Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 2,105 Words
  • 3,156 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Brothers - 5. Chapter 5

JASON

Toned arms were bare to the world. Jason rolled his shoulders freely. The neko had always enjoyed tank tops, the clothing showing off his surprisingly strong arms. A by-product of three years of swimming for his old school, and a source of quiet pride for him.
This shirt was perfect, in fit and in its red colour. Pulling it off over his slender frame, the neko set the shirt back on its hanger and dressed in his old shirt once more. Stepping out of the room, he found Margaret looking through a rack of clothes for Devyn. The wolf himself was nosing through pants, his posture making it obvious he wished he was anywhere but here.
Jason was grateful to his brother for his help in the elevator. He hated using those even more than stairs. The neko had no idea how Margaret hadn’t noticed his panic attack, but he considered it a small blessing. The last thing he wanted was to make her worry about him. Seeing how she acted with Devyn, it would probably mean the end of any freedoms he might have.
“Did you find a shirt you like?” Margaret asked.
Nodding, Jason held it up.
“We’ll have to get you a sweatshirt for mornings if you want to wear that. What about running shorts?”
‘My sweats are still in good condition,’ the neko signed awkwardly, setting the shirt over his shoulder.
“Okay, pants, shirts, track clothes… Can you think of anything- Devyn!”
The wolf leapt up from where he had been rolling on a fallen pair of pants, his tail dropping guiltily.
“Lumara… you’re going to give me grey hairs,” Margaret muttered.
Jason walked over to Devyn, lifting the pants up from under his paw. The neko shook off the stray wolf hairs and set the clothing back on the rack. He honestly thought the display had been rather funny.
“I guess we’ll have to get out of here before you get in more trouble.” Margaret took the shirt from Jason, setting it on top of the other clothes she was holding. Handing the neko his laptop, she added, “Jason, can you take your brother out to the car and make sure he doesn’t try to hump the clothes or something?”
Jason frowned slightly, setting a hand on the scruff at the back of Devyn’s neck. The wolf followed meekly, his tail not budging. That had been uncalled for, but Jason couldn’t call Margaret out for the comment — certainly not in a busy store.
Scratching the wolf’s head as they reached the car, Jason sank against the vehicle, sitting on the warm asphalt. They watched cars pass together, both lost in their own thoughts.
He would have to ask when tryouts were for track. Regular tryouts were usually held just before the wolf tryouts. Maybe Brienne could tell him. She seemed to like him.
The neko frowned slightly, realising he hadn’t gotten her number. Devyn might have it, though. Jason would just have to ask when his brother could talk again.
Jason flinched as the car unlocked suddenly. Looking up, he saw Margaret walking quickly toward them, a bag in hand.
“Can you buckle Devyn in please?” the woman asked him.
Nodding, Jason opened the back door, and Devyn jumped into the car. The wolf sat up in his seat, nosing different straps to help the neko buckle everything. Jason pulled on the belts, loosening them slightly, and he saw Devyn nearly sag with relief.
Sliding into the seat next to the wolf, Jason let out a silent sigh as Devyn placed his head against him. It was a small thing, but having the wolf next to him helped Jason deal with the stress of being in the car. Another thing to be grateful for.

