It's Time to Go by Bardeara

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

There are some stories that make you go back and read again because you've suddenly realised that things weren't as you first thought. This is one of those stories.

When I started it, my first reaction was that Hayden suffered from some mental illness. The way he was searching, the way he called out to Darin for help, and then how he immediately stopped as soon as he heard Darin, all combined to make he think he wasn't thinking 100% rationally. I was right, but not in the way I expected.

I can't really talk about this story without giving away the ending -- the subtleties are only obvious the second time through. For example:

Today, Hayden noticed how extra-dressed up Darin was, sizing him up from top to bottom, and knew exactly why he

Yes Graeme, 'masterpiece' is the word to describe it!

I really don't know what to say about it. Bardeara is a damn good writer; he's able to tell the most difficult emotions in the best way. Amazing!

The story is quite complex but I think I got it. I had to back after the firts read too. It helped to understand it better.

Take care,

Ieshwar

As I read this, I kept hoping they'd make up and stay together. Then came the box.

Last weekend at my mother's house we came upon a box, too. Her's is still empty waiting for the day when someone will put her in there, but she's chosen another place to spend eternity.

You know the box when you come to it. There was no doubt in my mind what the box was for. Then the brass plate with Darin's name engraved on it said a lot.

I suppose the only thing I missed was the reason for Darin's passing. Was it age or some malady? It probably doesn't really matter, though, at least not for the impact of the box.

Great story Bardeara.

Carl :boy:

Brilliant indeed!!

Kevin, I know I've told you this already, but this is by far your best short story. This one is an emotional roller coaster. I also had to go back and pick up the subtleties in this story. Absolutely splendid tale.

Hugs, :wub:

Rick

can someone clarify to me what the box is for? it seems to be beyond my grasp right now. it could be that there is a drill droning away somewhere and it is too early in the morning for anyone to be awake.

all in all, i loved it! really great story, the twist was great, made me go back and re-read it to pick out all the dual meanings.

• Site Administrator
can someone clarify to me what the box is for? it seems to be beyond my grasp right now. it could be that there is a drill droning away somewhere and it is too early in the morning for anyone to be awake.

all in all, i loved it! really great story, the twist was great, made me go back and re-read it to pick out all the dual meanings.

It's a funeral urn -- it contains the ashes of his deceased partner Darin.

Kevin

This is another one of your amazing roller coaster stories. You know how much I love It's Time To Go, I must have told you so a dozen times or more! And I agree with the others when I say that your writing keeps getting better and better all the time.

I laughed and I cried when I read this story. Even though I was reading it, when you were still writing it and you revised the ending, and I knew what was coming, I still cried.

You should feel very proud of this story, and quite rightly. It is brilliant!

Congratulations on another brilliant tale from the Bard.

Bev

I cried!!!

I Fu**ing CRIED!! I haven't done that since I read Ryan Kieth's One Life!

And that, Bard, is a compliment!

Wow! I read it three times, I liked it so much. And each time I had my eyes wet.

This a beautiful story, one that will go straight to the list of GREAT stories.

Thanks for giving us this masterpiece....

BeaStKid

• 3 months later...

I'm still new here, so I'm just getting around to reading these stories.

I just read this one and I have to say *sniffles* *wipes eyes* that this story hit home with me, and that it is simple a beautiful tale, even as angst filled as it was.

*hugs* Wonderful story and I hope to continue to read your stories, Bard.