Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 3,291 Words
  • 2,130 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Brothers - 21. Chapter 21

JASON

 

He could get his voice back. Jason couldn’t believe it. Ten years of silence could end just like that. A couple days of healing, and he would be talking again.

“I don’t care! He’s my son and I want to see him!”

And just like that, his happy thoughts vanished. Jason recoiled back against the wall as the door to the room opened again, Devyn stepping in front of him with a snarl. Margaret pushed through the door, hurrying toward the neko.

“You shouldn’t have rolled your eyes at me! I didn’t mean to hurt you!” she exclaimed.

Devyn stepped between them, a loud growl in his throat. Jason curled into himself, his ears folding back for protection

“Devyn, stop growling. I’m not going to hurt him. You don’t have to act like i’m going to kill you Jason.”

Lysander followed her through the door, Richard behind him. The elf grabbed Margaret’s shoulder, pulling her away from the bed.

“You cannot be in here,” Lysander said.

“I’m his mother, and they said his parents could see him,” Margaret snapped.

“No, you need to get out of here,” Richard denied. “You’ve gone too far.”

“Enough Richard. This is ridiculous Lysander, he needs me-”

“Margaret!”

The entire room flinched as Richard raised his voice.

“I said get out.”

Margaret glared at Richard, shaking her head. Pulling free from Lysander’s grip, she stormed past Richard, stepping out of the room.

“We’ll talk about this later-”

“No. We won’t,” Richard said. “I want you out of the house by tonight.”

His voice trembled slightly, but the man held firm, staring the werewolf down.

“You can’t kick me out. I’m your mate. I claimed you,” Margaret growled.

“I’m denying your claim. Go fuck up someone else’s life. You will not hurt my family any longer.”

“They’re my children too!”

“Really? Because you never seem to care about them like they’re your children. You just parade us around like the perfect family, just so you can look good. I’m done letting you take advantage of us. Now get the fuck out of here.”

The werewolf growled at the man, storming away, and Richard let out a heavy sigh.

“I’m proud of you Richard,” Lysander said quietly.

Jason stood up cautiously, crossing the room to put an arm around the man. Devyn followed his lead a moment later, the wolf abandoning his cane for his father.

“How do you feel Jason?” Richard asked, a hand ruffling the neko’s hair gently.

Jason shrugged, flexing his leg as his back twinged painfully. He bit back a silent yelp, Devyn frowning before pushing him back toward the bed. Falling with a thump, the neko reached back, trying to rub at a point on his lower spine. He wasn’t sure if it was a muscle spasm or if Jerric had missed a spot, but the pain radiated out of his back, his entire body clenching as he tried to fight the pain off.

“Lay down,” Devyn said quietly. “He said you would still hurt. You can use my cane if you need to. I don’t need it.”

“No Devyn, you need to stay in this form,” Lysander denied. “You two are spending the night with us. I already cleared it with Ryan.”

“Lysander, I can take care of them,” Richard interrupted.

“No. Give yourself a day Richard. Let things calm down a bit, get yourself in a better place mentally. Besides, I think a sleepover would be nice for them.”

“You can’t just take my children from me Lysander-”

“Dad, it’s okay. Jason wanted to talk to Lysander anyway, for school, right?” Devyn said. “And it will be fun to spend the night with Dylan. We’ll go home tomorrow after school, right?”

Lysander nodded.

“Yeah, after things are calmer,” the elf agreed.

Jason massaged his back cautiously, the neko nodding along slowly.

“I’ll have them bring you a chair Jason. You probably shouldn’t walk for a day, to give your back a chance to heal,” Lysander added.

Jason shook his head, trying to stand up again.

“Just stay down,” Richard said. “Lysander’s a medic, he knows what he’s talking about.”

The neko let out a silent huff that turned into a gasp, his back spasming again. Devyn frowned at his brother, an arm wrapping around him cautiously. Jason leaned into Devyn carefully, accepting the hug while trying to find a safe position to sit in.

Minutes later, a wheelchair was sitting in front of him, Devyn and Lysander both helping the neko into the seat. Lysander handed the neko a pair of pills and a glass of water.

“Here, these should help numb most of the pain.”

Jason swallowed the pills eagerly, grimacing at the taste. That didn’t matter, as long as his back stopped spasming.

Pushing the wheelchair out the door, the elf guided Jason out of the hospital, Richard following close behind as Devyn walked beside the chair.

“Richard, go home. We have everything under control, okay?” Lysander urged as they reached his truck.

“The doctors told me he was paralyzed not more than thirty minutes ago, and you want me to just leave him? I’m worried about him, Lysander. What if it had been Dylan?”

