Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,324 Words
  • 95 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes

CRYSTALLINE - 30. Itazuradakedo ī

Very early on Sunday morning, Thomas returned from the police station, absolutely exhausted after spending the night waiting for news of Dante.

He staggered up the stairs to his flat and as he was about to open the door he heard a noise in the gym. As he entered, he startled Yashuki, who was doing chin ups and stopped mid lift to say “Hi, how are you?”

“I really don’t know, I’ve never had to deal with anything like this since....oh never mind”

“Is Dante with you?”

“No he’s been arrested and detained in custody”

“So what happened at the police precinct?”

“I really don’t know much, they won’t let me see him...well talk to him, I mean. I did see him as they took him down the corridor, in handcuffs”

“Fuck! that must have been awful”

“One of the worst things I’ve seen, but at least he has the best solicitor in town. Jonathan actually ordered Smidmore out of bed to go down to the station for the interview”

“Is Smidmore the lawyer?”

“Yes, the best, he and his people have been the Price family law firm for years. He’s a good man”

“Did he tell you anything?”

“Only that Dante’s been charged by the police and will go before a magistrate on Monday for formal charging”

“That’s not good. This is a strange business, I just can’t see Dante doing that. I thought those two were so close”

“I agree and he strongly denies it, but the police won’t tell me anything about their interview with him, so I don’t know his side of the story”

“I hope all turns out well, just ask if there’s anything I can do”

“How long are you going to hang in that half up, half down position?”

“Am I? Oh I hadn’t realised but it’s good for the biceps”

Thomas then sat on a bench, put his head in his hands and began to cry. Yashuki continued his lift then lowered his body and dropped to the ground. He went over to Thomas lifted him to his feet and hugged him. He could physically feel the sobbing vibrating through his body and said “Hey, let it out man. Have a damned good cry”

When Thomas stopped sobbing, he stepped back, looked Yashuki in the eyes and said “You’re very caring for a Japanese”

“Are we supposed to be not caring?”

“I didn’t mean it that way. I meant showing outward feelings...is not a trait of...am I getting myself in trouble here?”

“It doesn’t matter, just say whatever helps you feel better, I won’t take offence”

“Sorry I’m such a mess and in front of staff, not a great managerial look is it?”

“I’d like to think I could be more than staff, I could be a friend if you want. Patrick was also your friend, that’s why I got into that argument with Patrick”

“What argument?”

“Haven’t the police told you anything?”

“No, I don’t even know why Dante was arrested. I assume they think he had something to do with Patrick’s death, but that’s preposterous. I’ve never seen two brothers so close. It’s not something I really understand, being an only child, but I could see it whenever they were together” Thomas paused, then added “That is until recently”

“Patrick and I were arguing about Dante and I, because he thought I was coming between you and Dante”

“Why would he think that?”

“Now is probably not a good time to tell you this, but Dante and I had a few....meetings”

“You mean sex?”

“Yes sorry, it was only casual, I had no intention of coming between you two. I’m not looking for a permanent relationship. I suppose you’ll hate me now, especially at a time like this”

“I don’t know what to think, my brain is all over the place. All I care about is getting Dante released”

“Of course, we all want that” Yashuki concluded and pulled Thomas towards him. “Just relax and lean on my shoulder if you like”

After a minute or so, Thomas lifted his head from Yashuki’s shoulder, stood back one step and said “While I’m too tired to be angry with you, tell me about you and Dante?”

“Are you sure now is the right time”

“Yeah, while I’m numb to my emotions could be the best time”

“Before that, I want to assure you that what we did had nothing to do with Dante’s love for you. He even told me that”

“So why did he find it necessary to do it with you?”

“Did he ever tell you he likes having risky sex?”

“You mean without protection?”

“No, not that kind of risk. He likes doing it in the open where there’s a risk he’ll be caught”

“Why does he want to get caught?”

“It’s not that, it’s the risk heightens his enjoyment”

“Do you feel like that too?”

“Not necessarily, but I don’t mind”

“Now that I think about it, he did say something like that when we had sex on the beach at Mallacoota. Then there was that time he took me to some boulevard just off Windsor Road and hinted at having sex there”

“Brodrick boulevard?” asked Yashuki

“You know it? So you two....”

