Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,455 Words
  • 1,899 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Brothers - 18. Chapter 18

DEVYN

 

Devyn could smell his brother before he even reached the room. The wolf inhaled deeply, relaxing in Jason’s musky scent as he tried to unwind from nearly an hour of staring at hands, trying to read signs that seemed impossible to make.

The neko crossed the room silently, sitting next to Devyn, and the wolf let out the tiniest whimper, the stench of Jason’s sweat nearly overwhelming. It was going to be hard for the wolf to focus, and he wondered how he was supposed to get through this semester if Jason was going to smell this good after second period.

Huffing quietly, Devyn dropped his head to his desk, staring forlornly at Miss Carla. The elf was already handing out sheets, a drawing of a brain on the paper. Devyn understood the point of taking the class, but he still didn’t like having to deal with the homework the elf always seemed ready to hand out.

Beside him, Jason clicked a pen, the neko already starting to fill out lines on the paper he had been given. Devyn frowned at his brother, wondering why he was going ahead. What was he going to do with the rest of the class time? The bell to start third period hadn’t even chimed yet.

Jason glanced back at Devyn curiously, motioning toward a notebook, and the wolf grunted quietly. There was no way he could get his fingers around a pen to write. And even if he could, the writing would be so bad he wouldn’t be able to read it afterward.

The neko frowned, pulling out his phone. He thumbed over the screen briefly, opening an app before setting it on the edge of his desk. As the bell finally chimed, Jason hit a button on the screen, the phone flashing with a brief light before falling dark again. The neko motioned toward the phone and then to his ears, Devyn trying to figure out exactly what his brother was doing.

There was a sudden thump, a book landing on Jason’s desk, and the two startled. Carla stood over the neko’s desk, a frown on her face.

“Welcome to class, Mister Farin. You have a lot of ground to make up already,” she said.

Jason scooted a small stack of paper toward her, the elf frowning as she picked them up. His hands signed, but Carla didn’t seem to understand.

“Or perhaps your brother already taught you all you need to know,” she muttered, turning back to the front of the room. “Phones are not allowed out in class.”

Devyn shrugged at her retreating back, glancing over at Jason. The neko’s ears were folded, Jason glaring a hole into the elf’s back as he slipped his phone under the desk. Looking around, Devyn realized for the first time that most of the class were elves. He was one of two humans, and Jason was the only neko present. It awakened him to a smell he had been trying to repress, a scent of anger as eyes looked over Jason. This was not a safe place for his brother.

He didn’t get it. School was supposed to be the one place where he could escape anger, but even here he couldn’t get away from the scent. It hadn’t been this bad on Urdya, but Jason couldn’t be the reason. This was his first day at school and there was no way he could have made this many enemies.

“Someone better call the cat medic,” an elf smirked, the whispered words carrying clearly to the brothers, and Jason’s claws extended, the neko taking a deep breath.

The name sounded familiar to Devyn, and the wolf tried to figure out where he had heard it. Dylan had mentioned something, somewhere, but Devyn couldn’t remember what the neko had said.

“Picking up from our discussion on Varya, does anyone recall why the elven hippocampus tends to be larger than in those of other races?” Carla asked.

There was the brief sound of scribbling from Jason, the neko’s hand slapping a paper on Devyn’s desk as his hand shot up. The wolf frowned at the paper, pulling it out carefully before trying to decipher Jason’s handwriting.

“Mister Farin?”

Jason motioned toward Devyn, the wolf frowning.

“Be… Because of age?” he read uncertainly.

“I was speaking to your brother,” Carla said sharply.

“He can’t talk,” Devyn replied.

“Then he shouldn’t act like he can. The hippocampus has evolved in elves to aid in storing more memories, as a way to fit two hundred years of life.”

Beside Devyn, Jason scooped up his notebook, shoving it furiously into his bag. Frowning, Devyn grabbed his bag as the neko stood up, following his brother toward the door. He kicked at a foot that tried to trip the neko, glaring at an elf that meowed at them.

The door to the classroom closed with a wholly unsatisfying click, Jason standing still in the hall as he took deep breaths. Devyn grabbed the neko’s hand, ignoring the razor sharp claws that threatened to cut his arms open. Pulling his brother against him, the wolf embraced the neko, Jason burying his face into Devyn’s shoulder as he shook. Devyn could feel the rage pouring from Jason, and that he could understand.

“She doesn’t know what she’s talking about,” the wolf said quietly.

Jason pulled away with a sigh, stabbing at his phone. He started walking and Devyn followed in confusion, his cane tapping through the hall quietly.

“Where are we going?”

