What do you read?

My reading list would bore virtually everyone.

Right now I am reading the collected works of Engels and Marx. It is a 50 volume set, so I will be reading that for the next year or so.

I will take a break for the new Harry Potter book. Of course, I will get that done in a day.

My everyday reading consists of newspapers, current events magazines, political journals, article clippings, and whatever else that gets thrown on my desk.

Then there are the student essays and papers. That job would be much easier if students were taught how to write in high school.

Right now I am reading the collected works of Engels and Marx.  It is a 50 volume set, so I will be reading that for the next year or so.

I will take a break for the new Harry Potter book.  Of course, I will get that done in a day.

My everyday reading consists of newspapers, current events magazines, political journals, article clippings, and whatever else that gets thrown on my desk.

Then there are the student essays and papers.  That job would be much easier if students were taught how to write in high school.

Sounds like it even bores you

:king: Snow Dog

Hmm, Ender, you do know that Card is notoriously homophobic, right? Just thought I'd mention it. That said, I have read the Ender Series and its companions but I got them through the library so I didn't have to pay.

Well, I knew he was a Mormon, and lives in Greensboro, NC. Homophobia kinda goes with the territory in both cases. The guy can write though, so I try not to hold that against him too much. If I only read the works of authors I agreed with, that would tend to vastly reduce my options. Besides, I can't ever get the authors to return the philosophical questionnaires I send out. :P

For Summer Camp (Yes, I'm going to a reading summer camp...)

Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis

Most of Genesis - Either God or a bunch of old men

Plato - Can't remember off the top of my head what I'm supposed to read

The Oedipus Cycle - Socrates

I think there's more, but that's all I remember.

M.C. and Genesis? Someone trying to convert you? ;)

Anyway, I've read all of those (assuming it's Plato's Republic), and I can say that you shouldn't be too bored out of your mind.

For School

Heart of Darkness - Conrad

The Metamorphisis - Kafka

Crime and Punishment - Dostoyevsky

The Stranger - Camus

Madame Bovary - Maupassant

Waiting for Godot - Beckett

Long Days Journey into Night - O'Neill

No Exit - Satre

Hamlet - Shakespeare

Beloved - Toni Morrison

Things Fall Apart - Achebe

Out of this entire list I've read 4... Meh. I think I'm going to bull my way through Madame Bovary tonight and tomorrow. I tried to read Beloved and it's just too weird. I shudder at having to read it again. Ah well...

Well, you're one up on me. I've only read 3 of those: Heart of Darkness, Waiting for Godot, and Hamlet.

Any comments, things I should look out for? Comparisons to former reading lists?

//shadows

Have fun. The list seems rather hefty, but you seem like you're not too concerned about getting it done. ;)

Edited by Ender
Sometimes it is boring.  It requires alot of concentration and one has to be in the right mood.  But, it is part of my job and I love the teaching part of it.  It is a fair trade-off for me.

I did a lot of physics TAing in graduate school, I liked doing labs because, even though grading them was hell, getting to actually teach was great.

I'm not too worried about the list cause I know at what speed I can read. If I'd stop distracting myself.. has anyone read Dracula by the way? I am really enjoying it... I'd probably be done in about two weeks. At most. But umm, yes, it'll probably be cram cram cram the week before school starts.

And the conversion thing is happening because I'm attending a Catholic summer camp (A mini Great Books Program for those who know) and so they're focusing quite a bit on religion. That being said, I've gone to Catholic school for the past three years and they haven't converted me yet. I must say though, being taught about homosexuality (as part of our religion class) by a Catholic nun with a lesbian sister was certainly an interesting experience...There's nothing quite like being taught religion by a Nun who hates the Catholic Church.

//shadows

Plato - Can't remember off the top of my head what I'm supposed to read

The Oedipus Cycle - Socrates

Er...Sophocles?

