Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes 10: Dance with the Devil

• Site Moderator
but I think Jensen and Keith would be a better pair to try it out with. Maybe, Eric needs a new threesome, hehe! Don't touch your bro's man.

But if Eric mentioned these two, it could ruin the party. Not that it looks like there will be one now.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ACK! I cringe to say this, but Shadowgod is right, and so is everyone else who points out that Jack Daniels is not a bourbon!

I did a little research and found out that JD is made like any Bourbon, BUT it is then charcoal filtered. This is called the Lincoln County Process, and is the only difference between a Tennessee Sour Mash Whiskey and a Bourbon. Also basically all Bourbons are sour mash.

So, Jack Daniels does taste like a bourbon, and thus is often listed on menus, eroniously, as such (and that's where my goof came from).

So... I goofed! Therefor, I can see only two options: Change "Jack Daniels" to "Jim Beam" (which is a bourbon) OR, change the chapter cites of bourbon to whiskey. I'm in favor of doing the former, as bourbon is mentioned four times. BUT, Jack Daniels and not Jim Beam was the perennial favorite of the bikers I knew.

However, having "bourbon" is useful in other ways (Makes it easier to pin the blame for this mess on Shadowgod).

Any opinions on which should be changed?

Just change the references to bourbon to alcohol.

I played around with that after seeing this post... I dunno, it just doesn't seem to fit right, but it's a styalistic thing. I'm leaning to "whiskey" at the moment.

BTW, your post was spot-on;

Important in the marketplace is Tennessee whiskey, of which Jack Daniel's is the leading example. During distillation, it is identical to bourbon in almost every important respect. The most recognizable difference is that Tennessee whiskey is filtered through sugar maple charcoal, giving it a unique flavor and aroma. The Government of the United States of America officially recognized Tennessee whiskey as a separate style in 1941.

That's actually more accurate than my post and research. Mine was quite hasty. I was the first post on the issue and jumped to google, pronto! LoL...

BTW, Jack Daniels is listed on some menus as Bourbon (It sure as heck is in the Navigator Bar on the SS Westerdamn!), which is how I made this goof.

Basically, is there a good way to avoid these sort of errors? Look up everything whether one knows it or not?

Oh, and I'll opine that Shadowgod is evil: he's got a bottle of Jack Daniels handy! (he checked the label, so he must have one handy! How evil!). What a shady character... and yet he's also right: I checked in my living room bar: both the regular and green lable Jack are sour mash whiskey, not bourbon. Oh, one other thing I see: the older bottle (a black lable) is 90 proof, but a newer one is 80!

• Site Administrator
Oh, and I'll opine that Shadowgod is evil: he's got a bottle of Jack Daniels handy! (he checked the label, so he must have one handy! How evil!).

Okay, so Shadowgod having one bottle of JD makes him evil ???

What a shady character... and yet he's also right: I checked in my living room bar: both the regular and green lable Jack are sour mash whiskey, not bourbon. Oh, one other thing I see: the older bottle (a black lable) is 90 proof, but a newer one is 80!

Ah, by your logic then you are twice as evil as him :P

Okay, so Shadowgod having one bottle of JD makes him evil ???

Ah, by your logic then you are twice as evil as him :P

ACK! NO!!! Wildone, you just don't see, do you? Isn't anything involving shadowgod evil by definition?

BTW, the references to bourbon in the chapter have been changed to whiskey, except for one where I took Graeme's excellent suggestion and made it alcohol.

BTW, on the biker fight issue, Benji and MikeL got it right: It's a respect thing. HAving Brandon take down the biker who had attacked him worked on several levels, not the least of which was earning Brandon some "respect" with the bikers, to hopefully mitigate future problems.

Brandon got very lucky; Bruno's distraction came at the perfect time. What was really lucky is Jim's recovery; had he not recovered, Mad Mike was ready to step in, likely igniting a war between some elements of the two clubs.

The irony is that it was Brandon's idea for a the fight; he's the one wo convinced Jim that a fight would be ok, Jim would enjoy it, so go ahead and invite him and Chase to the party. Brandon didn't know he'd be the one fighting, lol. Irony. LoL.