“Then I would be feeling much the way you do now. But it’s not, and someone who is a little more removed from the problem is telling you to go home and calm yourself down,” Lysander said. “Jason is in good hands with us for one night. Besides, if he wasn’t going with me, there’s a good chance the doctors would keep him at the hospital just to keep an eye on him.”

Jason shivered at the thought of staying in the hospital yet again. That was an experience he really wished he could avoid, but there was no way he could tell Richard that. He didn’t even have his phone on him.

Lysander helped him into the truck, Devyn sitting in the middle seat. They were squashed together inside, even without Lysander in the driver seat. The elf was standing in front of the car, talking to Richard quietly. Jason’s ears picked up a few words; danger, criminal, jail… None of it sounded good, and the neko would have slumped in the seat if his back wouldn’t have killed him.

 

DEVYN

 

Freedom. Sweet freedom.

Devyn felt weird in his gut. How often had he wished something would happen to his mother, that he wouldn’t have to deal with her anymore? And it had happened, she had almost killed Jason.

But she hadn’t and now they were free from her. It was exciting, and the wolf wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do now. Everyone around him looked like someone had died. He knew he wasn’t the best at reading people, but it made no sense. They should celebrate. Jason was safe, Margaret was gone, and he got to spend the night with Dylan. What more could a wolf ask for?

Well, aside from a nice bone to chew perhaps.

The truck pulled into the complex, shutting off near the apartments.

“Wait here a second and I’ll get your chair out,” the elf said, before sliding out of the truck.

A minute later, he was fighting with the wheelchair, Jason turning to help him. The neko’s back pinched again, and he winced in pain, Devyn reaching over to rub his back carefully.

“No, don’t help Jason, you’re only going to hurt yourself,” Lysander grunted as the chair finally folded out properly.

He helped the neko into the chair, Devyn sliding out behind him. The wolf guarded them as Lysander wheeled his brother to the apartment, making sure to keep the two in front of him as he limped along.

The door opened with a thump, Dylan rushing out to help them push Jason into the apartment. Lysander waved him off, the calico’s tail twisting in knots.

“How bad is it? Can you move Jason?” he demanded.

Jason’s hands signed quickly, Dylan slowly calming down as his hands moved, though the scent of nerves continued to fill the air. Devyn sneezed at the smell, his nose clogging up quickly, and he shot his friend a pointed look.

“I’ll… I’ll go make some tea,” the neko said, backing off quickly.

Jason’s hands signed again, the grey neko looking up at Lysander with a frown.

“No, he’s okay. It’s just Devyn and I can… sort of scent his emotions, and they’re rather strong. Devyn being who he is, I’m certain it’s worse for him,” Lysander explained. “Here, why don’t we get you on the couch? I think Dylan was working on dinner when we showed up.”

“Scalloped potatoes with a ham steak and fresh tomatoes, likely all diced together with added goat cheese,” Devyn added, taking a small breath of the near intoxicating scent. “It’s a mix of west elvish and southern neko.”

“Yeah, what the wolf said,” Lysander chuckled.

Jason stared at Devyn, the wolf shrugging.

“What? Jasper’s classes have to be useful for something,” he frowned.

Setting the neko on the couch, Lysander adjusted the chair out of the way. He vanished into the kitchen, returning a moment later with a wet rag.

“I need you to keep this on your back. It will help you feel better,” the elf said, carefully sliding the rag under Jason’s shirt.

Jason cautiously reached back, pressing a hand against the hot rag with a silent sigh of relief.

“From what Jerric said, your injuries are nothing more than a strained muscle at the moment. Hot compresses should help fix it by tomorrow, hopefully.”

The door to the apartment opened suddenly, Jordan and Damian stepping inside. They frowned at Jason and Devyn inquisitively, Jordan turning a questioning gaze on Lysander.

“What are they still doing here?” he frowned. “Arisa’s going to be here any moment, we don’t have room for everyone.”

“Galaran… I completely forgot about her,” Lysander sighed. “Come on, I’ll explain in the kitchen.”

He pushed the two toward the kitchen, Devyn sighing as he sat on the floor between Jason’s feet. His brother’s scent was so strong here, the sweat of his feet filling the wolf’s nose with a comforting smell. A hand reached over, the wolf pulling on Jason’s shoe until it slid off. The smell increased, his crotch twitching as he took a deep and satisfying breath. Fingers played over the neko’s toes, pulling at them, sliding between them.

Jason’s hand fell on Devyn’s head, pushing him away gently. The leg swung past the wolf, the neko pulling it up under him as he laid on the couch. Whimpering quietly, Devyn turned, kneeling as his tongue reached for the toes, and Jason’s hand reached out, holding him back as the neko shook his head. Huffing quietly, the wolf slumped back against the couch, staring at a silent tv.

