When you peel an egg..

Aeroplane

Peeling a hard-boiled egg.  

35 members have voted

1. 1. When you peel the egg do you..

• smash a hole in the egg, with a spoon, and then peel it with your fingers.
    • use the technique described below.
    • use some other tool.
    • You have never peeled an egg.
    • use a different technique.
    • not use any tool.

When I peel a hard-boiled egg, I smash a small hole in the wider end with a spoon, and then put the spoon through the hole i made and under the shell, enabling me to just pull the shell off and leave the egg intact.

Im curious, I am alone among my friends in using this technique, which I believe to be faster and less damaging on the eggs.

So I put it to you, dear readers - who uses the same technique?

(I think the poll choices cover all the possible options)

Edited by Xeran

• Site Administrator
I just tap the one end of the egg against counter and then peel it with fingers. The only moments this doesnt work well if the egg isnt boiled all the way and its still soft (also when that thin skin on the egg doesnt come off with the shell).

That's pretty much the same technique that I use. What I tap the egg against to break the shell varies, but once it's broken, I peel the shell off with my fingers.

That's pretty much the same technique that I use. What I tap the egg against to break the shell varies, but once it's broken, I peel the shell off with my fingers.

Ditto for me, smash on counter, peel with fingers. Salt & Pepper, enjoy!

I voted that I never peel an egg.

This is because I detest them in any form and however they are cooked. Even just the smell of an egg makes me nauseous.

Apart from the disgusting taste and texture, how could anyone consider eating part of a bird's reproductive equipment that has been passed through the same passage as the bird's sh*t?

I know they are in cakes, which I usually like, and I can usually pretend to myself that they are not there... though sometimes I can detect an egginess in some cakes and then it makes me feel like puking.

YUCH YUCH YUCH YUCH!!!

I like most eggs boiled only 3 minutes, I choosed technique Nr. 1 , but only the first part. Once the top is away, I dig inside with a spoon.

for hard boiled eggs, I use same technique as Dion.

BTW, what is the real meaning of this poll ? :lol::blink::P

I voted that I never peel an egg.

This is because I detest them in any form and however they are cooked. Even just the smell of an egg makes me nauseous.

Apart from the disgusting taste and texture, how could anyone consider eating part of a bird's reproductive equipment that has been passed through the same passage as the bird's sh*t?

I know they are in cakes, which I usually like, and I can usually pretend to myself that they are not there... though sometimes I can detect an egginess in some cakes and then it makes me feel like puking.

YUCH YUCH YUCH YUCH!!!

This from someone living in a country with some of the blandest food I've ever tasted, as well as having taken over the country whose major contribution to the culinary world is Haggis? Tsk, tsk, tsk...you probably like beef tongue sandwiches, too! :wacko: :P:DB)

I agree with Jack. Any hard surface will do.

Then my dog tends to dig the shells out of the trash and eat them, so it's a win-win for both of us. I think of it as going green and not having as much trash :D

• Site Moderator

I usually tap it on the counter top all the way around, then apply a small amount of pressure to it which usually flips up a piece of shell. Depending on the use of the egg, I'll hold it under a small stream of running water. The water gets under that membrane, making the shell come off easier.

Well I accidentally voted that I've never peeled an egg, but that's a total fib :boy:

I very very rarely eat eggs. Not because I don't like them, I just seldom do it. When I do have eggs, if it's for an omelet or scrambled or in something, I just bang it against the side of the skillet or bowl and then separate and discard.

Boiled eggs though I love peeling. I'm a tad OCD about some things and peeling an egg is definitely one of them. I try to make the gentlest, smallest crack in the egg shell imaginable. I definitely wouldn't hit it with anything, I gently tap until I have a small crack. Then I pick off the smallest piece I can, and slowly, laboriously work my way out from the original hole.

Practical? No, but fun as hell :boy:

-Kevin

This from someone living in a country with some of the blandest food I've ever tasted, as well as having taken over the country whose major contribution to the culinary world is Haggis?

