Jump to content
    Yeoldebard
  • Author
  • 2,850 Words
  • 3,467 Views
  • 15 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Brothers - 4. Chapter 4

DEVYN

The wolf’s nails clicked on the wooden floor, Jason's hand resting on his back. Devyn could smell his brother's nerves, like an acid that filled his body, bubbling and making the neko tremble. Devyn's fur seemed to help Jason, and the wolf was happy to have the neko touching his coat. He couldn't figure out why he felt so happy around his brother. Normally it took a while for Devyn to warm up to people. But he almost felt like Jason was meant to be his brother; like they completed each other.
As they walked into the office, Devyn paused to inhale the scents around him. A wolf had to stay current on the world around him. It seemed like Jenna had finally given birth... to an elf? Her illicit lover must have forgotten protection. Amateur. Oh, and apparently the entire football team had been in the office recently. Who knew what for...
"Ah, Devyn. And Dylan," a woman smiled, standing up behind a desk. "And... I don't believe I know you. Are you a transfer?"
Devyn thought that was funny. It wasn't like Jenna knew everyone who came to the school.
Jason removed his hand from Devyn so he could sign. The wolf pressed against his leg, still slightly worried about the neko. Jason’s nerves were calmer, but Devyn didn't want to take any chances. Besides, it was nice being pressed against him.
"Oh, are you deaf?" Jenna asked, signing back to Jason.
The neko shook his head, motioning to his throat, where a scar peeked out of his shirt.
"Jason was in an accident some years ago," Margaret explained.
"Oh, my apologies. Well, Jason, here at Quarian Academy, we offer support for people with disabilities, but we won't coddle you. You are responsible for your own path in life, and we will help guide you on that path, but you have to prove that you are willing to work to get ahead in life."
Devyn yawned, tuning out the speech. He had heard it all before. Responsibility for your actions, determination, and all that rubbish. He was determined to be a wolf. That was enough for him.
"Okay, you and Dylan can go ahead and fill out your choices for your courses this year," Jenna said, handing a small stack of papers to the two nekos. "When you're done, let me know, and I will help you sign up for the classes you need."
Turning her attention back to Devyn, the woman smiled.
"Now, let's get started with your registration," she said, sitting back down.
The clicking of a keyboard filled the room. Jenna glanced at Margaret.
"I assume you discussed classes with your son yesterday. Will he be continuing the same courses as last year?"
"Yes, with a few exceptions. Devyn expressed interest in learning sign language."
"Oh? That will be handy," Jenna said, typing. “Astaran, Mydaran, or Ceosan? Unfortunately, we don’t have any classes for neko languages.”
There were more than one sign language? Devyn scratched an ear, pondering the issue. Before he could even attempt to answer, however, his mother was already speaking.
“Astaran.”
"You are still interested in cooking?"
Devyn nodded.
"I would also like for Devyn to take Doctor Marin's class again this year,” Margaret added.
The wolf growled quietly, Jenna pausing in her typing.
"And does Devyn want to continue taking the class?" she asked pointedly.
"We talked about this," Margaret scowled at her son. "He can help you."
"I can set up Doctor Marin's class on a conditional basis — it is a recommended class for all werewolves, anyway. If you feel like going, you can, but if you don't want to, it would work as a free period for you to catch up on homework," Jenna offered. "Margaret, remember that this is Devyn's choice. As much as you might want him to take the class, if he doesn't want to, then you will just be encouraging him to skip classes. And Devyn, you still need to work on your temper. I think your mother has a point. Doctor Marin's class could be helpful."
Devyn huffed in annoyance, staring at his mother. Margaret stared back steadily, forcing Devyn to look away. The wolf nodded reluctantly. With that settle, Jenna began typing again.
"Okay, then you have your first block taken care of. There are two classes for sign language, second and fourth block. Since fourth block is for sports, I assume second block will work for you?"
Another nod, Devyn yawning impatiently.
"Third block, you are scheduled to advance to Miss Carla's class on Elven Psychology, which leaves fifth block for cooking with Jasper. And you are done.”
Jenna looked up with a smile, teeth flashing momentarily. Devyn’s ears folded back, the wolf instinctively growling at the threat. He cut the growl short a moment later with a small whine. The woman didn’t seem to notice.
Dylan stepped up beside Devyn, his hand scratching the wolf’s ear as he handed his papers to Jenna.
“Why don’t you head out to the track?” the neko suggested.
Licking Dylan’s hand lightly, Devyn turned and left the room, taking the barest moment to glance at his mother for approval.

