Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes Chapter 50

Normally I just do this with Dan but...

WHERE'S 51!!!

/ducking

On a serious note - VERY much enjoyed 50 though

once you mentioned Prime Minister, I had a feeling their destination was Israel and it is a fantastic solution to everyone's issues

Lastly, I'm hoping that floor of the hotel is a bit crowded - you know, so maybe some people, like say Keith and Brian, would have to double up - just to help with the crowding, ya, that's it...

Excellent, excellent chapter, CJ!! :worship::worship:

I particularly liked the Israeli involvement. I have always admired their military and special ops prowess.

Also looks like some US bureaucrats may get flattened on the political tarmac. Their choice seemed to be either allowing a nuclear Iran or admitting their idiocy. Easy choice for a bureaucrat. :P

So while Bradson is busy doing final clean-up, the boys can relax and have a pool party!!! :wub::2thumbs:

WHERE'S 51!!!

/ducking

once you mentioned Prime Minister, I had a feeling their destination was Israel and it is a fantastic solution to everyone's issues

Lastly, I'm hoping that floor of the hotel is a bit crowded - you know, so maybe some people, like say Keith and Brian, would have to double up - just to help with the crowding, ya, that's it...

I so agree with the keith and brian situation :D

Found it intriguing with the iran situation, and Israel. Now how will they deliver their innocence and will they believe it..

Excellent, excellent chapter, CJ!! :worship: :worship:

As usual with CJ, the next ones will be the same.

BTW, Israel in this story seems to be more like the Israel of a few years ago and not the Israel of today, with its internal perpetual political fightings :( .

oh it sounds so much that the general will have to carry out the plan

sounds like a nice honeymoon for the general and fel

the other thing is getting the band name cleared

and graeme demoted for acting "Stupidly" :lmao:

B)....................It was kinda anti-climatic after Scars skydiving lesson, oh well, it was truly a relief to be able to relax after having everything but the kitchen sink thrown at you.

Message portion deleted by NSA

on top of that Massad would have

all in all Helen and Instinct got the better part of the deal getting an extra $5 million, seeing that Mossad

made sure that the bombs would never

. Excellent Chapter CJ! Cudos for

and of course the others. Now that the hard work is done, time for the political fallout! Mr. Graeme will undoubtfully be reassigned to a lovely listening post in northern Alaska or have

with his balls intact! CJ, Looking forward to the last and epilogue of this saga, a great ride thank-you very much!! We have decided to

Message portion deleted by NSA and by a lawsuit filed against the goat on behalf of Jane, mother of the band Instinct for ruining her holiday

and of course you are very deserving of such!!

Edited by Benji
  • Like 2

WHERE'S 51!!!

/ducking

Lol!

51 will be here, barring any last second hiccups, on Tuesday. I'll be posting the epilogue with it, and changing the story tag to "Completed". :)

Excellent, excellent chapter, CJ!!

I particularly liked the Israeli involvement. I have always admired their military and special ops prowess.

Also looks like some US bureaucrats may get flattened on the political tarmac. Their choice seemed to be either allowing a nuclear Iran or admitting their idiocy. Easy choice for a bureaucrat.

So while Bradson is busy doing final clean-up, the boys can relax and have a pool party!!! :wub::2thumbs:

Their military and spec-opps have always been the best, and I've long been an admirer of their skill and daring. The rescue mission to Entebbe was a logistical classic, and the raid on Osirak brilliantly executed. The recent takedown of the Syrian nuke facility, right in the teeth of Russia's most advanced air-defense systems, was also a masterwork of planning and tactics.

I so agree with the keith and brian situation :D

Found it intriguing with the iran situation, and Israel. Now how will they deliver their innocence and will they believe it..

There are still a lot of unresolved issues, and just one chapter remaining. However, all will be resolved. :)

Excellent, excellent chapter, CJ!! :worship: :worship:

As usual with CJ, the next ones will be the same.

