Just Wondering....

Would you guys ever consider just 'stopping' work on a story for lack of interest? Like...if you really got behind a story, but it didn't quite 'pop' the way you wanted it to....would you stop, or keep going?

I'm wondering. Because I've got a few ideas that I'm thinking...hmmmm...maybe 'later'. I love the ideas! But it would be a waste of time if they end up falling flat, you know?

What would you guys do?

Depends. How do you really know there really is lack of interest?

For instance: "My only escape". I really like that one. I keep serching for 13. But I havent emailed you telling you this. (Bad Kanaye! *Slaps wrist*)

I don't write long stories, just for this reason. Though its more of an 'what if I lose interest and people are waiting on me' thing.

See what others, who really know what they are talking about, say. I'm just throwing in my two cents. (Forgive me?)

Kanaye

My interpretation of what you are asking is ... what if the writer ran out of steam rather than what if no one was reading the story. I can empathise with this because it happens to me all the time. Sometimes I get an idea that carries me through to 100k plus words but sometimes the idea plays itself out in much less. So do I press on and hope for inspiration or do I put them on the back burner until something comes to me or I get interested again. This is the reason why I now (generally0 don't start posting a story until it's finished.

It happens to me all the time and I have about 15 stories in my unfinished forder. Some of them are only 10 - 20k but most of them are around 60k. I never force myself to write. If I do it doesn't work. If I lose the muse I leave the story.

As far as your ideas go.. I would say write them in outline and see if anything runs. If not put them in a folder and read them now and again to see if anything flows then.

Hmmm....good question, actually.

How do I know that a story is going over well?

I guess it's just the reaction and the feel that I get from the people who read it. Like...I always keep an eye on those kinds of things. Say....I post "Random Story #1"...and I get fifteen emails about it, and the Library has ten posts from people who are excited about the next chapter. To me...I can look at that and say, "Ok...so that story has some real interest behind it. The 'reviews' were good. I should definitely keep working hard to make sure this momentum keeps going. As long as they're enjoying it. Awesome!" This all happens, usually, within the first two or three days.

But if I post "Random Story #2"....and I don't get ANY emails, and the library has maybe two or three posts about it and no more...then I'm usually faced with a dilemma. People obviously think this story isn't all that great, and they aren't at all excited about it. So should I push forward with it...or should I work on something the fanbase seems to enjoy more?

Now, there's something to be said for the 'invisible audience', which, like you said, read but don't necessarily comment one way or the other. And that's fine. No harm, no foul. Because of that, I've got a few people that I know will ALWAYS comment on the latest story, and I kinda use their feedback as a way to gauge how certain chapters were. One or two of them, I even give them a little bit of a preview, just to see what they think before I post it 'live'....or whatever. It might only be two or three people that help me out...but I seriously count on them to give me a perspective that I can't get on my own.

Anyway....does that make a story a success or a failure? Hmmm..I guess it depends on how I feel about the story in those first few days. If I'm confident about the chapter, then it's fine either way. But if I feel antsy or insecure about how a certain chapter is gonna be received...no feedback = no interest. And I'm liable to give that story a loooong rest until I think I can make it better. (Like "Magic Man", "Always",or the 4 "GFD" story starters I wrote a long time ago.) The inspiration for ME is still there....but writing something that I think nobody is reading is like....blah!

The writing, I do just for me. The POSTING....I do to 'entertain'. And if people aren't entertained, then I should be using my time for something else. You know?

Kind of. But for me the reviews are just icing on the cake... not necessary to be able to enjoy the chocolate chips. I write for me and I post for anyone who wants to read it. I have noticed that some stories have almost 20,000 hits but less than 30 comments... and most of those are by the same people. I take the view that if one person ready the chapter and enjoys it then that's reason enough to post the next one. And as I never know whether the people who don't comment are enjoying it I just assume that they are... but then I am generally a bit of a Pollyanna so... :)

If you're writing for you, I'd say stick where the inspiration is. Sometimes a story has to go on hold until you're into it again. I know for me I'd rather put out something I put an effort into, not something that was forced.

As for not being sure about a story, have you tried posting in the sneak peak section? It's a good place to go if you're looking to see what kind of interest people will have before you post to the site. I know that sometimes knowing there's an interest can inspire a writer to keep writing something, and I've gotten a lot of honest feedback posting there in the past, before I decide if I'm going to keep writing something. Just a thought, as it might help with the insecure thing. :)

• 4 months later...

Hmmm....good question, actually.

How do I know that a story is going over well?

I guess it's just the reaction and the feel that I get from the people who read it. Like...I always keep an eye on those kinds of things. Say....I post "Random Story #1"...and I get fifteen emails about it, and the Library has ten posts from people who are excited about the next chapter. To me...I can look at that and say, "Ok...so that story has some real interest behind it. The 'reviews' were good. I should definitely keep working hard to make sure this momentum keeps going. As long as they're enjoying it. Awesome!" This all happens, usually, within the first two or three days.

But if I post "Random Story #2"....and I don't get ANY emails, and the library has maybe two or three posts about it and no more...then I'm usually faced with a dilemma. People obviously think this story isn't all that great, and they aren't at all excited about it. So should I push forward with it...or should I work on something the fanbase seems to enjoy more?

Now, there's something to be said for the 'invisible audience', which, like you said, read but don't necessarily comment one way or the other. And that's fine. No harm, no foul. Because of that, I've got a few people that I know will ALWAYS comment on the latest story, and I kinda use their feedback as a way to gauge how certain chapters were. One or two of them, I even give them a little bit of a preview, just to see what they think before I post it 'live'....or whatever. It might only be two or three people that help me out...but I seriously count on them to give me a perspective that I can't get on my own.

Anyway....does that make a story a success or a failure? Hmmm..I guess it depends on how I feel about the story in those first few days. If I'm confident about the chapter, then it's fine either way. But if I feel antsy or insecure about how a certain chapter is gonna be received...no feedback = no interest. And I'm liable to give that story a loooong rest until I think I can make it better. (Like "Magic Man", "Always",or the 4 "GFD" story starters I wrote a long time ago.) The inspiration for ME is still there....but writing something that I think nobody is reading is like....blah!

The writing, I do just for me. The POSTING....I do to 'entertain'. And if people aren't entertained, then I should be using my time for something else. You know?

I find it somewhat ironic that I just today sent you an email describing how much I loved the different way that you approached "Magic Man", and now I see you seemingly *poo pooing* it. (Magic Man)

I AM learning though! I'm just a little mouse in a big maze.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..