Of course, General Bradson is counting on Eric's pre-wedding excursion to get to the Cape Verde islands... If the wedding is canceled, the General will have a problem...

Oh, and I'll opine that Shadowgod is evil: he's got a bottle of Jack Daniels handy! (he checked the label, so he must have one handy! How evil!). What a shady character... and yet he's also right: I checked in my living room bar: both the regular and green lable Jack are sour mash whiskey, not bourbon. Oh, one other thing I see: the older bottle (a black lable) is 90 proof, but a newer one is 80!

st_OldNo7_pic.jpgfamily_single_pic.jpgGJ750.jpg

i-voted.gif...soberly.

Edited by MikeL
So... I goofed! Therefor, I can see only two options: Change "Jack Daniels" to "Jim Beam" (which is a bourbon) OR, change the chapter cites of bourbon to whiskey. I'm in favor of doing the former, as bourbon is mentioned four times. BUT, Jack Daniels and not Jim Beam was the perennial favorite of the bikers I knew.

Right about that! Jack Daniels is the Official Spirit Sponsor of the Sturgis Rally.

motorcyle_title_pic.jpg

i-voted.gif

CJ, why must you always accuse Shadowgod of being evil whilst denying your own evil. After all, Shadowgod is one of your pupils. Thus, you are even more evil. Considering this EEEVIL cliffhanger, it just proves more and more just how evil you are. :evil:

This could also be the end of the band.

B) ...........No, trials and tribulations for the band? Yes, but they have been there and done that before. So I see no end to the band, is CJ too slow in bringing on the element of un-content surprise? Has the villain made his temperance too late? Not surprising since few readers had predicted it to happen ( chokes, thank-you ). So as I see it. the next chapter has to be a real clifhanger with many aspects going on at once. (In otherwords, we need his Shadowyness's influence on this chapter) 0:)

You can't go wrong with sex and violence. I loved this chapter! It was pure Murphey's law (happening to someone else).

Let me get this straight though, Brandon got involved with Eric because of a head injury! Does that work on everyone? I would think a head ache would put a damper on someone's love life.

• Site Moderator
You can't go wrong with sex and violence. I loved this chapter! It was pure Murphey's law (happening to someone else).

Let me get this straight though, Brandon got involved with Eric because of a head injury! Does that work on everyone? I would think a head ache would put a damper on someone's love life.

The head injury, coupled with the booze starting to kick in is the problem. Brandon did try to resist but with the position he's in prevented him from protesting too much.

• Site Moderator
I agree, Jan. It's difficult to resist in such a weakened state. I just hope that Chase understands.

Chase is going to be devastated when he finds out. This is after all, his first relationship.

Even if none of the bikers tells him, I think Brandon will. I don't think Brandon could hide it from him. Chase may or may not forgive him right away and if he does, there's still the trust issue from all fronts.

Then there's the one person we haven't mentioned yet, and no, I don't mean Helen. How's Jon going to react to all of this?

Chase is going to be devastated when he finds out. This is after all, his first relationship.

Even if none of the bikers tells him, I think Brandon will. I don't think Brandon could hide it from him. Chase may or may not forgive him right away and if he does, there's still the trust issue from all fronts.

Then there's the one person we haven't mentioned yet, and no, I don't mean Helen. How's Jon going to react to all of this?

B) .........There is a way out, the goat always skirts these never ending cliffhangers! :lol: I mean it is dark they could break apart before anyone happens upon them, thereby avoiding discovery! Brandon will have to confess to Chase, but with Eric's groveling before his brother and swearing off tequila 0:) for forever. Chase will see it as an unlikely misguided adventure concocted with booze and injury. BTW, the title 'Dance with the Devil' me thinks refers to two red eyes that were seen close to the barn, and we all know who those belong to. :devil:

Edited by Benji

OK, I get the "respect" thing, but I think differently about Brandon after seeing him act like this. I would have liked to see him find some more civilised way of dealing with the bikers - I thought he was better than that.