JASON

The neko walked out to the track, finding a group of humans stretching near several sets of starting blocks. Devyn was lazing around them, watching the runners with his tongue hanging out. He stood up as Jason neared, trotting toward his brother.
Jason gave the wolf a tiny smile, his thoughts stuck on the runners as they prepared to start a race. Jenna had just told him that there were no rules against nekos on the track or the swim team, but there would likely be opposition to his being on the teams. He was apparently the first neko who had been interested in sports at the school.
Devyn nudged the neko toward the nearest end of the football pitch, woofing at him. The wolf’s tail wagged violently, Devyn bowing excitedly.
‘You want to run?’ Jason signed.
The wolf looked at his hands in confusion. Pointing at the sprinters who had just taken off from the blocks, Jason mimed running. Devyn jumped around him, nipping at the neko’s tail.
He glanced at the far end of the pitch, where the runners were cooling down after their sprint. It was what, 100 metres away? Maybe 110? He could run that easily, and he didn’t doubt Devyn could either.
Jumping a few times as an impromptu warm-up, the neko crouched, Devyn standing next to him. Jason let out a short whistle and sprang forward, the wolf at his heels. They raced across the field, Devyn easily keeping up with the neko. The world blurred past them, filling Jason with the joy and freedom that always seemed to come when he ran.
His hand smacked the goalpost at the end of the field with a meaty thump. Jason spun himself around to take off back to their starting spot. The move caught Devyn by surprise, but the wolf happily obliged, turning to chase after the neko.
Jason’s speed dropped drastically on the return run, Devyn barking after him to speed him up again. It wasn’t happening, and the neko finished the lap at a jog. Devyn tackled him, the two rolling across the grass as Jason panted heavily.
“Hey, let him breathe Devyn!” someone called.
The wolf stood up, shaking the grass from his body. Nuzzling Jason, he helped the neko sit up, a runner jogging toward him.
“Shit, you’re a neko? Where’d you learn to run like that?” the girl asked, pulling Jason to his feet.
Jason shrugged, motioning to his throat.
“Oh, you can’t speak? Here…”
The girl pulled out a phone, typing into it quickly. She shoved it at the neko, so fast that Jason nearly dropped the device. Looking at the screen, he read the words she had typed.
My name is Brienne. Can you hear me?
Yeah, I can hear, but I can’t speak. I ran track at my old school, he typed back.
“Oh! How do you know Devyn?”
His family adopted me.
“You aren’t a wolf, are you?” Brienne asked.
Jason shook his head, finally beginning to catch his breath.
“Not that I have anything against wolves,” the girl added with a glance at Devyn. “Wouldn’t be at a pack school if I did. Are you going to run track here? Devyn is on the wolf team.”
If I can. I heard the team might not let me run.
“Well, that’s stupid. We had an elf on the team last year, but he left. I think if they allow elves, a neko should be fine. And you’re fast enough, you should make the team easy. Come over here. I want to introduce you to the team.”
Taking her phone back, Brienne grabbed Jason’s hand and dragged the neko off the field, toward where the other humans were pulling vests on. Jason knew those vests. They were weighted, pressing down on his body in a heavy, tight embrace that always filled the gaps in his heart.
“Brienne, what are they doing here?” a grey-bearded man asked sharply. “You know the wolves aren’t supposed to run with us.”
“Devyn isn’t going to run with us. This is Jason. He’s new and wants to join the team. Jason, this is Coach Alastair.”
“You’re a neko,” the man said.
Jason shrugged, tail bristling slightly. He would have thought that was obvious from his ears if not from the tail sticking out of his ass. One of the downsides of starting a new school, he’d have to deal with everyone pointing out that he, in fact, had a tail.
“Not very talkative, huh?”
“He’s mute,” Brienne said.
“Ah. And Devyn has been showing him around?”
Alastair’s face made it obvious what he thought of that idea.
“Well, I suppose we’ll be seeing you at tryouts.”
“Jason! Devyn!”
The neko saw Margaret walking out of the office, Devyn already running toward her.
“Hey Jason, I’ll see you tomorrow, right?” Brienne asked.
Jason nodded. He would have signed, but the human wouldn’t understand the gestures. So he just raised his hand in farewell before running after Devyn.

