The Secret Life of the Overture Boys

I am loving this story. The sheer decadence of it is captivating.

I have heard it said that the kind of activitied Anderson gets up to have to be seen to be punished and I have to put in my two pennorth here. I have written pieces where the protagonist get away with crimes in that they are not brought to justice by the police but for me it is a matter of consequences and cost. Every action has a consequence and I don't think that a person has to be seen to be punished by law to make the story morally valid. There are many ways of being punished including punishing yourself. As long as the story shows that there are consequences to the action I feel that it is valid if the consequences are not necessarily legal or even physical.

Anderson is a tormented rat and I love him.

Chase,

This story is both intense and complex; you're creating a world within a world, a place to which (I suspect) few of us have been. It's enough like our world that we can feel comfortable in it, but different enough that we can feel frightened. Good work!

B).............A very captivating story Chase! Anderson is certainly the obnoxious rich brat whose decadent lifestyle may have contributed to the demise of Cassidy. Hard to tell whether its guilt or his drug induced state that haunt him, either way his resolution if any, will be hard if the competition is a ghost.

cool.gif.............A very captivating story Chase! Anderson is certainly the obnoxious rich brat whose decadent lifestyle may have contributed to the demise of Cassidy. Hard to tell whether its guilt or his drug induced state that haunt him, either way his resolution if any, will be hard if the competition is a ghost.

So you came to that conclusion too, huh? I figured Cassidy was dead from an overdose, too...but he could be very much alive, and just "out of Anderson's life" due to some disagreement... We'll just have to wait and see what Chase has in store for us... I, like several of you, found Chase's method of leaving us with a cliffhanger to be...ingenious, it was very subtle, a nice change from most cliffhangers here. specool.gif

Edited by kjames

Like David, I love the 'exotic' quality of this story. Although it features a couple of well-known locations (the subway system and Central Park, in particular), they're written in such a gritty way that you can't help but be drawn into Anderson's world. And while some authors are known to simply name-drop famous locations and let the reader do all the work, I like the effort that Chase has put into bringing Anderson's 'world' to life.

I also agree with Nephylim's comments about 'actions without consequences' (something I also touched on in the 'Sneak Peeks' thread for this story). And like Benji, I also got the feeling that Anderson's lifestyle had somehow contributed to Cassidy's death. But like Nephylim, I think Anderson's state of mind is a far more devastating consequence than any judiciary could ever impose.

And just to add my own psychoanalysis (cos I know you just love that shit, Chase ;)), I suspect that Anderson's 'top of the world!' attitude is little more than a facade. In the right company, under the wrong influences, I sense his whole lifestyle is gonna unravel on him.

If it does, it's gonna make for fascinating reading.

Look forward to chapter two!

No dull moments here, folks! :2thumbs:

Dad's an ass.

This Cassidy thing is most intriguing. Must be A's id or alter ego, or conscience...or maybe A's just seeing dead people. That's been done already you know, Chase? :lol:

I felt like I was in a race reading these two chapters. I was the hare in The Tortoise and The Hare...I raced like hell knowing I was gonna lose anyway. :wacko:

To hell with consequences.

Anderson is full of himself...or something. He is interested only in himself; his interest in others is only for sex or drugs or some other form of gratification. He probably gets this from his father who shows no interest in Anderson. Actually, he sounds like someone I know.

Now he has Berkley taking the bait and will likely set the hook before Movement 3 comes to an end. We can hope that Berkley isn't so innocent as he seems. Maybe he can out-Anderson Anderson.

Anderson's self-assured performance at the Julliard auditions was a riot, but my favorite scene is the impromptu arson.

OK, Chase, we've had our 15 minute intermission.

B)........................Anderson is an ass, it is easy to see he takes after his dad who seem to be just as annoyed by the visit. Something akin to the yearly check-up with the dentist, it has to be done. A clue into Cassidy? I now think that perhaps he was Anderson's older brother, in which case the death may have no bearing on Anderson's nosedive into his self destruction. I also get the idea Christmas must have been the time of Cassidy's death, given Anderson's plea to his dad about the holiday. I hope Berkley doesn't become the flavor of the day and thrown out, maybe he will see through Anderson as what he is and brush the crap aside. Cassidy seems to know! Great story Chase, keep it up!

There's a chink in the armour. Brought on by Berkley no less. Well, the drugs helped.

Why isn't Berkley running for the hills? I appreciate his angst, but why does he appear to want to fix things with A? Why would he even want to try given the interaction at the skating rink? Oh, I forgot, humans do dumb shit.

Anderson comes across as selfish and selfabsorbed with his friends, yet he's generous and considerate of his driver and housekeeper. Odd.

I really want Cassisidy to answer A's question, "Why did you do it?" I think I may have to wait for that answer.

Fascinating tale, Chase! :worship::worship:

• 1 month later...

Ah yes... it felt like an ending. It's a shame. This was... is .. one of my favourite stories. Your characterisation skills are amazing... even when we hate them we have to love them.... even when we are shocked we are secretly smiling.

I think that Berkley is in for a rocky ride but it's going to be fun. Thanks for taking us on the journey... it was a great ride