BTW, Israel in this story seems to be more like the Israel of a few years ago and not the Israel of today, with its internal perpetual political fightings :( .

I had to paint a simple picture regarding Israel, so I limited the "on camera" bits to just the Mossad director (Levi Gold). I had to, otherwise I'd have had a lot of confusing detail.

You're right; Israeli politics in recent decades are something I have issues with myself; they've been internally divided, lots of infighting, and IMHO this division and turmoil has allowed the terrorists (Hamas, Hezbollah, etc) to get stronger and more daring.

Just my opinion.

I'd still like to know what really happened to the USS liberty. The official explanation has glaring holes in it; I know a bit about military C3 (command, control, communications) and there are flaws in the story, big ones. There are certainly disquieting reports by some US officers involved in the investigation, too.

On the flip side, the conspiracy theory that the Israelis intentionally attacked the ship makes zero sense; Israel depended on the US, to a degree, for its existence. The US was also its most powerful ally. Therefor, all other considerations aside, they would have been risking their national existence by commiting an intentional act of war against America. (they were already in the midst of a fight, the 1967 war, and the outcome at that time was uncertain). From any plausible risk-benefit analysis, that makes no sense. To do so would have been insane, and thus it could not have been an intentional act by the Israeli government. (that, however, does not necessarily rule out a rogue officer)

There is a fairly even handed article on wikipedia about the attack.

There are a few grave flaws with the reasoning of both sides. Firstly, naval identification. Much has been made of the fact that the Liberty was twice the size of the Egyptian transport it may have been mistake for. This is utterly meaningless because size is the hardest thing to estimate when looking at a ship absent a frame of reference. On the horizon it is easier, but from the air, not so. During WWII ships were misidentified as to size and type far more often than they were correctly identified, for this very reason.

Secondly, the flag issue; the liberty crew claims the flag was flying. The Isreilis claim they saw no flag. The real issue, not mentioned anywhere: which was was the wind blowing, and at what speed? Based on some photos I've seen, I've tentatively determined that the wind was from the south. Liberty's course was North. Therefor, IMHO, it is likly that the over-the-deck windspeed may have been zero. If that's the case, the flag would hang on the poll and both sides could be right; it was there, but not seen. I've never seen this particular issue discussed anywhere.

That Graeme... He's trouble, isn't he? 0:)

B)....................It was kinda anti-climatic after Scars skydiving lesson, oh well, it was truly a relief to be able to relax after having everything but the kitchen sink thrown at you.

on top of that Massad would have

all in all Helen and Instinct got the better part of the deal getting an extra $5 million, seeing that Mossad

made sure that the bombs would never

. Excellent Chapter CJ! Cudos for

and of course the others. Now that the hard work is done, time for the political fallout! Mr. Graeme will undoubtfully be reassigned to a lovely listening post in northern Alaska or have

with his balls intact! CJ, Looking forward to the last and epilogue of this saga, a great ride thank-you very much!! We have decided to

Message portion deleted by NSA and by a lawsuit filed against the goat on behalf of Jane, mother of the band Instinct for ruining her holiday

and of course you are very deserving of such!!

:worship:

Benji, that was superb!!!!

Hrmmm, Maybe Mr. Graeme will end up being exiled to his ancestral home in Australia, and go back into the family Echidna-ranching business? 0:)

CJ.....Thank you, I really am speechless.

I'll comment more later.

Steve cool.gif

Thank you Steve, and Welcome back. :)

Okay, now, the next chapter is the final one. Its called "Changing the Game". I'll be posting the epilogue with it.

There is a great deal to wrap up in just one chapter, isn't there? :) Yet, all will be wrapped up, and there are no plans for a sequel.

Do bear in mind that there is one easy way to wrap it all up..... :nuke:

0:)

Any speculations on what will happen? :)

CJ :)

Hmm - is a nuclear attack (which may well lead to a wider, nuclear conflict) better because it was started by Israel than Iran? I'm pretty sure that CJ won't let that happen, but that's what we seem to be being told here.