“Yes, sorry”

“Fuck, why don’t I feel angry about this. I must be tireder than I thought”

“Maybe you should get some sleep”

“Yes that’s what I need and when I wake up I’ll have the energy to kick your arse out of this place”

Yashuki walked Thomas to his bedroom, removed his shoes as he lay down and threw a blanket over him. As he was about to leave, Thomas said “Don’t go, I don’t want to be alone”

***

It was still early but most of the household was awake, or hadn’t really been able to sleep anyway.

Cook had spent the night in Carol’s room, nodding on and off in an arm chair. She woke every time Carol stirred or sniffed and cried a few times.

Beside Cook were three empty brandy balloons and an almost empty bottle of Hennessy XO.

Cook looked at the bottle and thought ‘Looks expensive, shame I don’t remember drinking it’

Cook crept out of Carol’s room, did a quick freshen up in her own room and went down to start breakfast for the staff.

***

Lachlan woke just after daybreak and said to Jonathan “Get up, we’ve got so much to do today”

“Like what, it’s Sunday isn’t it?”

“But not just any Sunday, have you forgotten we had a death here last night”

“Oh shit! What are we going to do about the guests?” asked Jonathan

“First thing is to get them fed, then check with the police and...fuck...I’ve got to get that CCTV disk to the cops this morning”

“First things first” replied Jonathan “We deal with the guests, mitigate the damage and then worry about the cops”

“Ok, I’ll go check on breakfast, you ring the cops to get permission for them to leave and then meet me in the dining room and we can explain to them. We’ll also have to assure them about some sort of compensation for this mess”

“Thomas can do that”

“I’m not even sure if Thomas is back here and even if he is, I doubt he’ll be in any condition to schmooze the guests”

“Ok, you’re the boss” conceded Jonathan

Lachlan then rummaged through his pockets, found what he was looking for and said “Here’s the detective’s card. Start with him”

 

While Lachlan was walking over to Arcobaleno his phone rang, which surprised him, given that it had been swimming the previous night. The screen didn’t show the caller ID as the screen was totally clouded “Yashuki here Lachlan, I’m rostered on breakfast service this morning but I’m comforting Thomas. He’s very shaken, can you get someone to cover for me”

“Where are you?”

“In Thomas’ flat, he’s trying to sleep but very restless”

“Good, you look after him, I’m just on my way to the dining room, I’ll sort it”

“Thanks, I’ll let you know how Thomas is later” concluded Yashuki

***

When Lachlan got to the staff quarters, most were up and getting ready for the day. He held an impromptu meeting in the corridor to inform them about the day’s duties and put Charlotte in charge of breakfast service to replace Yashuki.

“Just go about your duties as normal and if any of the guests ask about last night, just say you have no further information”

“Which is true” commented Vince “Since you haven’t told us anymore”

“Yes, you’re right of course. I’ll make an announcement during breakfast, when I find out the latest and when we get police permission for them to leave. Any questions?”

“What do we say if anyone asks about a refund?”

“Good point, just refer them to me. I’ll let them know when we work out what’s happening regarding refunds and such. Ok troops, go and defend the resorts reputation with your best service but say as little as possible”

 

Jonathan confirmed with Lachlan that the guests were free to leave and added “Get them out as soon as possible to avoid embarrassing questions”

“Can I offer them a full refund or a rebooking?” Lachlan asked on a crackly line

“Offer the rebooking first and the refund only if you get blowback. What’s wrong with your phone?”

“Waterlogged I think, have you got a spare?”

“There should be some old ones in my office, I’ll go look for you”

***

When Thomas woke he rolled over, saw Yashuki lying beside him and asked “What are you doing here?”

“You asked me to stay, so I thought I would rest as well”

“Oh yes, sorry” Thomas replied as he rubbed his head in the same manner as if he had a hangover.

“Do you want me to go now or can I get you some coffee?”

“Yes please, coffee and lots of it, would be great”

“Coming right up”

While Yashuki was getting the coffee, Thomas tried to unscramble all the confusion in his head.

Box one - Dante has been arrested.

Box two - he has legal help thanks to Jonathan.

Box three - Going to court on Monday... tomorrow?

Box four - why was Yashuki in my bed?... Comforting me?