The neko shrugged, his feet carrying him seemingly at random. He paused for a moment, looking around before turning around and walking with purpose. Devyn raced after him, the wolf’s hackles raising as he realised they were heading toward the WolfRoom.

“I don’t want to go in there,” he protested.

Jason held up his phone, as if that was going to change Devyn’s mind. Devyn already knew he was following Jason wherever. He still wasn’t happy about going into the room though.

 

JASON

 

Five sets of eyes turned on Jason as the door opened, the neko shivering as he entered the wolves’ den. It was the only place he could think of going. Dr. Marin had been nice, and he didn’t seem to have the issues many others had. Jason knew he could trust the werewolf. But entering this room still made him erupt in nerves.

“Good morning Jason,” Marin smiled, catching a ball one of the wolves tossed to him. “Devyn. Is everything okay?”

Jason shrugged, looking at the wolves. His ears flattened, the neko leaning against the door as he felt his body weaken.

“Here, why don’t you two take a seat in the far bed, okay?”

Marin took Jason’s arm, leading him carefully toward the wolf bed as Devyn followed closely. Letting the neko sink into the soft bedding, Marin returned to his own seat.

“Go ahead and get settled. If you need to talk, just let me know,” he said, before turning back to the wolves.

Devyn patted Jason’s head awkwardly before heading toward a side room. Jason felt the icy claws of fear grip him as his brother left him with the werewolves, but he tried to settle himself, looking at the people around him. They weren’t any different than him, or Devyn. He shouldn’t be scared of them at all.

“Summer, to answer your question, yes, it is possible, and even common, for scent markers to change. You don’t go through the day in a vacuum, and each action can affect the layers of scent on you. But more than that, your emotions can affect the markers as well. Some days you have more adrenaline in you. Like on days when you have a big test,” Marin said, turning back to the werewolves.

A red wolf re emerged from the side room, padding silently over to Jason. Devyn dropped into the bed beside his brother, curling up around the neko protectively as his eyes scanned the room.

“Devyn, calm down please,” Marin said, his nose wrinkling as he glanced at the wolf. “This is a safe space, no one is going to hurt Jason.”

Jason let out a quiet breath, trying to release the tension he felt. He was probably making things worse with Devyn and he needed to calm down too.

The neko pulled out his phone again, opening the transcribing app on his phone. His thumb pressed against the last file, fingers copying the conversation before pasting it into a message to Devyn. He prayed to Lumara that it would be unnecessary, that Marin would be able to help, but it wouldn’t be the first time the neko had misjudged someone.

A cup of warm tea was set next to him, an elf smiling uncertainly.

“Hey, I’m… I heard the news, and I bet there are a lot of people angry with you,” he said. “I don’t blame you though.”

Jason frowned at the elf and the tea, cautiously taking the offered cup.

“You… You do know what happened, right?”

He shook his head, eyes closing as he sipped at the lemon tea.

“King Finley pardoned the Elfslayer today. Free of all charges.”

Jason choked on his tea, his eyes flying open in horror. He set the cup down, coughing violently.

“Yeah, that was my reaction,” another werewolf said.

The neko’s hands typed furiously, his phone droning out a single word.

“Why?!”

The elf shrugged.

“Because he’s a racist bastard?” he said bluntly.

“Erith!” Marin scolded loudly.

“It’s true,” the elf said defensively. “His entire guard is made of nekos. He pardoned a neko who put the heads of her victims on spikes. If she was an elf, she’d be dead, and rightfully so.”

“He is still our king,” Marin said.

“Not for long. I hear there’s a push from his council to make his daughter queen early. She’s much more level headed,” Erith said.

“A human ruler would help,” Jason typed hesitantly, scanning the room warily.

“Perhaps a werewolf?” someone mentioned. “I heard she had a werewolf lover. Prince Zaddis, may Zasar guide his soul, seemed to help King Finley stay somewhat balanced.”

“Lies,” another wolf dismissed. “People want to make her all romantic. Mark my words, even as a queen she won’t take a consort. Besides, she’s barely seventeen.”

The bell chimed suddenly, interrupting the discussion to Jason’s relief. Discussing the royal family was never pleasant in his experience.

“You’re on the track team, right?” Erith asked as the other wolves hurried from the room.

Jason nodded, standing up carefully around Devyn. The wolf was rumbling quietly, a warning to the elf, and the neko was grateful for his brother’s protection.

“Cool. I might try to catch the game this weekend,” the elf said. “I’ll see you around.”

The neko frowned as Erith hurried from the room, leaving him alone with Devyn and Marin.

