Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 1,756 Words
  • 3,186 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Brothers - 3. Chapter 3

DEVYN

He woke up with a strange scent in his nose, a light musky smell, and a warm weight holding his body. It was a strange smell, but that didn't mean it was bad. In fact, Devyn liked the smell. He wouldn't mind being covered in it.
It was... Jason? He was in bed with Jason...
Oh... He had heard the neko moving around in bed the previous night after everyone went home. The wolf figured it was hard to sleep when your den didn't smell like you. He'd had trouble with that before. But it usually helped when you could curl up with someone. So he snuck into Jason's room, finding his new brother rolling in a nightmare. It wasn't fear he smelled, though. It was a sense of resignation and sorrow.
The neko had seemed all too happy to hold him, and they fell asleep together. Devyn had to get back to his room, though. He knew the reputation of wolves, and he didn't want his parents to think he had done anything to Jason.
Devyn tried to crawl out from under Jason's arm, but the neko mouthed something, squeezing the wolf tighter against him. Devyn let out a quiet whimper and pulled harder until he felt the neko let him go. Jason's hand stroked him gently as Devyn stretched. The wolf shook his body, waking himself more completely before he turned and snuffled at the neko.
Jason's eyes were open, and he smiled uncertainly at the wolf, his teeth hidden by his lips. Devyn was surprised. Usually, people bared their teeth at him when they smiled, something that had taken him a long time to get used to. Many a fight had started when he was younger over someone smiling at Devyn the wrong way. But the neko seemed like he was trying to keep from startling or angering the wolf. In a way, it saddened Devyn. He wasn't going to snap at Jason. But it also made him happy. His brother wanted to learn how to act around him so he wouldn't upset Devyn. It was very different from his mother trying to get him to act like a human.
Devyn's tail wagged, and he pressed more firmly against Jason's hand before jumping off the neko's bed. Trotting through the bathroom, the wolf nosed his door open, freezing at the sight of Margaret sitting on his bed.
"Well, at least you weren't out hunting," the woman sighed, standing up. "Don't go letting your wolf lead you around."
Devyn scoffed quietly. Let his wolf lead him? He was a fucking wolf. And it wasn't like he had a human side. That part of him had been chased out when he was a kid, and Devyn was proud of it. No, he was all wolf, just with a human form. A human form he got to keep hidden during the full moon. This was definitely his favourite time of the month.
"I mean it, Devyn. If he turns into a wolf because of you-"
Devyn growled at his mother. He was not going to fuck his brother. The very idea was horrifying.
"And enough with the growling. Seriously. I thought we taught you better than that."
Yes, because he could totally change into a human and argue right now. His potion kept him from changing during the full moon, and Margaret knew that. There was literally no way for him to take on his human form for another two days.
"Well, get ready for the day. It’s Einyal. Lysander and Damian are bringing Dylan over; he'll ride to school with us. I suppose Jason is already awake?"
Devyn nodded, exaggerating the motion so Margaret could see it. His mother scowled at him, but let the slight go. He knew perfectly well she understood him. A small nod would have worked. But he was more than a little pissed at the insinuation that he would fuck his brother.
The wolf pushed through his bedroom door, pausing at the sight of Jason staring at the stairs, a silver necklace clutched in his hand. Now he smelled fear, strong and pungent. The neko was terrified of the stairs.
Devyn could understand that fear. It was hard enough to balance on two legs. Adding stairs to that always seemed like a recipe for disaster.
"Jason?"
Both Devyn and Jason startled. Jason nearly lost his balance as he flinched. Margaret stood behind Devyn, looking at the neko in concern.
"Are you okay?"
Jason nodded, taking a deep breath. Devyn moved forward, nuzzling the neko's hand. He took a step down the stairs, making sure Jason's hand was planted firmly on his back.
Together, the neko and the wolf walked down the stairs, Jason scratching Devyn's back as they reached the bottom.
"Breakfast is ready. You're heading out in thirty minutes?" Richard asked when they reached the kitchen.
"Yes, they need to be at the school early to get good classes," Margaret said behind the two. "Devyn, we still need to clarify your classes."
The wolf didn't really see the point of that. His mother would choose the classes she thought best for him, and he'd have to approve them nonverbally. It was the way this generally went. One of the few downsides to being a wolf. Margaret always seemed to take him to registration during the full moon. Devyn figured it was so she could have some input on what he learned.
Still, he nodded at his mother's suggestions as they ate. There was merit to choosing his battles, and this was not a battle he wanted to fight.

