Jump to content
    Wombat Bill
  • Author
  • 2,484 Words
  • 96 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
May contain graphic sex scenes

CRYSTALLINE - 38. Coffee and Confession

When Murphy returned with coffee, Smith said “Gee this is the first time I’ve had coffee at confession. Maybe you should install a coffee machine in the church, could be a good money maker”

Murphy laughed and added “Coffee and Confession, has a good ring to it”

“Can I continue now Father?”

“Please do, before I grow too much older”

“What?”

“Never mind, just a silly joke”

“I don’t get it, can you exlain?”

“They’re not funny, if you have to explain them”

“Ok, now where was I?”

“A little further advanced than the last time you asked me. I think your target was wandering around the pool after switching off the CCTV”

“Oh you’ve really got the lingo Father”

“Thank you, now continue”

“Sure...since the cameras were off I thought I might step into the area and get to know this guy a bit more, while I figured out how to snuff him out.

‘Not joining the crime solvers?’ he asked me.

‘No, not my kinda thing, what about you?’ I asked

‘I’m working, well sort of. Don’t really expect anyone to go swimming tonight, just keeping an eye out no one falls in the pool accidently’

‘I suppose that can happen when there’s grog involved’

‘Precisely and I expect they’ll be running all over the place, looking for clues, as soon as the body is discovered’

‘Have you worked here long?’ I asked

‘About six months, my brother has been here longer, he’s the gardener’

Mmm, gardener I thought, he must have lots of dangerous items that could become weapons. I’ll keep that in mind for when his turn comes.

‘What’s your brother’s name, I might have met him?’ I asked

‘Dante, but I doubt you’ve met him or you would remember, we’re identical twins’

‘Ah that could be confusing’ I said and thought, makes no difference to me, I’m gonna get both of ya in the end. Don’t care about the order. He then wandered off to his little shed, so I left, but I hadn’t got far when I heard raised voices again, so I hid behind some shrubs and watched. I couldn’t believe my eyes when another fight broke out. This time it must have been with his brother, couldn’t tell ‘em apart. There were fists and feet flying every which way”

Smith paused to take a sip of his coffee and said “Not a bad drop, surely that didn’t come from this shit hole”

“No, I went to the cafe next door, seemed to be full of police getting coffee. So what happened then?” asked Murphy, whose interest raised now that the conversation had turned from confession to solving a murder mystery.

“Oh yeah, the fight...you wouldn’t believe what happened next. One of them jumped into the air and kicked the other one in the chest, you know like them Thai kick boxers, he was. Anyway the pool guy falls to the ground, on the edge of the pool and other just walks off. I waited a few minutes to see if he got up, but he didn’t move a muscle so I went over to check. Sort of half hoping he might have done my job for me, but that would have been disappointing in a way. Anyway when I got to him I could feel a pulse. Learned to do that in the clink, always fights there, with guys being knocked unconscious, so they taught us to check for, signs of life they called it. I preferred to be checking for signs of death. Anyway, I’ll be buggered if I wasn’t surprised to find a pulse, but eyes closed. Think quickly Rodney, I said to myself, use this to your advantage. Then it came to me, all I had to do was roll him into the pool, make sure he was face down and Bob’s ya uncle. He would drown”

Smith paused and bowed his head. Murphy thought this was a sign of remorse, but it was just Smith’s theatrical way of ensuring he had Murphy’s full attention before he said “I did it, a gentle nudge and he even rolled into the pool, already face down”

He then looked up to ensure he was being listened to. “As I scampered away, I thought how fitting it was that a lifeguard should drown in his own pool”

Smith then laughed ghoulishly and Murphy put his hand on Smith’s head, in a fatherly way and said “You need to repent for your sin my son and beseech God’s forgiveness for taking the life of one of his flock. This is a grievously sinful act you have perpetrated”

Smith fell to his knees and bowed his head in anticipation of Murphy’s forgiveness. But it was not immediately forthcoming. Murphy put his hand under Smith’s chin, lifted his head and said “My son, I want you to look me in the eye and tell me you are truly sorry and remorseful for your sinning”

“But I’ve already confessed it all to you”

“Confession is not just a box ticking exercise, you cannot be absolved of your sin unless...”

Murphy paused, this time, to ensure he had Smith’s full attention, who looked pleadingly at his confessor and said “Father, tell me what I can do to make this right”

“As well as being remorseful for your past sins, you must solemnly vow not to do it again. Can you do that, given you have already indicated you wish to punish the surviving brother as well?”

Smith did not answer.

***

Fraser had, earlier asked the lock-up officer to notify him when the priest had finished with Smith and ask him to wait.

“Good afternoon Father Murphy. I’m Detective Jack Fraser”

“Was it you who arrested Rodney Smith?”