Mind you, I'm slightly more concerned with what he thinks he's playing at with Eric right now. Perhaps incipient concussion is partly to blame, but he's going to have his work cut out convincing Chase.

And, what's with Tequila anyway? I take it there's something in it other than alcohol since Eric doesn't act like this after drinking beer, or even other spirits.

LF

OK, I get the "respect" thing, but I think differently about Brandon after seeing him act like this. I would have liked to see him find some more civilised way of dealing with the bikers - I thought he was better than that.

Mind you, I'm slightly more concerned with what he thinks he's playing at with Eric right now. Perhaps incipient concussion is partly to blame, but he's going to have his work cut out convincing Chase.

And, what's with Tequila anyway? I take it there's something in it other than alcohol since Eric doesn't act like this after drinking beer, or even other spirits.

LF

:lol: ..............I know for a fact that certain liquors will have different effects on certain people. I have witnessed where a normal person, who can handle almost all kinds of liquor will get a bit crazy on Tequila. There is nothing civilized about 'real' bikers. :P

Good points. :)

One thing though, how involved is Brandon with Eric? Brandon was about to say something to stop Eric when Eric's tounge intruded, lol.

Brandon then tried to push Eric away, but Brandon has bruised ribs which are by that point hindering him, plus he bumped his head on a rock, distracting him a little. Eric is also his close friend, so he was a little slow in reacting, not wanting to hurt Eric at what he knows is a delicate state in Eric's life. And how far have they gone? We don't really know, yet. :)

LF

Thanks for bringing this up. I was hoping someone would. :)

Okay, Brandon understands why Jim is having him take the fight to a conclusion. Bruno (the biker Brandon fought) staged a two-against one ambush on Brandon, AND used a chain. You don't do that if you just want to beat someone up. Remember also that part of the reason is to prevent a similar occurance from happening again. Chase is at risk too.

There was another part of this, though. You mention finding some more civilized way. Like what? If we sit and think about it, I'm sure we could come up with something, given time. However, time is the key word there, and that's what I was trying to show; the difference between hindsight and having to make an instant decision. I think it's a bit much to expect Brandon to think of some other way out instantly, as he'd have to. I wanted to show that, because it's always been a pet peeve of mine that historians tend to analyze the decisions of commanders in a battle in a similar manner; expecting them to make a careful, difficult sequence of logical deductions when an instant snap decision was all that they had time for (that's always been a pet peeve of mine regarding the historical analysis of certain battles). I'll also note that in spite of having every reason to do as Jim asked, Brandon did not take it to that level. Jim told him to break fingers, mark up Bruno's face, etc. Brandon didn't do it.

Hrmm, I think this means I need to explain things more in the narration when I'm trying to show something along those lines.

CJ :)

:lol: ..............I know for a fact that certain liquors will have different effects on certain people. I have witnessed where a normal person, who can handle almost all kinds of liquor will get a bit crazy on Tequila.

Absolutely. I happen to be one of 'em. LoL. Eric's "Tequila problem" is based on me, though I'm not affected to quite the degree he is.

:)

• Site Administrator

Well we are all forgetting the fact that Brandon did cut off the conversation and the call with Chase as he was about to tell him something else about Eric when he is drunk on tequila.

I'm going have to say that it has to be about the conversation that Eric and Chase had way back when (hopefully this isn't a spoiler to anyone, but if you haven't read LTMP, then STOP!!!)

Eric admitted that he had a crush or the hots for Brandon to Chase.

In a perfect world (unfortunately we are in the a world where a goat writes gay fiction :P ), Chase may have shared this revelation with Brandon as hopefully there is no secrets between them. If Brandon were to say something about this

crush

, don't you think it would stop Eric cold? Hopefully in enough time for Eric to get his hand off of Brandon's Little Brandon and give Brandon enough time to separate from Eric before the bikers discover them.

I guess we will have to wait to see what the goat has up his sleeve.....er, his fur on his foreleg :blink: .

Steve B)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..