DEVYN

“So, did you two get all your classes?” Margaret asked as they pulled out of the car park.
“Yes Mrs. Farin,” Dylan said. Jason tapped the dashboard in response. “Is it okay if Devyn hangs out at my place before tonight’s run?”
“Well, he really needs to get some clothes and a new bag for school. Maybe tomorrow.”
Devyn huffed in disappointment, his body restrained by the harness that kept him from sliding around the car. He really needed to adjust the straps when he had the chance — they were way too tight — but he always seemed to forget. Just like he forgot everything.
It wasn’t long before they were sitting outside the North Astaran pack complex. Dylan slid out of the car, shutting the door gently.
“I’ll see you tonight,” the neko said with a small wave.
Devyn let out a small howl as his friend left him. Dylan smiled, copying the howl, and the wolf grinned. The neko almost had the sound perfect, but it could use a little more longevity.
The wolf smelled a hint of amusement from Jason, mixed in with the fear he seemed to have around cars. And stairs. His brother certainly seemed to have a lot of fears. That was normal, right? Devyn always had a bit of nerves before he was able to sniff a new place. Maybe that’s what Jason needed, to wake up and smell the scents. But he was awake…
Devyn grumbled quietly, trying to puzzle the phrase out. He hated two-legged speech. It was always a pain having to deal with his language classes, and now he had to learn sign language too. But it was for Jason, and Devyn was willing to take on the challenge if it meant his brother would be able to talk to him.
Before he knew it, the car had stopped again, new smells rushing into his nose as a door opened. Jason opened the back door, helping the wolf out of his seat, and Devyn jumped out of the car, shaking the ride off. Jason seemed relieved to be out of the car, and Devyn pressed his body against the neko’s thigh, hoping to help him release the stress of the car ride.
“Devyn, can I trust you to get your bag on your own?” Margaret asked.
The wolf huffed. He would have rolled his eyes if he knew how, but as it was, he just nodded.
“Good. Jason and I will be on the second floor looking at phones.”
The neko’s tail twitched, that scent of fear returning. Devyn licked Jason’s hand, getting an uncertain smile from him.
They moved into the store, Devyn breaking away from the others as they approached an elevator. Weaving through a group of elves, Devyn grinned as he heard a kid yell, “Puppy!”
A hand suddenly yanked on his tail, pain shooting through Devyn’s back, and the wolf yelped. Turning, he snarled. The kid who pulled his tail stumbled backwards. The elves all yelled, scattering, and a woman grabbed the kid, yanking him away from Devyn.
Devyn’s tail fell between his legs, the wolf scooting back under a rack of clothes. The cries of the kid tugged at him, making him feel horrible for snarling, even as his tail continued to throb.
“Well, maybe you shouldn’t have pulled their tail,” the mother said sternly, leading the kid away.
Whining quietly, Devyn crept through the store, trying to ignore his aching tail. His nose sorted through all the surrounding scents, an elf on her period near the restrooms, a neko who was worrying about trying on clothing, a man who was staring lustfully at a woman…
Finally, he found what he was looking for. Backpacks hung from a rack, fabrics a myriad of blacks, greys, tans, and blues. He sniffed through the bags, trying to pick out the one scent he knew was made for wolves.
“Over here,” a woman smiled.
Devyn looked up in surprise. An elf pointed at a separate rack, backpacks hanging low to the ground.
“It’s nice to see a wolf who isn’t afraid to be out during the daytime,” she said.
Devyn’s tail wagged slightly, though he still kept it low. Taking a blue bag in his teeth, the wolf carefully worked it off the hook it was on.
“Would you like help?”
The wolf dropped the bag at the elf’s feet, nodding. The bags weren’t designed to be put on in wolf form. He was supposed to wear the bag when he shifted. But that wasn’t really an option at the moment. People didn’t like it when he shifted in public.
Careful hands helped Devyn step into the straps, adjusting the pack so it sat on his back. With a quick lick of thanks, the wolf left the elf, walking toward a flight of stairs. Following his nose, he sniffed out his family, Jason’s musky scent drawing him like a puppet on a string.

JASON

Jason stared at the phone in his hands, his mind trying to catch up to the fact that Margaret had just bought him both the phone and a laptop. Both were relatively cheap, costing only three gold in total, and as she said, they were necessary purchases. Besides, Devyn had one of each, and Margaret mentioned that she didn’t want the two of them to feel unequal in their belongings.
It was weird. Margaret always seemed at odds with Devyn, but she was kind to Jason. Maybe that was going to change as she got to know the neko better. He hoped not.
A wet nose poked into Jason’s thigh, the neko glancing down to see Devyn looking up at him. He set a hand on the wolf, scratching his ear, and Devyn sat down as his rear leg began reaching toward his ear to help. A blue bag sat on the wolf’s back. Devyn’s favourite colour?
“There you are,” Margaret said, a bag in her hand. “No one gave you any trouble, did they?”
The wolf shook his head, his ears folding momentarily.
“Good. We’re done up here; let’s head down together and get you two some clothes.”
Jason took a deep breath as they started walking, mentally preparing himself to go into the elevator again. A small box that was suspended in the air by cables… He was not happy about the idea.
But in he went, Devyn and Margaret following him. Jason held the handrail in a death grip, Devyn laying at his feet as the door closed, locking them in the box. Margaret pressed a button, and suddenly the floor dropped out under them. Jason’s eyes squeezed shut, his mouth opening in a silent scream.
Fur rubbed against his hand, the neko squeezing it tightly. The elevator came to a stop; the door opened with a ding, and Devyn helped Jason walk out on shaky legs.