Box five - What did he say about him and Dante?... Think about that later.

Box six - What’s next? Fuck I’m supposed to be working. Need to sort out the guests, lots of questions, can they leave? Get them out, refunds. Oh shit so much to do.

<>

While they were having their coffee, Thomas looked at Yashuki and said “Your hair looks good that way” then rubbed his fingers through the short jet black strands, “Your hair is so thick and stiff, like thousands of little erections on your head”

Yashuki laughed and replied “I’ve not heard it described that way before”

“And the shaved hair on the sides is so prickly” he added as he patted the sides of Yashuki’s head.

Thomas then smoothed Yashuki’s eyebrows and looked deep into his eyes while saying “Your eyes are so dark and deep, like mysterious bottomless pools that beckon one to jump in”

Yashuki was a bit confused as to where this was coming from, but assumed it was delayed shock and wondered where it would go.

Thomas than pressed Yashuki’s nose, and he said “Hey don’t press too hard it’s already flat enough”

“It’s a beautiful nose, not pointy like mine”

As Thomas ran a finger below Yashuki’s nose he said “Hey I can feel a few prickles there”

“Do you think I should grow a moustache?”

“No no no, you’d look like a Yakuza member”

“Oh you are so funny Thomas, no wonder Dante loves you so much”

“Yes, I almost forgot Dante” he replied as he pulled back “What am I doing?”

“Relaxing, enjoying yourself, no need to feel guilty. You’re just talking to a friend”

“But....” then Yashuki put his finger to Thomas’ lips and said “Nice soft lips and I believe you had just reached mine in your exploration of my face”

“Yes...lips...for talking...and...” but before Thomas could continue, Yashuki leaned in and briefly kissed Thomas gently.

“Mmm, thank you” said Thomas “Do you have a word in Japanese for naughty but nice?”

“Yes, but you’d not remember it, Itazuradakedo ī”

“You’re right, I won’t even try”

“But you could seppun me back”

“Does that mean kiss”

“Yes”

“I could remember that, seppun” he replied and kissed Yashuki gently, but a little longer than before.

“Hey your chin’s a bit stubbly, I thought Japanese men had almost hairless bodies”

“Almost is the word in my case, but not all Japanese men are like that”

“So where else do you have hair?”

“You’ll have to discover that for yourself, but some other time. Finish your coffee and we’ll go see if there’s any breakfast on offer, before I take you back to the police precinct”

***

The guests all got away without too much fuss, when Lachlan promised to contact them all personally, with details about compensation for their inconvenience. Jonathan farewelled each of them individually, by way of his contribution to smoothing over the wrinkles of the previous night.

Thomas was able to see Dante briefly in the presence of two police offers and a legal representative. He also took the CCTV footage to the police.

Carol spent the entire day in her room, occasionally visited by Cook and Nyamba.

Jonathan organised a staff get-together for a late lunch, with any staff who wanted to join in.

Guests who were due to check in Monday to Thursday were all emailed with advice that the pool would be unavailable due to technical difficulties. It was still cordoned off by police tape.

*****

Next Chapter - Dante appears in court, Meet Chelsea, The evidence board, A surprise massage.
Copyright © 2022 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Wow 3
  • Angry 3
Please leave a comment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

“I’d like to think I could be more than staff, I could be a friend if you want. Patrick was also your friend, that’s why I got into that argument with Patrick”. Argh, my skin crawled like it was covered in leaches when reading this. I don’t for a moment believe Yashuki’s offer was genuine; Yashuki was merely protecting Yashuki. His disclosure of his activities with Dante took me by surprise initially, but then I realised it is all part of his plan to appear as the honest, caring and genuine person who could not possibly have murdered Patrick. I call bullshit. He is manipulative, conniving, cunning and mercenary. I concur wholeheartedly with my learned CWB groupies @VBlew and @chris191070 in their assessment of his character. I look forward to @ReaderPaul's take on Yashuki's motives for his behaviour.

It would not surprise me though if you are leading us up the garden path again @Wombat Bill, encouraging our dislike of Yashuki, only to reveal that we your faithful readers have been far too harsh in our judgment of him, that he really is a pleasant young man. If this is the case, then you have masterfully manipulated us with relative ease. 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..