Member Display Name Makeovers

NaperVic

37 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about members changing their GA Display Names?

• It confuses me. Once you have a name, you should stick with it!
    • Meh, doesn't bother me
    • I like being able to change my name to reflect changes in myself
    • My name was changed for me, I'm not in control!

• Site Administrator

Most of the time, I can work out who the member is fairly quickly. A lot of the time, they'll use similar names. When they don't, it usually becomes obvious in context -- such as when I noticed the new name against old posts or threads.

Most of the time, I can work out who the member is fairly quickly. A lot of the time, they'll use similar names. When they don't, it usually becomes obvious in context -- such as when I noticed the new name against old posts or threads.

Everyone should be allowed to change their name I mean at least once. Yes it can be confusing but some people just decide maybe thats not the name they want to use. But you shouldn't be changing it like a new one every week or something, then it just gets really confusing.

I dislike it. Especially as a newcomer, I see old posts, trying to figure out who's who and have very little luck sometimes.

It's something the mods should do via a request from the member. (There ARE good reasons sometimes why a name should be changed).

My two pence/cents/etc.

Some people like a little bit of change.. :P But eh, I think I'll be Krista for as long as I'm on here.. lol.. I am easily confused by name changes.. but I view name change histories when one strikes me as odd...

Like.. Chubi.. Michelle! :P

Over the years here at GA, I've noticed some members change their display names. At times this can be confusing, especially in Chat & Forum posts.

What do you think?

Eh, personally I don't care for it. Gets kinda old and annoying. But then maybe I'm just no fun :boy:

I agree that it isn't so bad if it's only done rarely to reflect a long term change that the member feels is necessary. I guess maybe once every year or so seems okay. More than that and I find it a bit tiresome.

It's something the mods should do via a request from the member. (There ARE good reasons sometimes why a name should be changed).

I wouldn't be opposed to that at all 0:)

Kevin (who still has the same display name he registered with)

Some people like a little bit of change.. :P But eh, I think I'll be Krista for as long as I'm on here.. lol.. I am easily confused by name changes.. but I view name change histories when one strikes me as odd...

Like.. Chubi.. Michelle! :P

How do you view name change histories?

membername by every post click on the name a menu drops down there is a selection for display name history

These are the only choices I get:

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts

Am I in the wrong place or doing something wrong?

These are the only choices I get:

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Topics

Find Member's Posts

Am I in the wrong place or doing something wrong?

I think it's a mod and admin right feature.

I feel so uncool :(

hrmm I lied go to the member profile there is a options menu to the lef. under the rating and user photo. it should be listed there. No it is not a mod or admin limited feature, if mikeL got the info its open to all of you.

hrmm I lied go to the member profile there is a options menu to the lef. under the rating and user photo. it should be listed there. No it is not a mod or admin limited feature, if mikeL got the info its open to all of you.

Thanks Steve. I mean, if a lowly peon like Mike L can get it, it's a relief to know that I can too. :D (Mike, just teasing!)

How do you view name change histories?
Thanks Steve. I mean, if a lowly peon like Mike L can get it, it's a relief to know that I can too. :D (Mike, just teasing!)

Peon?

Here are the steps you need:

1. Click on username (top left of any post).

2. Click on "View Member Profile".

3. Click on "Options" drop down box.

4. Click on "Members Display Name History".

That's it. Next time you need help, Mark, just check with a peon. :P