DEVYN

Devyn jumped out of the car, scurrying toward the tree near the edge of the front yard. He knew Jason was probably staring after him, but it didn’t matter. The wolf hadn’t had the chance to go to the bathroom since breakfast. He was not holding it back anymore.
Two minutes later, he trotted back to the house, toilet needs taken care of. Pushing through the wolf door, he found his parents in the kitchen, whispering. Probably about him and how he had messed up a pair of pants in the store.
They weren’t even that bad. Jason had gotten most of the hair off. And the fabric had felt so good against his fur. And the smells, oh the smells… It was worth his mother’s scowl just to have the scents of the day to remember for later.
The wolf ran up the stairs, heading into his room. Clothes hung from the doorknob, forcing Devyn to squeeze past them to get into the room. He’d put them away after the full moon. Grabbing a rubber bone from where he had hidden it under his bed, Devyn crawled under his desk, curling up in his pile of blankets.
The sound of a shower starting entered his ears as he bit into the toy. Devyn wasn’t sure why Jason was taking a shower. He smelled great to the wolf, like the perfect blend of a cat in a forest. The wolf loved cats, but they always wanted to run from him. And it always seemed to end in a chase that he invariably lost.
Devyn huffed quietly, remembering their run earlier. Jason was fast, and Devyn loved racing after him across the football pitch. Of course, the neko had no chance of escaping him in a race. But Devyn had to work to keep up for the first hundred or so metres, chasing the neko’s tail.
His body was reacting in excitement at his memory, and Devyn let out a grunt. Just what he needed, to prove his mother right. The thought that Jason was his brother didn't enter this equation. No, Devyn was more upset by what his mother was certain to say if she knew he, no, his body, was attracted to the neko. Devyn just wanted to run with Jason.
The wolf let out a disappointed huff. He had to hide this, fight this. Devyn was not about to let his mother complain about yet another thing.
The smell of food wafted up the stairs, Devyn's stomach growling. He gave his toy one last good shake before tucking it safely into his bed. The wolf moved toward the bathroom door, knocking it roughly with his nose. To his surprise, the door opened with a creak. There was a sudden squeak as Jason spun in the shower, the neko's eyes staring at the wolf in shock. Devyn motioned toward the door, and Jason's hand shooed him out of the bathroom.
Letting out a sigh, Devyn left the room, stopping at the tip of the stairs. The shower shut off, to the wolf's satisfaction. Jason had got his message.
He didn't know why two legs were so concerned with nudity. Especially in a house of wolves. Being nude would be so much easier. It was one of those questions he would likely never have answered.
Jason's door opened a few minutes later, the neko's hair and fur a wet mess. Devyn stood up as he approached the stairs, offering his back in support. Jason grabbed the wolf's fur, a small smile on his face. They descended slowly, Jason's grip not loosening until the two were safely off the stairs.
"Oh good, Devyn told you," Margaret said. "Wolf noses are good for something, at least."
"A lot of things, I'd say," Richard said with a smile, hugging his wife. "It brought you to me."
Devyn huffed, heading to the kitchen. He didn't need to see his parents being all mushy.
Sniffing the air, the wolf grinned at the scent of meatloaf. It always tasted better in wolf form. He knew he wouldn't be sitting at the table, not until he could be in human form again. Eating out of a bowl on the floor didn't upset him one bit.

JASON

The room was filled with the clinking of plates. Near the table, Devyn was eating noisily out of a bowl, scraping it across the floor as he chased the last of his food. It was weird for Jason to think of his brother eating like that. But the neko had to admit it made sense. A wolf eating from a plate on the table would be difficult.
"Tryouts for track are tomorrow at noon," Margaret mentioned. "Devyn had his tryouts earlier this week to avoid conflict with the moon."
Jason nodded his understanding. Brienne had said something about seeing him tomorrow. At least he had a solid time now.
"I'd drop you off, but I need to head out in the morning on a run to Sami," Richard added.
'You're not staying until after the full moon?'
"No, Richard is working for a company that isn't exactly wolf-friendly," Margaret frowned.
"They pay really well, though. And it's not like they're actively against wolves," Richard sighed quietly.
Jason had the impression that they'd been through this multiple times. He wasn't sure he wanted to get in the middle of it. He focused on his food, his ears folding slightly as Margaret raised her voice.
"Your company has literally spent money on banning pack houses from the city!"
"Look, we can argue about this, or we can appreciate that I have a job that pays enough for this house," Richard said calmly.
Personally, Jason thought it was a bad move, working for a company that didn't seem to care for Margaret or Devyn. But it wasn't his place to complain. The way he saw it, the neko was lucky to live here. He didn't want to do anything to fuck that up.
Finishing his meal, he stood up and collected the plates on the table. He washed them quickly as Margaret and Richard argued, more subdued, but still loud enough to hear from the kitchen.
Devyn approached, empty bowl in his mouth, and Jason knelt, taking it before scratching the wolf gently behind the ear. Devyn's eyes closed, a quiet groan escaping him as his head twisted to offer the best spot to his brother's hand. As the neko stopped, the wolf huffed quietly, sitting nearby as Jason washed the rest of the dishes.
The cat finished, drying his hands on his shirt. Returning to Margaret and Richard, he caught their attention before motioning toward the stairs.
"Okay. LJD should be here soon with Dylan if you want to join us tonight," Richard suggested.
Jason shrugged, not sure he wanted to be around Dylan. He still didn't know about the neko. Besides, he needed to set up his computer still, especially if school was starting in a few days.
He almost wanted to take another shower, to wash the stress of the argument away. But he had already showered once. If he took another, it would be weird.
Sighing silently, the neko trudged up the stairs, feeling weighed down for some reason. Suddenly it felt as though he was in the wrong place. This home would turn out to be the same as the orphanage. If it was worse… he doubted the orphanage would let the Farins take him if they were a bad family. If this home turned out to be worse, he’d only have himself to blame.
A sniffle beside him startled Jason, a nose brushing his hand. He glanced down, letting out a tiny smile at the sight of Devyn. At least his brother had his back, it seemed. He had no idea where the sudden depression had come from, but he did not like it.
And it seemed Devyn wasn't a fan either.
The wolf squeezed past the neko, slipping into Jason's room. Frowning, Jason followed, only to find Devyn grabbing Elroy in his jaws. Jason ran at Devyn, a silent snarl in his throat. The werewolf whimpered, dodging a hand as he dropped the stuffed animal at Jason's feet.
"Devyn! Time for your medicine!" Richard called.
The wolf slunk past Jason. Slamming the door behind him, the neko held Elroy tightly, tears threatening his eyes. Images ran through his head, Devyn chewing on the stuffed animal, tearing off his head, and scattering his body around the room. Why had the wolf grabbed Elroy?
Letting out a shaky breath, Jason stroked Elroy's head before carefully tucking him back into his suitcase. He was stupid to think he could leave the stuffed animal out in the open. Clearly, this wasn't the right place for Elroy.
And maybe not for him either.