The door opened again, the two looking up in surprise as an elf and a human walked in.

“Hey, we’re here- oh, hey Devyn,” Arisa said. “Nice seeing you in this form.”

The wolf snorted, shoulders slumping slightly as he wondered if he would be allowed to shift here. He’d never actually hung around long enough to have to shift.

Arisa’s eyes widened slightly as they settled on Jason, and the elf shook her head.

“Yo Damian! Why didn’t you tell me you were pregnant?!” she called, Jason shaking in silent laughter on the couch.

“Arisa? Fuck!” Damian yelped from the kitchen.

He limped out, supported by Lysander.

“Sander, I’m fine, just a little slip,” the neko sighed. “He’s not mine Arisa. We’re just helping out Richard.”

“Oh? And how is the token human of your pack?” the elf smirked.

“Not good,” Lysander frowned. “I hope you don’t mind, but given recent events, we decided to have dinner at home.”

“You mean because of Miranda? Yeah, I get it,” Arisa shrugged. “No hard feelings, right Damian?”

“I don’t know what you mean,” the calico shrugged, turning back to the kitchen. “Jordan, I told you to leave the toast alone!”

“Hey Claire,” Lysander smiled at the woman behind Arisa.

Claire smiled back, signing silently. Devyn could feel Jason perk up behind him, the neko letting out a huff of breath as he tried to straighten up on the couch. Turning, the wolf helped him sit up again.

“Ah, makes sense,” Arisa shrugged as the neko signed suddenly. “Well, you’re always welcome to stop by Kali Terrace if you ever want to chat.”

Jason’s hands went into motion again, Arisa scoffing loudly.

“Why the fuck would I be upset? She did her time as far as I’m concerned. Besides, there was something fishy with Riardin’s ‘trial’ way back when. I’m more pissed that the Silver Hand never paid the damages for Jordan’s original apartment. Shit’s fucking expensive, you know?”

Claire rolled her eyes beside Arisa, the human signing herself.

“Oh don’t you start. Yes I’m still upset, that was nearly ten gold out my pocket. Gold we could have used for a trip to Mydara.”

“Ahem.”

Devyn glanced back at the kitchen, Jordan standing with his arms crossed.

“Dinner is ready. Well, aside from the toast.”

“Because someone had to go stick their paws where they weren’t needed!” Damian called out.

Jordan scowled, shaking his head.

“Anyway, feel free to grab a plate. Jason, let me know… er… let Lysander or Dylan know what you want and we’ll get it for you.”

 

JASON

 

Eating on the couch made him nervous, especially in his condition. Jason tried his best to keep everything on his plate, to not spill over the edges, but the way his back kept sending shivers up his spine, it seemed all he could do was not throw the plate everywhere.

“You can have another pill in three hours,” Lysander said, watching the neko. “I’m sorry, I know it hurts.”

The issue was it didn’t hurt. He couldn’t feel any real pain, his back was just shaking slightly as he tried to keep himself up. It was making his life miserable, and yet Jason didn’t feel he had any right to complain. He had been paralyzed only hours ago. Compared to that, this was a miracle.

His mind kept flashing back to what Jerric had said. To have his voice back… it would be amazing to be able to talk again.

‘Claire, have you ever thought about being able to talk again?’ he signed carefully.

The woman frowned, looking down at her plate. Her shoulders slumped slightly, and she set her food aside.

‘Every day. It would be so easy. Arisa has even told me she would pay for the procedure. But I can’t do it.’

‘Why would you give up the chance to talk again?’ Jason frowned.

‘I knew a mage once. Her name was Maia, and she was an empath, able to pull people’s trauma into her own mind. It… was not a pleasant gift, and yet she used it constantly, trying to help the people around her feel better. She died before she turned thirty. Just used up all her energy and dropped one day. She helped me with a past issue, and part of me feels like I helped kill her. It’s not something I can let myself go through again,’ Claire signed.

“Mages use up energy a lot faster than most people,” Lysander added quietly. “What Jerric did today… it probably took a few years off his life, even with the help of his plants.”

‘Why didn’t anyone tell me?! I would have refused-’

“Jason, it was his decision. He’s the one who decided to go into healthcare, to help people. Jerric’s life is his to spend however he wishes.”

The neko stared at his half eaten dinner, his appetite gone. Setting the plate aside, he leaned back into the couch, frowning as the cold rag slid down his back. Jerric hadn’t mentioned any of that to him. Fuck… he wanted to talk again, to be able to properly communicate with the world. But there was no way he could let Jerric give his life just so he could say a few words.