“Yes and I am wondering if you have any information to share with me”

“In regard to my parishioner and our discussion, the answer is no. I’m sure you’re aware of the Catholic code of the seal of the confessional”

“Of course, and I wouldn’t dream of asking you to break that code. However, you were with him all afternoon, so it can’t have all been under the seal of the confessional”

“Nice try Fraser, but my answer is still the same. All of our conversation is confidential”

“I understand and I won’t detain you any longer” As Murphy was about to leave, Fraser added... “unless...”

“Yes?” Murphy questioned.

“I was thinking with a name like Brendan Murphy, you must have an Irish background”

“Yes, of course, but many generations back. and Fraser must make you a descendant of the Scottish, men of the forest”

“Very good, you know your history of names” complimented Fraser.

“Thank you, but why this interest in the derivation of our names?”

“Oh yes, I got a bit sidetracked. I wanted to know if you would like to join me for Guinness or maybe a wee nip of whiskey, Irish or Scottish. I’m sure the Irish pub down the road has both... my shout”

“Thanks all the same, but Smith has kept me so long, I’m way behind with my parish visits today”

“Maybe some other time, then?”

“Your invitation is kind, but even a few whiskeys won’t loosen my tongue”

“Such a thought never entered my mind”

“If you were of the faith, I might suggest you needed to attend confession after that”

They both laughed, shook hands and Murphy turned to leave, then turned back and said “You need to gather all the evidence you can to ensure your suspect, whoever that might be, faces the justice as demanded by state law. People like that should not be allowed to commit yet another similar offence. But you don’t need me to tell you how to do your job, do you?”

“A pleasure to have met you Murphy”

“May God’s blessings be with you in your work” Murphy concluded.

***

Smith was charged before a court the following day and remanded in custody till a trial date was set.

Patrick’s body was released by the coroner so the family could arrange a funeral.

Despite the Italian and Irish backgrounds, Dante decided not to have a religious funeral ceremony, instead opting for a civil celebrant, cremation and a wake at Crystalline. While Thomas, Lachlan and other staff set about the arrangements, Dante decided his main contribution would be to tell his mother and see if she wanted to attend. Firstly, he met with her doctors, who were of the opinion that she could cope with the news but were concerned that she had not seen or spoken to either of her sons for eight years. It was decided that her counsellor, Andrew Jenkins, would speak to her first, about meeting with Dante, but not tell her the reason.

Dante waited in the visitors’ lounge until he received the news that she was willing to meet him.

“She seemed genuinely interested in seeing you” said Jenkins “That’s a positive sign. I’m pleased about that”

“Me too, but I’m still nervous after all this time”

“Understandable, under the circumstances. Would you like me to attend the meeting with you?”

“Yes please, I don’t know how she will react after all this time”

“Ok, you wait here a little longer while I arrange a meeting room”

 

Fifteen minutes later Jenkins took Dante to meet his mother. He didn’t rush to hug her, he just said “Hello Mum, how are you?”

“I’m fine and you”

“Not too bad really. Do you know who I am?”

“Yes you’re Patrick. Sorry I didn’t write to you, but I kept all your letters”

Dante looked at Jenkins for direction.

“Patricia, this is your son Dante. Your sons are twins, is that right?”

“Do I have two sons?”

“Yes Mum, I’m Dante”

“Dante, yes I remember now. I never could tell you apart. You have grown up so much. Does Patrick still look the same as you? Why didn’t he come with you?”

“That’s what I’ve come to tell you. Patrick can’t come to visit”

“Is he busy...no, now I remember, I think he went to Italy, didn’t he?”

“Yes, that’s so Mum, but he’s not there now”

Dante was finding it hard to find the right words and kept looking towards Jenkins for direction.

“Patricia, Your son has come to give you some news. Unfortunately it is not good news”

“Oh that’s all right. I would like to have seen Patrick, but if he can’t come, that’s allright. I understand young men are busy leading their lives, work and chasing girls and all that. Is Patrick married yet?”

“No Mum, he’s not married”

“Wait, now I remember...you and Patrick are different, aren’t you? You both like boys. In fact it’s now becoming clearer...you two like each other. I think there’s a name for that, but I can’t remember it just now” Patricia looked at Jenkins and asked “What do you call it when two brothers have sex with each other”

“Mum, we don’t do that anymore. Patrick was never gay, just me”

“So why isn’t he married?”

“Um...Mum I have to tell you that Patrick....” Dante just couldn’t bring himself to say the words he needed to say, so just said “...Patrick had a girlfriend”

“Oh that’s nice, but you said had, did they break up? No worry... what is it they say at times like that...I remember now, there are plenty of fish in the sea. Silly saying really, who wants to marry a fish, unless you’re a mermaid” Patricia giggled at her own joke, then added “Give him my best wishes will you and tell him to keep writing, one day I’ll read all the letters, when I have time”

“Yes, of course Mum”

Dante then shrugged his shoulders at Jenkins and waited for him to take over the conversation. But before he could, Patricia put out her hand to shake with Dante. “Oh...yes” was all he could muster and put out his hand also. As they shook gently, Patricia said “Thanks for coming, but I’ve got to go now, lots of things to attend to. They keep me very busy here”

Jenkins got up to follow Patricia and as he was leaving said to Dante “Please wait here, I’ll be back”

***

“So how was it seeing your mother after all this time?” asked Thomas.