It's amazing how you can pack so much insult and inaccuracy into one sentence.

Your sampling of the country's food is either woefully out of date (pre 1990) or was based on a very unrepresentative sample.

Your knowledge of history is equally lacking. The centuries of warfare between England and Scotland culminated in a Scottish King James VI being crowned King James I of England. That may be interpreted as Scotland taking over England.

If you are referring to the later unification of the two kingdoms, then the Scottish parliament agreed to that, so it was hardly a takeover, except in the financial sense that Scotland was in financial difficulties and they agreed for financial reasons.

In the past I've advised ignorant people not to advertise their ignorance, but I no longer bother giving that advice as I've found they were too ignorant to take it.

Kit

Well for such an odd topic this has been very informative :D .

Given that since about the middle of the 16th century the british isles have been heavily involved in colonialism.. the original 'true british' food probably isnt particularly interesting since there was never any need to develop any. But I suspect that the 16th century peasants food from your country is not all that interesting either :) . We eat food from around the world as a matter of routine.

I used to bash the egg against something, but I found that I wanted more control and precision! So at first I used the spoon to make the hole, then moved on to doing all the work with it :) .

Interesting how for such a basic task there is a big disparity in the way it is done.

Boiled eggs though I love peeling. I'm a tad OCD about some things and peeling an egg is definitely one of them. I try to make the gentlest, smallest crack in the egg shell imaginable. I definitely wouldn't hit it with anything, I gently tap until I have a small crack. Then I pick off the smallest piece I can, and slowly, laboriously work my way out from the original hole.

Kevin, you make it sound almost erotic. :P

I normally bang the egg a few times against the counter and open it with my hands. The part I hate about doing that is when I would over do it and the eggshell gets so many cracks, it becomes even harder to open it. Those small egg shell cracks start poking!

If you are referring to the later unification of the two kingdoms, then the Scottish parliament agreed to that, so it was hardly a takeover, except in the financial sense that Scotland was in financial difficulties and they agreed for financial reasons.

I believe that has changed again through a process called "devolution" which returned some power to a Scottish Parliament. I was in Edinburgh on July 1, 1999 when that occurred. It was a big surprise since there was, as usual, so little press coverage in the US.

As for the cuisine...I'm trying to be polite...I prefer American despite it's unhealthy nature. I actually liked haggis, but doubt it would be worth the effort of preparing it in a home kitchen. When a group of Americans I was with was offered "prune salad" as an appetizer, I was the only who made that choice. Everyone else was upset when I was served a shrimp cocktail (prawn salad).

It's funny how a little thing can color your thinking about a nation's food. I found some of the best English food in pubs. The first time I ordered a salad in a pub, I was served a bowl of lettuce...nothing else, just lettuce. When I requested salad dressing, I was given a little packet of mayonnaise. :P

• Site Administrator
As for the cuisine...I'm trying to be polite...I prefer American despite it's unhealthy nature. I actually liked haggis, but doubt it would be worth the effort of preparing it in a home kitchen. When a group of Americans I was with was offered "prune salad" as an appetizer, I was the only who made that choice. Everyone else was upset when I was served a shrimp cocktail (prawn salad).

I happen to like English cuisine. I remember a great pub called The Poacher's Pocket that we used to go to for meals on weekends when we wanted to treat ourselves. There are also a lot of fantastic Indian restaurants. I think it's a case of getting some local advice as to which places are good and which are not.

It's all about the fingers.

I have to make Egg Mayo at work all the time. Since you cut up the egg (or just smoosh it) it doesn't matter if you damage it taking the shell off so I just go for them like a psycho.

Poor eggs :(

If you must know, traditional breakfast in the USA (and as well as Canada) are heavily based on full English breakfast with mixes from other European traditions.

I rarely eat a full breakfast anyway. Only once or twice per year. I usually eat light to start my morning with cereal or oatmeal or bagel or croissant. Then I leave for school, picking up coffee on the way.

Edited by Jack Frost