I'm going to try to work on this story some more, though I can't promise any regularity with this story. Still, I like the change of pace occasionally, and hopefully you will all enjoy this story as it continues coming out.
Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 18
  • Sad 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am over mentioning Margaret again, but Richard needs to step up for his Son.

I am not sure how I feel about Richard working for a Company that is so anti-were. I don't know how he can do it, but (especially these days) jobs are hard to find. Especially good paying jobs.

There are some benefits to speech. Poor Devyn. He understands that Elroy is a comfort for Jason and was just trying to provide Jason with said comfort. He felt how sad/depressed Jason was.

Everyone in this story needs to have good long meaningful chat about so many things.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
41 minutes ago, Clancy59 said:

Poor Jason. His treasured wolf was attacked by Devyn because he didn’t understand what Elroy meant to Jason.  Devyn simply saw a stuffie toy.  Our pup adores hers.  She chews and shakes the stuffing out of them, literally.  I am constantly finding batting all over the house.  I’m certain that Devyn realizes that he really upset Jason when he grabbed the toy.  When he can speak properly, I am positive he will apologize.  Devyn is a puppy.  He has a good heart, even if his mother doesn’t quite see it, others seem to. 

Dylan probably just wanted to cheer Jason up. Considering the neko seems to be going through some depression, and Devyn is training to be a therapy dog, it is very likely he smelled Elroy and just wanted to give Jason his favourite toy to cheer him up.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Yeoldebard said:

Dylan probably just wanted to cheer Jason up. Considering the neko seems to be going through some depression, and Devyn is training to be a therapy dog, it is very likely he smelled Elroy and just wanted to give Jason his favourite toy to cheer him up.

(Dylan?). That may be, but Jason doesn’t see it that way.  He thinks Devyn wanted to play with Elroy and he would destroy the stuffie.  Devyn will have to explain when he has the chance.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 minute ago, Clancy59 said:

(Dylan?). That may be, but Jason doesn’t see it that way.  He thinks Devyn wanted to play with Elroy and he would destroy the stuffie.  Devyn will have to explain when he has the chance.

Oof, yeah, sorry. Autocorrect switches names sometimes. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Even after Devyn learns ASL, there are going to be long gaps in his ability to communicate – he may be able to read signs at all times, but paws are not suitable for signing. Perhaps during the full moon days he can type out his thoughts on the computer, though even that would be difficult with paws.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
4 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

Even after Devyn learns ASL, there are going to be long gaps in his ability to communicate – he may be able to read signs at all times, but paws are not suitable for signing. Perhaps during the full moon days he can type out his thoughts on the computer, though even that would be difficult with paws.

It makes me wonder.

@Yeoldebard can shifters in your world do partial shifts or is it all or nothing

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, drpaladin said:

It makes me wonder.

@Yeoldebard can shifters in your world do partial shifts or is it all or nothing

There has only ever been one werewolf who could do what in other settings would be an alpha or hybrid shift, and that is Itumak from The Alliance. And that in and of itself is only because he mated with an alien who sort of healed the disease partway, to the point where Itunak is only able to shift partway.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Devyn may believe he has chased his human part out of his wolf, but I believe it is there and functioning very well.  His wolf provides great sensory information, but his human analyses that information and applies it to the situation.  His effort to provide Jason comfort confirms that Devyn knows and understands others as a human.  Jason has developed the idea that Devyn is more a wolf than human and misunderstands Devyn's behaviour.  I am sure that things will be more clear to him when Devyn shifts back.  Because Devyn cares for Jason and needs Jason to understand him, I am sure Devyn will become more willing to accept his own dual nature.  

  • Love 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..