I'm also slightly disappointed at the caricature of the Obama administration's attempts to establish some kind of links to Iran. I realise I'm just a wishy-washy liberal, but sooner or later there has to be an alternative found to the military being used as the principle negotiating technique. They have their place, of course, but it is surely a matter of regret that their existence is necessary.

I still think it's a great story, though, and I'm looking forward to the conclusion. I know it'll be OK, but I want to read it, just to be sure.

Hmm - is a nuclear attack (which may well lead to a wider, nuclear conflict) better because it was started by Israel than Iran? I'm pretty sure that CJ won't let that happen, but that's what we seem to be being told here.

I'm also slightly disappointed at the caricature of the Obama administration's attempts to establish some kind of links to Iran. I realise I'm just a wishy-washy liberal, but sooner or later there has to be an alternative found to the military being used as the principle negotiating technique. They have their place, of course, but it is surely a matter of regret that their existence is necessary.

I still think it's a great story, though, and I'm looking forward to the conclusion. I know it'll be OK, but I want to read it, just to be sure.

Whoa! Changing Lanes was plotted out before Obama won the nomination, let alone the election and took office. :) I can prove this, sort of... Look back at the early chapters and then the thread dates for them; that will give you the posting dates, and you'll see that the ones where the fictional administration's Iran policies are portrayed (when Brian was captured and the administration left him to die for diplomatic reasons) were posted over a year ago, at a time when McCain led in the polls.

Changing Lanes is also (per some references to 9-11 in LTMP) set a few years in our future (the exact amount is not specified, so it's an indeterminate amount, but would have to be less than about six years), which could put it past 2012, so Obama might not be in office in the timeframe depicted. I didn't mention a political party, at all, for that reason. :) I'll also mention that, the last time I checked, Toowoomba isn't a smoking hole in the ground in our world, and Cumbre Vieja hasn't erupted yet. :)

I'm glad you raised this issue, because I had concerns it might come across that way. I'm no fan of Obama, but any similarities between his administration's policies and the ones in Changing Lanes are not my doing. (and yes, even the crack Helen made a few chapters ago regarding tax cheats in high office was drafted well before the events it seemingly refers to in our world took place. I almost deleted it because of the impression it might give, but in the end I decided to keep it.)

CJ :)

• Site Administrator

I'll just say that CJ discussed his concerns above with me several weeks ago. I can confirm that he had plotted those items well before the last USA presidential election.

As for his comments about Mr. Graeme... if CJ has trouble sitting down for the next few days, you can blame the fact that Graeme's can be prickly characters at times 0:) Just be glad he didn't name the undersecretary Donal Graeme, Ian Graeme or Kensie Graeme, or he would be in major trouble :D If you are wondering where those names come from, they're from one of my favourite SF series.

• Site Administrator

I'll just say that CJ discussed his concerns above with me several weeks ago. I can confirm that he had plotted those items well before the last USA presidential election.

As for his comments about Mr. Graeme... if CJ has trouble sitting down for the next few days, you can blame the fact that Graeme's can be prickly characters at times innocent.gif Just be glad he didn't name the undersecretary Donal Graeme, Ian Graeme or Kensie Graeme, or he would be in major trouble biggrin.gif If you are wondering where those names come from, they're from one of my favourite SF series.

Geez, after the characterization of "Graeme" in the story, you expect us to believe this post of yours laugh.gif ?

Just kidding.....I don't think I'm ready for acupuncture quite yet.

As far as the story goes, I was impressed with how CJ used Israel and exactly how he used them in the story. I think I brought up the fact several chapters ago that Helen and General Bradson were kind of limited to which countries they would be able to go to with the bombs. I had eliminated Israel due to their perceived image of being an non nuclear country.

So here is my big question, Israel is looking at the bombs and have paid Helen 5 million more than what she and the band had paid. But when the Israelis are done with them they are giving them back to Helen and and band.