“I know it’s hard to hear Jason, but the best thing you can do is use the gift he gave you,” Lysander continued. “I know Jerric, I’ve worked beside him for a few years now, and the last thing he’d want is for you to get depressed over his choice. It’s why we don’t tell people about the healing process. In this case, ignorance is bliss.”

He had been so cheerful about it too, offering something that would have killed him. Jason didn’t know how he could do that. Thank the gods he was a neko and didn’t have to give his life to random strangers like that. It was selfish of him, but Jason was just glad to be spared that.

‘I think I’m done with dinner.’

“Okay. I messaged your father, he said he’s bringing over clothes for the night. Why don’t you take a shower? Devyn, can you stay with him and make sure he doesn’t hurt himself?” Lysander said.

“Of course,” Devyn huffed, grabbing his cane.

The wolf hoisted himself up before helping Jason into the wheelchair. The neko lifted his legs as he was pushed toward a small bathroom, his heart hurting almost more than his back. Ignorance was bliss, but he wasn’t allowed that luxury anymore, and he had to deal with this new information.

Clumsy fingers played with the hem of his shirt as the door closed, Devyn lifting the fabric away from Jason’s torso. The neko frowned, knocking his hand away before pulling his shirt over his head. His back spasmed again, blinding agony lancing through his spine, and tears erupted in his eyes as he sat frozen in place.

Devyn carefully pulled the shirt off, Jason’s arms falling limply into his lap as he squeezed his eyes shut against the pain.

“Just let me do this. I promise I’ll be gentle,” the wolf murmured, fingers working on the neko’s pants next.

He turned on the water, adjusting it until it felt right, before gently sliding his fingers into Jason’s underpants. The neko flinched slightly at the touch, his toes curling as Devyn’s fingers tickled him. His dick was hard, there was no stopping that, and Jason silently prayed that Devyn wouldn’t take it as an invitation. After everything that had happened today, he did not need to be claimed by his brother.

The neko’s rod slapped his stomach as it was freed, Devyn ignoring it as he worked Jason’s underpants off the rest of the way. Placing his hands under Jason’s arms carefully, the wolf lifted his brother out of the chair, helping him step into the shower before sinking to the floor slowly.

“There. It’s not too hot, is it?”

Jason’s ears folded under the spraying water as he shook his head. Reaching for the curtain, the neko was stopped by Devyn’s hand.

“Lysander said I need to watch you.”

Sighing silently, Jason slumped back in the shower, trying to find a comfortable spot while remaining under the water. He felt weird about taking a shower in someone else’s bathroom, something he had never gotten over even after years of sharing a shower with other people.

“Do you need help washing?” Devyn asked, reaching for the shampoo in the back of the tub.

Raising his hand experimentally, Jason shook his head, reaching for the bottle. It didn’t take long to lather up his hair and his fur, the neko playing with his tail briefly before rinsing off. He felt a little better, the steaming water helping his back relax. But his mind still seemed intent on making him suffer.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 12
  • Wow 6
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a god awful day it has been for Jason.  Fortunately for both Devyn and him, there are special people in their lives to support them.  Dr. Jerric is an amazing man to sacrifice his own life to helping others.  I know it will still upset Jason, but he needs to remember that another healer will need to work on his throat, since it is a more delicate process that Dr. Jerric can perform.  Maybe now the boys are out of the house and in a more neutral setting for a few days, they can let go of the nonsense of not being able to love each other as mates.  

Evil, psychotic ex-mom is probably not out of the picture, yet.  I just hope no one gets hurt again.  I Know! Maybe her reckless driving will lead to her quick absence from the rest of the story.  The only thing I will pity if that happens is the poor tree she hits.:devil:

  • Love 3
Link to comment

...and yet I still feel pity for her. Unfortunately the time for therapy to prevent her from ending up this twisted was long before the story started. It really didn't have to end up this way. I'd like to think she'll seek it out now, at her lowest point, but somehow I doubt she's going to.

Obviously nothing excuses her behaviour, and it's likely far too late to get her family back, but not too late to salvage something of her life if she puts the effort in. Given how well she deals with guilt though, I dread to think how she's going to react to this. Richard obviously loved her at some point, I think he was unwilling to see she'd changed - good on him for coming to his senses, even if it did take a serious injury to a son to manage it.

 

I imagine if we had the story of Margaret's life up to this point in full she'd be an absolutely tragic figure. I severely doubt she was always the person we love to hate here.

 

Bloody good job on your bad guy, Yeoldebard. Not a moustache-twirl in sight.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..