Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes, Chapter 4

I have the unpleasant feeling the "contact", an "unnamed man" who won't tell his name and who got deaf because of a recent explosion could be some old acquaintance... At first I wondered whether it was Yuri, but could BOTH Yuri and the Scar have survived?

As for Eric, he's going through lots of efforts to set up a party he's likely to ruin by drinking too much tequila...

Great job CJ!

As for Eric, he's going through lots of efforts to set up a party he's likely to ruin by drinking too much tequila...

And speaking from experience, I've never ruined a party by drinking too much tequila (i'm standin up for the Eric's lol)

Eric

Thanks!! :)

BTW, I just wanted to clear up one small thing.. The contact has a Russian accent. The Scar wasn't russian. Dimitri was, but Dimitri is dead. The Scar, if alive, would also be missing an arm at the very least. The contact isn't. The contact isn't The Scar. :)

• Site Moderator

BTW, I just wanted to clear up one small thing.. The contact has a Russian accent. The Scar wasn't russian. Dimitri was, but Dimitri is dead. The Scar, if alive, would also be missing an arm at the very least. The contact isn't. The contact isn't The Scar. :)

You beat me to the punch. I was going to say something about that. There was no mention of a missing arm or an artificial one. Then again, you do like to try and mislead us a bit.

It was good to see the paparazzi get something this time round. But I don't think we've quite seen the last of them yet.

Well, the general is either unrealistically naive (unlikely), or has allowed his fear for his son's life to seriously cloud his judgment (much more likely). At first, you set it up so it seemed like he had a solid plan, but now it seems like he's going off half-cocked like some amateur, making stupid mistakes and making himself extremely vulnerable.

Why do I get the feeling that Chase and Brandon's bachelor party is going to happen right next door to a clandestine mercenary training facility? "Near Africa", indeed.

At least we have a setup for a big showdown...

Great chapter CJ! :)

Why do I get the feeling that Chase and Brandon's bachelor party is going to happen right next door to a clandestine mercenary training facility? "Near Africa", indeed.

That was my first thought when I heard the "location" too.

I know this is Eric's story, but I can't help missing Chase and Brandon. :wub:

I noticed the "near Africa" location. If any of the Instinct crew see General Bradson, it could be devastating for someone.

:( ........sigh, can't comment as of yet, will read chapter tomorrow as I e-mailed it back to me at work (SLOW Days)

Great chapter CJ! :)

That was my first thought when I heard the "location" too.

I know this is Eric's story, but I can't help missing Chase and Brandon. :wub:

I know I like brandon a lot :)

Helen might be hurt, somehow I think Brandon would help get the son back if it came to that.

I have the unpleasant feeling the "contact", an "unnamed man" who won't tell his name and who got deaf because of a recent explosion could be some old acquaintance... At first I wondered whether it was Yuri, but could BOTH Yuri and the Scar have survived?

B) ..............a man in superb physical condition, and whom the General thought altogether incongruously young to be in need of the hearing aid that bedecked his left ear. The General guessed that the aid was some sort of bug detector and in that, he was half-right. The man

And speaking from experience, I've never ruined a party by drinking too much tequila (i'm standin up for the Eric's lol)

Well, not that we were under assault, but speaking for the Kevin's, I've made quite a few parties more fun by drinking too much tequila 0:)

Well, the general is either unrealistically naive (unlikely), or has allowed his fear for his son's life to seriously cloud his judgment (much more likely). At first, you set it up so it seemed like he had a solid plan, but now it seems like he's going off half-cocked like some amateur, making stupid mistakes and making himself extremely vulnerable.

That's what I was thinking too.

I also noticed that it seemed as though this gentleman was too young. I would suspect then that it was Jerry's contact and not Jerry himself.

I can't wait to see what develops next!

-Kevin

I have a question regarding the paparazzi.

Paparazzi is a plural term, meaning more than one. The singular is Paparazzo. In LTMP, I used "Papparazzi" as both singular and plural, as this is how people in the industry refer to them. "I had a damn paparazzi on my front lawn!"