Does this mean that Helen and Instinct are still going to be stuck with two live nukes, or are the Israelis going to strip the bombs and give them back two useless shells?

I'd also imagine with the influence of an Israeli government on the US government, all charges will be dropped and the Undersecretary will be sent scrambling looking for some place safe to hide.....like Australia specool.gif .

Steve cool.gif

So here is my big question, Israel is looking at the bombs and have paid Helen 5 million more than what she and the band had paid. But when the Israelis are done with them they are giving them back to Helen and and band.

Does this mean that Helen and Instinct are still going to be stuck with two live nukes, or are the Israelis going to strip the bombs and give them back two useless shells?

Steve B)

B)...............You basically answered your own question! I was surprised the General was allowed to fly into Israel with two live nuke bombs, but the intelligence coup was too much to pass over, 35 million was well spent. Mossad is not going to let someone fly over Israel airspace with live nukes, I imagine all fusible material will be removed. So what to do with the nukes now? If the US wants them, Instinct should make them pay again, publicly apologize and completely clearing their names. Otherwise have the C-130 loaded and dumped into the Atlantic, two less nukes in the world is ok with me!!

No need for this at all - of course I believe CJ. Why wouldn't I? Sorry - that sounds a bit short, which absolutely isn't my intention but my ability to rephrase it seems to have abandoned me for now. I don't want to get into politics - as a European, I probably have a very different view of who's best in the White House than an American. Suffice it to say that there was near-universal rejoicing over here after the election.

Back at the story, meantime, is there any proof that it wasn't Instinct that set off the nuclear bomb that started the eruption? It was set off by remote control, and they've gone to some lengths to convince the US government that they have several bombs in their possession - the only ones on the island as far as anyone knows. The only proof that the Scar was ever there is now at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Isn't it as least as likely that those in the government who have been trying to dump the guys in it will simply hold that line and just add to the list of charges?

OK, Instinct have their money back, but is that sufficient recompense for never being able to go home? Israel is, I'm sure, a beautiful country, but it'll never be home.

No need for this at all - of course I believe CJ. Why wouldn't I? Sorry - that sounds a bit short, which absolutely isn't my intention but my ability to rephrase it seems to have abandoned me for now. I don't want to get into politics - as a European, I probably have a very different view of who's best in the White House than an American. Suffice it to say that there was near-universal rejoicing over here after the election.

Back at the story, meantime, is there any proof that it wasn't Instinct that set off the nuclear bomb that started the eruption? It was set off by remote control, and they've gone to some lengths to convince the US government that they have several bombs in their possession - the only ones on the island as far as anyone knows. The only proof that the Scar was ever there is now at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Isn't it as least as likely that those in the government who have been trying to dump the guys in it will simply hold that line and just add to the list of charges?

OK, Instinct have their money back, but is that sufficient recompense for never being able to go home? Israel is, I'm sure, a beautiful country, but it'll never be home.

The General made sure some of Scars DNA was left on the plane (blood) just before he decided to jump out of a perfect good plane 0:). You can also be sure that the US will be sending troops and a team on the island real soon, to confirm the story. I can only guess that Jim & Linda were far enough away from the tunnel that their bodies were not incinerated by the nuke blast. Scar's body, what is left of it shouldn't be too hard to find!

• Site Moderator

I'll just say that soon all the answers will come out, one way or another.

On the other had, when the last parts are posted next week, I will be re-opening the poll topic that I started and closed. I know some of you are disappointed you couldn't comment. You'll get your chance to roast CJ and myself.

As for his comments about Mr. Graeme... if CJ has trouble sitting down for the next few days, you can blame the fact that Graeme's can be prickly characters at times 0:) Just be glad he didn't name the undersecretary Donal Graeme, Ian Graeme or Kensie Graeme, or he would be in major trouble :D If you are wondering where those names come from, they're from one of my favourite SF series.

Thanks Graeme!

