GA Get-Together (post-2007 and planning for 2008)

Trebs

2008 GA Get-together planning  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What city for 2008?

• New York City (and I'll probably go)
    • New York City (though I prob won't go)
    • Dallas, TX (and I'll probably go)
    • Dallas, TX (though I prob won't go)
  2. 2. What date(s) look good for you? (can choose more than 1)

• June 6-8, 2008 weekend
    • Nov 7-9, 2008 weekend
    • Dec 12-14, 2008 weekend

The 2007 GA Get-together in San Francisco was a BLAST! Sorry to say that Eggman didn't make it, but everyone else did and it was a lot of fun for me to meet and get to know everyone. We even got a group pic of the 11 of us outside of the restaurant that I'll post tomorrow.

There's already been talk about doing another get-together next year and the two most likely suspects for locations are New York City or Dallas area. I know this still would be far to travel from non-US locations, and not everyone will be able to make it - but again, this would only be the 2nd get-together and future ones may be closer to where you live.

If you could take a second and take the above poll, we'll have some idea of what people are leaning toward. This get-together was just dinner (though many of us met up at other points as well) - but the thought for next year (especially if more people attend) is a few items throughout a weekend, but also with a lot of free time for free time and/or sight-seeing...

NONE of this is set-in-stone - so if anyone has other ideas and/or suggestions - POST 'em :-)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naturally I voted for the city, but I probably won't [be able to] go. I chose June since that's summertime and November since it's at least mid-semester and unlikely to have midterms since engineers typically get several exams each semester that are more dispersed. As for summer, I'll be working full time and will likely have two summer classes unless I can kill one during the winter break. That weekend in December is likely a finals area, so no, lol.

I voted for dallas, as it is the most likely place I would be able to get to, though it is still unlikely as I'll be in england for most of the next three years.

And really big citys creep me out.

Edited by Andy

I voted for the big Apple, because its the cheapest solution for me :lol: .My chances to cross the Ocean are almost 1 %, but who knows, perhaps i could combine with a meeting with my old relatives in the States (if they remain alive till than)....

BTW, why not organize something similar among the European members ? Between GB, Germany, France, Italy (and Switzerland !), we should be enough to gather the same number of participants as in SF ! Perhaps somebody in GB (where the most European members live) could be interested ? What do you think about ?

What about England? That would be cool. And it's probable that I'll be there (not sure but be optimist) next year from Aug- Sep onwards!

And I agree with old bob. Why not a european GA convention? :D

Ieshwar

i picked nyc

since i live in nyc ill be able to make it there with no problem at all

and if its a weekend thing it will be a HUGE chance i can make it unless its someones birthday weding blah blah

I'd thought about offering an alternate location, like England or Austrailia - but personally, it isn't something I can organize (as I don't know either place)... BUT - having said that, if anyone wants to step up and organize such a gathering - GREAT!

Perhaps organize it so that each gathering occurs at the exact same moment in time and we can contact eachother? As in, the England meeting occurs at night and the NYC meeting occurs five hours earlier (1pm EST, 6pm GMT, or whatever the time differance is)?

I chose NYC cause I've always wanted to visit the city. I chose the June and Nov dates cause it's too cold in Dec! :D

I would have loved to go to the get-together this year but it was already at the end of a 2 week vacation already planned. I had too much to do when I got home to extend my vacation a few extra days to join the group in SF.

I chose NYC cause I've always wanted to visit the city. I chose the June and Nov dates cause it's too cold in Dec! :D

I would have loved to go to the get-together this year but it was already at the end of a 2 week vacation already planned. I had too much to do when I got home to extend my vacation a few extra days to join the group in SF.

NYC for me, though TX would be good too.... But i always wanted to vist NYC so thats my vote haha.

So trebs shows us them hot pictures!!! haha =D

Glad you guys had a great time.

B) ......Well I chose Dallas because its closer and November (cooler weather). June is too hot in Texas, November too cool in NYC although I would like to see New York one day, (Just not that day :P )

• Site Administrator
I'd thought about offering an alternate location, like England or Austrailia - but personally, it isn't something I can organize (as I don't know either place)... BUT - having said that, if anyone wants to step up and organize such a gathering - GREAT!

I haven't voted because I don't think I should have any say in the location or dates since it's effectively impossible for me to attend. As for organising something in Australia, I think we have less than a dozen active Australian or New Zealand members and I, for one, wouldn't be able to go for personal reasons.

Having said that, Australia in November/December can be really nice. If you pick Queensland for the destination, most of the year is really nice. :D It's just really expensive to get here for everyone who wants to attend from overseas....

I'm glad everyone had a great time and I hope this becomes a semi-regular occurrence.

True - the group shots make Joe look like he's a bit drunk, even though he was totally sober. It's one reason I included the shots with you and Viv - both of you looks SO great when you're laughing and blushing - heh, which was most of the time...

I look stoned in those pictures, but I swear I'm not. I can't take pictures with flashes at night, I always blink.

B) .......At least they weren't holding you up :P:P great pics guys, really wished I could have made it

I voted for Dallas in June. June will most likely be my own Family's vacation month so I'll be able to sneak away myself.. lol.. since I don't vacation with them... as I wouldn't enjoy it. Anyway, I chose Dallas because New York has always been somewhere I wanted to visit, but it's also somewhere that I know would overwhelm me. I won't make any of these trips alone.

Krista

It was truly a good time, though I have to say the view from twin peaks was amazing and even trumped diner for me. Thanks DK and Trebs for suggesting that. I had a good time even if I was a tad on the quiet side at diner.

I enjoyed meeting everyone and look forward to doing it again.

how could joe not look cute?