“So, what brings you two to the wolf’s lair?” Marin asked with a tiny chuckle. “You seemed really upset.”

Jason handed over his phone, hitting a button. Marin frowned as he listened to the recording from Carla, Devyn growling quietly as the conversation was replayed.

“This is unacceptable. I’m sorry Jason, I wasn’t aware there was such blatant racism in the school. I promise I’ll take care of it,” the werewolf said. “What class do you have next?”

‘Advanced Rellanic,” Jason signed.

“Okay. I’m going to send you and Devyn home early. Do you know what class Dylan Ethis is in?”

‘I think he’s taking Ceramics,’ Jason replied.

“Thanks. You and Devyn need to wait in here. I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

The werewolf left the room, making sure the door was closed behind him. Jason went into the side room curiously, finding stacks of clothes set on shelves and Devyn’s clothes laying over the floor. He gathered the wolf’s clothes up, shoving them into his bag before grabbing Devyn’s cane. Returning to the main room, the neko dropped back into the wolf’s bed, Devyn instantly starting to lick the back of his neck.

Jason squirmed under the wolf’s licking, the soft rasping and hot breath sending feelings coursing through him that he was not ready to deal with in school. He pushed at Devyn’s nose, the wolf whimpering as his treat was taken away. Grabbing Devyn’s bag, Jason dug through it, grabbing one of the last pieces of jerky that had fallen to the bottom of the bag. He brushed it off, before tossing it to the wolf. The whimpering cut off quickly as Devyn attacked the squid, tiny growls slipping from the wolf as he enjoyed the new prize.

The door opened, Dylan squeezing into the room uncertainly. The neko’s locked eyes, the calico questioning him silently.

‘We’re being sent home. The Elfslayer was pardoned,’ Jason signed.

Dylan’s eyes widened, the neko shuddering at the news as Marin entered behind him.

“Okay you three, do you have anyone you can call to come pick you up?”

“Father,” Dylan said instantly. “He could get all three of us.”

‘I think Richard went to another interview. I’m not sure how to get a hold of him,’ Jason signed.

“Go ahead and call your father Dylan,” Marin said.

Dylan was already dialing, an earbud pressing into his ear as he held the phone in front of him. Someone knocked on the door, Marin sticking his head outside to talk to a small group of werewolves who were gathering in front of the door.

“No. I need you to come get us. Jason, Devyn, and me. No, he’s wolfed out. Okay, I’ll tell him. We’re waiting in the WolfRoom.”

He slipped the phone into his pocket, looking at Devyn.

“We don’t have wolf belts, you need to shift,” the calico said.

Devyn sneezed, his nose knocking into Jason’s shoulder. The neko set a hand on his brother’s head, scratching his ear gently. Nudging his brother toward the closet, Jason carried his clothes and his cane back into the room, waiting for the wolf to shift back.

 

DEVYN

 

He dressed quickly, not wanting Jason out of his sight longer than necessary. The way people were talking, his brother was in danger, and Devyn would not let that stand. No one was going to hurt Jason.

Pushing out of the room with his cane, the wolf wobbled slightly, trying to figure out how he was supposed to protect Jason when he could barely walk.

“Devyn, don’t worry, nothing’s going to happen,” Marin said. “This is just a precaution.”

“I’m still not letting anyone touch either of them,” the wolf said.

“Devyn, the thought is appreciated, but you can’t even walk without a cane. Just sit this one out okay? We’ll get to the car just fine; we’re walking through a school, not a shooting range,” Dylan chuckled.

The bell chimed around them, Marin taking a moment to check the halls.

“Okay, there should be no one in the halls. Be safe you three,” he said, shooing them out of the room as the other werewolves entered.

Devyn grabbed Jason’s hand, pulling his brother along. He ignored the stares from the other wolves, nudging Dylan ahead of him with his cane as he walked. His cane echoed through the halls as they walked, seeing only a few stragglers on their way to the exit. The wolf let out a relieved breath as they escaped the building, pulling Jason toward a bench. The neko went along with his brother, tail flicking uneasily as he sat on the bench.

Devyn took a seat between Jason’s legs, head leaning back into his brother’s crotch as he watched the area warily. The smell of sweaty neko hit him full force, his groin stirring, but the werewolf ignored it. He didn’t have time to deal with the whole mate issue right now.

A car horn honked, startling the three of them. Devyn’s eyes tracked a tan car down the street, the vehicle turning into the car park before pulling to a stop in front of them. He’d been told the car was actually red, his eyes just couldn’t see it properly. That didn’t matter though. All that mattered right now was Jordan sitting in the driver seat.