Most of Changing Lanes was plotted out in March or April of last year. At the time, I was concerned that it would come across as far-fetched for a US administration to act as portrayed towards the thugocracy in Iran. I was, when plotting, of the opinion that McCain would be the most likly winner, and I did not view him as soft on Iran. The fact that some now see enough similarities between the Obama admin and the administration in Changing Lanes is the fault of the Obama admin, not me.

I make no secret of the fact that I'm not fond of the current administration. I also have no objection when other authors use their stories to do a send-up of a politician they dislike (I've found some of those very well done) but, I didn't want it in Changing Lanes. I seriously considered changing the story slightly, such as a reference to the president with a female pronoun, to show that its not Obama.

In the end, I decided not to. I've long said (and substantiated with some date references in LTMP) that LTMP and Changing Lanes are set "a few years in out future". Therefor, it could be near-term so the president portrayed MIGHT be obama. It could also very well be after 2012, so it may very well NOT be Obama. In the end, I decided to leave it up to the reader's minds, and one fact or that was my own pig-headed (goat-headed, actually) stubborness; I didn't want real-world events to make me change my story.

I was also concerned that my portrayal of Iran as being on the verge of revolution against the regime would look implausible. I did indeed know that Iran had massive internal unrest and resistance to its regime, because the middle east is one of my interests. What I didn't know was that the regime would be dumb enough to bring it to the surface (and thus the world's attention) with a blatantly rigged election.

Geez, after the characterization of "Graeme" in the story, you expect us to believe this post of yours laugh.gif ?

Just kidding.....I don't think I'm ready for acupuncture quite yet.

As far as the story goes, I was impressed with how CJ used Israel and exactly how he used them in the story. I think I brought up the fact several chapters ago that Helen and General Bradson were kind of limited to which countries they would be able to go to with the bombs. I had eliminated Israel due to their perceived image of being an non nuclear country.

I'd also imagine with the influence of an Israeli government on the US government, all charges will be dropped and the Undersecretary will be sent scrambling looking for some place safe to hide.....like Australia specool.gif .

Steve cool.gif

Yes, that Mr. Graeme... He of the prickly personality. :ph34r:

There's always Eric's helpful suggestion of using a nuke on a paparazzi convention. LoL

B)...............You basically answered your own question! I was surprised the General was allowed to fly into Israel with two live nuke bombs, but the intelligence coup was too much to pass over, 35 million was well spent. Mossad is not going to let someone fly over Israel airspace with live nukes, I imagine all fusible material will be removed. So what to do with the nukes now? If the US wants them, Instinct should make them pay again, publicly apologize and completely clearing their names. Otherwise have the C-130 loaded and dumped into the Atlantic, two less nukes in the world is ok with me!!

The course from the west to the airbase (which is in the Negev)is fairly lightly populated. They also had the F-15's standing by to blow Flight Three out of the air if it headed for a city. :)

As for what will happen next, I dare not say (That would be a spoiler, and it is best not to provoke the Echidna).

You raise good points. I can't comment on what will happen in 51 and the epilogue, but I can on posted text. :) Helen has a tape of The Scar, and his DNA (the already have his DNA profile, per the ending of LTMP)is all over the plane that remains on La Palma. Also, The Scar fell on land; his body may well be found.

Your line that I highlighted, is spot-on. That's why the final chapter is called "Changing the game". I doubt anyone is expecting what happens. :)

I'll just say that soon all the answers will come out, one way or another.

On the other had, when the last parts are posted next week, I will be re-opening the poll topic that I started and closed. I know some of you are disappointed you couldn't comment. You'll get your chance to roast CJ and myself.

Yes, go roast Jan, for leaving us with a CLIFFHANGER!!!!

:P

Don't your Majesty, I've got Talons of Steel, and beak to match! :devil:

B).........Humm, Talon of Steel, also known as shearer of trees, feller of adobes, beaks of magic, tongue of........Whoa!! The goats spell has influenced many!!! 0:)

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..