Dante didn’t answer immediately, so Thomas let him think through his answer, then he finally replied “Confusing”

“Did she not remember you, was she confused?”

“Not really, but strange thing was, she kept asking about Patrick never asked me about my life”

“I suppose that’s understandable, given the news you told her”

“But I didn’t tell her about Patrick’s death”

“What! ...Isn’t that why you went to see her?”

“Of course, but I just couldn’t do it. She just kept blabbering on about Patrick and letters and why he wasn’t married. I couldn’t do it, I wimped out and then she just said goodbye and left”

“Fuck, what are you going to do now?”

“Have no bloody idea at all”

“What did her carers say you should do?”

“Not much, he accompanied her back to her room, than came back and told me, it was best not to force the news upon her at this time”

“So, she won’t be coming to the funeral then?”

“Fuck! I can’t just bury Patrick without her knowing and then tell her later”

“What other options do you have?”

“Buggered if I know” concluded Dante.

“You said something about letters”

“Yeah, I asked her counsellor about that and he told me she had a stack of letters from Patrick”

“That’s a good sign, them keeping in touch”

“Not exactly, she never opened any of them and said she didn’t reply”

“But she kept the letters anyway?” asked Thomas

“Don’t fully understand that”

“Maybe it’s a sign that although she didn’t want contact with either of you, she still couldn’t let go. The letters were at least some connection, even if not read”

“You could be right” added Dante

“Motherhood is a very strong bond, probably the strongest of human feelings. Even when bad stuff happens, the subconscious connection survives the conscious emotions”

“You should be a counsellor, you understand people so well. Come here and give me a big hug”

Thomas was all in for the hug and when they separated, he said “We’ve got a funeral to arrange”

“I know and I’m relying on you to do most of that, but there is something else we need to discuss while just the two of us here” said Dante as he held up two fingers, then a third.

“Can we leave that until after the funeral?” Thomas asked

“And continue to all share a bed, in the meantime?”

“Is that an immediate problem?”

“I suppose not” concluded Dante.

*****

Next Chapter -Next Chapter - Friend or Foe.
Copyright © 2022 Wombat Bill; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Love 3
  • Wow 2
Please leave a comment.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dante is a confusing person.  I think he is upset that Yashuki is now into his relationship with Thomas, but also showing some of the confusion Patricia has in relation to her sons.  Yet he has been perfectly willing to cheat on Thomas. 

I still do not trust Yashuki.

I have to stop commenting now.  Too much physical pain has hit me this morning.

  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 3
Link to comment

The Catholic code of the seal of the confessional. What a fucking joke, except it is not funny. A business which believes it has some sort of moral authority, the same business renowned world-wide for its employees molestation of children (and often blaming them for said molestation), and in many countries where it still thrives, ongoing anti-semitism and homophobia.

I am intrigued as to why Patricia appears to remember Patrick but not Dante. Is it because he had the Irish name, the male equivalent of her own, or is it because he identified as heterosexual for the most part, or is it because he wrote letters to her, which although they apparently remain unopened, perhaps left an indelible mark on her psyche? I doubt we will ever know. 

An interesting comment from @ReaderPaul that Dante is showing some of the confusion of his mother. He could well be correct, which might not bode well for Dante's future mental health. 

I have refrained from commenting on Yashuki in the past couple of chapters, but as @ReaderPaul has commented, I shall release myself from this torturous abstinence to agree with my learned friend. I bear Yashuki no kind sentiments at all.

I hope your physical pain is easing/has disappeared @ReaderPaul. I could suggest a relaxing sojourn at Crystalline, but you would likely leave in greater pain at present due to the wretched weather we are experiencing in Sydney this year. We have had 2,360mm or 93 inches of rain to date this year. Mould abounds across Sydney, in fact much of the eastern seaboard of Australia. La Nina has paid us more visits than Cher and Elton John have undertaken "farewell tours".

 

 

Edited by Summerabbacat
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 10/4/2022 at 3:04 PM, ReaderPaul said:

Dante is a confusing person.  I think he is upset that Yashuki is now into his relationship with Thomas, but also showing some of the confusion Patricia has in relation to her sons.  Yet he has been perfectly willing to cheat on Thomas. 

I still do not trust Yashuki.

I have to stop commenting now.  Too much physical pain has hit me this morning.

Take care 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..