Lol, thanks sumbloke. It's what happens when you're posting on a public terminal and you're rushed. I should know who wrote it, it's not like I haven't read it before... *sigh* Greek Tragedy can be rather amusing if you're in the right mind set. Perhaps that will be my light comedy for the summer :P

//shadows

My summer comedy is a marvellous satire on fashion by Euripides called Imendum...

Right now I am reading the collected works of Engels and Marx.  It is a 50 volume set, so I will be reading that for the next year or so.

Ye gods! I managed the first six chapters of Capital Vol I and that was only to be sure I could irritate the hell out of my philosophy teacher. We have the MECW - well my dad has it - but the whole thing is on-line now anyway. My punishment for my philosophy teacher next year is preparing Lenin's Coll. Works Vol 38 - the Philosophical Notebooks. That'll teach him to quote Simone Weill at me.

Then there are the student essays and papers.  That job would be much easier if students were taught how to write in high school.

We is tort to right! Its the innernet to blame for our bad writin coz we google, copy and paste.

It appears that most of my students wait until the last minute to write a 5 page paper.  They do not spend enough time proofing it.  I do not ask for much.  I just want them to stick to the argument and proof the paper.

Ok This is off-topic now so maybe a new thread? But anyway...

I go to a private school in the UK so I know that our curriculum is different. We are taught to write - and for essays (and lab reports etc) we're taught an actual method of outlining where we're expected to label the paragraphs by function so things like Background Statement Evidence Conclusion and so on. They don't ask us to prove that we did outlines for work we present but they expect the argumentation in an essay to be clear and preferably sound. Peeps I know who go to different schools tell me that they get no instruction in writing - no rhetoric, little grammar and not much more spelling. If you watch them plan an essay it goes "beginning, middle, end" and nothing much more. It's strange because usually I'd say our classes are much more content heavy than theirs - there's not much on skills, it's usually all about knowledge but in this one respect I think we get the better deal.

David Eddings:

The Belgariad (5 books)

The Mallorean (5 books)

Belgarath the Sorcerer

Polgara the Sorceress

He's one my favorite authors, also Terry Goodkind (Sword of Truth series) and Terry Brooks (all the Shannara series)

I'll read anything and everything, but I love fantasy, if you couldnt tell.., its so easy to lose yourself in a world of happy endings and easily identifiable villians..doesnt hurt the "hero" is ALWAYS a hottie

I went through a Historical Non-Fiction phase a while back that was enjoyable (The Last Alchemist, 1968, and Devil in the White City).

As far as periodicals, I live for the NY Times and obscure fashion/culture magazines (Dazed & Confused, Look-Look, and Paper) as well as New York, my almanac.

And as far as currently, I have a lot of summer work for history for which I just finished the Bookseller of Kabul (very, very good book), I only hope the ensuing essay will be as enjoyable. My second book for that course will be something else on Christian/Islam relations.

It appears that most of my students wait until the last minute to write a 5 page paper.  They do not spend enough time proofing it.  I do not ask for much.  I just want them to stick to the argument and proof the paper.

Ok This is off-topic now so maybe a new thread? But anyway...

I go to a private school in the UK so I know that our curriculum is different. We are taught to write - and for essays (and lab reports etc) we're taught an actual method of outlining where we're expected to label the paragraphs by function so things like Background Statement Evidence Conclusion and so on. They don't ask us to prove that we did outlines for work we present but they expect the argumentation in an essay to be clear and preferably sound. Peeps I know who go to different schools tell me that they get no instruction in writing - no rhetoric, little grammar and not much more spelling. If you watch them plan an essay it goes "beginning, middle, end" and nothing much more. It's strange because usually I'd say our classes are much more content heavy than theirs - there's not much on skills, it's usually all about knowledge but in this one respect I think we get the better deal.

Since ~90% of my writing is Scientific Technical, I simply use my Figures as an outline and write the words to introduce and explain them. There is nothing like a 400 page dissertaion to make you hate the sight of your own writing.