“What do you want to do about it? We not only have to consider the privacy of our guests but also the reputation of the resort”

“Yes, it’s a difficult situation. On one hand we have a duty maintain a guests desire for privacy, but equally, the other guests have a right to freedom of association while here”

“You said the other couples were older, would it help if I had a quiet word with them?”

“I was thinking along those lines, but rather than a private conversation, which might came across as a bit like us telling guests what to do, how about a lunch. I can arrange to have a private lunch with the two older couples, you, Lachlan and me. We’ll make it special for them and introduce the topic subtly”

“That’s why I employ you. Always have the answers”

***

Thomas had lunch served in the Wisteria Pergola at Crystalline and the other party lunched in the dining room at Arcobaleno.

Part way through lunch Max said “You do make us feel special, lunch with the owner and two managers. Obviously the other party are not being treated so well, despite, there being a famous one among them”

“I’m glad you mentioned that Max, it is a difficult situation and we would like to ask you for your co-operation” asked Jonathan

“Anything we can do”

“You are clearly aware of who our guest is and his reputation as an actor. Frankly I think he has made a big mistake, but in the interest of discretion and fairness, we believe we have a responsibility to limit any damage his action may cause to his reputation”

“Do you mean the possibility of him being outed?”

“Yes, exactly”

“Well you need not fear anything from us. I think all four of us know something about being in the closet and how difficult coming out is”

“And even dangerous, in our day” Charles added

“Yes my dear, that to, but not so much these days”

Jonathan said “Difficult and dangerous, I think are the possible consequences for that young man. Being outed could damage his whole career”

“Yes Jonathan I agree. I think I can speak on behalf of my beloved, and do you Roger and Conrad agree we keep mum about this weekend for the sake of this young man’s career”

“Fine with me” replied Conrad “Roger?”

“I’ll go along with the crowd, but I am a little uncomfortable about an actor building his career on a lie” Then as the others looked shocked, he held up a hand to stop them from speaking and added “However, there is only one person who can decide when someone should come out, and that person is not among us”

“Thank you gentlemen, I knew I could rely on you” Then as Jonathan raised his glass, he proposed “Here’s to sealed lips”

Thomas then added his thanks and said “I have a meeting with Roland this afternoon and will reassure him of what we have agreed here. Now, not promising anything, but I will ask him if his party will join us for drinks this evening, including Marty” he said with finger quotes. “Perhaps he will feel comfortable enough to be himself”

“I’m quite excited” said Roger “I am a big fan of his. Straight or gay, he’s still a good-looker”

The group laughed and continued their lunch with a new found bond between them.

***

When Max and Charles returned to their room after dinner, Max said “What a very pleasant evening this has been. You know I wasn’t expecting Eden to be so personable. He’s a very charming young man, and not self-absorbed as I would have thought before I met him”

“Maybe he felt comfortable among his own kind” suggested Charles

“You could be right on the money there. It may even be the first time he has socialised with people outside his immediate circle of friends”

“I do hope he treats Riley well. That was my only reservation, he did seem to let him stay in the background and didn’t really bring him into the conversation”

“I’m not sure how strong their relationship is and the kid is very young. He may not have felt comfortable among all us oldies”

“And even intimidated by the others. They are all senior to him in the TV business and Lachlan told me he wasn’t originally included in the party. Apparently Eden called him in when he realised there were only old farts, like us to choose from”

“Oh you still make me laugh, even after all these years, they way you say things”

“Well it’s the truth. How would you feel... in your mid twenties, you go to a gay resort looking for some action and instead of ‘chicken tonight’ you get offered ‘aged corned beef?”

When Max finally stopped laughing, he said “Bring that old beef over here and let me see if I can turn it into a juicy fillet steak”

“But I haven’t had my little blue helpers yet”

“Looks to me, like you may not need them tonight. All this talk of spring chicken has put some lead in your pencil”

*****

Next Chapter - Meet the flower people
Copyright © 2022 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 5
  • Haha 1
Please leave a comment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well, well, well.  Some things now make sense.

Eventually, Eden's secret will come out, but might not be in this story when it happens.

At the end of the previous chapter, @VBlew made an excellent point in the last comment on that chapter (at least, the last as I am writing this).  The other guests are indeed agreeing to be discreet.  I hope Patrick is one of the persons who has been included in the privacy discussions.

It would seem that Eden/Marky/Marty swings both ways.

I hope other CWB fans will weigh into this discussion.  Well done, @Wombat Bill.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Things are alot clearer about Eden now. I think his secret will eventually come out. If he's not treating Riley right, he'll get fed up and want to move on.

The guests and most of the staff are being discreet. I can see Patrick or Dante, fancy a quick rumble under the sheets with Eden.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

When reading of Eden's "casting couch" behaviour I could not but help think what the #MeTooMovement would have to say. If his acting career moves beyond being a soapie-star in his current role he may need to reconsider his behaviour. Given he appears to be bisexual, he has double cause to be concerned someone may take exception to being a one-time play thing. 

Thomas once again displayed why he is perfect for the role he is in. He is level-headed under pressure, genuine in his concern for all parties in any given situation and charming. He is an asset to Crystalline/Arcobaleno. 

Max and Charles have such a comfortable relationship; their rapport is enviable. They delighted me with “Well it’s the truth. How would you feel... in your mid twenties, you go to a gay resort looking for some action and instead of ‘chicken tonight’ you get offered ‘aged corned beef?” When Max finally stopped laughing, he said “Bring that old beef over here and let me see if I can turn it into a juicy fillet steak”.

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..