Copyright © 2020 Yeoldebard; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 21
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 4/27/2020 at 6:02 PM, drpaladin said:

Jason has so many fears. It's already clear Devyn and Jason balance each other out. Being on the track team should help Jason assimilate better at this new school.

I totally agree!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Of course I am upset by all of Jason's fears, but it is good that Devyn is there to provide him suport and perhaps after Jason gets integrated in the  new school some of those fears will work themselves out through familiarity with his surroundings. At any rate, Yeolde, I am enthralled by the story and the characters.

Mister Will

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I need a bit of help finding something that I think I read in the prior chapters.  I got the impression that Devyn thought or said something about burying his human part in the past/early childhood.  Was I just hallucinating, or did he think/say that?  If he did, can someone tell me which chapter?  I would like to read it again.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, raven1 said:

I need a bit of help finding something that I think I read in the prior chapters.  I got the impression that Devyn thought or said something about burying his human part in the past/early childhood.  Was I just hallucinating, or did he think/say that?  If he did, can someone tell me which chapter?  I would like to read it again.

That was in the start of Chapter 3

  • Love 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Yeoldebard said:

That was in the start of Chapter 3

Thanks for the help Yeoldebard.  I do try to keep up with the hints you throw at readers.  I never know when something may become significant in later chapters.😸

  • Love 3
Link to comment

A  new brother could have cause some discomfort and jealousy for Devyn, but he seems to be very happy with Jason. 😸

I also think that Jason and Dylan need to talk.  It is obvious that Jacob's education did not include Neko history or culture, so he is oblivious to the problem.  Dylan's and Damian's experiences leave them distrustful of any other Neko, and they assume Jason is probably a bias bigot like most Nekos. 🖖

I think the main problem between Devyn and his mother may be the guilt she has from mistake she made from ignorance. A mistake made because she did not attend the wolf class she desperately wants Devyn to take. Because of her mistake, Devyn is a wolf man, not a werewolf.  Devyn is proud of his wolf.

"And it wasn't like he had a human side. That part of him had been chased out when he was a kid, and Devyn was proud of it. No, he was all wolf, just with a human form." Quoted from Chpt 3. 

Devyn resents being in human form, often reacting instinctively instead of logically, and hates the idea of becoming more human.  Every time he acts like a wolf, his mother is reminded of her mistake. Every time she tries to correct Devyn he resents her rejection of his wolf.  

I would like to know what happened to cause Dylan to chase out the human part when he was a kid.  Anyone have ideas?

  • Love 4
Link to comment
On 11/29/2021 at 10:48 AM, raven1 said:

A  new brother could have cause some discomfort and jealousy for Devyn, but he seems to be very happy with Jason. 😸

I also think that Jason and Dylan need to talk.  It is obvious that Jacob's education did not include Neko history or culture, so he is oblivious to the problem.  Dylan's and Damian's experiences leave them distrustful of any other Neko, and they assume Jason is probably a bias bigot like most Nekos. 🖖

I think the main problem between Devyn and his mother may be the guilt she has from mistake she made from ignorance. A mistake made because she did not attend the wolf class she desperately wants Devyn to take. Because of her mistake, Devyn is a wolf man, not a werewolf.  Devyn is proud of his wolf.

"And it wasn't like he had a human side. That part of him had been chased out when he was a kid, and Devyn was proud of it. No, he was all wolf, just with a human form." Quoted from Chpt 3. 

Devyn resents being in human form, often reacting instinctively instead of logically, and hates the idea of becoming more human.  Every time he acts like a wolf, his mother is reminded of her mistake. Every time she tries to correct Devyn he resents her rejection of his wolf.  

I would like to know what happened to cause Dylan to chase out the human part when he was a kid.  Anyone have ideas?

Pretty much exactly how I'm reading it, Margaret is guilty, focusing too much on changing something she sees as an issue that will make her son's life harder rather than accepting who he is. Sounds familiar - I love how Yeoldebard takes themes and presents them as metaphor.

 

As to why Devyn pushed out his human side - likely for this precise reason. He was pushed to embrace it rather than encouraged to. The analogy with Jordan's issues in Damian's Wolf is a good one.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..