Dylan stepped forward, opening the front door. He slid into the car, frowning as he saw Jason hanging back.

“Hey, you okay?”

The other neko shrugged, Devyn taking his arm gently.

“Come on, you can still pet me,” Devyn muttered, pulling his brother into the back seat of the car.

“Hey Devyn, do you need help buckling?” Jordan asked.

The wolf snorted, shaking his head as he remembered he was supposed to behave like a human.

“No.”

He pulled at the flat rope, glaring at it as the belt got stuck. Jason leaned across him, fingers pushing Devyn’s hand away so the neko could fix the belt. With a jarring click, the wolf was buckled in, Jason repeating the act with his own belt. A hand gripped Devyn’s, the neko taking a deep breath to settle himself.

With a lurch, the car shot into motion, Jason letting out a silent scream. His fingers squeezed around Devyn’s hand, the wolf wincing.

“Father, can you slow down a bit?” Dylan asked, the calico glancing at Jason in the mirror.

“Huh? I’m not going that fast,” Jordan frowned.

But the car slowed slightly, the ride smoothing out as he turned down a narrow street.

“Are we taking you two home, or do you want to head to the pack house?” Jordan added, glancing in the mirror.

“Pack house,” Devyn said instantly.

“Are you sure?” Dylan asked. “I would have thought you’d want to get Jason home.”

The wolf looked at his brother, Jason shrugging at him.

“No, I think Jason wants to look around some. It’s safe there, right?”

“Oh yeah. We’re all wolves, we tend to keep people politics down low, as long as people don’t try to collar us,” Jordan shrugged.

“I still can’t believe that law passed,” Dylan scowled. “So much for finding a place to live off pack grounds.”

Beside Devyn, Jason’s hands moved, the wolf trying to read them. He got lost in the first few gestures, but he thought he saw something about an eye?

“About two years ago, King Finley decided all werewolves had to register with the city they live in,” Dylan scowled. “So now if they want a job, they have to tell their employers. If they want to live somewhere, they have to warn the neighbourhood. Assuming people will rent to them.”

“It’s supposed to be a way to keep people safe. But anti-wolf groups have gone crazy with the idea, trying to cram more and more details into the law,” Jordan growled. “Fuck, these days you could hit a wolf with your car and as long as they were in wolf form it would be no different than hitting a dog. And trying to throw a party in a park? Forget about it. They won’t even let the Howlers perform for free in Elias Park anymore.”

Devyn could feel Jason’s disgust, the neko’s fur puffing out as he contemplated this new information. The wolf didn’t really care if he had to register. So he had to go to the city guard every other month and stand in a long line. It gave him an excuse to get out of the house. Though far too often Margaret went with him. It honestly ruined a trip outside when the entire reason to go alone came with him.

Jason’s hands signed again, Dylan letting out a long sigh.

“We… we really don’t know. He wasn’t like this with Prince Zaddis. Fuck, everyone knows the Royal Consort was a werewolf himself.”

“Yeah, but gods forbid you suggest Prince Zaddis changed the king.” Jordan added, rolling his eyes. “Personally, I think it was Lumara’s priests. They’re a mixed bunch, claiming the moon blessed us in one breath, cursing us with the next. King Finley was obviously given the cursed theory.”

“Yeah, but it makes no sense. Why would he make a werewolf the Royal Consort if he believed werewolves were cursed?” Dylan pointed out.

“The Mate Laws were around before he was king.” Jordan shrugged. “I’m not sure even a royal can escape them.”

Mate Laws. Devyn was getting sick of hearing about them. He glanced at Jason, wondering what the neko would say if he knew Dr. Marin thought they were fated. Not that it mattered. Devyn loved his brother, but he couldn’t love his brother like that. Well, he could, and he honestly wouldn’t mind, but he just knew his mother would throw a huge fit if she found out.

I would like to thank one of my friends for helping me flesh out King Finley as a youth, and for allowing to make Prince Zaddis canon. Sorry for killing your character.
Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 12
  • Angry 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Even when Margaret is not present, she still creates a lot of negativity for Devyn.  Why can't he find love with his mate if Jason wants it also. 

Elves in a pack school that are racists and hate minority students??? The school needs to look at its screening and hiring processes.  Big elven brains? Remember it is not the size that counts, but how you use the...brain.  In the case of the elven teacher, I doubt she uses it much at all.  Maybe she can make friends with Margaret.  They must have a lot in common.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

Props on the hippocampus stuff, makes perfect sense to the psychologist. I wonder if it translates to better spacial memory in elves too - they'd likely rarely forget where they left their car keys!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..