JASON

The two nekos stared at each other again. Jason was still confused. Why did Dylan hate him? They were both nekos — shouldn't they be united against the others out there who would hate on nekos?
"Morning Dylan," Margaret said, startling the two.
"Oh, good morning Mrs. Farin," the calico neko replied. "Did you have a good run last night?"
"It was fine."
Turning, Jason's new mother called, "Devyn! It's time to go!"
The wolf came tearing around the corner, Dylan dropping to a knee as Devyn leapt at him.
"Oh, gods..." Margaret sighed as the two slid across the floor. "Can we go one day without you bowling someone over Devyn? Please?"
"Let him have his fun, Margaret," Richard said, kissing his wife on the cheek. “No one was hurt.”
"Hey, Devyn. You can't have missed me that bad. I was just here last night," Dylan laughed, scratching Devyn's neck.
The wolf buried his nose into the neko's armpit, sniffling noisily. Jason chuckled silently at the spectacle. His brother really was just a wolf.
"Come on, we need to get going," Margaret said, shooing the three out of the house.
Jason followed Devyn and Dylan out to Margaret's car, smiling at the two's exuberance. Dylan seemed so friendly, and it was such a difference from how the other neko acted toward Jason. He didn't really mind; Jason just wished he knew what he had done to make the neko hate him so fast. Dylan seemed friendly enough with everyone else. It made Jason think he was missing out on making a good friend.
Dylan opened the door to the car, and Devyn jumped into the back seat. Margaret motioned for Jason to take the front passenger seat as the other neko got in after the wolf. This was complete nightmare fuel. But Jason just smiled and forced himself into the car, buckling himself securely.
It was bad enough the day before, driving from the orphanage. Just one of those things Jason constantly had to deal with. At least Margaret drove carefully, so he didn't get too many flashbacks to his parents' crash. Jason would take his victories where he could. He was just happy he didn't hear the crumpling bang of a car colliding with the ground when they stopped.
The neko heard a click from the backseat. Turning, he grinned at the sight of Devyn sitting upright, buckled into the seat with a harness. Who knew wolf seatbelts were a thing?
His new brother grinned back at him wolfishly, tongue lolling out as he panted.
"You should really get some new clothes," Margaret said as she sat in the driver's seat. "Both of you. Devyn's grown a bit. Is everyone settled back there?"
"Yes, Mrs. Farin," Dylan replied.
It didn't take long for them to get to the school; barely a five-minute drive. Jason was sure they could have walked. But he supposed Margaret didn't want to walk during the full moon for whatever reason. There couldn’t be much that could worry a family of werewolves, but then, Jason was new to the family. Maybe he was wrong.
The car pulled into a car park beside a football pitch that was surrounded by a track, a sign over the pitch announcing the school as the home of the North Astaran Wolves. Jason was unfamiliar with this school, a school he had heard was run by the North Astaran Wolf Pack. But it had a track and a football pitch, so he assumed it wouldn't be too bad.
He stepped out of the car shakily, grateful to be on solid ground. Devyn was instantly at his feet, sniffing anxiously. Jason wished he could reassure the wolf that he was fine, but the best he could do was pat his brother's back.
Wolves could smell emotions, couldn't they? He didn't really understand how, but the neko had heard that before. Maybe if he calmed himself down, Devyn wouldn't be so agitated. It shouldn't be that hard. He had just gotten out of a car and was preparing to start a new year at a new school. There was no reason to be worried.
The neko took a breath, focusing on calming himself. He shivered slightly, letting the tension flow out of him as he relaxed.
"Are you okay, Jason?"
He nodded at Margaret's question, straightening up. He was okay.
'Where are we going?' he signed.
"To the office, right over there," Dylan said, pointing across the car park.
'You know sign language?' Jason asked.
"Yeah, my aunt Claire is mute. I learned early," the other neko shrugged as they started walking across the park.
Maybe Jason could get the calico to help him learn the school. But then, with the way Dylan seemed to dislike him, maybe that was too much to ask for. Still, his life seemed to be looking up. Maybe the calico actually would help.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 19
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am not sure Dylan's behaviour is due to jealousy. Devyn has already said that he doesn't understand why Dylan has issues with his own race/species. So this 'attitude' existed before Jason turned up.

Maybe there is a hierarchy within Neko Society and calico's are considered the lowest? There is hopefully a good reason that we will be made privy to.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
4 minutes ago, Buz said:

Maybe there is a hierarchy within Neko Society and calico's are considered the lowest? There is hopefully a good reason that we will be made privy to.

In the other connected stories, calicos are considered an abomination by other nekos and are shunned due to something which happened in the past.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
10 minutes ago, Buz said:

Ohhh. I haven't read the other stories. Poor Dylan. I wonder what happened? Especially to be considered an abomination. Well, that isn't necessarily hard to do though is it. Especially with some people. To be considered an abomination I mean.

If I remember correctly, it had something to do with spreading a disease and calicos got the blame.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 5
Link to comment

I’ve just read the first three chapters of this story and so far it’s been a good story. Jason has been through a lot in his young life and he’s been adopted by a family of werewolves, his brother is a wolf- human who seems to get on the bad side of their mother easily. Hopefully Jason will learn to speak again or Devyn will learn sign language. I’m not sure what the problem is with Dylan as to why he doesn’t like Jason although I hope he gets over it soon so they can become real friends.

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I'm just reading this story for the first time having just finished (so far) Damian's Wolf.  I can understand Dylan's reticence towards other Nekos because of Damian's experiences with his own non-calico kind.  I don't understand Margaret's attitude towards her own son.   I wonder if she hates being a wolf as much as Jordan and is taking it out on him?  I certainly wouldn't mind if she fell off a cliff, other than the effect it might have on Jason.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

All great comments on this interesting chapter.  I love good speculation about a story, and you all have provided a lot of ideas to consider.  Why is Devyn considered a wolf man and not a werewolf?  It was stated before that he was in a subset of wolf shifters. What's the difference?  His mother seems to blame herself for this and view Devyn as the victim of her ignorance and/or negligence.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, raven1 said:

All great comments on this interesting chapter.  I love good speculation about a story, and you all have provided a lot of ideas to consider.  Why is Devyn considered a wolf man and not a werewolf?  It was stated before that he was in a subset of wolf shifters. What's the difference?  His mother seems to blame herself for this and view Devyn as the victim of her ignorance and/or negligence.

The difference is mainly semantic. Aerafael and Faelara are basically those born in wolf form and those born in human form, respectively. Being born in wolf form is rather rare, but does happen when the mother forces herself to shift while pregnant.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Yeoldebard said:

The difference is mainly semantic. Aerafael and Faelara are basically those born in wolf form and those born in human form, respectively. Being born in wolf form is rather rare, but does happen when the mother forces herself to shift while pregnant.

Got it. That makes sense and explains Margaret's feelings of guilt. Thanks!😯

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..