In the dialog, this is quite okay, but in a third-person narration, should I have done this (in the narration)? I did it mainly for simplicity, but it is an inaccurate usage.

So, my question is, should I go back and fix in in the posted chapters of Changing Lanes (and maybe LTMP)? If I shift over to using the correct terms in the narration, I'd IMHO need to do so consistently, which would mean changing the posted chapters. I can do this easily with Changing Lanes as there aren't many chapters.

Please let me know what you think.

CJ :)

• Site Administrator

While technically paparazzo (I found dictionary references that say paparazzo is the term, with paparazzi being the plural term) may be the singular, in common English usage, you'll probably find that paparazzi is both singular and plural. It's not correct, given the Italian derivation of the term, but it's what people recognise.

I wouldn't be concerned. You could change it to be correct, and hence educate we dumb masses that didn't realise there's a different term for the singular, but that's up to you :D

I have a question regarding the paparazzi.

Paparazzi is a plural term, meaning more than one. The singular is Paparazzo. In LTMP, I used "Papparazzi" as both singular and plural, as this is how people in the industry refer to them. "I had a damn paparazzi on my front lawn!"

In the dialog, this is quite okay, but in a third-person narration, should I have done this (in the narration)? I did it mainly for simplicity, but it is an inaccurate usage.

So, my question is, should I go back and fix in in the posted chapters of Changing Lanes (and maybe LTMP)? If I shift over to using the correct terms in the narration, I'd IMHO need to do so consistently, which would mean changing the posted chapters. I can do this easily with Changing Lanes as there aren't many chapters.

Please let me know what you think.

CJ :)

CJ, I think "paparazzi" is acceptable for singular as well as plural in English. It's not an English word; plurals are not formed in English as they are in Italian. If you start writing in Italian, you would be wrong.

Edited by MikeL
While technically paparazzo (I found dictionary references that say paparazzo is the term, with paparazzi being the plural term) may be the singular, in common English usage, you'll probably find that paparazzi is both singular and plural. It's not correct, given the Italian derivation of the term, but it's what people recognise.

I wouldn't be concerned. You could change it to be correct, and hence educate we dumb masses that didn't realise there's a different term for the singular, but that's up to you :D

It was the regognition issue that made me take that route initially. I already, per necessity, had to do a lot of "educating" in LTMP (such as related to the technology) so I figured enough was probably already too much. LoL!

CJ, I think "paparazzi" is acceptable for singular as well as plural in English. It's not an English word; plurals are not formed in English as they are in Italian. If you start writing in Italian, you would be wrong.

If I start writing in Italian, there would be far more problems than that. ! LoL! Thanks...

Oh, BTW, yes, Senior Frogs is real. And yes, I've been there (to the one in Grand Cayman). To be honest, I didn't find the food that good, but it was a unique name so it found its way into the story (besides, i knew it would catch the eye our you, our resident amphibian!) :)

I know i'm coming in a bit late to the question about the paparazzi, but i've always seen the word used in both the singular form and the plural form (and to reference, see TMZ.com)

As always CJ, amazing job with the chapter and can't wait for more :D

I liked this chapter and am looking forward to the next one. The paparazzi thing is a small issue if it is one at all. I like paparazo when you meen only one. It is a little clearer to me but I'm the sort of person who gets anoyed when someone calls radii radiuses.

Its to bad the contact is not the Scar. I was hoping someone would rebuild him as some sort of bionic Darth Vader type. I'm pretty sure CJ has the technical skill by now. After building an atomic bomb, could building a cyborg really be that hard?

Actually, it is not impossible with today's prosthetic limbs and plastic surgery to reconstruct scar into anyone. It would be a funny twist if Scar is some one newly introduced into the mix. The manager of the strip club, a contact of the mercs, or some one brand new. We know the guy loves disguises so why not? Beware!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..